Restless

Passage

As was usual for Serin, she was alone at home in the evening. Just another day with Hoonmin working overseas. They’d returned from their vacation, and the boys had immediately gone back to work, promoting with AJ once more as he was taking a leave of absence from school for the spring semester. They’d be back in the country in late February, and Serin was glad that they’d be home. She missed seeing Hoon. He sent her multiple text messages a day, checking in on her, seeing how she was doing. It was cute how concerned he was over her wellbeing. She wished she could do more than talk him in the evening over the phone to tell him how she was doing.

Hyunsaeng and Jaehyun had come over earlier to have dinner with her. It had gotten later, and Serin insisted that they leave. Hyunsaeng hadn’t wanted to, saying that she shouldn’t be left on her own, and she’d frowned at him, assuring him she was okay and that she’d call him should she need anything. They’d left then, Jaehyun happily saying goodbye and promising to hang out again whenever she asked, and Hyunsaeng frowning, not liking the idea of her being by herself.

She prepared for bed then, and now she was changed into pajamas and tucked under her blankets, eyeing her phone and wondering if she should call Hoon. It was a bit earlier than usual. The matter was resolved quickly when her phone started vibrating. Hoon was calling her.

“Hi, Hoonie,” she greeted joyously.

“Good evening, love,” he replied, his exhaustion obvious in his voice.

“You sound tired.”

“I’m fine. Really,” he insisted. “What about you? How are you doing?”

“I’m feeling great. I’ve been eating really well. My morning sickness seems to be going away some, as well.”

“That’s good. It must be passing some now that you’re close.” He was being intentionally cryptic, not wanting to specify that he was talking about her being close to the start of the second trimester, as he hadn’t told the members yet. He’d be doing that soon.

“Yep. Next week,” she said, bubbly. “Only a few more days.”

“I’m glad to know you are doing well.”

“You say that every day.”           

“I mean it every day.”

“So how are things in Japan? How is having a roommate again?”

“Well, Jaeseop’s not nearly as fun as you are.”

“Fun?” she insinuated.

“No,” he said indignantly, embarrassment in his voice. “I didn’t mean it like that. I mean, like, he likes to stay in his own world and doesn’t really talk to me. He’s always been like that, but after spending so much time with you and not having him around for awhile, it’s really obvious that just being with you is more fun.”

“Well, it’s not like we’d have much fun of the other sort anyway right now.”

“I know. And I know it would be safe to do it, especially when I get back, but it feels risky to me still. I don’t want to chance anything. Even if it means we don’t make love until August.”

“Hoonie,” Serin said gently, “we can find other ways. Don’t be afraid to tell me your needs, okay? We can always talk it over.”

“Yeah,” Hoon agreed. “Hold on, Serin.”

She waited then, while she listened to his muffled voice speaking to someone else.

“I’m back,” he said after a bit. “It was just Jaeseop. He’s going to bed, and it’s my turn to shower. I’m going to have to go then.”

“Okay,” she acknowledged regretfully.

“I’ll be home before long,” he told her. “We’ve got a few weeks left here.”

“I know. I just miss you. It’s easier to keep myself occupied when I’ve got work, but my dad and brothers are systematically reducing how much work I have to do, so I’m kind of bored. Gives me more time to think about how much I miss you. And with the baby and everything, it’s just harder for me to deal with your absence this time than it’s been in the past.”

“I understand. I miss you a lot. I worry for you, and every spare minute, I wonder how you’re doing. Just keep me in the loop. I’m always thinking about you. I can’t wait to come home and see you again.”

She smiled, pleased by his words. “When are you telling the guys?”

“In like two weeks, probably. Right before we come back.”

“Did you tell the president already?”

“Not yet. I’m going to call him before long and let him know first.”

“Sounds good to me,” she said then. “And I’ll let you go take that shower. Talk to you later, Hoonie. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, Serin,” he said softly. “I love you.”

She returned the sentiment, saying, “I love you, too.” They ended their conversation there, and Serin rolled over, more tired than she’d realized after a long day, and fell asleep.

--

Having already told the president about Serin’s pregnancy earlier in the week, Hoon was mentally preparing to inform the members. He was sure their managers knew, as well. And Soohyun had found out over a month ago by being able to accurately guess what was going on based on their slightly abnormal behavior.

He was practicing with the members, waiting for a good opportunity to share the news. Soohyun knew he was planning on it today. They’d just done their Valentine’s Day event in Japan, something that had become a sort of annual tradition, and they were practicing for a few additional performances of the latest Japanese single before returning home to promote in Korea again. He was excited to finally tell the members the news.

Finally, a break was called, and Hoon said, “Hey guys. Can I tell you something quick?”

All of them turned their attention to him. “What’s up?” Eli asked, curious.

