#Case028

Going Crazy┊미친거니

#Case028 – Lies

 

A smile formed on his visage. And somehow the smile had made his face lit up – almost same as the fresh morning sun rays that gleamed off onto his figure.

 

His perfect complexion did become so perfect with the existence of his angelic smile.

 

And he swore that he’d never smiled broadly like this for a long time enough.

 

It’s all because of her.

 

“Jung Eunhwa.” He slowly said out the name – as if the name itself was a fragile thing that he had to take care with a lot of care. “What’ve you done to me?”

 

His silly grin soon spread across his face and became a choking laughter while his left hand ruffled his hair and his right hand was on the steering wheel; as he was driving towards his workplace.

 

Angel Air.

 

His mind then slowly bring back those moments that made him grinning all over; that he did claim was Eunhwa’s fault.

 

Himchan couldn’t stop himself from looking towards Eunhwa’s face – even after Jieun had called him and managed to put a bit of guilt feelings inside him.

 

But, that feelings soon suddenly vanished away as his eyes stopped towards Eunhwa.

 

That he – somehow – felt that everything was worth it.

 

“Umph...”

 

Himchan stunned. Eunhwa had already waked up from her deep sleep.

 

“H-Himchan?”  Eunhwa opened her eyes slowly before she finally realized her surroundings before quickly brushed her hair and wiped her sleepy face with her hand – which in Himchan’s eyes – everything that she did was cute.

 

“Yes?” Himchan gave her his best smile. Then, he held her hands after he discovered that Eunhwa had already grabbed his car’s door handle. “Not that hurry, Eunnie ahh.”

 

Eunhwa’s movement had successfully been halted and soon she turned to face Himchan. “I-I must go. Thank you for the lift and I’m sorry if I did took your time-“

 

Himchan put his index finger on Eunhwa’s lips to stop her from talking. “It’s okay, Eunhwa. You don’t have to feel guilty. Besides, I’m the one who offered to bring you home, right?”

 

Eunhwa nodded. Slowly, Himchan put his finger down. “You may go now Eunhwa. You look sleepy.”

 

“And so you too, Himchan ahh.” Eunhwa slowly replied as she’d discovered his weary looks. Then, she opened the door handle and hoped off from the car. She walked a few steps ahead towards her house before she turned around and bowed slightly to Himchan.

 

“Thank you for the lift-“

 

“President Kim?”

 

Himchan flabbergasted by the sudden call of his job title thus made he looked towards the voice source – which was coming from his secretary.

 

He then looked to himself and also the scenery in front of his eyes. He was quite astonished to realize that he was already inside Angel Air’s basement parking area. He let out a small sigh with a smile before he went out from his car.

 

It’s all because of you, Jung Eunhwa.

 

“Yes?” Himchan asked the man that waits for his reaction with a single question as he was actually slightly mad as the call had disturbed his little flashback moments with Eunhwa last night.

 

“Ah, it’s nothing actually.” The secretary then scratched his head. “I just wonder why President didn’t come out from car, that’s all.”

 

“Oh.” Himchan gave a weak smile and patted firmly his secretary’s shoulder. “Let’s go inside.”

 

The secretary then just followed and escorted Himchan all the way towards Angel Air’s entrance until his office. As Himchan felt super happy for that day, he unintentionally was humming to a cheerful song that suits his mood.

 

And everything seemed beautiful; and a good day to begin with.

 

Around 2 p.m. in the evening, Himchan had finally ended his meetings with the board of directors about the changes that he found essential to be implemented under his surveillance as the new and young President of Angel Air. He was working hard on his ideas and also in every planner of his presentations so that it will be presented in a good or could be said as almost-perfect in front of all the directors and also the Angel Air’s CEOs’.

 

He untied the knot of his necktie as soon after he had escorted the board of directors out from the building. He was tired indeed; but he felt satisfied as his idea had been accepted and he even got a lot of praise for his ideas that mostly fresh and genuine – which is a good attempt to put Angel Air back to its peak.

 

Himchan slowly walked towards his office when his steps suddenly stopped by someone that he never thought that he would meet today – in most of the times – in front of his office’s door.

 

“Himchan.”

 

“J-Jieun?” Himchan stunned. “What are you doing here?”

