Pain

The Boogeyman

She had been teaching not seeing him but somehow she would feel that he would sit there smiling at her.

 

While coming home, she thought of him and that was when the wind blew. She stopped because she thought she heard something. She thought she heard the wind mourning. She stopped near the lake and saw someone standing.

 

His figure seemed awfully familiar.

Mustafa…

He turned to her and smiled then walked away to a house far away.

The house near the lake.

 

Maybe he was calling her in.

But what if he wants to harm her?

Although his presence gave her no bad vibe she was scared nevertheless.

Maybe he wants something from her. Could it be her help?

 

She walked to the house and saw the name plate.

The Lone house.

He was nowhere to be seen but the door was unlocked.

She walked in pushing the door and met the dark corridor. She walked further when she heard the door shut. She panicked and tried hustling with the door.

She screamed out hoping someone to hear her…but she heard nothing.

She stopped and turned to see the way before her.

She could almost cry.

 

She walked and saw the stairs on her right and a door on the left but she chose to walk ahead. She saw a girl standing however her figure was gray-scaled. Jiwon walked before her and saw her face…the face of a non-Korean girl and her face was filled with fear.

 

A knife suddenly passed before her; shocking Jiwon and hit the other one. Jiwon staggered and hit the wall and saw the girl fall. Then cries filled the room.

Her body reacted on her own and fled ahead to the end of the corridor where she met another room. She opened the door but could no longer take another step.

 

It was because a body hung from the ceiling…the body belonging to Mustafa…

She stepped back finally mourning for the boy.

He was dead…and this was how he died. She ran out in the empty corridor where the girl’s body no longer lay and heard another cry coming from the room.

There she saw two bodies on the bed and an infant in the cot.

 

All dead.

Then she heard a scream coming from upstairs; crying for help. Jiwon couldn’t help herself and ran upstairs and found the room where she saw…something she never wanted to see.

 

The man in white hair hovering over a frail girl.

She was fighting him with all her strength but he was stronger.

Jiwon covered trying to resist her cries.

 

“STOP IT! PLEASE STOP!”

She did not realize whose voice it was…the victim’s of her own.

She knew it wasn’t real but it was painful enough that she had shut her eyes.

She heard the screams fade away and she finally opened her eyes.

 

She knew she could get out now and she had to. She ran out of the room; climbing down and running out of the door but she stopped seeing a man standing in front of her.

 

A man whose face was very exceptional.

 

“Who are you?”

He asked with a hint of annoyance.

 

“I…”

 

“What are you doing here?”

He asked accusingly as he slowly marched towards her making her step back.

 

“I was…”

 

“Do you know you’re tress-passing my property?”

He was close enough to make her hit the wall of the house.

 

“There’s something…”

His hands slammed on the walls beside her; trapping Jiwon completely.

 

“What gave you the right to enter my house?!”

He shouted scaring Jiwon who was mopping silently.

 

“I’m sorry…”

She knew that whatever she would say, he might not believe it. there was something in this house and Mustafa wanted her to know and save it.

 

“I ought to hand you over the police right now!”

She couldn’t even plead him not to do that. Before she could say anything, the man’s expression had changed and slowly moved away from her.

Taking this chance she scurried away from the place and didn’t look back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

That was the first time he had seen her…Jiwon. He still didn’t know how she came to his house that day but due to his father’s words he let her go.

His father somehow had understood that she was the one for him.

 

He was at his house…in his room. He wondered what she had seen here and was crying. He wanted to ask his father who wasn’t present at the moment.

He needed his sleep.

He wanted to escape this nightmare…

 

However that was interrupted when he heard a car screeching outside. He rushed to the window and saw a car abruptly stopping in his property and the door opened. A woman came out however she looked injured…

 

He quickly ran out of his room and the house to see the woman who turned out to be…Chaewon.

Her face was bruised and she was bleeding from .

 

“J-Jaejoong.”    Her body had no strength as it was about to fall but Jaejoong got her.

