Chapter 2

One Minute Back

When Minho turned nineteen he files for custody of Yoogeun. To be able to take his brother away from the life his mother had given Minho. The agency though denies his request. The newborn is to stay with his mother.

 

The second time he tries, he goes with Mr. Kim. But yet again, their telling him that he's too young and inexperienced to handle a child. The first thought that popped in his head, was to punch the guy square in the jaw. Before he gets to object on the man's opinion though, he hears a crack radiate throughout the air. And he only realizes after seeing the man bent over, hand to his face, that he'd been hit. Not by himself, but by Mr. Kim. 

 

When Minho confronts him about what he did at the agency, all he tells him is that he did it for him. For Minho. 

 

"You know, I can handle them just denying us." He looks straight into Minho's eyes "But to say that your not responsible enough to keep him safe?" the man before him sighs "They just don't understand that you won't be alone. What you've gone through your whole life. How you had to take care of yourself and your mother. They just don't-" 

 

Before he gets to finish, Minho's arms are already wrapped around the man's body. Minho can feel the large hand rub circles on his back. "Just remember your not alone."

 

After this moment Minho becomes determined. Not letting the agencies constant refusals get him down. He continues with college, a major in psychology and minor in sociology. Mr. Kim also helps him to find a job. A part time receptionist deal at the Kim's company. The job helps him to save the money he's going to need to take care of his brother. 

 

Minho doesn't get to see Yoogeun as much as he'd like but any moment with the bundle is cherished. He takes his time with the bundle. Speaking about his daily routine and how their going to be together soon. He speaks until the boy is softly snoring in his arms. The Kim's are also constantly around the babe. Watching his mother and making sure she doesn't do anything stupid. No smoking around the baby. No alcohol in the baby's bottle.

 

After the first incident happened, the babe had to return to the hospital until it was out of his system, everyone watched her constantly.

 

Time flies faster than he realizes and the day has come. His eighth interview with the agency. This time two come. A man and a woman. "So Mr. Choi, we reviewed your file again." They both lock eyes on him, a simple phrase leaving their lips as they slid a folder over to him. And all Minho can do is fall to his knees. Face buried in his palms as sobs escape his form. Tears falling freely for the first time in what felt like years.

 

 

 

 

Waking up to the sound of yells and screams. Small knees deepening the weight of the mattress. Even smaller palms thumping against his chest. Except that this time, there was something way off. 

 

"Hyung!"

 

Long limbs stretch themselves above his head and over the edge of his bed. Before opening an eye, Minho raises his head and questions the boy sitting on his legs. "Why are you up so early," He grabs the small boys hands, stopping them from doing any more damage. "Again?" Raising himself so that he's sitting up, Minho picks up his brother. Smiling as dark locks fall to cover wide innocent eyes. "Huh, Yoogeun." 

 

Yoogeun just giggles as he buries his face in the crook of his brothers neck. "I wanna go." 

 

The older laughs as he drags them to the shower. "Go where exactly?" 

 

At his question Yoogeun squirms out of his grip, climbing down the taller's frame. He can't help but chuckle as the boy's bare feet hit the cold floor as a yelp leaves his mouth. Running to another room, most likely his own, as his hair flops in different directions. Minho can feel warmth envelope his heart. "How could someone possibly not love you..."

 

 

 

This can't be happening. This woman. My...mother.

 

"You...want to leave me?" 

 

"Honey, don't be so dramatic." 

 

"But, that's exactly what your doing."

 

"No honey." The woman moves closer to him, kneeling down to his height. Dark locks falling to block her eyes from his view. "We," she stands back up. "Don't need you. There's a difference." 

 

He watches as she wraps her arms around that mans waist. A smirk clearly plastered on his features. He was using her, but she was too blind to see it. 

 

 

 

When Minho returns from his memories, Yoogeun is standing in front of him. One hand holding his book bag, while the other is pulling out a folder. "Here." Tiny fingers pull on a slip of paper, "I'm...eligitable. "

 

Minho grabs the paper as he lets his palm smooth ruffled locks. "You mean, eligible?"

 

He watches as Yoogeun's brows furrow "Isn't that what I said?"

 

"Well," Minho glances back at the younger's wide eyes, "Yes, yes you did." The older lets his fingers roam over the distinct lettering of the envelope.

