Chapter 5

One Minute Back

Why Minho thought that taking care of two five year olds would be an easy task, he had no idea.

"Okay, first things first." Minho sits beside Xing. "We have to take you a shower."

The boy speaks clearly as his eyes lock with Minho's. "No."

Minho thinks that he's probably heard him wrong. Considering that Yoogeun had said that Xing’s only fluent in mandarin.

"Now, I can take a guess and say you’re probably like my brother here." Minho makes sure he points at Yoogeun when he says 'brother'. "And probably don't like water but...we have to get you out of these wet clothes."

"No." The small boy looks away from him and instead at the stuffed toy in his hands. "No. Not without ba."

Yoogeun freezes when he hears the boy's words. "X-xing."

Xing looks at him with wide tear filled eyes "Not without Ba."

Before Minho realizes it though, he has the boy in his arms. Water soaking his dress shirt. Tears caressing his neck.

"Well," Minho sighs as he rubs the boy's back "Let's just get you changed before you catch a cold. Okay?"

His heart had never hurt more when he saw the smaller in his arms look up at him. Tracks of his tears starting to dry. A small curve of lips becoming visible.

Palms come to rest on Minho's cheeks "Thank you," then wrap themselves around his neck "Hyung."

Minho's heart swells. Why this boy keeps making him feel this way he doesn't know. He blames it partially on his brotherly instincts. The other half, on the overwheming feeling of deja vu that he gets everytime the boy lets out a cry.


The apartment is quiet again. The Choi brothers having put the small brunette to sleep on their couch. Minho's old track hoodie fitting loosely on the smaller's form. Gracing his body like a long sleeved dress. Fingers clenching and unclenching the stuffed toy in his hands. Curls framing his soft features.

'At least he’s warm now...'

Minho tells Yoogeun to make sure he doesn't wake Xing up. And that the boy doesn't have another sleep filled outburst. He has a call to make and check to see if there's still time.

Minho breathes in an overwhelming sigh. One that hurts his lungs but clears his thoughts.

Both the boy's got along as if they'd known each other from the moment they were born. Which was not the case. At least from what Yoogeun had told him earlier.

 


"I didn't know Xing knew, hyung." Minho watches tears roll down cheeks "I swear that I didn't know."

All Minho can do is just laugh at his brothers antics. A palm wiping away pointless worries "Yoogeun, all I asked was how is it that you met him."

The small dark haired boy shrugs his shoulders as he looks to his newfound friend. Which is curled up in a bundle of blankets on the couch. Having refused to roam around in a house that wasn't his own. At least that's what Yoogeun told Minho.

In his arms, Xing, had the stuffed frog trapped close to his body. A peaceful expression on his features.

"I never really met Xing before." Yoogeun looks back up at Minho "This is my first time."

"Wait. What?" Minho's eyes travel back to the strange boy sleeping on his couch. "But…but the way you two talked."

Yoogeun shrugs again "I never met Xing in person but hyung always tells us a lot about him. And hyung told us that he always tells Xing about us. So I feel like I've known him my whole life." Yoogeun motioned to the boy and then stretched his arms out wide. "So when you really think about it, it's forever." He looks at Minho with wide eyes.

“What about the Mandarin? Who taught you how to speak it?”

Yoogeun’s eyes light up “Hyung showed me of course!”

“What about Xing then? How does he know Korean?”

“Well, I don’t really know.” Yoogeun shrugs his shoulders “Hyung probably taught him some words.”

"Hyung?" Minho can feel warmth rush to his cheeks. "When you say hyung, you mean, Jonghyun hyung?"

Yoogeun tilts his head, confusion obvious in his eyes "No, not Jonghyun hyung." He moves closer to Xing, a small hand brushing away soft curls. "I met Xing because of Onew hyung."

Once the name leaves Yoogeun's lips, the sleeping boy's eyes snap open. The Frog Prince falls out of his grasp and a scream fills the room. "Ba!"

While Minho tries to get closer to comfort the tear filled boy. All Yoogeun has to do is repeat a phrase over and over "It's okay. Your okay. It's okay." before Xing starts to calm down.

"He misses his dad." Yoogeun continues to pat the boy's head.

"Is that why he keeps crying?" Minho smoothes the boy's hair, a small smile reaching his features when the boy leans slightly into his touch. His cries turning into mumbles. His eyes gaining their sleepy haze once again.

Minho feels warmth grow in his chest. He just misses his father.

 

 

“Sweetie, he just misses his father. What do you expect?”

