The monster

The elements of your voice

Slowly it grows stronger and stronger. The victim needs help with its agony. Help.

 

Shaken from yesterday's incidents Amanda sat down by her bench. Jimin was sitting in the back of the classroom and he was staring. Staring at her. Even though she couldn't see him, she could feel his glances in her back. She collected some fortitude and looked back, met his eyes. They were still as blue as the sky. Then she noticed the guy sitting next to him. It was the guy with orange hair, he sat with his head down and eyes closed, was he sleeping?

 

Goodmorning Amanda!”, Hyerin released her books right in front of Amanda which made her really surprised. Amanda answered with a ”goodmorning”.

 

Amanda's mentor Jihyun greeted the class with a grin and sat down by her desk in the front of the classroom. She had an interesting thing to tell them she said.

 

The day after tomorrow it is time for a school trip. We are going to live in a house near the beach and have lots of activities going on. This is an oppurtunity for you to get new friends or get stronger bonds with your current friends. Also, the oldest students will be the leaders so make sure to listen to their orders.”, Jihyun told and gave them the thumbs up. Amanda wasn't sure if she wanted to go there, she loved the water but hated the sun, bad combination. That's why she always prefered swimming in pools indoors.

 

Is it optional?”, a girl with brown curls asked with her big round glasses.

 

No, everyone has to go since it's free. No one of the students need to pay anything at all.”, Jihyun answered. ”Any more questions?”

 

The class stayed silent. Basically you had no choice. If you wouldn't die of course.

 

 

Amanda picked up her bento box and the chopsticks, it was time for lunch. Her mom had prepared some kimbap and kimchi. That was all.


”Mom...I wanted meat too...”, Amanda mumbled for herself and pouted.

 

This time the class ate in the classroom instead and the students were pretty quiet, enjoying their food. Compared to America the students were more calm and careful in this school.

 

Then Jimin all of a sudden stood in front of her. He held a post it, gave it to her and walked back in the classroom to his seat again.

 

The post-it said: ”On this trip. Please be careful and stay away from Valentine.”

 

Amanda started to wonder, why did he care so much? He kept telling her to stay away from different dangerous things when Jimin himself seemed to be the person to stay away from.

 

 

 

The trip

 

The busride was filled with singing students, obviously this trip happened every year and they seemed really excited for it. Hyerin told Amanda that many couples were created during this trip, but many of them broke up several weeks after. Useless.

 

The older students were lined up, ready to welcome the youngsters. They showed them where they were going to sleep, where the food was going to be served and what the schedules where.

 

 

 

Schedule:

 

  1. 9.00 - Time to wake up

    9.15 – Breakfast

    10.00 – First activity

    11.00 – Free time

    12.00 – Lunch

    12.45 – Free time

    14.00 – Second acitivity

    15.00 – Simple meal

    15.25 – Free time

    18.15 – Dinner

    18.45 – Free time

    20.00 – Cosy activity

    22.00 – Time to sleep, lights shall be off by 22, leaders will check

 

One of the leaders caught Amanda's eyes. Hyerin told her his name was Jin. He was like a soldier with a shining armor, everyone looked up to him and his smile could kill anyone. But since Amanda had seen him before he was strange to her. Jin was one of them. With his glowing brown/yellow eyes he definietly caught her eye. Amanda didn't know if she was impressed or scared. She was almost starting to get used to some of the students strange looks and behaviors.

 

Jin who spotted the little spy Amanda immedietly walked over to her. His smile was honest and bright, just like the sun...His eyes reminded her of something...maybe he was fire? Amanda wanted to forget everything she learnt from the books, it seemed to haunt her minds and it annoyed her. Jin took her hand and shook it, a very formal greet.

 

Hello there Amanda, I'm glad you can take part of this wonderful moment. You will get friends and memories for life.”, he said and made lots of gestures with his hands.

 

How do you know my name?”, Amanda asked.

 

Why wouldn't I?”, Jin said with a grin before walking back to his post beside the other older students.

 

It almost seemed like everyone on this school knew her.

 

Then Amanda suddenly remembered, Valentine. Where was he? She turned around, and yes, there he was standing. But something was wrong. His hair was almost white and he dark rings under his almost closed eyes, he was even more pale then before and he looked sore. Was he okay? He almost seemed to be sick. This side of him scared her even more then his other creepy behavior. Amanda wanted to ask him what was wrong but remembered the post it, ”On this trip. Please be careful and stay away from Valentine.” The creepy Valentine...was he really like that? His sick baby face looked so innocent. She decided she wouldn't have to worry a lot about Valentine since he almost looked dead. Maybe she had to worry more about his health then if he would try to kiss her again. Valentine wasn't that scary anymore.

 

It was evening and Amanda decided to go to the sea that was located just 50 meters from the house. The sun was just about to go down and the sky was a mix of orange, purple, pink and a tiny bit of blue. The view was absolutely beautiful. The gentle wind breezes kissed her cheeks and as she was standing in the water, the waves caressed her feet. Amanda closed her eyes and relaxed.

