The Race

Run Junhyung Run
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

As soon as Hyunseung finishes introducing himself to everyone, Kikwang blows his whistle again to get us to gather around him.

“Practices will be every Monday to Wednesday, rain or shine. I don’t care.” Some of the boys groan and someone shouts something about being insured.

“Since this is the first week of practice for the semester, I will let you boys get off easy. However..” Kikwang stops to stare at everyone, “ you boys better perform better this time around and I want to see the trophy on display in my room again. The competition will be in a month time. Junhyung, I can count on you right?”

At the mention of my name, I quickly look up and nod. Kikwang seems satisfied and beams.

“Alright then. Junhyung, lead them with the warm up exercises. The sooner we start, the earlier you all can leave.”

Everyone takes their respective position and starts stretching. Hyunseung just stands there because he doesn’t know where to go. I turn around, wanting to lead Hyunseung to stand beside me so that I can show him on how to go about with the warm up exercises but Doojoon beat me to it.

“Hyunseung ! Come here! I’ll show you.”

Hyunseung looks at Doojoon and then to me before he smiles at Doojoon while thanking him. I frown but I let it slide.

This is nothing, this is nothing …

For the rest of practice Doojoon is always by Hyunseung’s side, not that I’m complaining because at least I can concentrate instead of worrying about Hyunseung.

“Alright, before I end today’s practice, I wanna time all of you. 100m sprint. Seungri, you are up first.”

“Y..yes sir!”

Seungri, another newbie runs over and nearly trips himself.

I walk towards Doojoon and Hyunseung.

“So what is your best record for the 100m sprint?” Doojoon asks Hyunseung.

“Well, I think it is 12.35 seconds.” Hyunseung says while looking at me.

“Wow, I won’t be surprise if Seungie here beat your record Junhyung.”

Seungie??

“Oh, what is your best time then, if you don’t mind me asking?” I can sense a glint of amusement in his eyes.

“Oh, I…ermm…”

“Junhyung! You are up next. Come on now!” Kikwang beckons me. I utter a quick apology before running off to Kikwang.

~~

 

My right calf feels a little sore but I guess it is expected since I haven’t been practicing much. I wash off the remaining soap on my body and quickly grab the towel. I hate the cold weather and I’d rather stay at home, being all warm and cozy but I can’t skip practice or else Kikwang will kill me (or not since I’m his favorite)

After putting on my clothes, I dash out of the bathroom and head to my locker. I groan internally when I realize that Dongwoon has given us a whole load of homework to finish by tonight.

“Hey, your locker is near mine.”

I jump a little upon hearing his voice as I didn’t expect anyone to be around.

“Ah! yes.. Hyunseung.”

“Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you.” Hyunseung taps his nose while looking down.

“Oh no! Don’t worry ab…” I drop all of my stuff that I am holding when I tried to wave my hands.

“Tsk, crap.” I bend over to pick up my stuff and I can feel my cheeks going warm. From the corner of my eye, I can see Hyunseung kneeling down to pick up one of my textbook.

“You don’t have to..”

“I got it Junhyung. No worries”

I take the textbook from him and shove it into my locker along with everything else.

“I guess I’m also having the same classes as you.” Hyunseung grins.

I just stare at him, feeling a tad bit of annoyance bubbling in my stomach.

“Why are you here? Weren’t you with Doojoon?” I spat at him.

Hyunseung seems genuinely surprised with my little outburst although that didn’t seem to faze him at all.

“So, you are the best runner in this school. I would love to have a race with you.”

This guy has the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter