Chapter 4

Almost Heaven

Baekhyun was worried about his wife, and decided to get inside the toilet quickly to check on his wife. But when he saw his wife was already collapsed on the ground, he rushed toward her and placed her head on his lap.

“Sunhee?” He called while shaking her shoulder. He looked up at the counter near the sink before looking back down to his wife who hasn’t been opening her eyes. Please, God, make sure she is doing fine. He grabbed her bag with his left hand and then carried her bridal style leaving the toilet.

A few people saw him and asked if everything was alright, but he hadn’t been able to answer. All he heard was his own heartbeat, it was beating fast. He was scared if this time his wife’s disorder got worse than it used to be.

Sehun, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo suddenly came with Baekho after they heard people talking about a man carrying an unconscious woman. They thought it was Sunhee, and they were true. “Hey, what happened? She fell again?” Chanyeol asked, worried, while frowning.

Baekhyun didn’t say a word.

“Come one let’s take her to the hospital.” Sehun said, leading them to the parking lot. If he had to be honest, he was worried too. Everybody were worried about her. “Will you be able to carry her until we reach our car, hyung? I’d be happy to take over.”

Baekhyun toughly said. “I... I can.”

They nodded and went to their cars. Chanyeol helped his buddy to lie her down on the back seat of his car while Sehun was with Kyungsoo and Baekho in a different car behind them. After preparing well enough, they started to leave the area without thinking of the rest of their friends who were still in the amusement place. Baekhyun felt really, really weak. His legs felt like it wouldn’t be able to carry himself any longer. How many times should he visit hospital again to bring his wife for check up? He didn’t know why but now he was a little bit scared when the word hospital haunted his head.

“Hey, mate, it’s gonna be okay.” Chanyeol patted his shoulder while driving to the nearest hospital.

“No, it’s not. Stop telling me it’ll be okay!” He raised his voice a little, his eyes widened, surprising his friend who was driving. Chanyeol was surprised at how actually stressed Baekhyun was behind the strong, tough image he has a while before. “Just… stop!” Baekhyun started to sob a little.

Chanyeol was quiet, not wanting to say a word. He was afraid if his word would offend him again, since he was currently in a rough shape. He didn’t know what to reply, anyway. He only continued driving to the hospital without saying anything, his eyes focused on the road.

Arriving to the nearest hospital, Baekhyun was almost breathless. He hated the fact that he was weak to hospitals right now. Possibly because he kept coming back again and over again to check his wife’s latest condition. When the car stopped, he slowly got out of the car with empty eyes, walking over to the back seat where his wife was lying down, he opened the door and carried her out slowly and carefully with the help of Chanyeol beside him. Sehun and Kyungsoo still following behind them.

They soon entered the lobby, where there was a nurse came asking what was happening. Baekhyun kept hearing this a lot whenever he brought his wife to the hospital, can’t they see?! He said in his head frustratedly.

“She is an ataxia patient. She just fell down. Please help,” Chanyeol said to the nurse, pressing his upper lips to the lower lips after that, while rubbing his pants pocket. Nurse nodded and grabbed a bed for Baekhyun to lie her down on the bed before the nurse took her to the ICU room. Baekhyun slid down against the wall to the ground, his hand grabbed a fist of his hair. He couldn’t take this anymore, he wanted to see her back healthy again. Will that be possible? Another tears rolled down his cheeks.

Meanwhile, Sehun grabbed his phone from his pocket and called someone. Beside him, Kyungsoo was trying to cheer the little Byun boy up to prevent him from crying since he saw his father crying on the ground right now. Chanyeol knelt down while rubbing his shoulder, giving comfort while waiting for news from the doctor. “Why it has to be my wife?” Baekhyun asked, his voice was feeble and raspy.

Again, Chanyeol has no proper answer to the question in his mind. In this kind of situation, Chanyeol was supposed to support him and encourage him, but not for today. He thought the best mood maker for Baekhyun now was only his wife. “I’m tired, Chanyeol.” He confessed, covering his face with his palms.

“I know.” Chanyeol answered with a friendly supportive smile. “I don’t care how many times I’ve said this, but everything is going to be just fine. Breathe.”

Baekhyun lifted up his face, giving him a little yet the best smile he could give. Everyone else also smiled, while Baekho was tapping the walls behind him, not listening to anything they were talking about. A few while later, they saw the same doctor who took care of her before, came from the ICU room with his head turning down to the ground as he walked to them.

“How is she?” Baekhyun asked, despite his voice was trembling. His eyes showed so much fear, sadness and hope. Tell me it’s a good news.

