Noodles & runaway

50 ways to die
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Take every chance, drop every fear.

 

 

School was finally over, and Sooyoung was certainly exhausted by everything which was happening around her. She never knew that her first day at school would be this hetic.

"Oh, welcome home, Ms. Choi. Did you have a good day at school?" One of the head maids bowed respectfully at her. Sooyoung could only return a curt nod, and replied, "Well, I had horrible day at school, tell the other maids not to treat Luhan like a trash, especially her. I treat him as my brother, so he is part of this mansion. So, treat him like how you treat my workaholic brother." Sooyoung held up her index finger, and pointed at the maid—the one who treated Luhan as if he was a germ— and puffed out her cheeks.

"I will be in my room to sleep, so don't disturb unless it's really necessary." Sooyoung threw her bag on the sofa. She didn't care if her designer bag get scratched, or spoiled. It wasn't that she was spoilt by her wealthy family, it was just that she was so sick of money that she loathed it so much. She didn't care if money was what keeping her alive and breathing on this earth, because she knew money is also the reason why humans are slowly rotting to the core.

 


Sooyoung lied about her sleeping, in fact she couldn't close her eyes at all. Her mind was too occupied with something—no, rather someone— that she kept tossing and turning on her bed. She didn't bother whether there will be ceases on her bed or whatsoever because she knew her maids would help her clean up.

Knock! Knock!

The sounds of someone knocking on her bedroom door surprised her. Sooyoung knew that no maids dared to go against her rule, because all of them were scared of them. And that was exactly what Sooyoung wanted. Hissing under her breath in annoyance, she cupped her hands over her ears, and roared, "Didn't I tell you guys I am sleeping! Go away, or I'll fire you in instance!"

There was only a soft chuckle which came from the other side. "I don't know you can fire your own mother."

Sooyoung jerked upright, and sat on her bed. She stared at the door, not wanting to believe that her birth mother, whom she had not seen for so long, was just standing behind those walls.

"Alright. Come in, the door is not locked anyway." Sooyoung heaved a little, and made herself comfortable by cocooning herself with the thick blankets.

The door creaked open, and there came into a view was a petite woman, a grey cardigan hanging lowly from her shoulder. There were obvious eye-bags under her eyes, and her slight curly hair was messily tied up into a bun. Sooyoung noticed how her face shrunk, as her skin sank deeply. It was like her own mother was a living skeleton. Or was it because it had been so long ever since she had last seen her mother.

"Mother, is there a problem?" Sooyoung asked, her face showed no expression. "My grades are perfectly fine, I don't know what's there for you to come into my room."

Mrs.Choi chuckled, and shook her head. She closed the door behind her, and heaved a little sigh. "Can't I have my own little bonding section with my own daughter?"

Sooyoung snorted, and her lips curled into a twisted smirk. "Most of the time you come into my room, is mostly telling me to improve on my grade—no, you always tell me to be perfect. Or if not, it's always scolding about how I should leave Luhan." She paused, and closed her eyes. "Just for the sake of the Choi's reputation."

"That's just for your own good! Why can't you understand that everything what I am doing is for your own sake?" Mrs.Choi sighed, and massaged her forehead which lined with many ceases.

"He is my friend! I don't judge my friends based on their family background. What I'm looking for is true friends that stay by your side no matter what!" Sooyoung yelled, and she felt something sinister, a feeling that wrenched your heart mercilessly. The kind of feelings that made her feel like blaming everything on the world, and just feel like drowning herself in alcohol like what every rotten adults do.

"If your perception is like that, don't you know many people can take advantage of it? What if that Luhan of yours is just plainly aiming for your fortune? Are you a mind-reader that you can read what he is thinking?" Mrs. Choi curled up her fists, and her nostrils flared with anger. "I repeat myself—every relationship built in this rotten piece of earth is—with layers of lies. You are not a child anymore, you should know this world that you used to know as a kid isn't the same anymore. Everyone's eyes set on one thing—money. Everyone is greedy, don't expect anything."

Sooyoung felt like something kicked her from inside again. She tried so hard to practice everyday in front of the mirror to control her emotions; yet she felt like everything that she had prepared for came crumbling down when a single strand of tear rolled down her cheeks.

"Just because dad is with another woman behind your back, that doesn't mean that Luhan is like that. Luhan is not dad! Luhan—," Sooyoung hiccuped, and wiped away her tears with the back of her hand. "Luhan will stay beside me—no matter what happens, he won't ever dare to hurt me. He isn't like dad who used you, mom."

"You don't know anything about your dad. Don't ever mention anything about this to your dad—in front of me or him. Ever again." Mrs. Choi said, her brows furrowed, as they knotted together into a straight line.

"I won't unless you mention about Luhan again." Sooyoung said, her voice merely audible.

"Anyway, the reason why I came into your room is because I have something to tell you. We are going to a business meeting and it's pretty important, since every companies would be there. And I want you to attend to represent your brother since he is preparing for his upcoming big project." Her mother softly smiled, and Choi Sooyoung couldn't help but scoffed. It was always the idea of her mother that whenever she showed Sooyoung her weak side, the girl would accept her offer no matter what.

But in fact, what her mom didn't know was that—her daughter saw through her smile. The smile that said if you don't accept the offer, no one can guarantee what would possibly happen to Luhan. It was like a bet, or you could say—a game of chess.

And her mother always win.

"Alright mother, I'll be preparing myself soon. Is that what you want?" Sooyoung said, and got up from her bed. "I will be downstairs in two hours time." She said. "And I will assure you I'll look the best as I can."

As a reply, what Sooyoung got back was a victory smirk of her mother and a soft whisper of "See you soon."

Sooyoung nodded her head, and drew the curtains closed.

 

Sooyoung stood there awkwardly, not knowing whether to smile or keep her poker face. She knew she had to at least force a smile, but seeing the same faces of the schoolmates she had just met—in front of her—she doubt whether smiling would be a good choice. Wouldn't it make her a fake just like others?

She wandered if fate was playing with her, when she saw Bae sashaying down the road, her hand looped around her father. Unlike the poisonous facade of Bae, her father wore a tired yet warm smile. Ironic.

"Oh my! Mrs. Byun!" Mrs. Choi gasped, feigning her surprise. Sooyoung knew this because she was so certain that her mother hired someone to check up on every guests that were invited. Typical.

"Mrs. Choi!" A woman with a small frame, a red dress that reached down to her knee, and a black scarf was draped around her shoulders.

"Oh, is that your son? Baekhyun?" Mrs. Choi giggled. Sooyoung felt her eyes widen in surprise, it couldn't be that it was the same boy from the morning. It couldn't be that—her savior was from one of these corrupted companies too.

Sooyoung turned her back, and what came into her vision was an equally

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter