The Aries

The Midnight Rose

“How many more times would I have to repeat myself?”               

His normally calm and pleasant demeanour slowly changed and his face contorted in an all - consuming anger; his nostrils flaring, his eyes flashing and closing into slits, his mouth quivering and drooling, slurring words that were unintelligible; came spewing into space like a volcano releasing its pent up emotions into the darkness. 

His hands closed into fists and he crouched forward, daring the other party to repeat once more the words that had torn his pride into fragments that had dashed all his expectations of what once his lover had of him.

Love- We are no monsters and we will never be. As long as we are beside each other, I’ll protect you-

Tears banked in his eyes and He didn't wait! 

He then let go with a right uppercut to the head that sent the traitor flying from one side of the room to the other at what seemed like the speed of light. His body made contact with the opposite wall and he slid to the floor like a sack of potatoes. 

“We came in peace, all in a good mind to negotiate. It would not bring you any good in harming us. We’re just mere humans.”

A man with thick red hair spoke while helping his fellow mate up.

The man sitting at the centre of the large hall eyed his son, quietly yet sternly telling him to control his anger and calm down.

He knew the amount of grief his son had to keep in his already dead heart and he wasn’t going to lie that he, the majesty himself was still greatly affected by her departure.

It was about time they all forgot about her and led on with life, in darkness. It had been almost hundred years since she left them and it was time to let go of her memories.

His son was already used to the life without her; he was used to the emptiness and pain.

“How is disdaining, us going to help you humans? Is this the ethical culture of yours?”

The older man spoke; his low dry voice circulated the whole hall drawing everyone’s attention. He managed to keep his majestic figure but it was an un-spoken fact that he was boiling in the inside.

If only he was in his son’s age now, he would have already pounced on every single one of them and drunk out till their last spot of blood. But now he had to be a role model to his clan and be the wise Leader he really was.

“We just wanted to make sure, that no harm would be caused to human kind by the vampires”

“We do not kill anyone, unless it’s necessary. We only take what is required and what is rightfully ours. And no one is allowed to stop us from that… no one. And you know that.”

He replied in a single breathe, his eyes spoke the truth churning nervous hormones in the humans body, they finally realised that they were indeed speaking to the King of Vampires. One wrong move and there might never be blood running in their system ever again.

Silence proclaimed the area for a short second before the screeching of the chair broke it. One of the men among the humans stood up and reached out his right hand forward.

“I trust that you would stay true to your words. We humans shall keep the identity of your kind to ourselves till our last breath and just continue believing that vampires are non-existing mystical demon-like creatures that once lived in cheap fable stories.”

The shoulders of the younger lad stiffen upon the human’s fearless and ruthless speech, but he decided to turn a blind eye on them.

They were all going to pay for this one day, now wasn’t the time yet but that day would eventually come and he knew it.

The older man took the man’s hand into a handshake with an unpleasant smirk on his face. He was going to take a new step together with the humans and he felt that no good would come out from this.

Something was going to happen and he could feel it.

***

YOONA's POV

I always see a tall figure at the corner of the hazy alley. I never really got the chance to see his face but I knew he was one handsome looking guy. He had unending long legs and a really toned body, his skin was un-naturally white that contrasted so abruptly against his dark thick midnight black hair.

He was just so surreal.

I wanted to talk to him, I wanted to know how he looked like, sounded like, smelled like and I wanted to ask him why, was he always standing at this side of the scary alley.

Was he waiting for someone? Or was this just his hobby? I took cautious baby steps towards the mysterious faceless figure hoping to at least get one small look of his face, tapping his shoulders slightly I got the man to turn around but.

“Im Yoona! Wake up!”

I woke up to the panic screaming of my elder sister Yuri. What happened did our kitchen eventually caught on fire? Sh*t, Mother was going to kill us both for real this time.

“Hurry and call the fire service!!”

“What?”- So there wasn’t any fire after all, how relieving. But that didn’t last when I realised that I was running late for school.

“Goodness gracious, it’s already nine-forty! I’m so dead”

I dashed across my room in a split second like a thunder, stripped down in the washroom and resorted into having a really quick shower.