 

“Miss Chaewon! How did you…why are you?”

He didn’t know what he should ask but he should only think of her body.

 

“Your f-father…your father isn’t h-human…”

His eyes widened…his only thought was how she had known.

 

“I have to take you to the hospital!”

He panicked knowing he could very well do a lot than just drive to the hospital.

 

“No!”    she abruptly stopped him.     “You have to listen to this! I-I knew your mother!”

Her voice weakened as she added.

 

“I was her doctor…I was there when she gave birth to you…”

 

“Let me take you inside…”

He picked her up on his hands and got her inside the house, up to his room and laid her on the bed. He took out a first aid box and noticed the injury.

It was her shoulder.

 

“Your mother…she lived here with her family. She had a younger sister and two younger brothers one of who was an infant. Her parents…had moved here…”

 

“Did my father do this to you?”    Jaejoong could only ask.

 

“Yes…”   she breathed in.    “Because I know about him and what he did.”

 

“What did he do to you?”

 

“He…”    she gulped in before adding.    “He attacked me in the hospital with my surgery equipments. The window glasses broke and I got injured…”

Jaejoong quickly applied the medicine taking pieces of glasses out.

 

“Do you know who he was?”

Jaejoong asked wanting to know more. This was his only chance.

 

“He was a criminal about 50 years ago…he was arrested and executed but somehow he remained. I didn’t believe at first when I heard about him from Murdiyah.”

 

“Murdiyah?”

 

“Your…mother.”

 

“She…wasn’t Korean?”

 

“No…”    she shook her head.    “She was from southern parts…”

 

“What…”    he gulped hoping for some good story.    “What happened to her?”

 

“She died after giving birth to you and…you soon were taken away from the hospital. No one could find you and you had no one left to search for you.”

 

“Why?”   he asked bandaging her shoulder.

 

“Because he killed everyone…except Murdiyah…”

 

“And my mother?”

No…he could guess but he didn’t want to know. He didn’t want to know the thing most child couldn’t bear.

 

“He…”

The window soon opened before she could speak. He knew…he was here. Jaejoong quickly looked around knowing his father would always lurk in the shadows.

 

Jaejoong…she is a nuisance. Kill her!

 

No! She would tell me what I always wanted to know! What you did to people during your lifetime and after life!

 

Don’t be a fool!

Let me kill her!

 

No I wont…

I want to know what you did to my mother and her family…

 

Isn’t it obvious?

What kind of a mortal woman hand herself over to me?

Not even a would do that!

I only had a choice…

 

Even with the possibility of knowing, Jaejoong shook all over. He couldn’t bear the truth. The truth of how his mother had suffered by his hands.

 

How…could you?

My mother?

 

It was because of you!

I needed you to be born and she was the only one who could have done it!

Don’t you get it son?

We are meant to rule these petty beings!

 

And the girl?

Jiwon?

You want me to do the same to her…like you.

I’m nothing like you!

 

You will do what I tell you to!

Or else I will kill her…

 

And he didn’t mean Jiwon. Before his father could even do anything Jaejoong vanished right before Chaewon’s eyes.

Her strength was fading and she could no longer keep her eyes open.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jiwon shook up when the phone rang but due to fear she didn’t go and pick up. She recalled what she had seen that day in the house but never before she dared looking in it.

But it all started after visiting that house.

Seeing the bodies even though they didn’t exist.

 

She wasn’t sleeping. She only wished her mother to be home soon. Finally finding the courage she took her phone and dialed her mother’s office but no one was receiving. She called her mother’s cell but she wasn’t receiving.

 

“Why isn’t she picking up?

Her only thought was perhaps she had decided to stay over the hospital. She decided not to try anymore and just closed her eyes.

 

Help us…

 

Help us…

 

Help us…

Blood…dead bodies…crying victim…and…

 

Jiwon!

 

“Mother!”

Her eyes opened just moments later. She wouldn’t be able to sleep anymore now that she heard her mother’s voice crying for help. Was it actually her?

