Step Two ; Friendship

This Boy

“Good morning.”

This time was just like another time. Youngjae arrived first at the school and one by one of his classmates are coming. He also nearly jumped in surprise when he hears someone was coming and greeting—just like always.

Something was going wrong today. Noisy people are always locating themselves at the back so they can easily chat with each other while teachers are teaching. And people also always trying to sit as far as possible from Youngjae.

It’s not like Youngjae doesn’t know why this is happening. He knows right his classmates are just thinking he was weird because he is… not talking. They think Youngjae is mute and they avoid Youngjae as if Youngjae wasn’t existed in the class socially.

It’s not their fault somehow, seats near Youngjae always be people’s last choice. Youngjae doesn’t talk and people next to him will instantly get bored. They might be thanked school to give their class new chairs and tables because there were some new students. So, seat next to Youngjae always empty these days.

But today, Youngjae was wondering if something was going wrong in Daehyun’s head or this guy was just really taking a seat next to Youngjae. The most avoided seat in the class—or maybe the most avoided seat in whole world.

It’s not like it bothers Youngjae. Not at all. He doesn’t mind if someone was actually going to sit beside him. They’re coming to school to study, not to talking nonsense anyway. Youngjae was just afraid if Daehyun might mind it since Youngjae doesn’t talk.

Maybe Daehyun would think Youngjae is going to talk with him because three days ago Youngjae helps Daehyun on his project?

Shrugging that off, Youngjae ignores Daehyun and looks back at his unfinished novel. It’s not like he should answer Daehyun’s greeting. No one ever asked Youngjae to answer greeting or talk to them.

“Don’t you hear I was talking to you?”

A voice of Daehyun nearly makes Youngjae jumped again from his seat. He nervously looks at the side. It was just seconds ago he thought about no one ever asked him to talk to them—and now, was Daehyun asking him to talk?

Youngjae can only nod slightly, signing that he was hearing what Daehyun said. He wants to say that he thinks it’s unnecessary to reply but then he just keeps it himself.

“If you hear me, why don’t you reply me?”

“I-I…” Youngjae nervously scratched his head. Yes, he was extremely nervous. He rarely talks, for god sake! And now, someone was asking why Youngjae doesn’t reply him as if Daehyun hopes that Youngjae would talk to him. Deep inside, Youngjae actually feels a bit… happy? Because someone was actually talk to him and say that he wants Youngjae to reply. “I’m sorry.” Youngjae managed to mutter.

Youngjae hears a slight sigh. Now, Youngjae wonders why Daehyun is sighing. Is that really matter to Daehyun? Does Daehyun really want to talk with Youngjae are something? He mentally shakes his head. There’s never anyone had ever really wants to talk with him and it’s kind of impossible.

Moreover, Daehyun is one of those noisy people that will never make friend with Youngjae who is always quiet and close himself. Youngjae mentally nods at his thought now. Maybe Daehyun really tries to talk to him before, but knowing Youngjae ignores him—he stops trying and thing will back to normal again.

“Hey, you don’t need to say sorry. I mean, I just want to talk with you and you don’t have to feel bad because of not replying… for now.” Daehyun looked right at Youngjae.

Now, Youngjae really does widen his eyes. He just purely shocked at the fact someone was really wanted to talk with Youngjae.

“I-I’m k-kind of awkward… y-you know…” Youngjae managed to say audible mumble this time. It was true. He was awkward and all.

Daehyun grins. Youngjae doesn’t know what does Daehyun means with that grin. Youngjae has a simple conclusion that someone who smiling is happy so Youngjae thinks why Daehyun is happy because he said he is kind of awkward?

“It’s alright! At least you want to talk to me.”

 

Youngjae actually smiles this time. He can’t believe that someone wants to talk with him, even though he was an awkward person.

 

After that talking incident, Daehyun almost always get a seat beside Youngjae and a month already passed. Now, Youngjae already get a bit used to talk to Daehyun. Only to Daehyun.

“Morning, Youngjae.”

“Morning too, Daehyun.”

Has always be their habit to greet each other like that. Youngjae feels happy he has someone to talk with. He doesn’t know talking with someone can make him this happy.

He is always scared to talk with someone. For your knowledge, Youngjae is actually a very protective person. Once he knows someone well, he won’t let anything bad happens to that person. He doesn’t want to see that person is in danger or such bad things.

