Chapter II

Breaking Her Heart for Breaking Mine

"Thank you so much for helping me, dear. It means a lot." Eunhye's homeroom teacher said, patting her student's shoulder in appreciation after she helped her with checking their quiz earlier.

"You're always welcome, Mrs. Lee." Eunhye smiled and bowed. After her teacher dismissed her, she ran to her seat and grabbed her bag, throwing it over her shoulder and gripping on it tight before taking off in a hurry. She needs to catch up with her bus so she'll be home before her curfew.

She looked at her watch as she runs. 6:20 PM. Goodness! I only have 10 minutes left!

Eunhye gripped tighter on her bag and ran faster. When she came at the bus stop, the bus was about to go. She called and waved her hand and she was able to board. Sighing, she sat down on an empty seat near the window just behind the driver. She looked at her watch again. 6:32 PM.

Her phone vibrated. She pulled it out from her pocket and saw one unread message from him. He texted! She smiled as she opened it.

 

Oppa<3 [06:32PM]: Are you on your way home?

[06:33PM]: Yup. Lucky I'll be home before 7:00PM. Not busy, huh?

 

While waiting for his reply, she looked out the window with a smile, observing the city lights as they flicker in her eyes. Her cheeks blushed and her heart continued on jumping inside. He texted. It's been a while since the last time he did. He's too busy and she's aware of it more than anyone else. Sometimes, it irritates her and makes her sad that he has no time for her but a single hi or even a blank text from him takes it all away. For her, it's enough evidence that he still remembers despite how busy he is. But it's sad at the same time. That's the only mean of communication left for them.

After a few minutes, her phone vibrated again.

 

Oppa <3 [06:44PM]: I'm sorry. Gotta go. Practice time.

 

Eunhye frowned. All the cheesiness she felt inside melted away. Aish~ Spoiling my mood. But then she sighed. "I thought he'd call." She muttered. When was the last time she heard his voice on the phone? It seemed like forever. Feeling sad, she looked out the window again with her chin resting on her hand. Her eyes widened when she realized it was already her stop.

"Ahjusshi! Wait!" She called, apologizing after she went down the bus. Her watch read 6:45 PM. She ticked her tongue and ran. Her father's going to kill her if she's home even a second late. Strict folks. That's what they are. But she's used to it. She couldn't blame that her grandfather and father are part of the army. So, naturally, they're strict. Except for her mom though. She understands. She often covers up for her but not all the time.

While running, her eyes landed on the CD Shop. Today's Friday. Should she stop by for a while? After all, her father would be home by 8:00 PM tonight. But it's late. It'll be her curfew in 15 minutes. However, 10 minutes in the shop won't hurt. She can run home for 5 minutes even if it would be exhausting.

"No. You went home late last time. You should lie low." She convinced herself. Nodding, she prepared to run again when she saw the poster plastered at the shop. New album? She smiled. Without thinking twice, she went in the shop.

"Annyeonghaseyo! Welcome to Music Paradise." The tall but nerdy and skinny employee greeted her. She was surprised but she bowed back before she went to her usual spot at the third shelf in the last row. She put on the headphones and picked up a CD to live. She listened to that song again. That one song that made her heart race rapidly even if she listens to it all day long. That particular song she loves so much. The song that touched her heart because of that someone.

While listening, she looked down and saw the new album. "Teen Top No. 1." She read. Smiling, she picked it up and scanned the song list at the back. She smiled again. So that's why he's busy.

After scanning the list, the song stopped playing. She looked at her watch and her eyes rounded. It's 06:54 PM! She immediately stopped the CD from playing and put down the headphones. She grabbed hold of the album and turned around only to be surprised by the nerdy employee, making her gasp inwardly. He stood there like he was about to jump on her. But then, she shook the thought away when she saw that he was frozen. She smiled.

Eunhye had been noticing this employee ever since he started working at the CD Shop about a year ago. He looks nerdy with his big glasses on and his straight black hair was so shiny that it looks like the coconut shell used in other countries to shine the floor. He's taller than her. And he's much taller than him, she can tell. But he looks funny. His shirt is always tucked in and he keeps on pushing on his glasses. She didn't bother anyway.

Smiling, she handed him the album of Teen Top and said she'll buy it. But, the employee didn't move. He stood still and nodded with a smile but he didn't do anything other than that. He stood there frozen for a while. Time is ticking and she needs to hurry. Luckily, the other employee went to her and took the album in his place.

After paying, she glanced back to him. What's wrong with him? She was amused at how stiff he was but something's really odd with him. She glanced back again before going out. She pushed on the door and the bells chimed. He's weird. Then, she went out but with a smile on her face.

Her phone beeped, snapping her out of her thoughts.

 

Mom [06:58PM]: Eunhye! Come home before 07:30. Your dad called and said he'll be home by that time. He looked for you and I covered you up. Said you went home early and you were studying in your room.

 

Oh no! Eunhye didn't bother to reply and just started running again. But she didn't feel exhausted or tired. Instead, she felt happy and energized. After all, she bought a new album. And she knows, with that, she'll be able to hear his voice again which she never heard for a long time now.