 

Jiwon! Help us! Help us! Help us!

 

The voice was in her head. She clutched her head trying to stop the voice but it sounded like Mustafa and few others. One of them was her mother’s.

 

“Mama?”

Her cheeks were drenched with her tears. Now she couldn’t even stay not worrying about her mother’s safety.

She got off her bed and just dashed out of the house; locking it from outside. She had an idea where this will all be finished.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

They stood in the abandoned hospital corridor where the only light was a yellow bulb. The pain came off the walls terrifyingly as if it was the crawling hands of the walls. It was the kind of place where serious mentally sick people would torture people.

Just like his father.

 

They stood before each other facing each other.

The two men.

The white haired and the blond haired.

 

Jaejoong knew that his father would do anything for his desires; even kill his own son. The walls soon turned blood red and claw marks appeared.

Bodies appeared behind both of them with blood showered on them. These were all women and these were all his victims.

 

And the fight…started.

It was not a hand to hand fight between father and son.

It was no fight with weapons where both would stand on equal grounds.

It was a fight between a hunter and prey.

Junsu, being the non-human, was torturing his physical body.

 

His body hung from the ceiling as he felt the pain given to his bone joints. He screamed every time he felt the beating on his knees and body.

Jaejoong was thrown around and his flesh was being ripped out from his chest.

His father was doing that all by himself.

As much as didn’t need to use his hands, he liked it nevertheless.

 

Jaejoong screamed and he was no match for him.

Junsu left him alone and walked away with Jaejoong trying to overcome it.

He crawled to the bodies who only looked down at him with those empty eyes.

His father was merely torturing him.

His father wasn’t planning to kill him.

 

But to put some of his own sense in his son’s mind, he had to use measures; as much as he liked it though.

Jaejoong heard the grilling sound as he his back and saw Junsu walked forward with a chainsaw.

 

I will teach you a lesson…

 

Jaejoong hated the sound.

He was scared of it.

His father always used to scare him with it.

Ever since he was young.

To put discipline in him.

To make him obey.

 

Jaejoong tried getting up, getting scared for his life and the pain. Even though his chest was healing, the pain was too vivid to forget.

He got on his feet and ran through the bodies as they only watched him go away.

He ran and kept doing so.

 

His cheeks were wet.

His heart beat fast.

He didn’t want to feel the pain of losing his limbs and re-attaching them.

 

He felt the chainsaw pierce his back and he fell. He screamed loud to resist it, as the chainsaw was still drilling itself in his back. His father walked to his fallen body and took it out; kicking him right after.

 

“AAAAHHHH!”

 

This is what I mean.

This is what happens when you don’t listen to me.

So I your mother and killed her family.

But you were born.

And I love you.

 

YOU LOVE ME! YOU’RE TORTURING ME WITH YOUR TOY AND YOU LOVE ME?! WHAT KIND OF LOVE IS THIS?!”

Junsu stepped on his chest earning a scream from him.

 

Nonsense…

I did it for your existence…

 

“I’D RATHER DIE!”

 

DON’T MAKE ME KILL YOU SON!

 

“I don’t care! I know you cant find another woman to bear your flesh! That’s why you can kill me!”

It shut his father for good.

 

True…I cant kill you.

But you hate the pain nevertheless.

 

He shoved the chainsaw again and this time on his knee joints. He screamed his lungs out filling the walls and bodies just observed.

They felt the same as him.

They were all tortured like this.

They could do nothing.

 

Do you know why I still am here despite my death?

Do you know how I could do all this?

It was because I made a deal with the devil.

 

As much as it was informative, he was too much in pain to even listen.

 

He promised me that if I could sacrifice 30 women, I would survive even after death.

Not just that!

I would also be able to pass it on!

But I had to find the bloodline of the woman who arrested me… that devil was making things hard for me!

 

No…he didn’t want to know any of it. He only wanted him to stop.

