욕심 what have you done?

The 13th Time

Xiumin's hands grew clammier the longer he waited at the door of a rather important man. But he was just that. A man. Filled with greed, money and power. Unable to see the true meaning of life. It is what all men do. However, the thought of tasting his flesh was so enticing he could practically taste it on his tongue. Slowly, the maid returned, opening the heavy wooden door. She smiled humbly as she let the wendigo in. He had no astonishing features about him; he managed to hide his differences quite well. He nodded and gave the woman a polite smile as he walked in, hands clasped behind his back. 

The home was extravagant and grand. Everything was polished and shining, with maids and butlers fluttering about the mansion. He silently followed the maid that had let him in as she glided across the floor. 

For a wendigo, smelling out greed was like following the smell of the most delicious food into the kitchen. It was a thick, flavourful aroma that couldn't be missed by a creature like him. More often than not, his looks were enough to charm unsuspecting assistants and CEOs alike. If he needed help though, he could always freeze the man or woman in place. Thankfully, for him, this was not one of those times. Frozen, eaten people leaves too big a footprint for Xiumin's taste. 

He was guided to a unnecessarily large dining room, with large chairs and a heavy table. He sat down with a posture of a gentleman. The maid's heart pitter-pattered. Xiumin often enjoyed listening to humans' heartbeats. They were terrible giveaways to their feelings. A human's heartbeat banged like a drum in his ears, loud and hard not to notice. He could tune them out most of the time, but today, he was hungry. 

The CEO strided in with a confidence like no other. He was neat, especially for simply resting at home. His hair was styled back, his moustache trimmed, and his clothes found with no wrinkles whatsoever. Xiumin's top lip curled in the slightest as the greed from this man radiated off of him in the most delicious way. But there was something else. Something... sweet. Almost like a blueberry. He never really smelled this scent with a greedy man such as this. 

No matter. Xiumin was hungry. 

***

The rattle of china followed by a sudden crash of fallen porcelian made Xiumin look up from his meal. The corner of his lips were smudged with red, his wendigo teeth sharp for all to see. His eyes cast a hollow, blank stare towards the young woman. She was frozen in shock, agape and her eyes wide. Her hands were still held out, as if they were still gripping the fallen tray of a china teaset. 

Her bottom lip trembled as her eyes became glossy. Suddenly, she broke into tears and ran out of the dining room. 

Xiumin snapped back into reality and realized he had just killed a young woman's father. That was most likely the strange blueberry smell he found earlier... love. 

"Wait! Come back! Wait!" he called out, his forearm rubbing against his mouth to wipe away the crimson stains on his lips. He followed after her. Trying to locate her in this huge mansion was a huge feat but he managed to catch up to her.

She was small and deliciate, like the china she had just dropped. With a firm grab of her wrist, Xiumin felt like she would break under his hold. She tried pulling away with all her might. She tugged and weeped. She shook her head violently, attempting to use her free hand to pry of his grip. Everything she tried didn't work. 

Finally, she sobbed, "What have you done? Why? Why did you do this?! Let me go!" 

Her tears made her voice crack and break. She sounded utterly helpless. Xiumin didn't have a hard time telling that she was completely human. "I do it to survive..." he muttered. "Your father was far worse than me. He killed for greed! Do you not realize that?"

"No! No, no, no! You're wrong! You're wrong... he gave people jobs! He made sure everyone had a chance for a good life! His business gives people a chance! You don't understand! What have you done?" 

However, her words almost sounded rehearsed and she was saying them to remind herself why she put up with her father. "Your father was a monster. I could taste the greed off of him by standing six feet away. It's the only way I would've been able to find him," he told her, his tone sounding stern. He wasn't angry or frustrated. But... he was tired. He needed at least one person to see. 

The young woman hiccuped and shook her head once more. However, she stopped trying to fight against him. "You wendigo... Sure, his greed is gone, but, but... but... I'm still here. I'm still here, hurting and torn. Do you not see that? When you go, when you go and eat someone else, you're ruining other people's lives!" she cried, finally looking towards him. 

Her eyes were red and her cheeks were wet. She had such a heartbreaking expression on her face that he was sure his heart would've snapped in two. That is, if he had a beating heart. Her bottom lip still trembled. She closed her eyes and looked down, sobbing some more. However, Xiumin couldn't think of that.


"What is your name?" he had asked, laughter in his voice.

"A name? What is a name?" she called out, her voice light and wispy. It swirled into the sky, being dragged along with the wind. 

"A name is what you call yourself. I am Wendigo. There are others out there. Unicorn, Griffon, Phoenix – all with names they call themselves." 

"Then I shall call myself... Human. Yes, that is what I am. I am Human."

"Well, it is very nice to meet you, Human," he chuckled, low and amused. This creature was peculiar, with no clear advantages like the others. 

"Wendigo, I must ask you a question..."

"Hm, what is it, Human?"

She took all her hair and moved it over one shoulder, wringing it as if it was wet. "The others don't like me. Why is that?"

He looked away as he told her, "Some questions are best unanswered."

Her silence was deafening. That was when his heart froze. 


He suddenly let go of her. The young woman stumbled back, her hiccups becoming more frequent as she stopped crying. She rubbed her eyes and sniffled. "You saw it, too. What was it?"

Xiumin looked towards the young woman. That blueberry smell wafted around her, wrapping her in a soft blanket of sweet incense. She had no greed, which was unusual for a human. Her eyes never looked up from the ground, her arms wrapped around her abdomen in a strange act of self-comfort. Instead of answering her question, he asked his own, "What have you done?"

The wendigo could feel her heartbeat a few moments ago. But now, it was gone.