Step Three ; Possessive

This Boy

“Good morning Youngjae!”

Youngjae already get used with this kind of greeting. He doesn’t almost get jumped from his seat like usual. His eyes quickly captured the sight of Daehyun sits next to him and grinning.

“Good morning Daehyun.”

Youngjae smiles back at the boy. This is already being their habit since months ago. Thanks to Daehyun, Youngjae wasn’t that scared anymore to make friend or talking. He also starts to talk a bit with the others.

Yes, Youngjae starts to talk with the others as well. Youngjae should admit that this was the sensation he has been searching and found. He likes to talk with anyone without any doubt and scare. He likes when some of his classmates are actually coming to him when they don’t understand something about lesson.

Youngjae also starts to hanging out. Do you even know how happy Youngjae’s mother and father when Youngjae asked them that he wants to hang out with some friends? Well, they’re happy. Because, It’s almost years Youngjae closed himself from the others.

People that Youngjae currently like to hang out with are Daehyun, obviously, and some of Daehyun’s friends, which are Yongguk, Himchan, Jongup, and Junhong.

Beside Daehyun, Youngjae knows Himchan well also. They do go well with each other since they have almost same hobbies. Like, how both of them like reading, video games, and sometime, cooking. Himchan also said that Youngjae is the only person who knows Himchan likes to cook and so does Himchan.

“You’re doing good these days, huh?”

Daehyun smiles at the boy besides him while Youngjae answers with a simple nod, along with a slight smile. Daehyun actually is happy, knowing that the latter is starting to talk with the others. He’s happy to see nobody talks behind Youngjae about if he was mute or something.

“Do you want to hang out this weekend? There are good movies at cinema.”

Daehyun grinned at Youngjae. He was sure that Youngjae will say yes. Because, Youngjae’s parent already know Daehyun and they’re so happy because Daehyun managed to make Youngjae walks out from his cage. And plus, Daehyun knows Youngjae likes to watch movie.

Youngjae thinks for awhile. He actually wants to say yes but something crosses over his mind. He tries to remember why he doubts himself to just say yes right away. He thinks, and then blushes slightly at the thought that Himchan asked him to come over this weekend to his house and cook together.

All of you know valentine is near and Youngjae planned to make a thank-you chocolate for Daehyun since Daehyun was really a good friend toward Youngjae.

“I don’t think I can…”

Youngjae answered lowly. He doesn’t want to disappoint Daehyun because he knows how excited Daehyun is whenever the latter asked Youngjae to hang out somewhere.

Daehyun frowns slightly. The fact that Youngjae was rejecting and blushing because another reason make Daehyun feels a bit unhappy.

“Oh well? How rare. Why is that?”

Daehyun’s tone changed and Youngjae somehow get scared. Youngjae was a bit sensitive in his heart so he can easily guesses that Daehyun was unhappy at the face he rejected Daehyun’s invitation to hang out this weekend.

Youngjae actually wants to come with Daehyun. Youngjae should admit that he likes to hang out with Daehyun only more than with the others. Because, He always feel comfortable whenever go with Daehyun.

But, he already promised to Himchan that he will teach Himchan how to make delicious chocolate. He saw those sparks on Himchan’s eyes and he can’t suddenly say he can’t go to Himchan’s house because of Daehyun.

Back then, Youngjae still remember Himchan’s pleading eyes when he said he wants to give Yongguk homemade chocolate but he can’t make good chocolate.

“Please, Youngjae! Come over and teach me how to cook them. You know, next valentine is my first with Yongguk so I want it to be special!”

Youngjae sighs as his mind flies back to how Himchan plead. He looks down, hiding his face when blush is creeping on his cheeks.

“And based from your story to me, Daehyun was already being a very good friend! Why don’t you make him a thank-you chocolate? He likes to eat and I promise he’ll like it!”

Sighing, Youngjae shakes his head lightly and looks back at Daehyun, making I-am-sorry look to him with a slight frown as well.

“I’ll go to Himchan’s house this weekend.”

“…Oh.”