 

Four families came by but not one of them was her!

And I had to get them out somehow.

But I couldn’t help but messing with them.

 

He laughed like a maniac while his son screamed.

 

And then she came along…she was the one.

She had all I needed.

Beauty, brains but she had to be too goody!

Her sister was even worse!

She sensed everything!

I had to make her mad first…

 

Jaejoong kicked his other leg to stop it but it just broke his joints.

 

And then that bastard Yoochun had to come and show himself to the sister!

She knew then!

She knew all about me!

I had to finish her…

But I couldn’t do it without having fun with them.

And then…one by one I finished all.

Your mother was left…

And I took her that night!

 

“MAA!!!!!”

He called out to his mother in pain unable to take this anymore. That was when the saw was taken out leaving him almost leg less and he ended up crying clutching his leg in the pool of his blood.

He wondered why his father stopped.

His leg had started healing when he came to his senses. He saw his father stunned and before him stood a woman with few others behind and none of them had blood on them.

 

He knew…he could tell.

His mother.

His aunt.

His uncle.

His grandparents.

 

The woman in the front glanced at him only once and connections were automatically made between them. The bodies behind were being washed away from their blood and revealed their beautiful faces.

All were young, female and looked like prodigies.

He killed those who had bright futures.

 

Expression filled their faces of anger and resent.

His family had to do nothing.

The others did.

 

No! stay back all of you!

Stay back!

STAY BACK!

 

The victims lunged at him and blood spurted out. He wondered how that could happen. His father yelled out for help but not from them.

 

SATAN! HELP ME! I WORSHIPPED YOU! YOU MUST HELP ME!

SATAN!!

NO!

 

Even the devil had abandoned him…

The bodies were finished and nothing of him was left.

As if they devoured him.

They bodies turned and one by one they vanished.

All were now free.

 

He looked at his mother and her family.

Each and every one smiled at him and vanished.

Except one…

 

She walked to him and knelt beside.

She touched his pained face and wiped his tears away.

Her hand was so soft.

He ended up sobbing taking her hand to his lips.

 

“Mother…”

 

You can change…

You can save them…

 

“I wish…I wish to be with you…”

 

You will…

But you have to live like a human being.

Now…time to go…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jiwon parked her car abruptly and saw her mother’s car on the property. She quickly got out and ran towards the house.

 

“Mother! Are you here?!”   she shouted and pushed the door which opened much to her surprise. But what she saw before her shocked her.

The man from before whom she had encountered when she first trespassed this land.

His chest showed stains of blood and his knee bled profusely.

He was on the floor sitting; trying to breathe.

 

“Your…mother…is on the second floor. I’ve called the doctors; they’ll be here soon. I’ve managed to stop her bleeding for now.”

Not questioning further, she dashed upstairs and saw her mother lying on the bed.

She ran to her and saw that she was fine although looked extremely weak. She noticed the first aid box and took it.

She climbed down and saw him there lighting a cigarette. She rushed and kneeled before him.

 

“Oh my god.”    Her voice shook as tears fell out.    “Your chest…your knee…”

She didn’t know anything about medicine but her mother taught her enough to mend wounds. She tried her best not to let her fear fail her. She tried putting medicine on his chest.

 

“What happened?”    she asked quivering while mending.

 

“You should ask your mother…”    he blew the smoke in air.    “She’d be able to tell you better.”

After few seconds of silence she stated.

 

“I saw something when I trespassed this place…I saw bodies in here and…a woman being in the room where mother is at…I couldn’t believe my eyes first…but it was…so real.”

Her voice gave away the terror she had to see.

But for him it was only tragic.

His mother was in the room.

 

After she was done; she sat back and curled her knees.

 

“This isn’t a normal place…is it?”   she asked looking at his injuries which were now mended.

 

“No…”    he put the cigarette on his lips.    “But it exists no more…its gone.”

 

“How?”

 

“Let’s keep that a mystery…”

He stood up and so did she.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Out. Your mother will be fine.”

