Who's responsible?

Royal Ransom

Byunghee’s cup slipped out of his hand, the remainder of the drink spilling in a small pool. Sanghyun’s mouth fell open with his eyebrows rising. Changsun was taken back for a moment. Seungho sat there not affected by his own confession; at least he wasn’t showing it.

Finally Changsun spoke, his voice rather tight. “You realise what this implies doesn’t it?”

“No,” Byunghee interrupted hastily, looking at Seungho. “Tell him you don’t plan to. Tell him you don’t plan—“

Seungho answered them. “Does it matter if I do or do not?” His words startled them. “I said how I feel. It doesn’t make sense to me.” He made a laugh of disbelief. “How did such a low life, charming, sensual man such as me fall for a woman of high breeding? Tell me where such strange occurrences happen.”

Nobody could tell him. Sanghyun glanced at Changsun who hadn’t said much except for the first sentence after the confession. Byunghee was at a loss too, but maybe not so badly like the royal guard. Standing up he directed Seungho to follow him.

“We will be back soon.”  Changsun and Sanghyun exchanged glances but neither of them could tell what was going to be shared between the two.

When Byunghee and Seungho was alone Byunghee tried to speak however he found it hard. Seungho smirked, seeing his friend stuck for words was amusing.

Byunghee exhaled hard and gave his friend a wary expression. “I’m not asking you this because I have feelings for her. I’m asking you this because I’m confused… Seungho how is this happening? How is the man, my close friend? And a person who would happily sleep with a woman for every night of the week suddenly have feelings for the Princess?!”

Seungho leaned against the tree they were standing close to. Byunghee’s patience was decreasing. “Answer me Seungho!”

“I don’t know.”

Byunghee groaned and then pointed his finger into Seungho’s chest. “Is that what you’ll tell her?! You don’t know but you love her?! Does that even make sense?!”

Seungho realised that his friend had every right to be angry. He still didn’t know how to answer the question though. Byunghee walked away, frustration clear in his strides and his expression. Seungho didn’t chase after him. He just sighed and pressed a hand against his face.



 

Changsun entered the room sometime later where Byunghee was with Sanghyun, Jinkyong and a sleeping Cheolyoung. He looked at the princess whose eyes were close to shutting. “Your majesty, why don’t you go to sleep as well? You look exhausted.”

She shook her head. “I need to stay awake for Cheolyoung… In case something was to happen.”

He nodded and then said to Sanghyun, “it’s your turn to stand guard.” Sanghyun rose, yawned and then slowly left the room. As Changsun sat down Jinkyong faced him.

“Where is Seungho? He hasn’t come in yet.”

Byunghee looked at her confused. “You’re not calling him by his family name.”

Jinkyong stopped short. Changsun had a sip from a cup before leaning against the wall. He closed his eyes so they assumed he had fallen asleep.  Byunghee and Jinkyong continued the conversation.

“Sorry Byunghee, I realise I must have sounded so uptight by doing that. Even in the palace I cannot call the king father.”

Byunghee felt that answer resonate a deep longing within her. She had a longing to be close to others, without the procedures, without permission being needed or requested. He shifted so he was sitting up right.
“Seungho… Do you know how he feels about you?”

She stared at him. Byunghee saw that she didn’t. “Well… I was just wondering… What has he said to you?”

Thinking it over her mind flashed back to the moment where things had changed. The strong kiss and how he has pressed his mouth against hers. Her hand unconsciously lifted to her lips which had tingled moments after the encounter. Byunghee watched her, starting to read the cue without needing explanation. His mouth opened slightly.

“He said nothing,” she told him.

Byunghee nodded, starting to feel awkward. The conversation ended there and Jinkyong’s eyes were starting to droop more. Without realising she lied down next to Cheolyoung’s bed using her hands as a pillow. Byunghee watched her drift off, a slight pain in his heart.

“To have nothing to rest her head on… I wonder how many mornings’ she has woken with a sore neck.” He sighed as another thought came through his voice.

“Does he realise… His lifestyle and hers are not compatible?”

 


Sanghyun rubbed his hands together as he stood near the warm light of the lantern hanging outside their room. The dark skies concealed the shapes from farther distances and his feet were starting to ache from being in boots for a long time.

However his tedious guard duty was interrupted by the sound of feet stepping on the dirt with light crunches. Glancing around Sanghyun felt his palms sweat from the hidden perpetrator. The steps soon came closer and he pulled out his sword pointing it out at a man who stopped right in his tracks.

“You… You aren’t a palace guard.” Sanghyun removed his weapon and the man started to depart. Although it was just a small inkling, he felt there was a reason the man had come.

“Wait, who is it you are looking for?” The man paused in hesitation. Sanghyun swallowed and bravely asked, “It wouldn’t happen to be… Lee Changsun would it?”

