First Impressions

Pride and Prejudice

exo_1.jpg

 

"Park Chanyeol, if you make me late on my first day of school, I'm going to absolutely kill you!" You yell at your tall, good looking older brother as he checks his reflection one more time. He turns to you and gives you a goofy grin.

 

"It's called being fashionably late, dear sister," he laughs at your freaked out face. "Oh come on, relax. You'll be fine. Besides, you know Hyojin!" He reminds you that you're not gonna be completely alone at the new school since you've known some of the people from elementary school. 

 

"Whatever," you scoff. Finally, your derp of a big brother gets his butt out the door. You both flop into your dad's Lexus. It's not a particularly nice Lexus, but it's not a piece of junk either. You and Chanyoel's family is in the upper middle class. You always have more than enough to live, but compared to a lot of the kids at the upscale private school you're going to be attending, you don't have very much.

 

Chanyeol is perfectly comfortable because since he's so easy to get along with, people actually like him and not just his money. You stare out the window, tapping along to some music nervously. You had decided, after a long time thinking hard about it, to switch schools and to attend school with your oppa. You don't really feel comfortable about it at all, but your interest in the art school just wasn't enough for you to finish your high school life with. So here you are, ready to start a new life at this new school full of very privelaged high school students. 

 

You've heard a lot about this school. There are some very unbelievably wealthy people as well as some middle class students. No poor people go to SM High School, but if you're even close to the middle class range, you're looked at as scholarship students in poverty. It seems kind of cruel to you. People are judged so quickly at this school concerning the amount of money they have.

 

It's not even just the amount of money they don't have, though. People get judged quickly due to the amount of money they do own. If you're rich, you must be smart, successful, trustworthy, handsome, and larger than life, right? 

 

Wrong.

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

The moment you step on campus, you know it's going to be an experience like you've never encountered before. Chanyeol glances over at you and gives you a reassuring pat on the leg. 

"Hey, you're going to do fine. You already know some people here anyway!"

"Yeah, I know," you murmur, staring out the window at the sports cars infesting the parking lot. Everything seems to loom over you and you gulp. Chanyeol scurries out of the car and you see him smile widely at a group of boys on the other side of the quad.

 

You recognize them immediately. They're the famed flower boys of SM High. Their parents are in the news enough that they've become somewhat of a style icon around town. They're uncommonly rich, uncommonly attractive, and uncommonly well dressed. SM High's uniforms aren't ratty plaid skirts like most schools in the area. You're given a uniform outline and are expected to buy your own (high quality and high class) clothing that fit the standard. Most of the boys wear expensive Italian suits or something if they want to fit in. 

 

Ridiculous.

 

You timidly step onto the campus and you see your friend Hyojin scurry over to you.

"Mina! I've missed you so much. I'm so excited you're coming to school with me now." Her eyes shine with genuine excitement. You've been friends for a long time, but lost touch a little bit the past year and a half or so. 

"Hyojin it's so good to see you," you give her a hug. You glance around the quad and can't help but notice everyone staring at you. You and Hyojin walk over to the other side of the quad to sit in the shade for a few minutes before the bell rings.

 

"What do you think of the new girl?" You hear very badly disgusied whispers behind you. You and Hyojin look behind you and see the 12 "gods" talking to each other. They don't see you, but you can defintely hear them. If you look through the bushes hard enough you can see who's talking too.

"Man, she's hot," you hear one of the boys say. You squint, looking through the leaves and see a very attractive boy with dark and intelligent eyes smirk. 

"Dude, shut up Jongin," the familiar voice of your brother groans. "That's my sister."

"Oh. Sorry Chanyeol-hyung," the boy named Jongin bursts out laughing along with another boy. 

"She's friends with Hyojin. I saw them talking." You can make out the face of a pretty boy with a sweet looking smile. 

"You're still thinking about Hyojin? Oh come on Luhan, get over it." You hear a kind of colder voice speak to this Luhan guy. You glance over at Hyojin who's blushing and looking down at her hands with a small smile on her lips.

"What do you think of the new girl, Sehun?" Luhan asks. "I think she's really pretty." 

"She's okay looking," the cold voiced boy shrugs. You can't see through the bush and catch a glimpse at him, but you're sure you'll know what his face looks at soon.

"Okay?" Jongin speaks up again. "I think she's hot--I mean... pretty." You notice Jongin casting a nervous glance over at Chanyeol. Chanyeol growls.

"She's tolerable, but not pretty enough to tempt me," Sehun scoffs.  

"No one's good enough for you, are they?" asks Luhan tiredly.

"You're all ridiculous. That's my sister," Chanyeol whines.

"Yeah, we heard," laughs another boy that Hyojin tells you is named Baekhyun. They're all kind of talking amongst themselves, but you try to focus on the conversation about you. You already feel a good level of resentment towards the boy whose face you don't know. 

 

The bell rings, and they all go their seperate ways. Hyojin offers to show you to your class. SM High is very unique. Other than the fact that everyone seems to be wealthy beyond belief, the education system itself is simple. 