“I want you guys to know that Serin is pregnant again.”

“Oh…” Kevin said, as the rest fell into silence.

“She’s already past the riskiest part. Because it wasn’t as pressing this time, we waited to tell people. She’s over three months in. Things should be fine, but just to be safe, please don’t tell anyone yet. We're going to announce it publicly before long, but I wanted you guys to know before that.”

They all nodded in unison. “Congratulations,” Kevin said then, voice low and thoughts turned inward.

Hoon knew what they were thinking about. All of them were worried. It hung so heavy over them it was almost tangible. Soohyun cleared his throat to get their attention. “Remember that she’s past the riskiest stage, guys. The chances of the same thing happening again are much lower.”

After a brief time of silent, AJ said, “I’m not really surprised. I figured something like that was up. You were asking Serin about her physical well being a lot more than is… normal.”

“Did you know, Soohyun?” Kiseop asked then.

He nodded. “I figured it out during the trip.”

Eli’s eyes suddenly lit up in understanding. Why he’d upset her so much during their vacation, and Hoon could see the apologetic look in his eyes as he said, “So that’s why…”

“She’s healthy, right?” Kiseop asked. “She’s not getting emotionally stressed out, is she?”

“The doctor says she’s doing just fine. He’s been watching her fairly closely. I’ve been trying to do what I can to make her life easier where possible,” Hoon explained. “I’m relying a lot on Hoonbi and her brother’s right now, though. I can’t do much to make her life easier when I'm out of the country.”

“I’m happy for you,” Kevin said then. “You must be excited.”

“I am. But I’m also really worried,” Hoon admitted then. “I’m a bit less stressed out about things now that we’re into the second trimester, but I can’t help but worry. I want to be a father. I don’t want to go through the same pain again.”

“I’ll definitely be praying for you guys,” Kevin said.

“Thank you.”

“When is the baby due?” Eli asked suddenly.

“August 10,” Hoon answered patiently. “It’s only a guess though.”

“Maybe the baby will be born on your birthday,” Kevin mused.

Soohyun took charge of the conversation then. “We still have a lot of practice to get through today. And a few more photoshoots and interviews. Let’s stay focused here. We’ll have plenty of time to talk about Hoonmin and Serin’s good news in the coming weeks,” he told them. “Let’s get back to work.”

At his words, they split up, refocusing, and putting their all into their work.

--

“Are you sure you’re ready to announce it?” Hoon asked her, pressing his nose into her hair as they lied in bed together one morning. “You don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

“I do have to,” Serin said to him. “I’m starting to show now. If fans happen to see me in the street, they’re going to start spreading rumors. It’ll be much easier to just address it openly before rumors start circulating.”

“You’re right,” he admitted. “I just am worried about everything. I’ve been researching about staying safe during a pregnancy. I know you’ve been eating really well, but things will go a lot smoother if you’re in shape. You should start working out with me.”

“Well, I can, but you can’t push me too hard.”

“I won’t. We’ve just got a nice exercise room here, and I think it’ll help you stay healthier. Your health is really important. But I know. I can’t push you like I push myself. You don’t need to exert yourself. Just stay fit and in shape.”

“Then I suppose I’ll start waking up earlier to work out with you. Change up the routine a bit. Get myself back in shape. It’s been awhile since I put effort into it.”

“Just not too much effort,” he instructed. “I really don’t want you to put too much stress on your body.”

“I won’t. And you’ll be helping me, so I know you’ll watch out for me.”

“I will,” he promised. Her second alarm went off then, indicating that it was time for her to get out of bed and begin the day. She stood up and stretched, growing belly peaking out from under her pajama shirt. He wanted to hug her, but he still had plenty of time left to sleep before he had to be in that morning. When she walked into the bathroom to take a shower, he rolled over and couldn’t go back to sleep, so he stood up to make her breakfast, partially to give himself something to do since he couldn’t sleep, and partially to be sure she ate a healthy and nutritious breakfast for the sake of the baby.

            --

Four months in. Five more to go. Hoon’s worry had subsided a bit as the halfway mark drew closer. The doctor said she was healthy, that the baby was developing normally. There was nothing to indicate that she’d lose the baby this time. Still, Hoon didn’t want her putting extra stress on herself that she didn’t need. She worked out with him in the morning now, doing a light work out to keep herself in shape. The doctor encouraged her to continue, so Hoon was more than happy to act as a personal trainer.

He was also glad at the mostly positive response the fans had given over the announcement. They were all happy for him and Serin. A year ago, he couldn’t have imagined them supporting his marriage, but now they were sending in their congratulations. He’d seen a few speculating over whether he’d quit the group, but he assured them that they had nothing to fear. He was going to stay with U-KISS forever.