 

 

Since that day, Daehyun’s behavior becomes a bit strange. They still sit next to each other but Daehyun rarely talks to Youngjae in the first place.

When they’re eating lunch together at cafeteria with the others (Yongguk, Himchan, Zelo, & Jongup), Daehyun often gets a seat beside Yongguk or Jongup instead of Youngjae while Youngjae get to sit beside Himchan.

There was a day when Youngjae tried to sit beside Daehyun while lunch, but it eventually becomes awkward. Youngjae finally managed to talk with Daehyun at the first place. But, Daehyun looks a bit uncomfortable and it makes them become awkward.

Is something happening to Daehyun? Is he avoiding me? Aren’t we friend?

Youngjae becomes scared with his own thought. He thinks that Daehyun is getting bored with him so Daehyun decides to leave Youngjae and Youngjae will become all alone again.

Friend comes and goes and Youngjae has no right to keep Daehyun always with him. It’s Daehyun’s decision if he wants to get rid of Youngjae or anything.

Youngjae frowns. He still has Himchan and Junhong but somehow Daehyun was different. Daehyun was the first person since years that made Youngjae wants to make friend again.

He throws glance at Daehyun. Daehyun was talking with someone else. Not that Youngjae mind if Daehyun wants to talk with someone else beside him. It was just, they didn’t talk yet today—nor even simple greeting since Youngjae was coming pretty late. Lucky him seat beside Daehyun was still empty.

This lunch break, Youngjae decides to not go with the others but burying himself at library with books. As always, when he’s stressed, book is always being good friend of him.

He takes one of cooking books. He searches some reference about what to cook with Himchan this weekend. Himchan said he wants to give Yongguk something special so Youngjae thinks Himchan should make a special chocolate instead of normal one.

But I don’t even know what kind of chocolate that Yongguk likes!

Youngjae scoffs at himself. How could he search chocolate recipes for Himchan meanwhile he doesn’t even know what kind of chocolate that Yongguk likes? How if Youngjae decides to make almond chocolate and then he knows that Yongguk doesn’t like almond?

Oh well, I guess I should search for Himchan.

Youngjae sighs. He puts the book into its place before walks out toward the cafeteria, searching for the Himchan boy.

As expected, Himchan and the others are eating at cafeteria—at the usual seat also. Youngjae quickly goes toward Himchan and pats his shoulder few times before whisper something.

“I was searching recipe for this weekend. But, I don’t know what kind of chocolate that Yongguk likes. How could I choose the recipe?”

Youngjae knows well the other four are looking suspiciously at both of them. And Daehyun’s pair of eyes is the pair that Youngjae really wants to avoid to look directly at.

Himchan quickly stands up. He bids goodbye to the other and saying he has something to talk with Youngjae before both of them walk back to the library, searching for good recipe.

 

February 14 comes like a blink of eye. Today, both Youngjae and Himchan are bringing their chocolates inside their backpack.

Youngjae sighs. He actually doesn’t sure if he should give this thank-you chocolate for Daehyun since Daehyun is avoiding him this week. He’s afraid if Daehyun doesn’t even bother himself to talk to Youngjae even awhile.

Youngjae tells this to Himchan yesterday. He told Himchan that he was afraid Daehyun might not like it or even worse, he doesn’t want to talk with Youngjae again.

There was Himchan patting his shoulder, and the older said that Youngjae can give the chocolate both for apologizing and thanking Daehyun.

Youngjae mentally nods at himself as he remembers what Himchan told him last weekend. He already has the chocolate inside his bag and he just has to wait for Daehyun to comes and give the chocolate plus apologizing.

Daehyun usually comes early. But today, even after the bell rings, Daehyun doesn’t come yet. Youngjae starts to get worried.

He’s not worrying that the chocolate will become waste. No, not at all. He can make it every time he wants. He was just, worried.

 

As expected, Daehyun doesn’t come to school today.

 

It was lunch break but Youngjae chooses to just sit on his seat. Not even moving an inch from it. Jongup and Junhong was trying to ask Youngjae to just join them even there’s no Daehyun around.

