Lone House Intro

Lone house

The family had just arrived at their new home near the beautiful lake at the rural area site. Their luggages were taken inside by the labours while the children were observing the lake. The mother was walking with her new born baby in her hand who was giggling due to the sunray which seemed ticklish on his forehead. Their father stretched and cooed the baby before walking to the children.

 

He patted his son and two daughters’ head and looked at the scenario.

 

“This is beautiful isn’t it?”     Their father asked not taking his eyes off the lake.

 

“Yeah, at least I’m getting my own room for the first time.”   The youngest girl replied with monotone.

 

“Just that? Nothing else?”    Their father raised an eyebrow in a teasing sense.

 

“Well not just that, we can throw Mustafa in the lake.”     She added referring to the brother who snickered in response. The oldest girl laughed hearing her younger sister’s sense of humour. Their father chuckled but was interrupted by the workers who had finished their work. He left them to enjoy the view and took his wife with the baby boy inside.

 

The three youngsters stood there.

 

“This actually feels nice…”    The 17 years old Mustafa stated.

 

“Yeah…come to think of it…too nice.”    The youngest girl, who herself was a year older than Mustafa, stated.

 

“Do you always have to think negative Mushreka? You’ll tire you little brains out thinking like that.”     The oldest one replied without any expression.

 

“Speak for yourself Murdiyahh apu. You’re the one with a depressed attitude; I haven’t seen you laugh for like…forever.”     Mushrekah gave her little statement.

 

“Never mind me.”    Murdiyahh ignored the subject.    “Let’s go inside and help out.”

 

“You guys can go.”    Mushrekah replied.     “I wanna stay here a little longer.”

 

“Suit yourself.”    Murdiyahh turned.   “Let’s go Mustafa.” 

Mustafa turned and left Mushrekah alone near the lake. Mushrekah stood alone.

 

 Her mind drifted off somewhere in the past. Never she though they would finally be happy in their lives with their healthy new baby brother Munif. The lake was calm and the wind was light but welcoming as if it wanted them here. Her coal black mid length wavy hair flew lightly as the wind touched her peachy face. She closed her eyes and breathed in the air until she heard a sound similar to a blowing horn from miles away.

 

She opened her eyes but saw no boat or launch on the lake.

 

“Sounds like the wind is …”

***************************************************************

 

Their father was paying the workers after they completed their work; he was arguing with the price amount as usual thinking the amount they were charging was too high.

 

“It’s too much just for few luggages; we even provided you with lunch money. You have to count that in.”    Although their father wasn’t yelling it could clearly be seen that he was plain annoyed.

 

“Have you seen the season? Its middle of the summer and we charge according to the contract laws; also my men didn’t charge you for the fuel.”

 

The father plainly gaped at then with his hands on his hips thinking out their logic. Surely that was no good reason but what could he say. Labours are labours; they do not have the brains for an argument or giving valuable reasons. He thought it best to just pay the extra charge. He took out his wallet and took out more 100 and shoved it on his hand. The worker turned while he walked back to his family.

 

“You had no choice did you?”    Mustafa asked while playing with Munif in his parents’ bedroom.

 

“These labours will be the death of me…always hitting my pocket nicely.”    His father responded making Mustafa snicker. The mother giggled and looked around.

 

“Where’s Mushrekah?”     she asked.

 

“She’s outside viewing the lake…”     Murdiyahh answered wiping her face with her towel.

 

“Call her inside; we’ll eat first.”     The mother smiled at her before getting off the bed letting her husband sit to play with Munif. Murdiyahh left the room and exited the house to see Mushrekah still standing near the lake. The older one walked to the younger one and stood besides her taking her attention.

 

“ Mother’s calling you inside; it’s time to eat.”

Murdiyahh didn’t hear Mushrekah respond; she looked at the younger one who was spaced out somewhere.

 

“Mushrekah?”     as Murdiyahh called a sudden gust of wind flew pass them finally bringing out Mushrekah out of her daze.

 

“Did you hear that apu?”    Mushrekah mumbled.

 

“Hear what?”

 

“The sound…the sound.”

Murdiyahh looked at Mushrekah again before hitting her on the arm.

 

“Oww!”

 

“Stop creeping me out!”    Murdiyahh laughed knowing her sister was messing with her.     “Come inside; I’m starving.”    She walked off; Mushrekah looked at the lake again before heading inside the house.

*******************************************************

 

They were eating on the floor as the table still had bags over them. Each of them would remove it afterwards. Mustafah took another piece of flour bread and was feeding it to Munif while both Mushrekah and Murdiyahh were eating quietly. The oldest one had her scarf wrapped around her head. Their parents were eating silently.

It was in their customs not to talk during eating; it represented bad manners and that you don’t appreciate your food. But none of them were grumpy; each of them would leave a smile to another when eye contact was made.

 

After they were done both parents removed the dishes to the sink and started washing them while the children played with Munif; he hadn’t grown full teeth yet still he managed to bite his siblings’ fingers.

 

“Quit putting your finger in his mouth Mustafa.”     Mushrekah muttered annoyed at his behavior.

 

“Cant help it; it’s so ticklish.”     Munif giggled as Mustafa pretended to get hurt at his bite.

 

“Well you’re putting your germs in his stomach.”    Murdiyahh stated this time and finally Mustafa removed his fingers.

