How can this be?

Royal Ransom

Jinkyong’s face fell and she had to stiffen her joints so she wouldn’t collapse from the shock. Seungho’s grip tightened on her shoulder. Byunghee, Changsun, Sanghyun and Cheolyong all watched her as the last of her pride was drained away by the blow.

She spoke with stammering and shaking. “So… You’re saying… H-he’s behind my abduction?”

Changsun’s expression wavered. “For now that is what we believe, until there’s further proof to confirm or prove we are wrong.”

Jinkyong swallowed and stared at the floor. She couldn’t believe it; she just couldn’t believe that the man she was meant to marry would want to be rid of her. A bitter taste from the potential betrayal made her want to be sick.

Seungho spoke up, “How about we consider moving on? In about two weeks we should arrive at the palace?”

“For two months I was kept on that stinking ship,” Jinkyong mused in anguish. Byunghee moved and everyone else started to pack up and get ready to leave.

On the horse Jinkyong was silent as she had been when Cheolyong was believed to be good as dead. Seungho noticed her quietness and mouthed something to Byunghee who rode beside them but the answer got back was something he wasn’t so sure of. ‘Talk to her.’

“So,” Seungho paused unsure of how to begin. “I guess maybe it’s alright for you to marry such a man, since you don’t love him or anything.”

Jinkyong turned around, her expression not good. “Mr Lee,” she called to Changsun who was riding up ahead. He slowed his horse so he was in ear range, “could I ride with you for a time?”

“Sure your highness,” he let the horse pull up beside theirs. Seungho said nothing as Changsun assisted her to his horse but he felt his chest tighten when he saw the guards’ hands on her waist as he hoisted her up.


Byunghee gave him a shake of the head. “You should have said something else, idiot.” Seungho knew he hadn’t been careful but was wondering why it was bothering him more than he wished.




 

For the next week and a bit as they travelled Jinkyong kept her distance away from the bandit who had once saved her life. She spent more time with Cheolyong and Sanghyun who had become closer with time passing. Changsun was left out of the picture in times as his duties as a guard meant he had to meet with other messengers to put together who was truly responsible for the princess’s kidnapping.

“We should stop here,” Changsun instructed as they came to the town, one stop away from the palace. Seungho swallowed, starting to turn his horse away if Sanghyun hadn’t grabbed the rein.

“What are you doing?” He asked. Seungho saw everyone’s eyes on him. He had to come up with a reason and fast.

“I, just have a bad feeling about this place that is all.”

Byunghee seemed more puzzled than the others about this while everyone else shrugged it off. They went to a nearby inn where Byunghee and Changsun teamed up to try and get reasonable prices for some rooms.

Jinkyong was left with Cheolyong and Sanghyun who noticed there was awkwardness between the two. “Big sister,” Cheolyong began. “Are you alright?”

“What do you mean?” She asked feeling a bit weary.


Sanghyun joined in. “Ever since, we heard that… Your husband to be could have plotted and carried out your kidnapping you have been rather quiet and reserved, more than ever.”

Seungho tied up their horses while keeping an eye on the three. Jinkyong blinked. She had made herself not think about it. But since it had been brought up, she began to feel the sense of dread that had come across her when she’d first heard.

Jinkyong clenched her hands together and exhaled strongly through . “Please… Let’s not bring this up in the eye of the people.”

“She’s right,” the three of them were surprised when Seungho was with them. He glanced at her and then at the other boys. “Why don’t you two go and find out what’s taking our hagglers so long? I’ll keep an eye on her.”

They both shifted gazes and then Sanghyun saw why Cheolyong was keen to agree. “Alright, j-just be careful your highness.”

Jinkyong couldn’t look at Seungho as he took her by the arm and pulled her gently away with him. Seungho knew she was holding some contempt against him but he was going to find the best method to get rid of such negative feelings.

She finally spoke to him, “where are you taking me?”

“The markets,” was all he said and she nodded, wondering what it was he needed to purchase and how he even knew which direction they were in.


 


Jinkyong didn’t expect Seungho to stop at a fabric stall where he looked at all the different colours and textures, most of them as bright as the garments she had worn in the palace.

He held up a deep red that would normally be used in the bottom of a hanbok and held it against her. “Hmm,” he shook his head and then returned it. “You’re too innocent to be seen in such a bold shade. How about something a little softer—“

“—what are you trying to do?!”

Her abrupt question startled him. He eyed the shop keeper who shifted his gaze elsewhere, not wanting to become involved. The man turned his back for a moment to let the two discuss. Seungho made a nervous laugh. “Jinkyong, what does it look like I’m trying to do? Look at your clothes; they’re dusty and worn at the edges.”

Jinkyong examined her outfit from head to toe. She didn’t see what he did. The shop keeper showed them some patterns in light purples. “Don’t you look familiar?” Seungho shifted in his spot. “Yes I think your face is familiar.”

“How about we look at some shoes?” Seungho quickly took Jinkyong in the opposite direction before the man could ask more.

Jinkyong raised her eyebrows at Seungho whose rushed nature was far from normal. “Hey aren’t you—?”  A man began to say as they went past him. A woman with her young child saw them and her face shifted but they didn’t hear what she had to say.

Jinkyong became more and more certain that something was amiss. They came to a bakery where the man took a liking to the princess. “Here young lady have some bread.” He tore one of his round loaves and handed it to her. Seungho stared at the bread in suspicion. Jinkyong accepted it politely and took a small bite.