 

Jieun smiled sweetly. “I want to have lunch with you today.”

 

Himchan smiled. “Sure. But let me put this...” Himchan showed Jieun his paperwork in his grip. “...in my office first, okay?”

 

Jieun nodded. She then trailed Himchan from behind; entered his office and sat on one of the couch inside the room. Meanwhile, Himchan put his paperwork on his table and took a chance to untie his necktie as it’d suffocated him.

 

He felt something wrong.

 

Himchan quickly denied his hunch by shook his head. He was indeed sure everything would turn out fine until a knock could be heard.

 

“Enter!”

 

His secretary came in with several files in his hands. He went towards Himchan’s table and put everything on it.

 

“I’d settled all the important things yesterday and includes this-“ Himchan’s secretary once again pulled out a clear holder file and put it on top of the files. “- which was this early morning report during your absence, President Kim.”

 

“...early morning...”

 

“...during your absence...”

 

Jieun heard everything. The person that Himchan never wanted to know about his absence in today’s early morning had heard it.

 

Himchan gulped. “I-I get it.” And his eyes quickly turned to Jieun stature on the couch which was few meters from him. “You may go now.”

 

The secretary then bowed and went out from Himchan’s office without his realization that he had already made his President in fear.

 

In his own made red lies.

 

In a slow pace, Himchan went to Jieun and hugged her from behind. He breathed in her scent for a moment before called for her name with his deep voice. “Jieun ahh...”

 

Jieun closed both of her eyes. Deep inside her mind, Himchan’s sentences along with his secretary’s sentences been replayed over and over again.

 

“I’ve an important meeting tomorrow. Early in the morning.”

 

“...this early morning report during your absence, President Kim.”

 

She tried to put it together and she already realizes it.

 

“Himchan.” Jieun’s hands slowly formed a fist and crumpled a part of her clothes.

 

She tried to control her anger.

 

“Yes, Eunnie?” Himchan leaned his head on her shoulder while called her with her most favourite nickname.

 

Jieun gritted her teeth. Eunnie.

 

She did admit that she loved to hear Himchan called her by that nickname. But, not now.

 

As she couldn’t stand to hear her name been called by a liar.

 

She pushed Himchan’s arms weakly and abruptly stood up; which made Himchan surprised by her sudden action. Jieun then faced Himchan with her sparkling eyes – as she tried to hold her tears from falling down.

 

“I’d to go back home. Let’s have lunch together; in another day.”

 

 

Seoul District Police Headquarters signage was clearly could be seen at the top of the building with both of Eunhwa’s eyes before she let out a sigh.

 

Here we go again.

 

She entered the building and straightly went to a room called ‘Detectives’ Room’ and looked for Gunwoo. She scanned the entire area but to her disappointment, she didn’t found him anywhere.

 

“Miss Jung Eunhwa.”

 

Eunhwa quickly turned to see the caller of her name. “Detective Lee.”

 

“Follow me.” Gunwoo showed Eunhwa the way to his office; which was located quite afar from the other detective’s office. As soon as they reached Gunwoo’s office, Eunhwa’s eyes quickly read the small board near the door.

 

‘Head Detective’s Office’

 

Eunhwa softly gasped. No wonder she couldn’t found Gunwoo in the room that she entered before.

 

“Come in.” Gunwoo then comfortably sat on his chair while his eyes looked towards Eunhwa. “I’m sorry for disturbing you but I really need to ask you about something.” Gunwoo sternly tell his reasons that he called Eunhwa to come to his office. “But before we continue, would you like anything to drink, Miss Jung?”

 

Eunhwa shook her head. She already had her lunch before at her house and besides, she didn’t think that she will be able to digest anything – especially when she’d been called to help for something in Madman cases.

 

“I would like if we could just continue...about that something.”

 

Gunwoo nodded. Then, he opened up his drawers and took a transparent plastic out and put it on his table. “This is what actually I would like to ask you about.”

 

Eunhwa still remained expressionless; and Gunwoo did somehow wondered about how she managed to put that cold façade all around – as if nothing happened. Then, she cautiously took the transparent plastic near to her; until finally she could see a silvery locket with a heart shaped pendant in it.

 

An opened silvery locket with a heart shaped pendant.