Youngjae just keep shaking his head, saying that he doesn’t in the mood on eating. Be the worst liar he is, Jongup and Junhong knows the truth instantly but eventually just let Youngjae be. They don’t want to push Youngjae, anyway.

Youngjae sighs when he looks at a box of chocolate he makes for thanking and apologizing to Daehyun. Actually, Youngjae doesn’t know if Daehyun is mad at him or such. Youngjae doesn’t even know what did he do wrong.

Maybe I unconsciously do something wrong toward him.

Youngjae mentally nods again at his thought. He then decides to just visit Daehyun’s home after classes are over. Thanks to Himchan, he now knows quite a lot about the other boy.

 

The bell finally rings, signing all classes are over and Youngjae can go home.

 

He actually planned to go to Himchan’s class after classes over to ask if he was success but Youngjae put that after Daehyun. He should see Daehyun first and at least, knowing if he’s okay or not.

Youngjae stops in front of a quite big home. He gulps and nervously knocks the door. He hopes that he wasn’t knocking the wrong house.

“Who is… ah.”

Daehyun’s eyes widened a bit when he sees Youngjae actually stands in front of the door. He rubs his eyes few time and blinks, the sight is still Youngjae.

“I asked Himchan where your house is.”

Youngjae quickly explained, not wanting Daehyun thinks that Youngjae is such a creeper. Because basically, Daehyun never told Youngjae where is his home.

“Well? Get in.”

Daehyun lets Youngjae get in and Youngjae did as told. His eyes are wandering around before he finally sits down on a sofa comfortably, and Daehyun served a glass of coffee.

“What brings you here?”

Youngjae looks down. The tone that Daehyun use isn’t the tone that he usually uses. It sounds like he’s not comfortable with Youngjae around.

“I was… worried…”

“Heh,” Daehyun rolled his eyes. “I thought your best friend was Himchan and I’m nothing for you to worry about.”

“What...”

“It’s right, isn’t it? I mean, you might choose Himchan after me because well, he’s kind of fun person. Not like me.”

“Dae…”

“And I know why you did choose to come over Himchan’s house last weekend instead of go with me. I think you feel more comfortable with him.”

“Daehyun, wait, I…”

“You don’t have to tell me. I know right it’s fun to play with someone like Himchan. He’s kind and can bring good mood while I’m just an awkward person and—”

“Daehyun!” Youngjae almost shouted when he called Daehyun’s name, which makes Daehyun’s eyes widened in surprise of fact that Youngjae can shout that loud. “I came to Himchan’s house because I already promised to him to help him make chocolate for Yongguk, okay? And for your information, I actually wanted to go with you but I can’t because I already promised to Himchan!”

Youngjae doesn’t get it at all. Why does Daehyun suddenly act possessive like this while just a day before he ignores Youngjae like he was nothing?

“And, for… for… for apologizing I didn’t go with you last weekend I made you a chocolate because Himchan said you might like it.” Youngjae said, he quickly opens his backpack and put a box of chocolate on the coffee table. “You were avoiding me too last week! Do you know I always wonder why in the hell you avoid me like that?! You know it’s hurt because I actually think we’re friend and you just walk away like that!”

Daehyun looks at Youngjae dumbfounded. He doesn’t expect that Youngjae feels pissed off because Daehyun avoids him last week.

“I’m sorry.” Daehyun looked down. “Actually, I… I was jealous. You seem more comfortable with Himchan and the others while I’m your… how to say it… first friend? I made you not afraid anymore to make friend and I feel like you’re going to leave me…”

Youngjae sighs and the blunt confession. It was exactly same feeling he feels toward Jaebum when they were still best friend.

“Idiot. I do think that way too sometime. Just for your information, I actually feel more comfortable with you than the other.”

Daehyun smiles at Youngjae afterwards, then releases a light chuckle.

“Why are you laughing?” Youngjae raised an eyebrow.

“Well? Don’t you find it funny because we’re arguing just because of…this?”

Youngjae thinks for awhile before releases a light chuckle as well.

 

Youngjae feels happy today. He doesn’t exactly know why, but then, he thinks that Daehyun is just the same with him, and he feels happier whenever think about that.