Bb.

Love Time

 

 

“Yooyoung-ah, I think Jeon Jungkook is looking at you.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

There. I’ve been watching him from just now. He just keeps staring at you.”

 

“Ah, that couldn’t be. Why would he be looking at me?”

 

Her best friend, Hayoung, made a face at her as though disagreeing. “Ey, this girl. I’m telling you – he’s been staring at you since just now! Oh wait, he’s coming over now!”

 

Yooyoung could feel her heart clenching up and the insides of her stomach twisting into triple tight knots. She scrambled to pick up her spoon and fork, pretending to be completely absorbed in her food – even though all that was left were a few greens and beans which she actually disliked.

 

She heard someone clearing his throat loudly, and slowly (even though she wanted to bolt out of there as quickly as she could) lifted up her head to meet Jungkook’s droopy gaze.

 

“Hello, Yooyoung,” he said cheerfully.

 

She swallowed hard, suddenly unable to find her voice and speak out. Until she felt something hard kicking her shin underneath the table, did Yooyoung finally remembered how to breathe.

 

“H-hi!” she squeaked out before she could even stop herself. “I-I mean, hello Jungkook,” her voice turned a pitch lower. “What can I do for you?”

 

“I was wondering…if you’re free tomorrow night?”

 

Yooyoung giggled nervously. “Ah, tomorrow…I don’t think so. I mean – yes, I’m free. Quite free. Definitely free.”

 

Another kick.

 

“Cool,” Jungkook grinned as he shifted his weight from one foot to the other. “Would you like to watch a movie with me then? There’s this new horror movie – “

 

“Horror?”

 

“Yes…you don’t like those? It’s fine then, we can just – “

 

“No!” Yooyoung denied quickly. “Horror’s fine. I love scaring myself out occasionally.” The corner of her lips curved up into one, tight smile.

 

“Awesome. I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

 

“Sure! See you.”

 

The two girls waited until Jungkook walked away from their table and went back to join his friends, before Hayoung turned towards her now stunned-and-totally in daze best friend.

 

“You’re such a big, fat liar Lee Yooyoung.”

 

A loud, resigned sigh escaped her lips as Yooyoung tore her gaze away from Jungkook’s retreating figure and shot her friend a helpless look.

 

“I know, right.”

 

 

 

 

That night, after dinner, Yooyoung quietly crept towards her second brother’s room, which was situated on the opposite side of hers. She paused outside his door for a moment, before knocking on it lightly.

 

“Come in,” she heard him calling out.

 

Yooyoung pushed open the door and found Chanshik curled up on his neatly made bed with a new book in his hands. She quickly closed the door behind her before jumping onto his bed.

 

“Why aren’t you asleep yet? Don’t you have school tomorrow?”

 

“Oppa, I have something to tell you.”

 

“Hmm?” Chanshik replied distractedly as he flipped on to the next page.

 

“Are you listening?”

 

“Yes, Yooyoungie. I am. What is it?”

 

 “Oppa, will you be mad if I tell you there’s someone I like from school?”

 

Chanshik was silent for awhile, before a small, teasing smile started to spread across his face.

 

“Ah, our maknae already has a crush on someone? Who is it? Is he more handsome than oppa?”

 

“Of course,” Yooyoung answered without missing a beat.

 

Chanshik’s eyes widened as he pretended to be hurt. “Really? Wah, Yooyoung-ah. I thought you said I would always be your number 1.”

 

“You still are. Between the three of you, that is.”

 

Chanshik took a pillow and hit her face lightly with it. “Thank you for being honest. Okay seriously, who is it? Do I know him?”

 

Yooyoung stared up at the bare white ceiling above them and coyly said, “Maybe, yes. Maybe, no.”

 

“Ah, I know who it is.”

 

“Who?”

 

“It’s Jungkook, isn’t it?”

 

“Ah, oppa. How did you know? This is no fun.”

 

“Do you take me for a fool?” he chuckled. “Why did you think I started going to his house instead of letting him come here?”

 

“OH.”

 

“So, have you told him about your crush?” Chanshik teased.

 

“Of course not!”

 

“Then?”

 

“He asked me out for a movie tomorrow night,” Yooyoung admitted as she fidgeted with the hem of her night shirt. “Can I go?”