 

She took a closer look and seconds later she slipped the plastic from her grip; made it fell weightlessly onto the table.

 

And Gunwoo still examined her, or her reaction to be exact.

 

“It’s you, right?” Gunwoo’s right hand took the plastic away from Eunhwa and his left forefinger showed a picture inside the pendant. “This girl.”

 

“It’s me.” Eunhwa weakly replied while cupped her face. “It’s me.”

 

Gunwoo nodded. “So, is this pendant yours?”

 

Eunhwa hurriedly shook her head. “No. I do admit I had a pendant like this but I’d already kept it with me all the time.”

 

“Where is your pendant then?”

 

Eunhwa lowered her gaze. She was indeed sure that she had kept it somewhere...but she didn’t seem to remember it.

 

“If I’m not mistaken...” Eunhwa hesitated for a second before continue her sentences. “I kept it inside a-“

 

“Inside a...?” Gunwoo asked Eunhwa once again after she took a minute of silence.

 

Eunhwa let out a sigh. “I don’t remember. But this pendant is obviously not mine.”

 

Gunwoo massaged his temples. “How can you prove this is not yours?”

 

Eunhwa tapped her forehead. “My pendant had its own initial.  As it is a friendship locket – ‘Forever Friends’ was written on the pendant itself.”

 

Gunwoo’s gaze fell once again on the pendant. “And this doesn’t...”

 

Eunhwa fervently nodded. But she once again did look towards the pendant.

 

How can there were two almost-identical pendant?

 

“Do you...” Gunwoo suddenly got an idea inside his head that could clear all these messy puzzles. “...possibly has a secret admirer?”

 

Eunhwa shook her head. She admitted that Himchan did like her before but everything was already in the past – and she did believe that this pendant wasn’t his either.

 

As this only pendant was his present for her.

 

 

Soojung held a white envelope firmly in her grip. Then, she looks directly towards her boss’s face.

 

“Miss Jung?”

 

“I’m sorry, Sir.” Soojung bowed in front of the man and then she put the envelope on his table.

 

He was flinched a bit before he took the envelope and look carefully towards the two words on top of the envelope that he could clearly read; but he never assumed that it would came from a strong girl like Soojung itself.

 

‘Resignation Letter’

 

“May I know why, no – what makes you take this sudden decision, Miss Jung Soojung?” He furrowed his eyebrows; somewhat surprised by Soojung’s blunt decision.

 

“It’s not a sudden decision.” Soojung tried to swallow the lump in that was exist for a sudden. “I’d already made up my mind since my sister’s death. But, I didn’t dare to do it yet.”

 

Soojung’s boss nodded in anticipation to her reason. “Then, why now? After you had already put your very best effort in this Madman cases and even made an almost complete compilation of Madman Puzzle – which was the prime slot ever in SBC Crime News Section Project!”

 

Soojung muted herself for a second. It’s true she loves her job; more than anything that she had after her sister.

 

Madman.

 

That’s what killed her sister. And that’s the reason why she chose to leave her dream career.

 

She couldn’t stand it. No more.

 

“I’m sorry. I’ll give all the compilation to SBC; and walked out from this company without even ask for any credit for it at all.”

 

Soojung bowed once again. This was her final decision – and nothing could stop her.

 

“My only hope is that you’ll approve it Sir.”

 

The rain was lashing on Soojung’s face as soon as she stepped out from the cab. She’d already paid the fare and now, she walked slowly towards the house gate.

 

Eventhough it’d happen minutes ago, she could still vividly hear the last word that her boss spoke to her; ringing in her mind as if he spoke to her now.

 

“If that’s what you want Miss Jung – I approve your resignation letter.”

 

She looked towards her house with a despair face as soon as the gate opened after she flashed her smartphone onto the black screen near the gate. She was indeed wet results from the rain that was suddenly poured without any sign at all.

 

But she didn’t care. As she didn’t have anything to lose.

 

She had already lost her sister, her almost-be-brother-in-law, her career and even her own life after this – who knows?

 

She’d already lose interest to keep continue on her life.

 

CLICK

 

The front door opened and she scanned everything inside the house. As usual, the emptiness would always greet her in most of the time.

 

How she wished that her sister was still alive.

 

CLICK

 

Soojung took steps ahead the corridor when suddenly she heard a sob from somewhere inside the house.