Slipping on a blue silk dress that didn’t require any ironing, I tied my hair up into a messy loose bun. Short hair might have been so much easier to manage at times like these, having long thick hair can be a real inconvenience at times like this.

Before rushing out of my room, I grabbed my strawberry lip balm and travel pack aloe Vera lotion bottle and threw them in my white sling bag. I could never live without those two things, those were my life essentials.

Making sure that I had my note book, pencil case, my history compo and most importantly my story book in my bag; I ran out of my house and didn’t stop till I reached the gate of my school.

I’m lucky; school was just few blocks away. I managed to reach class by ten-twenty and to my biggest surprise Mr Raphael; my history teacher wasn’t in class.

That strict teacher was usually ten-minutes early in class to hand out the ‘homework’ that we were supposed to hand up at the end of the day. How was it even considered homework, when you’re doing them in class? 

***

Yoona took a sit next to her partner, who greeted her with a bright smile like he always did every morning. Seungri took a long look at his beautiful friend who gracefully plopped on the sit next to him.

She looked beautiful even without a speck of makeup; she was way more attractive than the girls who carried pounds of makeup on the faces every morning.

“Let me guess, the same tall man at the alley again?”

“Ohhh….i was so close into seeing his face. I’m sure he’s one fine looking man”

Yoona complained to her buddy before pulling out her current favourite novel. The story was so well written it managed to satisfy her cravings of vampire romance.

She never believed in their existence but she wished that such perfect creatures really existed. As long as they weren’t going to bring their sharp fangs anywhere near her fragile neck, she wasn’t going to mind their existence.

“Vampire stories again?”

Seungri shot a questioning look towards his friend who seemed not too concerned with his murmuring.

“Stop ignoring me and answer my question!”

Yoona slammed her book on the table, creating a soft ‘thud’ sound before turning her attention to him. Her eyes were crooked and her lips were flat in an un-happy grin. 

“Do you even read books?” – She asked; her straight face still on her usually pretty face.

“No?”    

“You see this novel, it is an amazing piece of art and only readers can see that!”

Yoona ‘hmped’ at her friend and took the book back to her hands and continued from where she stopped. Her left hand was fiddling with the laminated maple leaf that she used as a bookmark when she turned the thin page of the book.

“What’s the tittle?”

“It’s called the Children of Angels and it’s an amazing story about a vampire and ang-”

Seungri immediately held his hands up in surrender, stopping the excited girl. He didn’t want to get her started with the story, once she starts there’s nothing called stopping.

And he wasn’t in mood for hearing stories of non-existing evil creatures that apparently his crush loved. Vampires were just surreal creatures to him; they never existed and never will.

Yoona was soon left alone with her novel and fantasy world as Seungri decided to take a tiny nap before class started.

Minutes later, hollow sounds of thick wooden heels started echoing at the corridor way getting everyone to get back to their sits and start with their good kids act. Those were the famous sounds of their principle’s noisy wooden clogs. The sound they all hated.

The prideful principle walked into the class with a bright smile on her face, the smile on her face dropped a little into an unsatisfying frown upon the sight of the still messy class. But nevertheless she cleared to commend with her speech. 

Yoona placed her maple leaf bookmark at the spine of the novel and closed her book. She was starting to feel a little uneasy for some reason, why was the principle in class anyway; where was Mr Raphael?  

 “Settle down kids, I have got news to share” –her authoritative travelled all the way to the back of the class, catching everyone’s attention.

Yoona shared a questioning look with Seungri for a second before turning back to look at their principle who was standing at the mouth of their class.

Madame Lee took a deep breathe, unable to hid her big satisfied smile. She seemed to be trying really hard to keep a straight face but it was useless, anyone could tell that she was happy; really happy.

“Okay. Mr Raphael will unfortunately be unable to continue his service in our school due to some personal commitments.”

Clearly forcing a disappointed frown, she continued speaking about the class’s former history teacher despite all the groans that were irrupting from the ‘student body’. Mr Raphael was a harsh teacher but he was the generally a teacher that any student would miss.

