상용 자 bottom of the city

The 13th Time

Splish. Sploosh. Splish. Sploosh. 

The water drops echoed across the dingy, moist walls. It was dark, the only source of light leaking from above from looming manholes. The air held a gross, decaying aroma to it, much like a mould. The distant hustle-bustle of the city rumbled against the ceiling. There was an imminent loneliness hanging over the area like a thick curtain, clinging onto every surface. 

Home sweet home.

A low, throaty growl ground against the cement walls, resonating throughout the maze of sewers. A long, serpentine creature loomed in the shallow, murky waters. Its intimidating eyes shifted back and forth to find the right path to take. It had rough scales with spikes running along its spine. It was a basilisk, looking for a place to call home.

If any of the creatures were unwilling to share... it was the basilisk. These creatures are extremely territorial. And incredibly violent. 

"Getting a little too close. Back off!" a voice yelled out. The basilisk hissed, ready to strike.

However, Baekhyun had already claimed this city as his own. "I said leave!"

A sharp glare. 

Then, suddenly, a huge body roughly twenty feet in length fell limp. A huge splash of slimy water bellowed throught out the sewer passages. Baekhyun huffed, clearly not impressed. Because basilisks were territorial, dominance was determined whose eyes were able to kill quicker. So far, no one was able to beat Baekhyun's murderous gaze. 

Baekhyun harrumphed and grabbed the gruff of the large creature's neck. Dragging the body throughout the maze, he had a rather bored expression on his handsome face. When he reached his resting place, he threw the dead serpent onto a pile of skeletons of all sorts. Some human, some werewolf, some stray dogs and cats, and some were griffons. All of which had stumbled obliviously into the basilisk's domain. He had never had another basilisk in a while; he'd be satisfed for weeks with this treasure. 

After a bite to eat, Baekhyun sat on a makeshift throne of old couch and chair parts. He had a whole entire living area he had created out of thrown away things that made their way to the underground throughout the years. He had picked up an old sharp bone and started to clean out any meat in his teeth. 

He was used to being alone. He liked being alone. There was no one he had to worry about. No one he had to look after. Being alone means being without judgement. No one to tell you what to do, how to live, what is right and what is wrong. No one to disappoint or no one to aspire to be. Alone meant happiness. 

At least, that's what he made himself believe. 

It took one soft, bored sigh before he threw away the bone. Slowly, different notes escaped his throats. There were simply adlibs, following no real tune. For a few bars, it'd seem like was singing a scale before he jumped to a different note unrelated to the others. They were round and clear. There was no waver or hesitation to his strong, powerful voice. There was a melancholy hue to his singing, his aimless singing. 

"I try to find you, who I can't see," an equally melancholy voice sang out, bouncing off the sewer walls. A splash was heard as Baekhyun suddenly stood up, his foot entering the murky water. "I try to hear you, who I can't hear." 

"Who's there?" the basilisk called out. 

A young man, his clothes soaked up to his chest, stepped out of the shadows of the room. He smiled humbly, never looking directly at the basilisk. Baekhyun was used to such an action. Another harrumph escaped his throat as he sat back down, clearly showing he couldn't be bothered with the stranger. "You should leave. I mean, I have food that'll last me for a long time. But killing is as easy as opening my eyes, y'know." 

"So I've heard," the young man replied. A grunt left Baekhyun, not finding it worth his time to properly respond. The stranger furrowed his brow. "Your name is Baekhyun, isn't it?" 

The basilisk's eyes squinted up at the ceiling, which was a dark gray with strange, green blotches spotting it. No one knew his name. He had made sure of it. His lips formed a tight line as he shifted his weight around so he was able to reach on the moist floor, where black sunglasses lay idle. Baekhyun has never had to use them in such a long time, he almost forgot they were there. But they were always there, in case he didn't want to kill anyone. 

Once he had them on, the basilisk looked towards the stranger. He had big, bright eyes and a small face. His hair was styled. Overall, he was rather handsome. Baekhyun tilted his head before clicking his tongue. "How do you know my name?"

The stranger had a small smile etched onto his lips. It was easy to tell that the man hardly had social contact. He just seemed so humble, wanting to play around with people but not knowing if he should. It was enjoyable to watch from afar. "The Creator told me."

Baekhyun tensed up just as much as his paralyzed victims did. "Creator? ... You're a baku?" Now, he was certainly grateful he put on the sunglasses. 

"Yeah... my name's D.O. You might want to listen to what I have to say." His shoes squeaked as he walked deeper into the room. "Do you really want to be alone? At the bottom of the city? Never meeting your full potential?"

"Ha! My full potential? Look, baku. I'm a basilisk. This is my full potential. I'm nothing but a measly, dangerous overgrown snake that is feared by everyone he meets."

"... I'm not afraid of you."

Baekhyun suddenly clenched his jaw. He didn't know why he had such a defense reaction. He was lying. Baekhyun was sure of it. Everyone's afraid of a baslisk. But, he couldn't find a single shred of dishonesty in D.O's face. A guttural noise emanated from him, almost like a deep hiss. It was aggravated, not wanting to get angry. A final grunt escaped from his as he slumped down into his throne. 

"So how do I get out of the bottom of the city, baku?"