 

A lonely sob.

 

Soojung carefully went to search for the cry source. She wasn’t a brave person but somehow the curiosity inside her head did made her went to find it.

 

The faint cry just now then turned into a loud one as soon as she approached the small pub which was located at the isolated side of the house’s living room.

 

And she found a person.

 

A girl.

 

A different side of a girl that she couldn’t believe in her eyes.

 

“Song Jieun.” Soojung’s slowly spoke out the girl’s name. “What are you doing here?”

 

Jieun turned around, just to meet Soojung’s surprised visage. “You. What are you doing here?”

 

Soojung scoffed. “It’s me who ask that question first.”

 

“Who cares?”

 

“You!” Soojung just wanted to pull Jieun’s hair when she suddenly saw Jieun took a big gulp of wine straightly from the bottle – without even bother to put it first into a glass.

 

And she even saw tears did escape Jieun’s eyes.

 

It looks hurtful.

 

Soojung smirked. It did seems not only her who have a bad day, wasn’t it?

 

She then sat beside Jieun while took another beverage for herself. Jieun who was wiping , couldn’t help herself but to look towards Soojung in awe.

 

“Go away. Who told you that you can sit beside me, huh?”

 

“I don’t even need your permission for that, Jieun sshi.” Soojung bluntly replied while her hands already opened a can of beer and took a gulp of it.

 

“You.” Jieun then tried to strangle Soojung but then ended in held Soojung’s jacket with her both hands. “Why you did this to me?! Am I looked like an unimportant person? Am I looked that pathetic? I’m a human being – I do have my own feelings!!!”

 

Soojung was shocked. Truthfully, she hadn’t met this side of Jieun before.

 

“I just need a love.” Jieun held her breath and exhaled it. “I just need someone to love me. Is that hard to even become real?”

 

Soojung gulped. The person in front of her wasn’t Jieun that she knew.

 

It’s the real side of Song Jieun.

 

“N-no. It’s not that hard, actually.” Soojung finally spoke out her own opinion after Jieun was into her cries. “But it seems that you fall in love with the wrong person.”

 

“I’d fall in love with him so far long ago.” Jieun’s voice shook as she spoke. “Earlier than you can ever imagine, Jung Soojung. Because I’d know him before he’d even met your sister...and also his first love.”

 

Soojung stunned. She eyed Jieun closely; just to ensure that she heard her right.

 

“I should be his first love. Not her.”

 

Once again Soojung was flabbergasted. Himchan oppa’s first love? This was completely out from her range of knowledge.

 

“I want his love – so, I changed. I’d even do everything for him to see me; but he didn’t!” Jieun had a slight croak in her voice as soon as she let out her sentences. “Tell me, Soojung sshi tell me. What should I do to get him?”

 

Soojung muted herself. She was obviously not the right person for this issue as she didn’t have any personal issues with love like Jieun did. All she could do is just to look into Jieun’s once ice stare – but now was an empty void of her longing eyes – and that did made her heart softened towards Jieun.

 

Maybe yes, she did take Jieun as her sister’s replacement for Himchan; but now, even she wasn’t sure of herself.

 

As she slowly felt sorry for Jieun as Jieun wasn’t deserved all this.

 

Awkwardly she moved closer towards Jieun and held out her arms – then without her knowledge, she already hugged Jieun.

 

Soojung flashed a weak smile. An unexpected person in a totally unexpected moment – and she did learn that despite her own terrible problems, there were a lot and more terrible problems that could happen in other person.

 

Like Jieun.

 

“I’m sorry as my clothes still wet from rain. Hope you don’t mind.” Soojung laughed a bit just to see her wet attire and on top of it, she hugged her rival.

 

“Everything will be okay from now on. Cry – and let out everything that you kept inside your heart, Song Jieun.”


Petite_Star Corner : Feel free to give comments for this chapter. Thank you~ :)

Jieun ahh...she'd suffered a lot in this chapter though, I guess :(

And for those who still remember the locket and heart shaped pendant that Jongup did found in his pocket; here it is~ But still, the owner was still remained as a mystery...

Bear with me, lovely readers - as it's all the clues that will eventually revealed who the real Madman is! xD

P/s : Madman's real identity is getting closer....