Will you show me your heart?

Royal Ransom

Jinkyong’s mind had become closed and withdrawn. She stood to the side, red eyed, her expression painted with grief as Seungho slowed their horse to a halt on the edge of town close to a building called Baekhyun inn.

Sanghyun and Changsun came trotting moments later with Byunghee holding onto Cheolyong who was still motionless. “That was close,” Sanghyun commented as Changsun dismounted to help Byunghee with Cheolyong.

“Let’s see if there are any rooms here to rent.”

“Let’s see?” Changsun sounded completely indignant. “You do not have the time to question that!”

Sanghyun went over to them. “What do you mean big brother?” For once Changsun didn’t correct him. He pointed to the dart in their unconscious friend.

“That is no other weapon. It’s probably a poison. If we do nothing about it then he will most likely die!”

Byunghee glanced at Seungho who in return looked at Jinkyong. She was numb. Her face had not changed and for once the dignity that had once caused her to stand poised like a statue was gone. The princess’s pride had withered within less than a day.

Seungho paused to deliberately think. “Let’s see if there is at least one room. Let the two of them share it,” by ‘two’ he meant Jinkyong and Cheolyong. The others agreed and they sought out the owner who assured them he could give them two rooms on the condition that if their companion died they wouldn’t expect him to take care of the burial. They had to ask him to lower his voice at that point for Jinkyong was close to breaking.

In the room Cheolyong was given a bed along with Jinkyong. She sat on the edge, watching him breathe slowly but faintly. Time was starting to run out.

“He needs a doctor,” Changsun said the moment he had closed the door. “This sort of poison goes beyond my experience.”

“Mine too,” Seungho admitted appearing to sound a little remorseful. Byunghee had to do a double take. His friend was not usually like that.

Byunghee nodded. “Someone should seek out the physician. Maybe the innkeeper knows where one is.”

“I’ll go,” Sanghyun volunteered. Changsun shook his head.


“You aren’t the fastest rider Sanghyun. We need someone who rides well.”

Seungho cleared his throat to gain attention. “I’m fast on a horse. I’ll search them out.”

“Very well, you’d better leave soon. It’s getting close to sunset.”



 



 

Byunghee left the four to join Jinkyong back in the room. Sanghyun stretched his arms. “I think I’ll see if I can have a drink.”

Changsun stared at him in disbelief but Seungho dismissed him. “You must be stressed. You can leave, we won’t tear each other to pieces; just yet.”

Happy at being dismissed Sanghyun walked off whistling a cheerful tone. Changsun and Seungho did not make eye contact, the atmosphere becoming tense with the two of them alone. Seungho looked up at a roof on a nearby building while Changsun stared at a stone on the ground.

Finally one of them spoke up. “You should leave soon, your friend won’t have much time otherwise.”

“He’s not my friend.”

“Then what is he?”

“… A random stranger we just met,” Seungho answered nonchalantly. “He’s more of her friend than mine.” Changsun nodded, understanding.

The topic he wanted to share came up with deliberate exposure by the palace guard. “So, you saw how dangerous it was back there with those Japanese men…  Will you let me bring more of my men to her royal highness back?”

Seungho felt the taste in his mouth turn bitter. The conversation before did not seem to matter. Changsun noticed his discomfort and added. “We will assure she returns safely and provide you with the reward you deserve—“

“—I said it’s not about the reward.” Changsun watched him, puzzled at Seungho who showed no hidden meanings with his face completely rigid like it was stone. He was going to ask Seungho what he meant by that but the other started to leave. “I need to leave, it’s almost dark.”

Changsun watched him go, still questioning what the bandit full of ambivalence was thinking of. He glanced at the sky, a fierce red orange like the shade of a pomegranate. “What is going on in your head, common criminal?”

Jinkyong flinched as Cheolyong murmured. He started to talk strangely, mumbling things about an older sister. Slowly and hesitatingly she reached to touch his face with the back of her hand. She pulled it back quickly.

“Something’s wrong,” she said to Byunghee. “He feels really hot.” Byunghee touched Cheolyong’s forehead and then felt his own.

“It’s a fever,” he answered in some concern. “We need to cool him down. Wait here,” standing he hurried out of the room. Jinkyong moved closer to Cheolyong, turning downwards in worry. Byunghee returned moments later with a bucket of water and a rag. He dunked it in the water and ringed it out hard, squeezing as much of the droplets out as possible.

“Place this on his head,” he handed it to her. She sat there not moving. “Your majesty,” she still gave no response, “Jinkyong!”

“Huh?”

He took her hand and pressed it against his forehead. Cheolyong’s muttering continued as he complained of feeling cold while his body’s temperature soared letting go of perspiration. Jinkyong’s hand trembled; she hadn’t experienced such an event before.

“Mr Jung what can we do he’s still burning up?”

Byunghee straightened up trying to think. Eventually he closed his eyes, opened his mouth and let a song flow.
“If like this, I turned my back on. I disappeared, I wouldn’t come into bloom.” For such a sad tune he sang it as though it was about him or someone close to him. “If like this, I gave a gasp while seeing you. It might be good to live while closing my eyes.”

