Aa.

Love Time

 

 

Yooyoung has been living under the watchful eyes of her older brothers ever since she was 5 years old – ever since their parents died in a horrific car accident. At that time, the eldest son of the Lee’s had merely reached the tender age of 8 and the two of them, along with their other two siblings were put under their aunt’s protection; the only other guardian they had that could take the four of them in.

 

Life hasn’t always been rainbows and butterflies. She didn’t understand it then – why their parents had to leave them with meanie Auntie Juyeon or why they couldn’t take her along to heaven (which she had been told is such a beautiful place). She didn’t know why she was never allowed to play with the other kids who lived nearby or why they were so afraid of her oldest brother (whom they claimed had an ugly snarl – even though Yooyoung never believed it because Taemin oppa has always been nice and caring towards her, minus the times when he was being annoying and kept her in the house instead of letting her play outside). She didn’t get why Chanshik oppa had to hold her hand every time she climbs up the playground, or slid down the slide. Or why Jongin oppa insisted on walking home together every single time, even though she finished classes earlier than him sometimes.

 

She actually felt suffocated about the fact that she had to be accompanied to everywhere she went, until, until she finally reached high school.

 

It was also when she was 17 that she met a boy she actually liked for the first time.

 

A very special boy.

 

 

 

 

Jeon Jungkook lived a few blocks down the street from them. He also attended the same high school as Yooyoung, even though they only had a couple of classes together. While she mainly kept to her close knit of friends, he mostly hung out with the popular clique in school. Very often, she’d see him play basketball with his friends as she walked past the court on the way home. Sometimes, he’d catch her eye and flashed her a grin, to which she returned with a shy smile and butterflies in her stomach. Eventually, he started waving at her and she’d bashfully wave back, even though her heart was bursting with happiness inside.

 

Yooyoung realised then, that she actually liked Jeon Jungkook.

 

She liked him a lot.

 

 

 

 

She got to see more of him when Chanshik oppa started tutoring him after school. The first time he had come over her house, Yooyoung had just finished bathing with hair still dripping wet when she opened the door. She nearly slammed the door in his face due to sudden surprise, but thankfully her brother came up and rescued her from doing anything embarrassing.

 

Ever since that day, Yooyoung could’ve sworn she felt Jungkook’s eyes on her every time she walked past the dining table where they studied.

 

Chanshik oppa must’ve noticed it too because not long after they began, he told Jungkook that he’d go over his house instead so the latter need not come over anymore.

 

Yooyoung could only protest in silence.

 

 

 

 

It was Jongin’s turn to prepare the dinner that night. And Yooyoung also knew if she didn’t step in to help him, the four of them would starve the whole night, seeing how hopeless her brother could be in the kitchen.

 

“Oppa, can you pass me the garlic?”

 

A red bowl was handed over. Yooyoung sighed inwardly.

 

“Oppa, I asked for garlic. These are onions.”

 

Jongin scratched the back of his head sheepishly as he took the blue bowl and gave it to her.

 

“I even colour coded them for you,” she muttered under her breath and dumped the entire contents into the large frying pan. “Oppa, why don’t you check whether the rice is cooked?”

 

She heard him fussing around in the background as he did as he was instructed. There was a loud clanking noise and some incoherent cussing, which wasn’t all that new to her. A second later, he meekly called out, “Uh, Yooyoung-ah, I think you should see this for yourself.”

 

She shut her eyes tightly and breathed out slowly.

 

“It’s porridge, isn’t it?”

 

“…yes.”

 

Silence.

 

“CHANSHIK OPPA!”

 

 

 

 

Since it was a Friday night, the four of them were sprawled in front of the television, arguing over which movie they should watch. Well, three of them were, while Chanshik sat in the corner quietly, flipping through the channels as he waited for the final verdict.

 

“Oppa!” Yooyoung was complaining. “You already picked that violent movie last week! It’s my turn tonight.”

 

Jongin stuck out his tongue at her. “You always choose those sappy, cheesy romantic movies. They are so boring,” he drawled on the last word.

 

“You kids seriously do not know how to choose a quality movie,” Taemin chided. “Let’s just watch that Japanese horror remake I picked up from the store after work just now.”

 

“NO!” both Yooyoung and Jongin yelled out in protest.

 

“Geez. What a bunch of scaredy cats.”

 

Just then, the television screen went blank, before a black-and-white image appeared before them. Three pairs of eyes immediately turn towards Chanshik, who was hugging a pillow against his chest and attention focused on the old period movie.

 

Within matter of seconds, the living room was cleared out and only Chanshik was left enjoying some peace and quiet by himself.