Promises Made, Promises Broken

The Traveler: A Multidimensional Love Story

 

That night, you were curled up on the couch with your aunt, watching the latest Korean drama as the rain fell heavily outside. A soft tapping came at the door. 

“Who could that be, at this late hour? ----------, go get the door.” your aunt said.

You got up and opened the door, letting out a gasp. 

It was the stray dog, looking up at you expectantly. “Did you forget your promise so soon, ---------?”

“I- I thought you weren’t going to come,” you muttered guiltily. 

“Tonight is the night that I wish to spend with you. Will you let me in?”

 

“---------, who is it?” your aunt called.
You walked into the living room with the stray dog limping behind you. It looked even uglier now that its fur was wet, and it smelled horrible.

“Um, aunt,” you said nervously. “One year ago, I made a promise to a dog. He went and got my ball for me, and in return I would let him stay a night in my house.”

Your aunt raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “-------, you are imagining things. Get that filthy creature out of the house now!”

“Remember your promise, ---------” the dog said. For some reason, your aunt couldn’t hear him speaking.

“Aunt, you said, cringing in embarrassment, “I’m sorry, but I need to keep my promise. I’ll just take him up to my room so you won’t notice him.”

Your aunt frowned. “Make sure you clean up whatever mess he leaves behind!”

 

The dog calmly followed you up the stairs to your bedroom, tracking mud on the nice carpet. He hungrily ate the food you gave him, drooling everywhere. His ribs showed, and he hacked several times, flinging mud and who know what else from his coat. The stray was very ill. After he finished, he looked up at you, tail wagging.

“Um, I’m just going to go to bed now…” you said awkwardly. “Make yourself comfortable.” 

You lay down, and in a flash the dog had leaped up on the bed next to you.

“EW!” you shrieked. He was incredibly filthy and already you could see the sheets getting dirtier.

“Dog, I gave you food. You are spending the night in my bedroom. But you are sick. Now get the hell off my bed!” Before he could respond, you gave a huge push and shoved him violently off the bed. 

There was a loud crack! You turned to look. The dog had hit his head on your bedside table, and wasn’t moving.

“Oh, oh no!” you cried. “Dog, I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to hurt you!”

The dog didn’t say anything. Instead his large brown eyes looked up at you sadly, then closed.

 

A golden mist came out of nowhere and shimmered over the dog’s body, covering him completely. 

“What’s going on?!” you said, scared.

The golden mist disappeared as suddenly as it came. But instead of the dog’s body, the young man from school lay there!

His soft brown eyes fluttered open and gazed at you. “Hello. You’re so much more beautiful when I look at you as a human…” he whispered. Then a burst of pain flashed across his face and he cried out.

“Please, just tell me what’s going on!” you begged, starting to cry.

He reached out a hand and brushed a tear away. “Don’t cry,” he said softly. “I’m a prince, from a land and time far away. I was cursed into being a dog by an evil witch, only allowed to be a human for one day a year. That day was yesterday, the day I met you.”

Another spasm rippled across his body, and he gasped in pain.

Wishing you could do more, you took his hand and gripped it tightly.

“You killed my dog body and broke the curse. But now, I am a human prisoner and I must go and serve the witch for the rest of my days.”

As he finished speaking, a huge hole was ripped in the air in front of you. As the wind pulled at your hair, you glimpsed a dark tower with lightning flashing in front of it. You knew that this was where the witch lived, and she wanted her prize.

“No!” you cried. “Let me help you! I can come with you!”

He only smiled sadly and shook his head. “Where I am going, you cannot follow. Live your life well, and do not think of me.”

The realization hit you like a brick. “But I love you!” you said, sobbing.

 

His mouth fell open and hopeful look came over his face. “You do? Then I have a chance! I love you too. I've loved you even before that day on the beach...” He hesitated. “The way is dangerous. Are you sure you are ready?”

Your eyes lit up at the thought of an adventure to save the one you love. “Yes!”

“Then here.” He reached out a hand, and a golden bubble passed from his palm to yours. You felt it enter you, and warmth slowly spread through your body. 

“This is my gift to you,” his whispered. “Now you can go anywhere in time in space that you need to go. Just concentrate, and you’re there. You will find me during your darkest hour, at the end of all things, where no love has ever been. I love-” 

But the portal in your room had suddenly opened wider, and before he could finish his sentence, he was away and into the dark world, the hole closing behind him.

"I love you. And I will search through all of space and time to find you again!" you cried.

But he was already gone.

"I don't even know your name," you whispered to the air. Suddenly exhausted, you crawled to your bed and fell deeply asleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

=================

Author's Note: Hello readers! Thanks for noticing my story :) Please feel free to comment, as your feedback is much loved and appreciated. So, the point of the "YOU CHOOSE" thing is that your character, ---------------, will be traveling around the universe to different places and times. You guys get to decide who she meets in her travels! Choose any guy or girl from kpop, and just leave your suggestions in the comments :) I'll be updating this story soon, hopefully. Thanks for reading!!