Jinkyong’s heart was stirred by the words, the unease inside of her starting to shift. “Even if I don’t see you, I’m seen by you. Even if I don’t hear you, I’m heard by you. Like a wind flower which is revived by your breathing. I want to reach you but I can’t, I wish to hug you but I can’t. Your fingertips reach my heart.”

Cheolyong gave a groan and she soon felt her eyes brim again. “Will you know, after long long night? The love smiling in tears. I wish to catch you, but I can’t. I wish to reach you, but I can’t. Like a wind flower which revived in your heart. Even I don’t see you, I’m seen by you. Even I don’t hear you, I’m heard you. Getting scattered in the wind; getting scattered into your heart.”

The door was pushed open. A sweaty Seungho came into the room followed by a man middle aged with a bag in his hand.
“Found him,” Seungho said when he was able to breathe properly again. The physician knelt beside Cheolyong and checked his temperature. He held a hand near Cheolyong’s mouth to let air tickle it.

“You brought me just in time.” The man commented. Sanghyun and Changsun tried to enter but Byunghee stopped them by saying, “there is no room in here.”

Jinkyong slowly stood up. “Its fine, I was going to leave for a moment anyway. Excuse me,” she bowed to the physician, to Byunghee and then Seungho before lifting her skirt slightly and scuffling out. Without expressing any explanation or reason why Seungho moved from his crouch and departed from the room. Changsun and Sanghyun raised their eyebrows before looking at Byunghee who had no words.



 


Outside Seungho’s eyes shifted in a sweep of the area before he spotted her walking along a path. “Jinkyong,” he called out. She paused for a second. He thought she would turn to look at him but she kept on moving. Her foot took one step when she wobbled, her head spinning. Before she toppled to the ground he was there, arms out around her waist to catch her.

“You should rest,” he said as though it was a matter of fact. “You’re exhausted.” She didn’t seem to disagree with him as he walked her over to a stone wall in front of a bush. He made her sit first, removing one hand in case she could keep herself upright and leaving the other if she couldn’t.

She spoke with large pause in her voice. “I… I…It feels like it did back then.”

“Back when you were abducted?”

She made a short nod, staring into nothing. “My lady in waiting… She died without a scream… And now Cheolyong is fighting for his life… His suffering is prolonged.” Jinkyong wiped her face, breathing steadily to stay calm. “I’ve never seen such horrible scenes until recently.”

Seungho agreed. “I’ve had to break the neck of a man before… He was bleeding heavily so there was no other choice. I still remember the crack the bones made as it was snapped with my brute strength.” Jinkyong froze in horror. Seungho realised he had been careless.

“But most of the time I don’t see if they are still alive or not. I like to be fast, get the job done.” It did nothing to relieve her from the previous aftermath. Jinkyong shifted away from him, giving him back his arm.

He glanced at her, biting the edge of his lip, wondering how to fix the atmosphere. “What that guard said… It’s true that I’ve done more good deeds than you may expect. I wasn’t always a criminal. My father had a good job, the family was living well. But when he died we found out he had been involved in a plot of treason. He didn’t agree with something your father did. Anyway soon after the truth was exposed my mother went into hiding along with my younger brother. I took to a life of crime, using my occupation as a reason to steal from those trying to seek them out, killing them if they were dangerously close to them.”

Jinkyong swallowed. “I see,” she dusted her skirts off. “I should see how Cheolyong is.”

Something in him started to boil to the surface as she moved. “What about me Jinkyong?”
She turned to him, puzzled by his statement. “Aren’t you ever worried about me? I risked my life, twice to save you. Once to try and save your friend yet I have never been given a thank you or a ‘are you alright Seungho?’!”

Jinkyong wet her lips which had been dry from not drinking any water recently. She sensed something wasn’t right with his mood yet she didn’t know why or could put her finger on it yet. “Mr Yang, are you telling me that you desire my concern at such a time when my heart feels as though it’s about to tear in half?!”

“You don’t have to give me your heart,” he retorted. “I just want to see you being worried over me. I’m your protector and your !”

The princess was very confused and clasped her hands together in a way of coping with the mood. Seungho stood to his feet, impatience causing him to move. She examined him; his body language showed he was tense, uncomfortable and muddled. His emotions were like a muddy puddle, without any clarity.

For once she did not want to argue with him. The day’s events had caused her exhaustion both physically and emotionally. Strongly debating with Mr Yang could wait another time. Swallowing hard she tried to do what had once happened easily without struggle. Talk to him politely.

“So… Why are you feeling like this? Why is talking with you such a challenge? I wish that instead of telling me such grotesque or gruesome stories you would open up your heart and reveal something good or pleasant about your character. If not that at least express to me what is bothering you.”

Seungho had to think. She watched as he silently deliberated between some conflicting thoughts. Jinkyong began to believe he would do no such task. He may have had good intentions on being a criminal however that was at far as it would go.

However as Jinkyong began to believe he would say or do nothing Seungho took a step towards her, eyes burning as though he was on fire. Taking her face he cupped it in her hand, lowered his head to hers and closed his eyes as he pressed his mouth firmly against hers.

 




 

Comment away readers!  The song Byunghee sings is called 'Windflower' and is sung by IU and a guy called Yesong. I prefer the male version so go have a listen, it's one of my favourite songs.