The stranger turned around in surprise, “Yes, how do you know him?”

“H-he’s my friend,” Sanghyun admitted. The man seemed to believe him for the time being. Edging closer he opened the bag that was around his shoulder and handed a scroll to him.

“Nobody else can see this but him alright?”

Sanghyun understood, “safe journey,” he added as the man fled away into the dark. The scroll felt heavier, it had some strong importance to Changsun and his mission. His biggest regret was that he could not read it.

At that moment he was caught off guard by more footsteps. Turning around and jumping he saw it was Seungho. “Where have you been?” He asked a little jittery.

“Nowhere,” Seungho saw the scroll. “What is that?” Sanghyun hid it behind his back and this made Seungho laugh. “I see, I’ll know when we both come inside right?”

Sanghyun felt as though he’d said too much without having to even open his mouth.


(Separator)

 

By the time Sanghyun was able to enter in and swap shifts with Byunghee Changsun was asleep along with Jinkyong and Seungho. To keep the scroll safe he tucked it under a sleeve hoping it wouldn’t fall out. The next morning Seungho came in after taking the last shift and he fell asleep as Sanghyun woke up.

Wondering why his arm felt a little funny he lifted the sleeve and saw the scroll. It had been crinkled slightly from being bent. He remembered now that he had a message to pass to Changsun. Glancing at his friend he shook him by the shoulders, “Changsun, Changsun you need to wake. I have something important to tell you.”

Changsun opened his eyes, appearing irritated at Sanghyun for waking him. Sanghyun quickly presented the scroll to him. “This came for you,” Changsun had to lean back before he got poked in the nose.

The noise caused Seungho and Byunghee to stir and finally wake up as well. The three of them watched as Changsun accepted the scroll and removed the string that kept it rolled.

Changsun’s eyes read the writing before he lifted his head. Before they asked why there was a groan and the bedridden patient was awake.

“You’re awake,” Byunghee said to him with a smile, “how are you feeling?”

“S-stiff,” this made them laugh. Cheolyoung glanced at his side and saw Jinkyong sleeping there. “She wanted to make sure you would be alright.” Byunghee told him. This made Cheolyoung’s eyes glimmer with mischief.

“I should be sick again really soon.”

They were going to about this when the topic beforehand came up. “Big brother what is wrong?” Sanghyun questioned Changsun, “why does your expression not look good?”

Changsun’s hand was quivering and he slowly placed the scroll down which rolled out on the floor. The writing was in black, strong letters.

“I think… I think we know who is responsible for Jinkyong’s kidnapping?”

“Don’t say any more she’s waking.” Byunghee noticed Jinkyong shift and then slowly sit up, rubbing her eyes.

The royal guard disagreed. “No, she needs to hear this. Her life could be in danger if this turns out to be true.”

“W-what is he saying?” Jinkyong asked with her voice cracking. Seungho moved closer to her, only to appear as though he could protect her if the need came.

Changsun picked up the scroll. “Shortly after your disappearance I did a little bit of background research into some rumours I’d overheard from some of the palace maids. I checked with my superior the captain of the guards and he believed that I may have a link, a clue to who is behind it.”

He held the scroll. “What I received here is the confirmation that while the rumours aren’t completely accurate they do hold the person I believe is responsible for your kidnapping.”

Jinkyong shuddered and rubbed her arms, completely unaware that Seungho had started to extend a hand but pulled away when he remembered they weren’t alone. Changsun cleared his voice.

“Your majesty, what I’m about to tell you will be hard to hear. Please bear with me until the end.”

She agreed, closing in silent resolve to hear him out. “The rumour was that there is a nobleman who can speak not just Korean but also Japanese fluently. From there came a notion that perhaps this nobleman was involved with your disappearance. I got several men to scout the docks and find any possible traces of a Japanese ship anchoring nearby. There was one record from a harbour master saying that a man had borrowed a rowing boat with a large bag over his shoulder and paid ten nyang on condition he said nothing. This man also appeared to be a noble man due to his speech and the fact he had come with four other men who waited on shore.”

They all silently exchanged glances. Jinkyong squeezed her hands together. “It also explains one more important thing… Why Jung Jihoon was not seen at the palace the night of your abduction.”

The mention of his name made Jinkyong’s face heat up. Seungho watched her. Jinkyong moved her head to him and then back at Changsun. “W-why wasn’t he there? It couldn’t be because he wanted to spend his last night before marrying me with his father and little sister?”

Seungho put a hand on Jinkyong’s shoulder lightly. Changsun’s face hardened slightly. “Because he was there on the boat… Your majesty… Jung Jihoon is fluent in Japanese... Do you see the connection now?”


 



 

Ok so did anyone expect this? Do we know who this person is by their real name?