Impressions

Pride and Prejudice

original.png

 

You walk back to the theater in a daze. Your mind races and your heart pounds. What's even going on? You sigh and round the corner. Where are you even going?

 

~~~

 

You continue to walk around, trying to find the theater again. You're lost in someone's house. Great. Not just someone's house, but Sehun's house. You're just about to call Luhan or Hyojin when a gorgeous, mature woman appears seemingly out of nowhere. She is dressed in an elegant silver dress. Not a stand of her hair is out of place.

 

"May I help you?" she asks, looking at you. You feel like she's already judging you, but you've learned in the past that it's not a good idea to make these kind of assumptions.

"I was here with my friends...we're friends of Sehun's and I was looking for the restroom, but I can't seem to find my way back to the theater," you say shyly. 

"To the left. It's the fourth door." She starts to walk away, and then pauses. "What's your name?" she asks.

"Park Mina," you say with a bow. 

"Park Mina...Chanyeol's sister?" she asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes..." you say quietly. 

"I heard a rumor that my stepson has asked you to be his girlfriend," she says.

"W..what?"

"I didn't think this could be true, though," she scoffs. Sehun's stepmother instantly reminds you of Luhan's sister.

"Oh, well then I don't see what you have to fear," you say a little stiffly.

"Fear?" she laughs. "Don't worry, I do not fear you. I hope you know Sehun and Hana have been arranged to marry since before you were born."

"Okay," you say calmly and respectfully. "Then clearly you have nothing to worry about."

"No, I do not. Clearly the fact your mother is a drunk and you live on scraps from your rich friends' tables makes you less than a suitable match for my stepson," she scoffs. "But I want you to swear right now that you'll never try to pursue a relationship with my stepson." You're appalled...How stuck up and rude of her.

"I will not do that," you say, indignantly. "I don't understand why you come to insult me like this when you've already said there's nothing to fear. If you'll excuse me, I'll be going now." You walk past her, and she growls.

 

The nerve of that rich .

 

 

~~~

 

 

You finally reach the theater, and everyone stares at you instantly. They pause the movie. Fantastic.

 

"What happened?" asks Hyojin. 

Their eyes all bear through you like daggers. 

 

You explain exactly what happened with Sehun's stepmother and a little bit of what happened with Sora and Sehun, but not all of it.

Chanyeol looks angry.

"She said those things?" 

"Yes," you sigh. "But don't make a big deal about it," you plead.

"We won't," they all say at once. 

 

"Good."

 

You go back to watching the move, everyone in their own world. By midnight, it's time to go home. Everyone goes their seperate ways, and you and Chanyeol step out into the cool night air. You look down as you step outside and can't help but laugh a the fact the marble stair you're standing on is so well polished.

 

Oh to be so rich. You can't help but pity Sehun a little. Even though his house is so majestic and his living conditions are so upscale, it must be kind of unnerving to have people controlling his life so much like his stepmother and Hana try to.