“But I have good news for you guys”

Suddenly perking up her tone, she signalled someone to enter the class. The moment the stranger walked into the classroom; only gasps and hanging mouths were evident.

The man, who had just walked into the class, somehow managed to wipe out the entire female population there; including the principle herself.

He was the epitome of handsomeness anyone would agree with that statement.  His fox-like eyes briefly scanned the whole classroom under eyes, and an amused smirk sprouted on his lips.

“He…he is Mr Choi and he will be your new History teacher. He is the youngest teacher on duty and today is his first day in school. Therefore I want all of you to treat him well and welcome him to the ‘Westwood family’. Do you understand?”

The girls in class shouted back a ‘yes’ to their principle, their eyes already roaming down their y teacher’s body.  While the boys were too preoccupied complaining about their teacher’s ‘annoying’ looks to their partners beside them.   

“Mr Choi, would you like me to say anything else”

The man loosened his muscles before smiling warmly at the principle, literally melting her down like ice cream.

“I think I’ve got this Madam Lee, I’d like to take it from here”

His thick low voice echoed softly in the almost silent class, as the dead girls died all over again. His voice was such a turn- on to them who were trying to fight back their hormones.

“Are you sure? Don’t you need any more of my help” – It was clear that she didn’t want to leave. She didn’t want him to vanish from her sight, her eyes were really happy upon seeing such an authentic art piece.

The man did nothing but nodding his head a little. Almost commanding the principle to ‘get lost’. Madam Lee finally shouted a ‘good Luck’ to him before running away with a flushed pink face.

***

The girls in the class remained in their dreamy-mode upon their en-counter with their real life prince charming.  The man rubbed his hands in a swift motion before settling himself on the teacher’s table at the front of the class, perching on the edge of the grey metal table.

“Okay, let’s talk. I can’t conduct any lesson today since there’s only twenty minutes left” -he swiftly took a look at his wristwatch before giving his students a small smile once again.

Everyone straightened themselves in their sits and nodded their heads in glee. It was always a good thing to talk with handsome lads.

“So, let me introduce myself again. I’m Choi Minho and I’ll be your new History teacher. I’m 23 years old and I’ve graduated with a Master’s in History at UK. I’ve always wanted to be a teacher and therefore I’m here. Any more questions?”

Looking at the female students in class, he knew that they were going to bombard him with more questions. Their eyes told him everything and the ever dreaded questions were going to be repeated once again. He didn't want to answer them but he knew he had to. 

“And before you guys ask. I skipped a whole load of levels therefore I managed to get my master’s at a young age. And I..”

He stopped his words for a second before swallowing back bile from his throat. It was going to hurt real bad to speak the next few words.

“I’m single.”

The girl’s face brightened upon hearing those words. Was their y teacher giving them some hope to live with for the entire semester?

“So now it’s your turn. Any volunteers”

Almost half the class; the female half of the class raised their hands in lightning speed. All, except for one.

Minho’s eyes fell on a particular girl, who seemed to be too engrossed with her novel. Was she even listening to what he was saying all this while?

He couldn’t get to see the girl’s face clearly, since she was cooping down and few naughty strands that escaped from her fringe were covering her face. But whatever the reason was, he was irritated. He wasn’t used to such reactions from the human form and he wasn’t liking it.

***

“The lady; in the blue dress. Could you please stand up and introduce yourself?!”

His tone went a little higher then he intended as the whole class turned their heads to look at Yoona who was still oblivious of her surroundings. 

She had gotten very into her book that she didn’t even hear her teacher’s question.  Seungri slightly nudged his friend a little; Worrying that, she was going to get into trouble right on the first day.

“What?” – She turned to look at her friend for a second; who seemingly was signalling her to look to the front.

***

YOONA's POV

Sh*t! I was going to get into trouble. I had somehow lost interest in our new teacher the very moment he opened his mouth to speak; there was just something about him that frightened me. 

I didn’t like him, not even a speck. Slowly standing up, I plucked up my courage to raise my head to meet Mr Choi’s eyes.

His eyes had somehow grown a little bigger; they were so big and golden-brown that i could clearly see through them, right into his soul which seemed to be bruised really badly.