“Is it delicious?” The man then smiled at Seungho. “It’s nice to see you again and with such a lovely wife.”

Jinkyong almost choked and Seungho panicked. His hand went to his sword at his side. “Don’t talk to me as if you know me!” He snapped, close to shedding blood. The man stepped back, arms raised in his defence

“But he does,” another voice cut in, a female one. Jinkyong and Seungho both noticed her, a woman dressed in black and red, a large hairpiece on her head like a bee hive. The makeup was heavily applied but gave rouge to her lips, cheek and more definition to her eyes. She came over to them, “it’s been a while Seungho. I’m surprised to see you here… After what happened with your father—“

Jinkyong had swallowed her mouthful. She looked at the woman, someone who surprisingly had similar facial features to her except for a rounder face. After this inspection she eyed Seungho who swallowed, his feet stuck in place, completely still.

“Seungho, tell me. Who is this person? Why does she know your name and about what happened to your past?”

The bandit sighed, his hand moving away from the hilt of his sword. He turned to the baker, “you must be her father.” He bowed his head, “forgive me for acting so rudely.” Focusing on the woman he managed a rather stiff smile.

“It’s been a while Minjoo, I didn’t expect you to recognise me.” He then looked to Jinkyong. “She… She is—“

The woman made a reassuring expression and then spoke. “I’m Minjoo, an old friend of Seungho and; his old lover.”

Everything in Jinkyong exploded. She felt her world shift as she realised what it implied. The bitter taste she’d once swallowed before threatened to come out in a sick, twisted truth. Staring at the ground the princess fought back the urge to yell out loud, to slap Seungho and run. She didn’t stop the burning in her eyes as she forced herself to lift her head to him and say with a tight voice. “So… You lied to me.”

“Jinkyong I—“

“NO DON’T TRY TO EXPLAIN!” She started to run, not caring who noticed her. Seungho took chase, leaving Minjoo and her father behind.


Seungho caught sight of her in the crowd. “Jinkyong don’t do this!” He called as he pushed past the hustle bustle of dusty cloaks to reach her. She ignored him, letting her anger brew. Annoyed at her behaviour he grabbed her by the shoulders. “For a princess you’re acting really immature right now!”

“What do you think I’m supposed to do?!” She cried as she burst into tears. “You said to me that you don’t believe in the idea of true love. But this—this—this comes out of the middle of nowhere introducing herself as your friend and previous love! Do you expect me to believe you anymore?!” She wasn’t finished, “now I can see why you kissed me,” this time voice was not as raised. “We both resemble each other somewhat.”

Seungho had to pause and think of what to say as she wiped her eyes. The dust from the roads had highlighted the stream lines on her cheeks. “I’ve really done wrong here,” he began. “Me and Minjoo, we ended what we had two years ago.”

Jinkyong sniffed and exhaled, “you used to live here. That’s why you were so apprehensive about staying a night in this town.”

To this he agreed unwillingly. Jinkyong held her hands together. “I see… So you left after your father’s reputation was tarnished. Do your mother and brother live here still?”

“They moved when I resorted to this lifestyle,” Seungho told her with some remorse from not being able to visit them. “I chose to act on my own accord; they had nothing to do with it… She had nothing to do with it.”

Now she had heard more Jinkyong didn’t feel as angry. However there was hurt from what he had done, what he did not say before. “I’m an honest person Mr Yang.” She said using a formality to emotionally distance herself from him for a moment. “I’ll tell you right now…” Her lips quivered and she pressed a finger against them. “… I thought you were an honest man. I guess I was wrong.”

Seungho stepped towards her but she moved away. Taking her in his arms he pushed her against his back, wrapping his arms around her waist. She exhaled suddenly, not expecting him to act so boldly. Lowering his head he let his chin rest lightly on her shoulder.

“I tried to stop myself from feeling more than just something on the basis of business partners or acquaintances.” He said softly. “… I know that people can’t trust criminals and I’ve stolen, killed and harmed more than I would ever wish to admit. I knew that when I met you, you would be reluctant to think much of me. In my head I had already decided where to draw the line. But; I couldn’t stop how I was beginning to feel, even if I wanted to.”

Jinkyong closed her eyes letting his words resonate like a warm breeze into her being. Seungho’s grasp tightened slightly, allowing his strong feelings to be passed through his body language. She opened her eyes, surprised at her rising body temperature and the fluttering in her heart.

“I… I” She stammered losing her sentence. “T-that was how I felt too; as the princess.”

Seungho felt as though a weight had been shifted from him. Looking at her closer he could spot a rather slow forming smile arise from her thin long lips. He started to return the same expression as her.

“Is that you, your majesty?” They both looked up. The man who had addressed Jinkyong was in a yellow coat with a tall black hat that fastened around his chin.

Jinkyong suddenly pulled away from Seungho leaving him confused. “A-aren’t you from the palace?” She asked him, “y-you’re the minister of the arts.”

He bowed, “I’m glad you recognised me your highness. Now may I ask why you are here, so close to the palace and with such a man as this?”

 


 

I was going to include more but this was already becoming longer than planned so I’m stopping now and getting you to wait and see what happens next week! Also I’m considering getting a graphic made for this story, not a poster as such but something with a sword and a hair pin with the title in some sort of font similar to calligraphy. Any subscribers interested in helping?