 

"Dear Parent/Guardian of Choi Yoogeun,

this is a letter to acknowledge you as a member of our schools parent group. As part of this group, your child is eligible to attend a newly created program. The program itself will be overseen by myself and three other teachers from your child's school. The program will be based upon the experience of your child and will be helping him/her to grow and evolve. If you are willing to let your child join in our program, please fill out the bottom of this form out and return as soon as possible.

Sincerely, Kim Jonghyun."

 

Minho can feel the small grin that threatens to overcome his features "Long time, hyung." 

 

"Well?" Yoogeun taps his foot impatiently as his wide eyes lock with his brothers.

 

Clearing his throat Minho sits on his bed, a sigh escaping his lips, "Where do I sign?"

 

"The paper!" A chubby finger points out the dotted line at the very bottom of the slip.

 

"Okay, well can you find me a pen then Mr. Smarty pants?"

 

The smaller rapidly nods and digs through his bag. Minho's eyes glance over the paper. Eyes softening as he thinks of the person who wrote the letter. Yoogeun's music teacher. Kim Jonghyun. He wouldn't be surprised if the older didn't recognize him anymore. It's been years since the last time they've spoken. At least, that's how long it felt. In reality, they haven't spoken since last summer.

 

"Here." an uncapped pen is in front of his face, "Sign already." the look of impatience on the smaller's face brings a smile to Minho's. The boys hands now placed on his hips as his foot continually taps against the carpeted floor.

 

"So, when is this due anyway?" Minho stains the paper with his signature before glancing up when he hears no response. "Yoogeun?" The boy is turned away from him. Feet inching toward the door. "Yoogeun." he stands up, noticing the boys quickened pace at the sound of his voice getting closer. Minho though, being as experienced as he was, reached the door before Yoogeun. Only accomplishing in cornering him. "Yoogeun, when is this due?"

 

The boy just shrugs his shoulders. Minho's mouth opens but snaps back shut when a twinkle in his eyes appears. He knees down so that he's face to face with his brother. "Well, so you don't want to tell me." He places a hand on the boys head "I guess I'll have to tickle it out of you!"

 

The look of pure horror that overcomes Yoogeun's face lets Minho know that his brothers going to break. But before a refusal can escape his lips, Minho's fingers are already on every sensitive spot. His stomach, neck, sides, and the soles of his feet. Minho can feel such a pure sense of joy overwhelm his being. Swiftly he picks up Yoogeun so that he's now squished against his chest. Cheek caressing dark locks. 

 

"You don't know how much I love you." He pulls away to look into his brothers wide eyes. He can see that their filled with confusion. Their battle long forgotten. "You saved me."

 

"Hyung, you hear that?" Minho blinks twice before placing Yoogeun back on his feet. The sound of knuckles hitting wood confusing him. "Is the mailman here?"

 

"No. He doesn't get here till ten. And it's only," Glancing back at his alarm he sighs "it's only eight." sending a small glare at the boy he heads to the living room "Why'd you have to wake me up so early?"

 

Yoogeun just laughs as he runs to catch up with Minho's long strides. "Maybe he's early today." 

 

"Sure he is." Minho rolls his eyes, "Don't you have to get ready for school?"

 

"There's no school today. It's Saturday, duh." 

 

"Well, we have to give in your form, duh." he smirks as the boy snatches the paper away. His nose crinkles in disgust. "Now shoo." Yoogeun sticks out his tongue before running out of the reach of treacherous fingers.

 

He places a palm against the doorknob as he lets a smile grow on his features "Really, you don't know how much I love you." 

 

When he opens the door he can't help but stand there in shock. His body unmoving as his eyes grow wide. This isn't how it's supposed to be. Minho thinks through the moment that happened just earlier. What went wrong?

 

He wakes up early this morning, an hour before his alarm is supposed to go off. His head is clouded and before he can even figure out why he's up before Yoogeun. He realizes that the reason he's up is because of the boy himself. Next thing he knows he's standing in front of the living room door. His hand automatically pulling at the knob as another rubs at his slightly unfocused eyes. What he had been expecting was that maybe today the mailman would be early. With the newest edition of Toddler's Weekly in his hand. So call him crazy but he hadn't been so excited to see what, or rather whom, was waiting on his doorstep. So, nothing was going as planned. All Minho could do was stand there, mouth gaping as he tries to calm his confusion. 

 

Who the hell came and left their child on his doorstep?