상용 자 sideshow

The 13th Time

"Ugh, was it always this bright?" Baekhyun grumbled, using his hand to shield himself from the sun. It was an odd action, especially since he already wore sunglasses. He was walking among the sidewalks of the city. With everyone else. He didn't know what he was expecting, honestly. That people will force him back down in the sewers as soon as he set foot on the asphalt? He sighed. Maybe not exactly, but he reckoned people would notice his basilisk nature. 

Surprisingly, no one did. 

D.O chuckled warmly and shook his head. "I thought reptiles were cold-blooded, don't you need sunlight?"

"Oh, so we're playing that game, huh?" he asked with an annoyed chuckle ringing in his voice. "Well, why do you feed only on dreams, huh, baku? Being an elephant, ox and tiger... you ought to be an omnivore. Feeding on plants and meats, right?"

He was met with defeated silence. Then, D.O began to laugh. "You're right. Sorry, Baekhyun." 

"I am?"

"Yeah. We're different than animals somehow. We got magic in us. It's why you can kill people with your stare. And why I can eat nightmares. It's not right for anyone to compare anyone else to other animals," he explained light-heartedly. The baku shrugged, looking down the sidewalk filled with pedestrians of all sorts. Baekhyun couldn't help but to smile crookedly. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't hide that he was amused by the creature. "So that's why you are right. I can't compare you to a snake. Just as you can't compare me to my inspired animal forms."

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, still smiling. "Okay, I see your point. Well, more, my point, I guess." The basilisk looked around, trying to determine whre they were. All the buildings looked the same, all the streets looked the same. Hell, even all the people looked the same. "What are we doing exactly?"

"Looking for someone. He's not hard to miss. He's a lively–"

"Step right up! C'mon, don't be shy! Oh, love the shirt, miss! Sharp haircut, mister! Alright, gather round! Gather round!" 

Baekhyun immediately turned his attention to the loud, deep but warm voice. A small crowd of people circled around a man standing on a box. A rather tall man, at that. He had on a bright smile as he ushered the crowd to come closer to him. He was dressed in a business suit, with a pink striped tie and grey jacket and pants. His hair was styled upwards so it was out of his face. The young basilisk didn't mean to stop in his tracks but he found himself being brought into the crowd of people. 

"What you're about to see here is magic!" the man called out and threw his hands in the air. Suddenly, red-orange butterflies fluttered from his hands, flying in all directions. Some circled around the people and they oohed and aahed in response. Baekhyun furrowed his brow; there was something off about these butterflies. 

Instantly, the small creatures all collapsed into smoke. The crowed gasped and the entertainer only chuckled in response. "Now, now, don't be alarmed." He held out his palm and with what appeared to be a spark, a single butterfly wisped into the air. Scattered applause came from the crowd. Baekhyun scoffed lightly.

This guy was a phoenix.

With an exaggerated snap of his fingers, the entertainer created a fiery flower. "Here. Don't be afraid, it won't burn you, dear. Girl like you needs a gift that is just as bright as you," he told the woman he handed the flower to. She let out a bubbly, flustered laugh. 

"Oh, hey, you found him!" D.O exclaimed as he approached Baekhyun. "Hey! Hey! Chanyeol!"

Baekhyun grunted distastefully as the phoenix looked towards them. His grin grew wider as he looked back at the group he had accumulated. "Sorry, folks, I'll have to catch you all some other time. I know we barely got started in the show but..." Chanyeol brushed the cheek of the woman he gave the flower to. "Urgent news calls. Thank you!" More scattered applause rang through the crowd.

"Chanyeol! Over here!" D.O called once more, waving his hand. Baekhyun let out a groan and pretended to hide hismelf from him. 

"Aw, Kyungsoo, it's been too long, old friend! Tell me, tell me, how have you been?" he said cheerfully. Baekhyun sneered, feeling the phoenix's scent on his tongue was not enjoyable. 

"Just fine, Chanyeol. Look, I need you to help round up some creatures for me."

"Oh, well, let's see here. Make people laugh and smile... or... risk my life gathering creatures who probably want nothing to do with me. Decisions, decisions."

Baekhyun snorted. 

"Please, Chanyeol, I need this from you. He spoke to me, told me I had to find 13 creatures before the solar eclipse and bring harmony to them all." 

"Wait, wait. 13 specific creatures? Oh, c'mon, sure, I know people but you can't garauntee I know every single creature."

D.O grinned and grabbed Baekhyun's shoulder, patting it lightly. "I found the hard one for you. The rest should be easy as pie." 

"Ha. Pie is actually really hard, Kyungsoo." Chanyeol was about to retort something else. However, D.O widened his eyes and pouted. "Aw, no. No! Don't do that! Kyungsoo, that's not fair! Ah... ah... fine! Fine, you know what? I'll help you. You are not fair, my friend."

The baku smiled widely. "Alright, I have a list of the creatures," he said as he fished a small yellow piece of paper out of his pocket. Chanyeol took it gingerly and read it over.

"Xiumin? Oh hey, that's Minseok! Last time I heard he was taking care of a human... her name was... Would you look at that? She's right here! Jinae! Luhan... the elf, huh? Alright, alright. Okay... I know most of these creatures. Some of them, I have no clue who they are. Chen? A thunderbird? I know no thunderbirds, old friend. Uh, unicorns I'm not all that fond of..." Chanyeol said as he read through the note. 

"That's all right... we can find them together, right?" D.O asked as he nudged Baekhyun then Chanyeol. The phoenix grinned and nodded happily. Baekhyun huffed and crossed his arms.

"Yeah, whatever," he mumbled as a response.

Spending time with this phoenix? Great. Just great. The taste of sarcasm was like delicious chocolate on Baekhyun's tongue and it certainly tasted a lot better than Chanyeol's scent.