You have the same people in all your classes depending on where you were placed in your enterance exam. You and Hyojin are thankfully in the same class. 

 

You walk into the room and everyone stares at you. You recognize the Luhan guy in the corner of your class and he flashes a small smile at Hyojin when she walks in. A few boys you're sure are part of the 12 are sitting around him.

Cute.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

"Hello, can I help you?" a teacher with her hair in a tight bun looks up at you while taking attendance. 

"Yes ma'am," you say. "I just transferred here." Suddenly, you become very shy. This isn't like you, because you're generally a more hyper person like your brother. 

"Park Mina?" she asks, reading her roll sheet.

"Yes ma'am," you answer with a respectful bow. She motions you to the front of the room and smiles at you. 

"Everyone, this is Park Mina and she just transferred here from Seoul School of Performing Arts. Please welcome her." You bow a greeting and the class claps respectfully.

"Mina you may take a seat next to Suho."  She motions towards a handsome boy with an angelic demeanor about him. You sit next to him and he gives you a charming smile. 

"Nice to meet you," he whispers kindly. 

"You too," you smile back. 

 

Class drags by, but you can't help but stare at the four handsome boys in the room. 

Luhan is a very attractive boy with a beautiful smile. He's very sweet and even though he is very rich, you can already tell he isn't arrogant.

A guy named Lay is also in your  class and he doesn't seem to talk very much. You've heard his dad is a very sucessful lawyer. You quickly find out that he's very smart.

Suho, your desk neighbor is quite helpful and easy to get along with. He was born into a rich family, and his father is the owner of an oil company.

The last boy from the flower group known as "Exo" in your class is named Kyungsoo. He has a nice smile too and seems pretty down to earth. His mom was the heiress of some huge company so they just have a lot of money by default.

 

They all look like poster children for some "perfect human" billboard or something and that kind of intimidates you. They're nice enough people, though. Your first period finally finishes and you get a ten minute break.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

Your class files out of the room and someone taps you on the shoulder. You turn around to come face to face with Luhan.

 

 

 

"Hello, I'm Luhan! Welcome to SM High." He smiles widely at you and glances at Hyojin who is standing next to you.

"Nice to meet you, Luhan." You're feeling a little star struck for some reason. Luhan nods and smiles at Hyojin.

"Hi Hyojin," he says with a crinkley eyed smile.

"Hey Luhan," she says shyly. Luhan looks at her and smiles for a few more moments and another boy strides up to you. The second you see this guy you notice how truly handsome he is. You've seen a lot of handsome guys today, but this boy's facial features are all absolutely perfect. His hair is flawlessly styled and his suit looks more expensive than your entire house or something.

 

"Luhan, why weren't you at our usual meeting place? It's been three minutes." When the devlishly handsome boy speaks up, you realize this guy is Sehun. You mentally slap yourself for not matching the name to the face you see in the local newspaper sometimes. 

 

Oh Sehun. The heir to the software empire that his father owns. The boy who lives an affluent life of great luxury. The young man that makes the ladies swoon. The guy who said that you're tolerable but not pretty enough to tempt him.

 

Your admiration for his godlike looks instantly melts away and is replaced by resentment and disike for him. 

 

"I was introducing myself to the new student," Luhan chirps happily. "Chanyeol's sister, remember?"

"Right," Sehun says coolly. "So, let's go. Everyone else is waiting." 

 

You can't help but feel filled with irritation regarding this guy. Who does he think he is?

 

Oh right...Rich. He's richer than you ever could dream to be. Great.

 

 

Luhan flashes an apoligetic smile in your direction, and walks away with his lil' shit of a best friend.

 

You grumble to yourself about that guy being a jerk and Hyojin stares at you. 

"Oh come on, Mina. Sehun's like that to everyone. He's just not very...good with people," she offers carefully.

"I can tell," you mumble.

 

The bell rings again, and you make your way back into the class unhappily. You don't really like this schedule of sameness. Looks like you'll have to live with it. 

You sigh take your seat. Suho walk in shortly after, and plops down beside you with a sigh.

 

"Kris and Sehun are at it again," he groans. 

"Huh?"

"Oh right, you're new," he says with a chuckle. "They don't like each other. They used to be best friends but now they hate each other. It's weird. No one really knows what's up with them. Luhan does, but he'd never say anything."

You find yourself happy that not everyone worships the very ground Sehun walks on. You want to meet this Kris guy. 

"What's up with Luhan and Hyojin?" you ask in a whisper , raising an eyebrow.

"Oh," Suho laughs. "Luhan's liked her for a long time now." 

"Really?" you clasp your hands together happily. Suho smile a little sadly.

"Yeah...but the fact that Luhan has so much money and Hyojin doesn't have as much makes it so his parents would never approve and people would just talk too much. It's very sad." Suho explains.

"Oh...why does an equal amount of money matter so much?" you inquire, a little nervously. 

 

Suho shrugs and speaks thoughtfully.

 

 

"I dunno, we live in a messed up world here at SM High. Welcome, by the way."