Minho watches as his mother rolls her eyes at his grandmother. Arms crossed over her chest as sweat trickles down her brow. But still she kneels in front of him. Leaning closer to him, hand gripping his arms she whispers “Next time, watch where you step.” She makes a point of turning him to the shattered glass that lays scattered across the floor. The only remnants left of what used to be a vase.

As her hands let go of him, another envelope his tiny form.

“Hey Min.” His father. A large hand ruffles his hair and wipes away useless tears. Picking Minho up, he smiles “You ready to go?”

Locking eyes with the ones that hold so much care for him. “I can’t.”

“Why?” His father brushes away lost strands of hair from his sons face before glancing at his wife. Noticing her disgusted expression he sighs and leans so that his cheek rests on his son’s wet hair. “How about we go out? Just you and me?” he laughs “We can leave your mom’s snooty booty here with your grandma. How’s that sound?”

The question finally gets a smile from the frightened boy. “Y-yeah…okay.” Without another thought of why he started crying in the first place, he buries his face into the nape of his father’s neck. Tiny fingers clutching his father’s shirt.

Atleast for a little while. Until he was returned to his mothers custody. No longer, was he alone.

 

 

"Hyung, Xing wants to go see Onew hyung."

"Onew hyung?" Minho lets the name roll off his tongue.

Yoogeun nods as he sits next to the newly awakened boy and softly pats his head "Onew hyung is Xing's dad."

"His...dad?" Minho sits befuddled/dumbfounded as he tries to place the pieces together "But if that's his father, why did he leave him here?"

"I don't know." Yoogeun shrugs his shoulders "Onew hyung is very strange." When he notices Minho's raised brow, he quickly shakes his head. "Not in a bad way! He's just..."

"Unusual?"

"Yeah, he's...” Yoogeun nods “Unusual, I guess."

 


So that was what he found out so far from Yoogeun. Not that the piece of information was much of anything. He still didn't understand who or why someone left Xing at his doorstep. But it was at least something.

But now there was work to be done. He had to figure out how and why Xing was placed infront of his door.

“Okay, thanks. No, I really appreciate this.” Minho pulls the phone away from his ear for a second “Hey, Yoogeun can you go get dressed?”

His brother tilts his head but doesn’t say anything. Nods his head slightly before patting Xing on the head once and disappearing.

Minho puts the phone back to his ear, “Okay, he’ll be ready in like five minutes…Yeah, I’ll make sure to tell him…Okay, bye.”

By the time Minho is finished talking on the phone, Yoogeun is coming down the stairway. His blue spiderman pajamas gone, instead replaced with a white tshirt and jeans. “Hyung, are you leaving?”

Minho’s heart twinges at the tone the boy uses “No, buddy. Not ever.” He kneels down to his height. “I just want to take Xing to the daycare and see if Onew hyung,” the dark haired boy nods “is there.

“Oh, okay. When do we leave?” Yoogeun moves to grab his sneakers from under the couch. His secret hiding spot.

Minho lets a sad smile light up his features. “Actually, I wanted you to stay with Aunt Luna for a little while.”

“Oh.” Minho watches as the boy pouts “Well, then can you take my permission slip and hand it in for me?”

“Of course.” The boy picks up the abandoned paper and hands it over to Minho. The pout still left visible on his features.

By the time Luna, his newest intern, is knocking at the door. Xing is awake again. Tiredness clearly visible in his eyes. His hair in disarray, the stuffed toy clutched to his chest.

“Omo, he is too cute!” Minho can only blink twice as the blur of pink rushes past him. “Can I hold him?”

Without waiting for his answer though, her hands are already wrapped around his waist. The look on Xing's face is full of pure confusion but he doesn't try to remove himself from her grasp.

"You are just the most adorable thing! I mean look at you!" Xing buries his head in her neck, red clearly covering his cheeks. "Omo!"

This time she turns to Minho, "Can't we keep him?" He watches as she tries to get Xing to look her in the eye. But the boy stays locked in his position.

"Hey, what about me?"

"Aw, Yoogeun you know your my big boy." She leans down to ruffle his brothers hair "Your not jealous are you?"

At her comment Yoogeun starts to blush and turns away from her, arms crossed. "No."

"Look you two, no fighting." Minho makes it a point to look at Luna but she's too busy cuddling with Xing to notice. Rolling his eyes he goes over to the two lovebirds and pulls away Xing from her grasp. "Come on, we need to find your dad."

As soon as the words leave his mouth, Xing's head pops up and a smile covers his features. And for the first time since Minho met the boy, he finally notices the dimples that grace his cheeks.