Chapter 6

One Minute Back

Small hands wave in front of his gaze. Yet they didn't do anything to help his mood. His eyes were closed tightly. A feeling of pure disappointment crawling through his body. Something he wasn't so unaccustomed to.

"Hyung! Hyung!"

Minho's focus goes back to the small hands in front of him. "Xing?"

The boy places his palms on Minho's knees "Hyung, can I play in the park?"

The words that tumble from the smaller’s lips is still foreign to Minho’s ears. Yet the finger pointing to the park a few feet away from them, answers his question. He just nods blankly as the boy wraps his small fingers around Minho’s larger ones…

 

 

Minho swallows. A breath too large to fill his lungs. His feet hesitate at the front door. He can vaguely feel the pull of a small hand against his coat. It’s not until the bundle in his arms begins to move that he realizes why he came in the first place.

He glances down at the boy in his arms, his hoodie warming the boy’s body. The boys softly snoring form resting in his embrace. Small hands unconsciously curling and uncurling every so often.

When Minho comes walking through the door though, his eyes can’t help but widen and his heart suddenly drop. “Jjong?”

A platinum haired man raises his gaze as Minho walks through the doors. “Can I help…you?”

A clatter can be heard as the dark haired man drops a bottle. A bottle? Minho blinks twice before shaking his head and moving toward the desk.

The platinum haired man’s eyes widen when he realizes who’s in front of him.

 “What are you doing here?” Minho can’t help but lose his composure. Brows furrowed in confusion as his grip tightens around the bundle in his arms.

“What do you mean, what am I doing here?” the light haired man crosses his arms. “I work here.”

The bundle in his arms starts to move again. Effectively grabbing Jonghyun’s attention, and redirecting it from Minho to Xing. Before the older gets too close though, Minho steps back.

“What? You don’t trust me now?” Jonghyun steps closer “Don’t you remember?”

Minho takes another step back, a whimper escaping from the bundle in his arms. “Remember what?”

“Everything.” Another step forward. “Everything that happen to you.” Seeing the expression on the younger’s face, Jonghyun freezes in his spot. His eyes growing dark “So you don’t remember…”

Minho frowns but stays in his spot “What am I supposed to remember?”

“The fact that you’re asking me what you’re supposed to remember, is how I know that you haven’t gotten fixed.”

“What are you—”

“Minho, I haven’t talked to you in two years.” The older turns away from him “The only way I even knew you were alive was because of Yoogeun.”

“What are you—”

Jonghyun sighs “After you started working with my dad, everything was fine. Everything was finally starting to settle down. But then you had to travel to America for a business deal… and that was the last that I heard from you…” The older frowns “At least, from you personally…”

Minho can’t truly comprehend what the older is telling him. They haven’t spoken in years?

“Is this a joke?!” The toddler in his arms start to whimper at the raise of his voice “Are you serious Jjong? We just talked this past summer!”

Jonghyun just shakes his head “See, you don’t remember.”

 

 

Minho struggles to keep his thoughts under control. His fingers clutching the benches armrest. Was what Jonghyun said really true? That they haven’t talked in two years? Maybe more? But why was it that Minho couldn’t remember? And why was it that the elder was so reluctant to tell him?

Taking another deep breath just makes the feeling worse. Minho’s head keeps pounding and his eyes keep blurring in and out. It wasn’t until he heard a yell, that he was awakened from his thoughts.

His heart stops as he rises to his feet. Eyes quickly searching the playground for small tuffs of brown locks and a dimpled smile. But all that his eyes find are a group of boys huddled together at the center of the sandbox. In the middle of their huddled circle he can see a blonde head that looks down at them. Listening to what seems to be their endless chatter.

Almost by instinct, his feet start to move in the direction of the boys. Until a woman appears before him.

She smiles sweetly at him. “Sir, are you looking for a small girl?”

Minho can feel the confusion that’s written on his features give him away before he even begins to speak “Small…girl?”

The woman blinks twice before nodding “Yes… your daughter?” Upon hearing the words Minho stands straighter “I just assumed that she was yours.” She tilts her head to the left, her mahogany colored locks falling to curtain her features. “Isn’t she?”