Nobody spoke, why wasn’t he asking me any questions? How am I supposed to even introduce myself to start with? Why was he looking at me as if he’s going to swallow me up in whole – making me all self-conscious.

The only thing I could infer from all these was that the whole class was staring at the both of us. Burning a hole through my head.  

***

“Sorry?”

Her voice came out a lot softer and meeker than intended, as she looked back at her teacher who had apparently frozen to the spot.  Minho somehow managed to break from the spell as he blinked back his doubt and continued on.

“Pl.. Please introduce you..yourself” – his voice came out shaky as he turned away, fearing that his inner intentions would be revealed.

“mmm.. my name is Im Yoona, I’m in the ballet Interest Group in school and I'm an Aries. I love to read books, vampire books~”

She cooed with her sweet voice as mocking laughter erupted from the students, upon hearing the love she had for vampire stories.  How old was she to believe in 'fairytale' creatures?

“Weirdo~”

A girl from the group ‘whispered’ loudly to her peer beside her.  Yoona couldn’t do anything but brush aside their criticisms; she was used to all of those. It had always been like this since fifth grade and she was sure it would remain as of how it was.

She wasn’t surprised about her classmates but of what Mr Choi did right after that. Minho’s eyes narrowed a little as he cleared his throat catching everyone’s attention.  

“That’s wonderful! I like vampires too.”

***

MINHO's POV

The moment the girl raised her head to face me, i knew something wasn’t right. It just couldn’t be.

If you love me, I’ll forever shine brightly in the sky as the stars just for you. I’ll protect you ~

Those words are starting to haunt me once again. –Make them stop!–

Those words I thought I had already forgotten centuries ago. 

Do you know the definition of beauty? Have you seen something with the pureness of a new-born child? She was the epitome of all those sayings. And that’s revolting; she was already starting to burn a whole through my heart.

With a clueless expression drawn on her face; she floated up from her sit - for no other term could describe the way she moved without apparent weight or even much more apparent movement than a small flicker of her flowing blue dress.

My whole mind and soul were somehow trapped within her wondrous, lustrous face glowing like the light of the moon at harvest, topped by that luscious, ash brown flowing hair that fell forever away from her deep brown and somehow ensnaring eyes and pink lips that drew me to them like a whirlpool draws doomed sailors.

Unable to take my eyes away from her and maybe even almost unable to move. She drew me in deeper and deeper - I could only stand and stare like a rabbit trapped in the sharp-pointed glow of the hunter's torch.

What could I do? What could any man do? I forced myself to wake from this dream, I had to. Before they all realised that I was staring.

Her voice rung at the side of my sharp ears but I couldn’t make up what she was saying- for all I was concerned about now was that she had to stay away from me.  Real far-

The only word I was able to catch from the small conversation she had with me was ‘Vampire’. Are you kidding me!!

Why did she have to believe in ‘surreal’ creatures like us? We were just characters that lived in imaginations of ‘weird’ people.

***

The class went silent for a second and on cue the bells went off, in a repeating siren. It was the end of their History class. Unfortunately for Minho, the next History lesson was two days after.

He wasn’t going to see that girl for a whole two days, at least that was what he hoped for. He needed sometime to clear his mind. 

Standing up to his full height, the class teacher scanned the class one last time only getting his eyes stuck at a certain person.

“See you in two days. Don’t be late for class”

Their eyes met for a second but the moment her eyes gave out the clueless vibes once again he turned to face the whole class, making it seem that those words  were for the entire class.

Walking out of the classroom like a model would, he felt as if all their eyes were on his back view. He turned back to look at the class and he was right, all the girl’s eyes were on him except for that person and all the guy’s eyes were on her.

A dangerous growl erupted from the depths of his throat as he walked away thinking of what he was supposed to do with the golden rose that was alive and breathing right in front of him.

Maybe sometimes, there are things that are not supposed to be changed; things that need to happen just happen.- And nobody can stop that, nobody.

 

Hi, please leave a small comment below. Do you like the idea of a vampire story? Should i continue this story? Sorry if my writing is not up to standard, i'll try to improve my writing skills to deliver a novel-like experience for you guys. I hoped you like it :)