There were other things he was concerned over regarding her pregnancy though. She was craving weird foods now. Potato chips, something he’d never really seen her eat before, were now a necessity. And she could barely handle the smell of kimchi, which didn’t exactly make him happy, but he just settled with eating it away from home.

The other thing that he worried over was her work schedule. She hadn’t gone on any business trips recently, but he didn’t think she should go anywhere while pregnant. He had told her as such, to which she had said, “If I have to go, I will. It’ll be fine. Stop worrying so much.” That, of course, hadn’t stopped him from worrying.

He was calling Hyunsu, trying to talk to Serin’s father about his concerns over her work schedule. He was surprised when Hyunsu answered his call, as he’d been expecting him to be too busy to talk to him immediately.

“Ah Hoonmin-ssi,” his father-in-law started. “How are you?”

“I’m doing well. I was hoping to talk to you about Serin.”

“What about her? Is something the matter?”

“Nothing is the matter,” Hoon explained. “I’m just worried that she might be pushing herself too hard. I’m also worried about her going overseas alone on any business trips.”

“Well,” Hyunsu said on the end of the line, “you don’t have to worry about her traveling. I won’t be sending her anywhere. I’ve got Hyunsaeng traveling for me now, and I’m looking to find a suitable replacement for her position in the mean time. I’m worried about her too and want to have her nearby. Plus, she’ll be on maternity leave for a while after the baby is born. I need someone in that position.”

Hoon breathed a sigh of relief. Serin might be willing to keep working through everything, but he was glad her father was erring on the side of caution. “Thank you for watching out for her.”

“It’s no problem. I know how she throws herself into work. I don’t plan on having her stay in the liaison position. Once your child is born, she’ll have to take care of it. You won’t be around to help much. I know she won’t quit here because that’s just the way that she is, but I won’t send her overseas and leave your mom or my daughter-in-law stuck with babysitting. I’ll keep Serin nearby. Don’t worry too much.”

“Thank you, abba-nim,” Hoon said sincerely.

“We’re all watching out for her, Hoonmin. No need to meddle too much. She’s taking every precaution she can, I’m sure.”

--

More than halfway through, and Serin was starting to feel a bit irritated at Hoon. His attention and care towards her had been endearing at first. Now it was starting to rub her the wrong way. He had gotten them a bicycle machine so she could safely do non-impact cardio, and he was checking to see how she was doing every time he finished a rep. She caught his eyes and stuck her tongue out at him. “I’m doing fine. Stop that.”

He just laughed and continued his workout. “I’m not really checking to make sure you’re okay,” he said, pausing with the barbell extended above him. “Just seeing you with our baby growing inside of you is so precious and meaningful to me.”

She rolled her eyes at him. “Just concentrate on what you’re doing,” she complained. He continued to cast glances in her direction, and out of frustration, she stopped, climbed off the bike, and sat down on the floor to stretch a bit.

“What’s up?” he asked her.

“You’re irritating me,” she replied and then felt a fluttering in her abdomen. “Ah, the baby moved.”

“Really?” he asked, racking his weights and walking over to her to squat in front of her.

She nodded. “I can feel her moving.”

“Her?” Hoon asked. “Did you find out the baby’s gender already?”

“Well, no,” Serin admitted. “I didn’t think I should unless you wanted to know too. I just am hoping for a girl.”

“I think a surprise will be best,” Hoon said after a bit of consideration. “We’ll wait to find out together.”

“Okay,” Serin agreed with a smile. “When will you be home tonight?”

He shrugged, standing up and offering her his hand to help her off the ground. She took it, and he pulled her up. “When do I ever know?” he asked, joking.

--

The weather was finally getting warm, and Serin had reached the beginning of her third trimester safely. “It’s so hot,” she complained as she walked to her car one late May afternoon. Jaehyun was trailing behind her, amused at her complaints.

“We could wait until it’s even hotter to go shopping,” he suggested. “It’s not going to cool down any time soon. And the stores you need to go to aren’t going to be open at night.”

“Why did I even invite you?” she griped. “If all you’re going to do is give me attitude, you can stay here.”

“Oh no,” he said. “I won’t be here without you when Hoonmin gets back. I’d like to stay alive, if at all possible.”

“You’d be fine. He won't be home early, and I won’t be carrying anything heavy myself. I’m really only planning on picking out what I want and not actually buying anything.” She was going with her younger brother to pick out furniture for the baby’s room. She had only really mentioned it to Hoon as a casual thing. She was just going to go look at the options and see what she liked the most, but he had stressed that she couldn’t go by herself. He had proceeded to call everyone he could think of who might be willing and free to go with her. Jungsook and Hoonbi had made plans with each other. Hyunsaeng had also been busy when she wanted to go. She had, exasperatedly called Yoobin, her oldest brother’s wife, and Jaehyun. Yoobin had declined, though Serin hadn’t really expected her aloof sister-in-law to want to go with her. Jaehyun had excitedly agreed, especially after Serin had explained the situation to him and promised to buy him samgyupsal and soju.