Doctor sighed, his eyes kept looking down to the ground for a few seconds before it lifted to see the four men to give confirmation. “Mrs. Sunhee has to be hospitalized. I’m very sorry, her ataxia is getting worse and the best solution is to keep her here for full care and teraphy.”

And that? That just hit Baekhyun in the heart so bad, breaking it into two parts, maybe into shattered pieces. “How?” He asked, trying to deny the fact of reality.

“We’re checking why is she having this disorder. Until then, this is all we can say. She has to be hospitalized." Doctor replied kindly with a low volume of voice and small smile to the four men, only three replied the smile. Baekhyun was the exception, he quickly ran to the main entrance door but suddenly stopped when he saw his brother in law standing in front of him.

“Sehun called.” Seunghyun said with his deep, bass voice. It sounded scarier when he was upset like this, it sounded like he was going to kill you. “Is she okay? What is it now?”

Baekhyun looked down to his feet, this time his tears fell down to his toes. After holding his tears for so long, he let it fall while standing in front of his brother in law, Seunghyun, who suddenly pulled him into a brotherly hug. It made him sob onto Seunghyun’s shoulder more. “Her disorder got worse, hyung. It got worse.” He mumbled between sobs.

Seunghyun sighed loudly and closed his eyes, still rubbing Baekhyun’s back. “We’ll get through this together, okay? Don’t panic, we’re in this together. I called my mom and dad, they will be here later tonight or tomorrow.”

Baekhyun nodded and mumbled an “mhm”, and walked back to his friends together with the tall man beside him.

“Baekho, hey there,” Seunghyun greeted Baekho who was sitting on Kyungsoo’s lap. “Do you miss your uncle?”

Baekho grinned widely and shook his arms in joy. How easy it was to be a baby, didn’t need to know anything and always be happy once they saw someone they like. Baekhyun smiled bitterly watching his son and thinking of how easy it was to be a baby like his son. “’Cusi!” Baekho said something unclearly which sounded like ‘ahjussi’, calling Seunghyun happily and lifted his arms toward him.

Seunghyun smiled and carried him into his arms. “Aigo aigoo.” He said after carrying the kid up.

It was a few hours later. Baekhyun came into the room where his wife stayed, she was lying weakly on the bed while her head was turning to the window. He put a smile, his best smile, so that he would look normal in front of her. He walked slowly toward her and then grabbed her pale cold hand. “Hey,” he called her, but was surprised when she slowly swung her arm like she didn’t want to be touched at all by her husband.

Why? Baekhyun was quiet for a second before he started to spoke again. “What is it?” He asked, a smile still lingering on his lips.

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier that I have ataxia?”

He widened his eyes a little. “Who told you that?”

“You don’t need to know.” She turned to face him, her pale face showed a bitter and cold expression. “I don’t need lies, Baekhyun. I need to know too.”

“It’s for your own best-“

Sunhee scoffed a little, her voice was feeble. “For my own best? Yeah, I ended up on a hospital bed.”

Baekhyun closed his eyes and sighed, he was trying to keep himself down from being upset. “Look, if you knew this earlier, you will overthink and everything will be abandoned. I knew you, Sunhee, I’m your husband.” He told her shakily, his eyes looked sharply into hers. “I’m doing whatever I can do to keep you the way you used to be.”

“So you hate the Sunhee I am right now?” She spat, disappointment filling her voice. “You hated that I’m now sick? How could you be this mean to me?”

He was surprised that it suddenly turned into a misunderstanding between them. “It’s not that-“

He was cut off when she turned her head slowly back to see the window. “Go away, I… I don’t wanna see you.” She said dismissively and coldly, hurting his heart and his feelings. “Please.” He pleaded her while holding her arm, kneeling slightly while crying onto her palm. “I’m sorry, I… Please, Sunhee. I just don’t want anything bad happen to you.”

Sunhee secretly and quietly cried too when she felt a lot of tears falling on her hand, but she was still looking at the windows. She hated how he was saying that he wanted to keep her the way she used to be, which meant he might didn’t like the way she was right now. I’m sorry, too, Baekhyun.


OMG guys I'm very sorry for the long wait! I'm pretty busy last year and everything keeps me out of the way, but here I am, hopefully you all are still here with me! Thank you for so many subs, upvotes and comments, you guys have no idea how much it encourages me and makes me feel really happy. I'm also sorry if this chapter is bad or anything - I'm trying my best. Please comment and let me know what you think!

**Anyway, guys, I'm writing a new fanfiction soon featuring Chanyeol x OC. If you are excited, please sub to my profile / add me to be updated about the fanfic. Post on my wall too, I'd love to interact with you guys about anything!