What do I feel?

Royal Ransom

Jinkyong shifted in her spot, the air being from her lungs. Seungho broke the kiss, keeping her chin in his hands. She lowered her eyes.

“Are you embarrassed to look at me now Jinkyong?”

“Please don’t call me that,” Jinkyong answered trembling something. She was afraid of what he was going to say. “It’s your Highness.”

Seungho studied her expression closely. Something was on her mind but he didn’t know what could be bothering her.
“I may not believe in the idea of true love and I’ve been with many women to know how each one is different from the previous.” He breathed out. “But with you… You’re the first woman I’ve met where I didn’t just say hello, make love to you and leave. I’ve talked with you, I see the way you always wipe your lips between mouthfuls. The way you turn your nose up if you are irritated and the way you look at someone you care about. I have saved your life, slept near you on the ground and insulted you many times.”

She nodded, starting to remember some of his harsh words. He continued, noticing her mood starting to sour. “What I feel for you… I cannot put into words at the moment. Do you understand what I am trying to say?”

Jinkyong had to think. She released her chin from his hands looking up at him. He met her eyes, they were lighter and warm. It was a tender gaze, one she hadn’t seen with his eyes before.

“You and I…” It was hard to even imagine it in her mind. “Do you realise the implications of your words?”

“I am a man who keeps to my word even if it means lying for that person or telling them the truth.” Seungho answered. “I have no reason to lie to you Jinkyong. But I won’t tell you anything if I don’t believe it is so.”

She lightly nodded, feeling light headed from the scene that had just occurred. She folded her arms in front of her. After the conversation had died down Seungho soon grew impatient and then exhaled, turning his head. He began to leave when her hands reached for his arm. Stopping he glanced at her, waiting.
“Please don’t leave Mr-- Seungho,” saying his name brought tingling to her heart and she felt rosy warmth in her cheeks.

He made a smirk, pleased with her using his name instead of a formality. They went back to the wall where they sat close to each other. Lifting an arm Seungho placed it around her shoulders pushing her towards his. She let her eyes slowly shut and her mind drift away to a place where she wasn’t waiting for the news about her friend who could be about to die.

 

 

Byunghee found them sometime later to tell the pair that the inn keepers’ wife had brought them some food. It was welcome news for Jinkyong who had become famished from the ventures of the day. They entered their room where Changsun and Sanghyun were already.

Jinkyong didn’t bother keeping to etiquette and ate as much rice as her bowl would hold. The others sitting nearby paused to watch the amusing spectacle of a princess fill her belly. Seungho lowered his bowl and smiled.

Byunghee caught sight of this. “Is this really worth a merry grin?” Alarmed at being noticed Seungho’s smile fell and he pretended to cough before continuing to eat.

The doctor placed his hands on both knees and stood. They waited as he rose and turned to them. “I’ve managed to drain most of the poison out of his system and he has stopped sweating.”

There were sighs of relief. “Thank you sir,” Byunghee said bowing to him.

“It’s still too early to say however whether he will be completely alright afterwards.” The doctor added with caution. “But he will survive.”

“Thank you sir,” Byunghee bowed again. Jinkyong did from the waist down and had to cover . She had over eaten more than she was used to.

As the doctor left they finished the rest of the food but left a bowl with a side dish for Cheolyong in case he woke hungry.

Changsun went outside, “I’m having a drink.” Sanghyun stood as well, eager to follow. Changsun glanced at the other three, the princess, the bandit and the bandit’s decent friend.
“You are welcome to join us.”

Seungho glanced at Jinkyong who shook her head. “I think… I’ll stay with Cheolyong, in case something happens.”

Byunghee became concerned. “Are you sure you are alright to do so?”

“I’d rather make sure he was alright.” Jinkyong answered quietly. Seungho caught something in her face but did not remark anything about it.

“Who’s buying?” Sanghyun asked.

Seungho raised his hand. “The first round only; after that you’re on your own.” There was mutual agreement as they all went to get their shoes.

“Keep the door firmly locked,” Byunghee stated. “We need you to stay safe. The fate of our nation rests in your survival.”

This seemed to bother Jinkyong who only feebly nodded in response. They closed the door and let the pair have some peace and quiet to themselves.




 

“Ah this feels nice,” Sanghyun commented, leaning back to look up at the stars which hung in the crisp, night sky. He looked at Changsun, “when did we drink like this last big brother?”

“We haven’t,” Changsun commented only having a swallow swig of his cup. Seungho poured himself another glass of the rice wine. It was his third one. Byunghee eyed him and mouthed at him to slow down.

Seungho spoke to the guard. “So you’re a guard sent to find the princess and all…” He then studied Sanghyun. “But he isn’t, so what is your relationship with him?”

“Ah that,” Sanghyun had colour in his cheeks. “The truth is I want to work in the palace.” Changsun lowered his cup, interested in what his friend was saying. “I have had this dream of working as a guard. Keeping those more important than me safe while I stand in the sun, rain and snow so they can protect the future of our nation.”  He smiled to himself. “Sounds silly, I’m surprised at my reasoning myself.”

Byunghee disagreed. “There’s nothing wrong with having a vision for the future. I don’t know where I am leading with my life; there is no clear direction at the moment.”

“Saving the princess could be the path you need to take.”

Byunghee politely smiled at Sanghyun’s suggestion. “Maybe, however money only lasts for a short time and so does the memory of the great deed.”  Seungho continued to drink while the others talked more.

“I would ensure that such a deed is remembered throughout the centuries.” Changsun said before burping. “You two are the reason why her royal highness princess Yi Jinkyong is still alive. Speaking of which, how did you happen to come upon her?”

Seungho breathed out slowly having drunken a lot. “She had been left to drown in the sea. So I did what any normal human being would do. I saved her.”

Changsun glanced at the bandit cynically. “The normal human being would have just sought out contact from the palace so she could return home quickly and safely. What you have done is take her on a wild ride, a ride which could very well end in disaster.”

Seungho placed his cup down with a gentle clink. “That’s funny, coming from a palace guard.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“You said that she could have returned quickly and safely. If that is the truth then how is it that I, a bandit, a criminal who usually waits on the sides of roads to pillage a wealthy cart was the one to come across her? Where was your contact from the palace then?”

Byunghee nudged Seungho hard, afraid he was going to cause tension. Changsun silently chewed the man’s words, Sanghyun looking on him in worry of a brawl. He let out a breath.

“You’re right; we failed in our duty to protect her there and then.” Seungho agreed without a smug smile or statement for once. He started to pour another drink when Byunghee grabbed the bottle and gave himself a refill. Sanghyun asked for one too, the conversation taking fierce turns which needed the strong relaxant to ensure a safe, bump free end.

Seungho lifted his cup to his mouth. “Since you seem to be an honest man maybe you can tell me then what you meant before about it not being about the reward. Why would you say that about the princess?”

The other two paused. Seungho released the cup, held it in mid-air. “You want to know what I meant by that?” Changsun confirmed it. Sanghyun silently prayed while Byunghee clutched his cup nervously.

“I need another drink,” Changsun held it away from Seungho. He was stuck. He couldn’t say it while he was intoxicated. The man struggled to find his words. He was opening up to men he didn’t know and one who could take his confession in the wrong light. Before Seungho spoke he let out a sigh of self-defeat.

“The reason I said that is because truthfully… I haven’t felt that way about someone before but… Regarding the princess… I think I love her.”


 

 

O_o well readers what are our thoughts?