 

Chanshik studied his sister’s face carefully, taking in every inch of her now grown up features. He didn’t even realise how much time had passed, just how much his precious little Yooyoung had grown. He still remembers holding her hand as they sent off their parents for the last time. He remembers how awfully quiet she had been while so many people were fussing around them. A lot of crying was involved, but Yooyoung hadn’t shed a single tear. Chanshik knew it wasn’t because she didn’t care – but because ever since she was small, Yooyoung had already been the strongest person among them. If Taemin was the one picking fights with the other kids and Jongin would be the one running home crying about being teased of their dead parents, Yooyoung was the one who stood tall and remained unfazed.

 

And Chanshik also knows, how hard and how much they’ve been trying to protect her from all the bad in this world. It was time, to let her take the first step into reality.

 

“I know.”

 

Yooyoung’s brows furrowed in confusion. “Know what?”

 

“Jungkook has talked to me. He asked for my permission yesterday, after our tuition session, to take you out for a date.”

 

“And you didn’t tell me?!”

 

“Hey, I wasn’t about to ruin the surprise. He just wanted me to know first, before he formally asked you. He knows how protective I can get over you.”

 

“Really?” her frown gradually turned into a smile. It was nice knowing that Jungkook had gone the extra length to ask for her brother’s permission beforehand. He seemed serious and respectable enough. Different from what she has heard about the other boys in school.

 

“You can go.”

 

Yooyoung immediately sat up straight. “Seriously?”

 

“Sure. He’s a nice kid. You’ll have a fun time.”

 

She threw her arms around her brother’s neck and hugged him tightly, Chanshik thought she would’ve squeezed the life out of him. “Thank you so much, oppa!”

 

“R-right,” he choked. “Y-you’re welcome.”

 

Thankfully, she released him soon after. “Should I tell Taemin oppa about this too?”

 

“I’ll talk to him later. Just go and have fun.”

 

Yooyoung grinned gleefully and planted a quick peck on his cheek. “Goodnight, oppa. Thanks, again.”

 

 

 

 

Yooyoung had put on her favourite pastel pink knee-length dress, matched with a pair of high cut boots and a grey oversized coat to finish off the whole outfit. It was her first time out on a date (or so she liked to think it was) hence she had no idea what she was supposed to wear. Eventually, Chanshik advised her to just go with an outfit she’d be comfortable in.

 

After dropping her off in front of the mall, Chanshik had driven off, but not before reminding her that he’ll come by later to pick her up. Yooyoung had agreed, not knowing that her brother was actually tailing her secretly from behind.

 

It wasn’t that he didn’t trust Jungkook – but he simply wanted to do it just so he could feel at ease.

 

 

 

 

Yooyoung was absentmindedly reading off the movie names on the list, when a pair of hands suddenly covered her eyes from behind.

 

“Guess who,” the voice whispered.

 

Yooyoung laughed nervously. “Well, I hope it’s you, Jungkook, because I’d go home right now if it’s someone else.”

 

She whirled around as soon as he released his grip and was greeted by Jungkook’s laugh. He waved his hand at her and said, “Sorry I’m a little late. Did I keep you waiting long?”

 

“No,” Yooyoung smiled. “Not at all. I’ve just reached too.”

 

“Shall we go get the tickets now?” He extended out his left arm for her to take.

 

“Sure,” Yooyoung beamed as she linked arms with him and made their way to the front of the counter together.

 

 

 

 

Chanshik who was watching the whole exchange from behind one of the white pillars could only shake his head. Must be nice to have someone, he thought to himself.

 

He waited until the two kids entered the movie theatre, before he leisurely made his way towards the counter they previously purchased their tickets from.

 

“Hello,” he said politely. “Can I have one ticket for whatever movie they had bought earlier?”

 

The girl who was working behind the counter looked confused for a moment, before realisation hit her and she smiled. “Oh, the cute couple just now? Sure, just a minute.”

 

Cute?

 

Couple?

 

“Oh, preferably a few seats behind them. No, I’m not stalking don’t worry.”

 

“You know that’s usually what a stalker would say,” she said as she handed over his ticket. “But I hope you’ll enjoy the show, sir.”

 

“Thank you,” Chanshik thanked her and paid for his ticket.