 

It's beautiful isn't it?”, someone said.

 

Amanda quickly opened her eyes when she recognized the voice and immedietly backed off when she saw his face. Valentine.

 

I'm not afraid of you!! Don't touch me!”, Amanda's voice was shaky.

 

I don't want you to be afraid of me. And I'm not going to touch you...”, Valentine still looked like he was sick and tired but tried his best to stand up.

 

Amanda was a little bit suspicious but decided to stay, after all she was there first.


”I wanted to tell you...how...sorry I am...That day, I wasn't myself and I know that. I have regretted that incident every day that has passed...The thing is, I...”, Valentine started to sob.

 

Amanda didn't know how to act. Valentine was crying while Amanda was confused.

 

I shall tell you a short little story so you will understand why I did that...”, Valentine wiped off his tears with the arm of his sweater. Amanda took a deep breath and prepared to get a view into Valentine's life.

 

But first I want to ask you, do you believe in magic?”

 

Amanda was silent for a while, she didn't know what to answer. Did she believe in magic? Or had she just been dreaming? No it was not a dream for sure.

 

Yes...I guess so.”, she replied and hid her hands in the arms of her black hoodie.

 

Good.”, Valentine sighed. ”It all started five years ago when I was living with my mother. She was the most beautiful and lovely creature on this earth. Everyone loved her except one person, her older sister. Her sister even hates me. Why? I don't know actually, I think it was because of her jealousy, she wasn't as beautiful as my mother.”, Valentine's eyes became even more weat and Amanda could see a tear running down his cheek.

 

One day my mother's sister decided to do something. She called it devine vengeance. This is the worst...She killed my mother. By stabbing her in the heart, 4 times. And I watched mother being killed by her, they were just in front of my eyes. But I couldn't do anything. I was in chock and not quick enough.”, Valentine continued. ”My mother was a normal human but not her sister who was...who was...was a witch. A very strong one so when she finished killing my mom she decided to attack me. She threw a spell on me, more excactly, she threw a demon right into me. So now I'm possessed by a demon. The demon can control my mind but not all the time. Every time I do something stupid or evil I'm being controlled. The worst about the demon is that it grows stronger every day. The first two years the demon wasn't strong enought to take over my body but now it is.”

 

What happens when it has grown to its fullest?”, Amanda asked who was almost close to cry herself.

 

When it reaches my heart...I will die.”, Valentine faced the ground and hid his face under the white hair that was more pink now.

 

What?! No that can't be possible?! Can you get rid of it?”, Amanda gasped.

 

I don't know...I have heard the demon can disappear as soon as the elements joins in one force and fights it.”

 

Elements? Amanda thought for a while, could Jimin and his friends help?

 

Have you tried to talk to Jim..”, Amanda said but Valentine interrupted her: ”No I won't talk with them, they hate me so they will never help me.”

 

You can't say that unless you have tried...”

 

I'd rather die.”

 

His answer was short and determined. Valentine really had a lot to work with. He needed friends even though he was really popular. Amanda wanted to help him, period.

 

Do you mind if I ask about your sudden change of appearance?”, Amanda questioned. Valentine looked up and met her eyes.

 

Every time the demon goes to sleep it gives a horrible effect on me, I both feel and look sick but I'm trying to work with it. Having someone who controls you from the inside really pulls out all of the energy. That's why I loose all color everywhere.”, he replied and stood up. ”It's getting late. You should go to bed.”

 

Just when Amanda was to stand up she noticed Valentine's sudden frozen pose. His eyes were wide open. Amanda turned around so that she could see what Valentine saw. Just a few meters away from them an angry Jung Kook stood with clenched fists. He aimed for Valentine face and punched him right on his left eye. The punch was so hard that Valentine flew backwards and fell on the warm sand. Amanda ran over to Valentine and helped him up.

 

What was that good for?!”, Amanda screamed at Jung Kook who still looked really determined. Ready to punch one more time if needed.

 

Valentine, how many times have we told you to stay away from her?!”, Jung Kook screamed but this time directly to the shaken Valentine.

 

But...”, Valentine said, Jung Kook interrupted: ”But? You're just a joke to everyone, it would be so much better if you could just disappear or something!”.

 

Amanda who just had heard Valentine's heartbreaking story were gettting mad by just listening to Jung Kook's harsh words.

”How can you say that to him?! You don't know anything!”, Amanda exclaimed but Jung Kook grabbed her arm and pulled her away from the beach without listening. She turned around her head to see Valentine sitting on his knees, crying. He didn't deserve all the hate after everything he had gone thrue.

 

 

The next day rised and it was time for the first activity which was to compete, in the water, by swimming. Amanda sighed, she hated to compete. Everyone were divided into groups and basically they were going to swim the fastest they could. Kind of like a relay-race. Every team chose the fastest one to start swimming.

 

Only some of the classes were included in this race and the leaders hung up a paper on the noteboard where all the groups were written.