Minho’s eyes widen “Xing!” his hands fly to her shoulders, her expression surprised. Not that he can blame her “You saw him? Is he okay? He’s not hurt is he?”

“Him?” Her eyes widen about two sizes “Y-your…it’s a…b-boy?”

Minho let a soft chuckle escape his lips. The woman reminded him of a certain doe eyed animal. “Yes, she’s actually a he.” He bows his head slightly “I’m sorry for the trouble he might’ve caused you. He really doesn’t know his way around the neighborhood yet.”

“Really?” her brows furrow together as she tilts her head, her hair swaying as the wind seems to pick up its speed. "Then my son must have him confused with someone else…”

This time Minho’s brows raise “Your son?”

She laughs while she tries to hold down the tangles of hair that try to fly away. The wind slowly becoming harsher, soft drops starting to fall into his view. “Yes, he’s right over there…”

Minho follows her gaze, it comes to land on two boys sitting on a bench on the other side of the park.

“That’s my Little Soo.” She laughs again and Minho feels happy that she loves her kid and at least kept Xing safe. The small boys turn to them and he can see the resemblance between the boy and his mother.

When Xing spots him though, a grin spreads over his features. His small hand raises, most likely to wave to Minho. The other boy though, notices the movement and goes to grab Xing's hand and starts to pull him away. Minho watches in amusement as Xing just follows along to the boys lead. Obviously being accustomed to the boys habit.

Every once in awhile Xing would send him a dimpled smile as he glanced back to make sure Minho is still there. To make sure that he hasn't left.

"I'm sorry about him." The woman laughs again "He can get very protective."

Minho lets a chuckle pass his lips but worry clearly dances in his eyes. Seeing this, the woman shakes her head and puts her arms through his. “Come. I’ll introduce you to him.”

“To your son?” Minho’s eyes follow the two boys. They stop only when Xing lets out a yell and starts running to an unknown form. The same one that had been sitting in the middle of the sandbox. The same blonde haired figure Minho had seen with the group of boys.

“No and yes. But this, is way better.” She sends him another smile as they pass the swings. Only eight feet away from the huddled group. “My son’s name is Kyungsoo, so make sure you say hi. But the one I want you to meet, is Onew.” The words leave the woman’s lips and Minho can feel his heart lodge into his throat. His cheeks start to flush and his blood starts to boil. Onew. Xing's...father...

A strike of lightning glows in the sky as the clouds start to growl. Quicker drops of rain start to fall from the skies grasp. His mind is telling him to stop walking, that the only reason he keeps moving is because she keeps pulling him along with her. But his body tells him that he knows exactly what he’s doing and where he's going.

“Onew!” Kyungsoo’s mom lets go of his arm and runs over to the small group. Her hair already starting to glisten with fresh drops of rain.

When Minho’s gaze focuses on the figure that’s now carrying Xing, his heart stops. His hands start to move toward the form. Hands becoming outstretched. But before he gets to reach Xing, the woman picks up her son and gathers the rest of the boys. At first he wonders why but then he feels the downpour start. The darkened clouds starting to cry again as the woman leads the boys to warmth.

Xing turns in the man's arms and a dimpled smile lights up the boys face. A smile that catches the attention of the man holding him. Minho's mouth opens, a question ready at the tip of his tongue. Yet when their eyes lock, his and the man's, nothing escapes. The man tilts his head and a smile appears on his features, eyes turning into cresents. Xing decides at that moment to whisper in the mans ear and then bury his face into his neck.

Minho can't help but think that he's seen him before. Which wouldn't be all that weird considering that he does work at Yoogeun's school. But he just feels that that's not it. At least that that's not the full story. When his eyes first laid on the man, all he saw was warmth. The way his eyes lit up when he finally found Xing. How he openly embraced him. It's a sense of...love. Minho can't help but think that he's probably met him before at Yoogeun's school. But as he watches the man motion for Minho to follow after them. He just knows that that's not it.