 

“No! you cant leave!”    she blocked his way.   “You’re injured too! More than mother! I need you for police matters too! For all I know you could have done this to her as well!”

She just didn’t want him to leave her.

She couldn’t bear be alone with the boogeyman watching her.

 

“I’ll be fine…I heal fast.”

 

“Nonsense!”

 

“No…I heal fast. After what you saw that day…you must believe that fast healing also exists. I’ll survive…”

His face softened with a smile and his tone was soothing. She didn’t want to be alone.

 

“But I still need you here with mother. I cant do this-“

Her sentence was cut short with his lips on hers; pushing her head on to himself to deepen the kiss.

Of course she was stunned to have the stranger kissing her.

She shoved her hand on his shoulder to push him however she was unable to do so.

He had pulled away beforehand. She staggered back with her fingers on her lips.

 

“Why-why did you do that?”

Finally able to straighten up; he answered.

 

“Because I’m your boogeyman.”

He made his exit leaving her shocked and the sirens were soon heard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Her mother was fine and she shoved away all the possible criminal cases. But they had to share a lot with each other.

Everything was revealed between them.

Of course Jiwon had to hide about the kiss. She couldn’t possibly tell her mother that.

 

But where was he?

The next day she visited the house but she saw that it was under demolition.

She approached one of the worker.

 

“Why is this place being demolished?”

 

“The owner ordered it. the letter came by the council last night.”

 

“Do you know where it came from?”

 

“Nah…it was just there with the documents of the house and all.”

She was left devastated.

Her mother wanted to see him…

In a way so did she.

 

He was the boogeyman who had tormented her all these days and months but…he saved her mother.

How could she forget that?

 

She went back to the hospital feeling not so scared anymore.

At least she had her mother.

 

“I wish…to hear you again.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The child cried on the bed, tied up, for his mother. His face was quite bruised from the beatings he had received. A man in a corner sharpened his Rampuri knife but was getting annoyed with the cries. He rushed to the kid and smacked him again.

 

“Shut up you son of a ! If you cry once more I’ll slice your lips!”

The kid resisted crying; gritting his teeth. This wasn’t supposed to happen to him.

He was just playing alone when this man approached him and offered him candy.

But he said he had more in his house so the kid tagged along and this was where he is for the past 2 hours.

 

“That’s like a good boy. You know I made a deal with the devil just like you made a deal about candy with me.”

He smiled showing his rotten set of teeth.

 

“He said if I deliver 5 children like you, he will give me something in return.”

 

“Please don’t hurt me mister…I don’t wanna die!”

He whimpered making the man laugh.

 

“Please don’t hurt me…”    he mocked the kid and cackled at his own joke.     “This is your punishment for taking candy from strangers. Didn’t your mommy tell you not to take candy from strangers?”

The kid ended up crying loudly annoying him once again and this time he took the kid’s lips and neared the knife.

 

“I am super annoyed now.”

He was about to slice the knife when a noise stopped him. pulling the knife away he left the kid.

 

“Who’s there?! Show yourself!”

But no one seemed to be there so it must be just the wind. He walked back to the kid but the bed was empty.

His eyes widened as he felt pain from his back coming out through his stomach.

His mouth opened but no sound came out and he fell on his own blood.

 

The kid waited outside and saw the man coming out. Blood was smudged on him but he approached the kid.

 

“Run along now…and don’t tell anyone about me. And don’t talk to strangers from now on.”

He smiled ruffling the kid’s head and the kid nodded.

He dashed off leaving the man alone.

Sighing heavily, his hands ran through his blond locks.

 

He needed to sleep.

But he also needed to stop these dealings.

He walked to his bike and hopped on and a little blue glowing sphere levitated on his head.

 

“North you say?”   he mumbled. Maybe he will find a place and a case.    “Thanks Munif…”

The sphere vanished and so did he on his bike by riding.

He liked riding…

And the girl…

He would like to see her again.

 

And he will one day.