 

Team A:

- Kim Nam Joon

- Kim Myung Soo

- Kim Jung Ah

- Kim Sang Gyun

Team B:

- Park Chanyeol

- Lee Minhyuk

- Jung Yonghwa

- Kim Jaekyung

Team C:

- Park Jimin

- Choi Junhong

- Park Bom

- Lee Nicole

Team D:

- Jeon Jeongguk

- Amanda Wilders

- Im Jaebum

- Son Naeun

 

Amanda laughed when she read team A's members. The Kim team.

 

She wasn't sure about whether her team would be good or not, after yesterday's incident Amanda was still mad and Jung Kook felt her anger so he just stayed silent.

 

The teams gathered and prepared for the race. Everyone were transported out in the sea by a boat and all the students jumped off to a wide platform next to the boat.All had changed to their swimming outfits. They lined up in their teams and decided on who would start the race, someone who was a quick swimmer and strong enough to swim back and forth without stopping.

 

Watch out for Jimin. He is the best swimmer in the whole school. No one can beat him.”, Jung Kook lined up beside Amanda without looking at her.

 

Don't worry. I can take him. I used to be a very good swimmer back in America. I loved it.”, Amanda mumbled and looked down in the dark water in front of her bare feet. The weather was absolutely beautiful as the sun shone and the sky had no clouds at all. The breeze from the sea touched the students pale bodies. Amanda was surprised by the number of guys that had abs, she was almost embarrassed when she thought about it. Even the young boy Jung Kook had it but she tried not to look. Jimin came over to them and his well built body and y smirking both impressed and made Amanda blush.

 

Handsome guys with abs everywhere. It was okay for her to flip out. After all, she was a girl.

 

Jung Kook told Amanda to let him compete against Jimin which Amanda couldn't accept.

 

Why do you have to compete against him? What if I want to do that?”, Amanda crossed her arms. Jimin seemed content with the thought of Amanda considering competing against him.

 

Because we always compete, he won last time. But this time I will win for sure.”, Jung Kook answered with his serious face.

 

Come on, let the girl meet the beast!”, Jimin chuckled.

 

Jung Kook sighed and crossed his arms just like Amanda. ”Okay. Only for this time.”, he said and took place behind Amanda. ”You're starting as second.”

 

Come on Jimin! The contest is starting soon!”, a guy with white hair shouted, he was in Jimin's team. His eyes met Amanda's. His eyes were glowing. That different feeling appeared again.

 

He had ice cold eyes.

 

He had white eyes.

 

Amanda was almost starting to get used to some of the students' different appearences. ”Who is that guy with white hair in Jimin's team?”, Amanda questioned with a low voice.

 

That's Choi Junhong. Or Zelo as he prefers to be called. He is...pretty different.”, Jung Kook replied. Amanda almost laughed at his answer, he was not very normal either.

 

 

Finally the first competitors started their swimming. The handsome leader Jin held the speaker where he cheered for all the teams. Amanda was starting to ger nervous, she knew that Jimin was going to win, but she had to see what happened when he entered the water. She started to examine their secrets, she was going to find more proofs that they were the children of the elements. Valentine though, was still just an unwritten card that no one who he was. Amanda had decided to help Valentine out of his agony.

 

Im Jaebum who was the first to start in Amanda's team was really quick and soon it was her time to give all of her forces to work against the waves. The competition seemed to only be between team C and team D, one of them was going to win but no one knew for sure.

 

Directly when Jaebum touched the platform Amanda was aloud to start. She dived into the very beautiful paradise-like water. But Jimin was already a few meters before her, .

 

Quickly she swam with all of her might but he was too strong and fast. It was like if the water pushed him forwards instead of working against him like the water did with Amanda. She had never swum like this before and it almost teared her muscles apart.

 

Amanda was fast, but not fast enough.

 

Then something happened. Something that she never thought would ever happen. She felt something burning on her foot and suddenly someone pulled her down under the surface. A little sound creeped out of before her lips was under the water. She kept being pulled down under the water by her feet. Amanda tried anything she could come to think of to get rid of the thing holding her feet, that kept her away from breathing. When the oxygen in her lungs started to fade away she floundered with her whole body in panic. For a few seconds her mind faded away as it became deeper in the water and it almost felt like if her brain was going to explode because of the hard pressure.

 

To her rescue she felt someones' hands from above around her waist. With the tiny amount of power she had left Amanda opened her eyes. Even though it was blurry she could see it was a guy. He started pulling with a power she had never felt before. the both of them went towards the surface again with a speed only a sports car could compete with. It was if they were flying thrue the water, away from the monster pulling her away from her life.

 

It was the moment when they reached above the surface that was the most chocking. She thought he was going to stay by the surface, but no, he litterally flew up in the air with Amanda in his arms. As they were getting meters over the ground they were surrounded by waves. Amanda didn't care about her fear of heights, the only thing she saw was the shimmering waves around them and the guy that was holding her. She looked up at him. Jimin met her eyes.