 

~~~

 

You start to walk down the stairs when you hear someone calling your name.

 

"Mina!" you and Chanyeol turn around and see Sehun walking out to you. 

"Oh." Chanyeol backs away slowly, and you look at your brother pleadingly. He shrugs and goes to wait in the car with a smug smirk. You turn and face Sehun.

 

"Mina, please...I need to talk to you," he says, panting a little. You suppose he'd run down the stairs a few levels, which would definitely be a workout in his house.

"Uh, okay," you say, unable to look him in the eyes. 

"Luhan texted me," he says between breaths.

"Oh..." you decide you can kill Luhan later, so you push those thoughts out of your head. 

"He told me what my stepmother said to you..."

"Right," you say, nonchalantly.

"I'm so sorry about that," he says. He truly sounds sorry. You finally get yourself to look him in his eyes. 

"It's not your fault," you assure him.

 

He stands awkwardly in front of you for a few moments, and gestures towards the fountain the courtyard.

"Let's sit," he suggests. You nod in consent, and follow him. You both sit on the edge of the fountain, facing Sehun's castle. It is illuminated beautifully, lights twinkling and various sparkly things inside of the house reflecting more light.

"You have a beautiful house," you admire.

"Thank you..." he says, distractedly. "Listen...Mina. I know you know what the song Pride and Prejudice represented."

"Yeah," you nod slowly. "I do."

"I know you think I'm a self absorbed prick and I'm sure my stepmom didn't help in that opinion, but I...I guess I was hoping that...I just..." You try not to laugh at his stuttering. "Listen," he says, taking a deep breath. "A month ago you gave me a response when I told you my feelings. I realize that I expressed those feelings very badly, but even if I used horrible words and ended up insulting you, the feeling of love that I confessed to you was and remains to be real." 

 

You look at him, and you notice for the billionth time how handsome Oh Sehun is. He stays silent for a few moments.

You think of how tender and genuinely kind he is around his sister. You think of the letter he wrote about his insecurities with speaking.

You consider the fact he'd taken the responsibility of putting your mother back on track.

You think of how faithful and caring he is towards Luhan, and how much he misses his mom but says strong for his sister.

You think about how he makes you feel every time he looks in you in the eye and how much your heart rate spikes when he calls your name. 

 

You think about how dull everything was when he disappeared out of your life.

You think of all the insults you hurled at him, and all the unforgiveable things you'd said to him. You think of his pride and your prejudice. 

You think of how the Oh Sehun you'd hated was a mask of money and coldness that the boy you've grown to know recently applies each day.

 

"Mina," he says again. "The love I confessed was real and still is real. It doesn't go away. You've made me realize that I don't need to use my money as a shield anymore, and that wealth really isn't everything. My future's always been so set and so bleak. People dream of being rich and inheriting a fortune, but I've lacked something in my life that you've brought me...Hope. 

I've said some bad things to you that I know cannot be excused, but I was hoping we could put that aside.

 

I'm here in front of you right now, Mina, because I love you. With simply the word 'no', you can send me away and I will not come after you again. I'll leave you alone and I will not interfere in your life...I just wanted to ask you one last time if your feelings towards me since the last time I asked have changed. 

If your feelings have, in fact, changed since last month, my offer to be your boyfriend still stands, Mina. 

I still love you, and I can't forget you. You know I'm horrible with words. Today, you performed for me and my little sister on the piano despite being generally shy about performing. Tonight, I'm performing for you with my words despite being generally shy about it. I'm not good at talking, because I've never had to be.

I do not agree with Hana or my stepmother. You're not worthless because you don't have money, you're worth everything because you can see beyond materialism.

You've intrigued me from the beginning, and you continue to intrigue me every day.

 

Again, one word can send me away, Mina. I just want to ask you...one final time.

 

Will you be my girlfriend?"

 

Your head spins, and you look up at his house, looming over you. The fountain water laps calmly in the marble bowl that holds it. There's a light in the fountain that makes it so you can see every detail on all of Sehun's balanced features.

You look at Sehun. His earnest face is illuminated by the house's lights. His sparkly brown eyes look deeply into yours, and you hear his soft, deep breaths. 

 

"Sehun...I..." electricity jolts through you when you really stare into his eyes. They're so filled with honesty, trustworthiness, and there's no trace of the coldness you'd been so repulsed by in the beginning. How could this even happen? 

 

He looks at you, hopefully and awaiting your answer. 

"Yes," is all you can manage to utter.

 

He stands up.

"Yes?"

"Yes," you whisper. "I'd be honored to be your girlfriend." 

He grasps your hand and helps you up from sitting on the side of the fountain. His hand is warm and inviting, and you hold it. It's a weird feeling, holding Sehun's hand. It's something you never in a million years would have expected just a few months ago.

 

Here you are, the girlfriend of the heir of Korea's biggest software company. Here you are, holding hands with the boy whose house costs more than five of your own. 

 

No.

 

Here you are, the girlfriend of the shy boy who needs hope in his life. Here you are, holding hands with the brother of a girl who looks up to him as if he's superman.

 

He takes your other hand, and gently pulls you closer to him. He lets go of your hands, and wraps his arms around your middle, resting his chin on your head. You hug him back around his middle, and you stay like that, perfectly happy for a few moments.

 

You inhale, and take in his inviting smell that you remain enveloped in. After a few minutes, he pulls back and looks down into your eyes. You move your arms up around his neck. The hug is secure, and feels more comforting, meanigful, and real than any hug you've ever felt. 

 

"Mina..." he whispers your name, staring down at you. You look up at him.

"Sehun..." you murmur.

"I didn't think you'd say yes, to be honest. You're just full of surprises, huh?" he asks with a deep chuckle.

"Me?" you laugh. "You're the surprising one. Right about now, I don't think there there's anything you can say or do to surprise me." 

 

The words have barely left your lips when Sehun leans down and presses his lips against yours. His soft lips start to play with yours gently, and you kiss him back. Your heart flutters up to heaven or somewhere cheesy, and your body goes weak. It's okay though, because Sehun's strong arms hold you up. 

 

The fountain and the house light you both up, but none of the lights can even compare with the lightness you're feeling right now.

 

His lips are so soft, so warm, and so inviting. He gently brings his hand up to your hair while he continues to kiss you with a beautiful balance of passion and gentleness.

You lean into him a little bit, and his fingers run through your hair while his lips continue to get to know yours. 

 

It's a magical kiss...It's a perfect kiss. You feel like a princess getting her first kiss on the steps of a castle. When you think about it, it's not too far from the truth.

 

But no, you don't need to think.

 

When you eventually break apart, he gazes down at you with only love in his eyes. 

 

You're amazed by the transformation you've both gone through. From the ball where you spent your time dancing just bashing each other to the time he told you about his mother. Every word in Sehun's letter had softened your heart, but until this moment you never really realized the depth of your care for him.

 

You've learned a lot from him. It's always so easy to judge a person, but it's never easy to see past your original judgement of them to really find out who they are. First impressions are so important to many people, but to you, they don't matter as much anymore. You used to think that you could easily get an idea of what kind of person someone was through simply a first impression. Your relationship with Sehun disproves this entirely.

First impressions are only important because people begin to make themselves blind to another persons's shortcomings or positive qualitites. You had been so convinced to hate Sehun that you never took the time to see how much he cares about his friends, or how good of a brother he is.

You had judged without knowing. You know it's something you'll always struggle with, but Sehun taught you that you should fight the urge to judge so quickly.

 

 

"I don't think there there's anything you can say or do to surprise me," Sehun mimicks you teasingly, a sparkle in his beautiful, chocolate brown eyes. Chanyeol honks the car horn, and you look over at his horrified yet amused face. You ignore him and focus your attention back on your new boyfriend.

 

"Except that," you whisper, standing on your tip toes to give him another long, lingering kiss you wish would last a lifetime.

 

 

The End


Note: Thank you everyone for your support throughout this story. Let's all just take a moment and...

*PUUUUUUUUUUKE* such a cheesy ending kekeke.

 

But it's nice to have some cheesiness in this serious world sometimes.

Anyway, I know it's kind of a short FanFic, but I was always planning on making it kind of short. 

I was thinking about a sequel, but I'm not sure exactly what I would write. Anyway, thanks for the support~! I really do hope you liked this.

 

Love,

ExoticKaiLove