That protective side of his was making his one and only best friend walked away years ago. He was still in fifth grade at elementary school. He already be friend with someone who named Jaebum for almost three years.

Youngjae likes Jaebum as friend so much. Jaebum is kind and never mind of Youngjae’s shy personality. He never minds about how Youngjae loves books and games. He never minds how annoying Youngjae when he was mad.

The friendship was great, until Youngjae starts to see Jaebum as his best friend. As what I said earlier, Youngjae will become so protective when it comes to his close persons. Youngjae starts to be somehow more caring toward Jaebum and sometime, nagging him for came home too late.

His protective side sometime turns into kind of possessive. He doesn’t like it if Jaebum plays with someone else because he thinks Jaebum was his best friend—which means, Jaebum should play with him and things like that.

Eventually, Jaebum wants to be… well… free and left Youngjae dumbfounded with that one sentence which always crossing over Youngjae’s head.

‘I’m not your best friend.

Youngjae shakes his tears away. Thing that reminds him about his so-called best friend always manage to bring out Youngjae’s emotional side. He doesn’t like how his heart clenched every time he remembers it was only him who looks at Jaebum as a best friend while the other looks at Youngjae like nothing than friend.

From that time, Youngjae always scared to make friend. He’s scared if he’s being protective or possessive over his friend. He doesn’t want people to leave him again. He doesn’t want to see people he sees as best friend leaves him one by one like nothing happens.

Youngjae glances at Daehyun who is talking with someone else right now. Does Daehyun really mean it when he said he wants to talk with Youngjae? That he wants to be friend with Youngjae? Daehyun can easily leave. Youngjae thought that way. There won’t be such a person who will stick around with him.

Everyone knows Youngjae is an awkward person and awkwardness turn into Youngjae is a boring person. There won’t be someone who will stick around with him like what I told you before. But why, why Daehyun doesn’t leave?

Does he really want to… no.

Youngjae shakes his head again, throwing the thought as far as possible from his reach. He can’t believe he actually thought that Daehyun might want to be his friend.

 

The bell is ringing when Youngjae decides to go to library and calm himself. He has been thinking so many things that he couldn’t believe he brings this topic up again.

He sighs as he looks at the bookshelf. Book always managed to calm Youngjae down. Video games also is a good friend when Youngjae is stressed. But, well, he doesn’t need to think much when reading book anyway.

Youngjae never really matters if he doesn’t have any friend but then Daehyun comes, talking with Youngjae as if they already knew each other since forever.

It can’t be considered as friend yet… we’re just…talking.

“Hey.”

Youngjae snapped his head to the voice direction. His eyes widening a bit at a sight of Jung Daehyun is standing next to his table. The bell already rang and Jung Daehyun should go home or having soccer practice as usual.

Daehyun takes a seat next to Youngjae while Youngjae still look at Daehyun blankly. Wondering why would the other come at such situation.

“You’re being so weird these days.” Daehyun frowned. “I’m trying to talk to you so many times but you ignore me. Did I do something wrong to you?”

Youngjae shakes his head slowly. Daehyun didn’t do anything but trying to talk with him. Daehyun wasn’t doing anything wrong. He mutters a barely audible you’re not doing anything wrong.

“Then, why?” Daehyun asked. His voice sounded gloomy.

Please, not that kind of tone… “Nothing happened.”

“Don’t lie!”

How does he know I’m lying? “I’m not lying.”

“You are!”

I think I can’t lie to him… “I said I’m not lying.”

“Then why are you crying?!”

Crap. Youngjae notices his tears almost fall across his cheeks, he quickly wipes it dry and hides his face from Daehyun. “I’m not… crying…”

“Something must be happened to you. Are you okay?”

I’m not okay… “I’m always okay.”

“Why don’t you tell the truth to me?”

I’m scared you might leave me when I finally see you as a friend. “I’m telling the truth, I’m okay.”

“Youngjae, you know you can share everything to me!” Daehyun said, holding both of Youngjae’s shoulder.

Don’t be so kind… I might get this wrong… “Daehyun, you don’t need to…”

“I need to! We’re friend, aren’t we?” Daehyun asked with a soft smile.

 

For the first time since years, he actually has someone who’s willing to lend a shoulder when he’s crying.


A/N: still eh. please leave comments ;; tell me how is it going..