“No,” Jaehyun insisted. “I won't risk it. Hoonmin is terrifying when he’s mad. He’d never forgive me.”

She shook her head, and gestured to her car. “Let’s go,” she said.

“I’ll drive,” he offered.

“Get in the passenger’s seat,” she said threateningly. “I’m pregnant. Not disabled.”

The two made their way to the store, bantering back and forth. She always enjoyed her younger, chattier brother’s company. Seunghyun had always been kind of removed, more of a distant overseer. Hyunsaeng was her warrior, who’d fight for her and protect her. But Jaehyun was the one she most relied on. She’d ask him for favors and for his opinions. He was more of her friend than the other two.

Walking around the store, Jaehyun pointed out things he thought would come in handy. A high chair, a crib, and a bassinet. She knew she’d have room for the boxes in her car, and if Jaehyun was around, she could get his help in putting them together. She made her purchases, and the staff at the store helped her get it into her car.

“Mind if we go look at some clothes?” she asked Jaehyun then. “I could use some more maternity clothing.”

“Sure. I wanted a few things for myself, as well.”

“Sounds like a plan. We’ll get dinner afterwards, and then head home. I’ll bring home extra for Hoonie. I’m sure he’d like some samgyupsal.”

“He’d probably like some soju too,” Jaehyun quipped.

She laughed, glad to spend the day with her brother even though she was only with him because Hoon didn’t think she should ever be any where by herself.

--

Serin felt heavy and hot. Any more that was about the only thing she felt. Seven months in, and the June air was hot. She knew it was only going to get worse as the summer heated up, and she got heavier. She was moody, both from her pregnancy and the hot temperatures, and it didn’t help that Hoon was pressing on her every nerve. Insisting she be accompanied everywhere she went. He was ignoring his own workouts to focus on helping her with hers. Cooking her breakfast and asking her every evening what she’d eaten throughout the day. It was irritating, but she tried to remember that it was out of love that he was doing it. It was just hard to do so.

He was off that morning, spending time with her, and she sat on the couch watching TV after eating the breakfast he’d made her. It was a weekend, and she had off, but he was going to have to go in at noon to practice. The Japanese tour was approaching, and they were feverishly preparing for it. She wasn’t exactly sure why they’d gotten the morning off, but she wasn’t exactly glad for it. She would be happy when they left, and she finally got her space back. She loved him, but he was getting overbearing and hard to deal with.

“Do you need me to help clean anything up?” he asked. “Vacuum? Hang out clothes? Anything. You can take a break.”

“Hoonie, it’s fine. I can take care of it once you leave.”

“I don’t want to make you do the housework all on your own. The baby is so big now. Your belly gets in your way.”

“I can manage,” she told him. “Your mom will be over this afternoon to help me out. I’m fine. Just come sit down and relax a bit. You don’t need extra work on top of your preparations for the tour.”

He didn’t though. He was washing the dishes he’d used and wiping off the counter. “Come here and sit down with me,” she commanded, annoyed at him for not listening to her.

“Just give me a second,” he said.

She frowned and turned away from him, focusing back on the TV. After a bit, he did come down and sit beside her. He noticed her mood immediately though. “What’s wrong?” he asked, concerned.

“Nothing.”

“You’re giving me the cold shoulder. You’re upset with me. Just tell me what’s wrong.”

“You don’t need to worry about me so much,” she said. “I love you, and I appreciate your concern, I really do, but you’re driving me crazy.”

He pondered for a second, having obviously been unaware that his actions had been bothering her. “What do you want me to do?’

“Just relax a little. You don’t have to worry so much now. The baby is healthy. The doctor isn’t worried at all. I just want some space.”

“Okay,” he said, still thinking about her request. “I’ll try to stop driving you crazy.”

“I’d appreciate it.”

The two sat comfortably on the couch then, Serin resting her head on his shoulder, but also trying to stay apart from him. It was too hot to really want to cuddle close. “Baby’s kicking,” she said.

He looked down at her pregnant stomach, reaching his hand out to feel for the kicks she was talking about. It was rare that he was with her and awake to feel the baby moving, but the few times he had felt their child move, it had seemed like such a miracle. He smiled each time he felt the baby moving within her.

It seemed like only minutes, but time had passed quickly, and Hoon regretfully stood up and got ready to leave for practice. She kissed him goodbye, in a decidedly better mood than she had been earlier, and got to work on the chores, doing what she could while waiting for Jungsook to come lend her a hand.