 

“Alright settle down; we’re gonna have a discussion on you, kids.”    The father got their attention as they sat on the bed with Munif on Murdiyahh’s lap. The mother stood there not wanting to sit after eating.

 

Their father sat straight on the bed crossing his legs on each other and closed his eyes feeling his stomach digesting all. Heaving a sigh, he looked at his children.

 

“So…you kids know your school. You know how you are all going to cope up?”

 

“Well…apart from the language barrier I think there should be no problem. Of course we’re all taking our courses.”    Murdiyahh being the modest one, answered without hesitation.

 

“Yeah, until they swear at us and we smile to them thinking it as a compliment and all we’re gonna say is ‘kamshamnida’.”      Mushrekah butted in causing all to laugh.

 

“That won’t be a problem because its quite common here…so you two…”    referring to Mustafah and Mushrekah he said.     “…are going to fall under the same campus and Murdiyahh’s campus is elsewhere.”

They nodded at the obvious fact.

 

“What are you studying again Murdi?”     their father addressed Murdiyahh with her pet name forgetting once again her subject.

 

“Astro-physics abbu…”    she tried not to roll her eyes.

Realizing his mistake again he bit his tongue teasingly rubbing his neck.

 

“Sorry…Mushrekah?”

 

“CSE baba…”

 

“Right. M…”

 

“Law and don’t forget it.”     Mustafah cut in before their father could say more.

 

“He he he he…”    snapping back from his funny face; he looked at his wife who was folding few baby clothes.    “Uhh Ayesha…what are going to do all day long? How will you take care of Munif alone?”

Ayesha merely looked at her husband with an assured face and smiled at him.

 

“I already hired a part-time helper around the house.”    She answered smiling lightly at him. He rubbed his hands together adding with excitement.

 

“Alright then, we start getting things together. Come on.”     He stood up along with the three and went to the first room to fix.

The house was quite big and surprisingly came at an easy price. The estate seller was quite eager to sell it due to financial reasons and their father took it without thinking twice.

Migrating in South Korea was difficult and he wanted to take no chances.

 

Their parents’ room was on the first floor at the left hand on the way in. as the corridor went ahead Mustafa’s room was at the end of the corridor on the left too and on the right was a bathroom. On the opposite of the parents’ room, a staircase went up to the sisters’ room. Murdiyah’s room was bigger and had an attached bath while Mushreka’s was smaller with no bath.

 

Poor girl would have to come down and walk at the end of the corridor if she needs to go.

The kitchen and the dining room were together on the right side of the first floor; on the same side as the bathroom was and with it; had a balcony.

 

They fixed their rooms one by one with beds, wardrobes and boxes while the mother took care of baby Munif and night fell; they sat for dinner on the table that had been finally set.

The mother was feeding Munif as he giggled and the rest were smiling at their baby brother. The father helped in between feeding Munif.

It was then the father noticed that Murdiyah was having trouble with her scarf on her head which kept falling off and she kept putting it up with her left hand as her right hand was in the food.

 

“Murdi, you know you don’t have to cover your head while eating. That was back home…no one will say anything here.”

Her father softly mumbled at her.

 

“I know…”   she answered.    “But it has become a habit Baba…plus it is a good deed to eat covering head and-“

 

“Don’t give me the religion crap.”   Her father interfered curtly.      “Religion didn’t help us get here; we ourselves did.”

 

“Now is not the time…”    the mother tried reasoning but he cut her off.

 

“No. we were forced to do things under the name of religion at home and…we all suffered. Now that we are here; we will start new and if necessary we will convert to Christianity. I believe in no god anyway…”

 

“Baba don’t say that following some rules is not bad and-“

 

“Murdi I will not tolerate any of this that hurt my family before. I know this is small…but if I have to I will forbid all kinds of religion practices in the house and shove alcohol if necessary to break out the bounds.”

 

“That’s ridiculous Baba. Its immoral even if not believing in religion.”

 

“I know that.”   he firmly ended.    “I am just making my point that I would not allow for us to suffer again.”

He stood up with food smudged in his hand and walked away.

 

“Dear it’s not right to leave food.”    The mother said as he ignored and walked away to the basin washing his hands.

The other two just observed…Mustafa quietly ate and Mushreka fixed the scarf on her sister’s head and went back to eating. The mother sighed and went back feeding the baby.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Mushreka was about to enter to her parents to get an extra pillow if they had some but she over-heard them speaking about her elder sister. She stood aside and listened to them.

 

“Dear you know how they were raised and what troubles we had to go through. Even our own turned their backs on us…don’t be so harsh. Now eat…don’t do injustice to the food.”

Her mother’s voice was soft and her reasons were always logical.

 

“I know…that’s why I want them not to feel closeted…I want them to be free. I know they wont do anything to shame us but I feel guilty for our children’s suffering…even yours.”

 

“That’s okay…we are here now. We will be happy…”

Mushreka turned back and climbed up; not feeling like interrupting them anymore. She went to her sister’s room and saw that Murdiyah was on her study.

 

“Apu…you okay?”

Murdiyah looked at her younger one and gestured to enter. Mushreka sat on the bed when Murdiyah answered.

 

“I’m fine…”

 

“You know dad didn’t mean anything bad.”

 

“I know Mushi…but I cant get my mind out of the fear that…if I do something wrong…I will be beaten again.”

 

“That was long time ago sis. Forget all and start new. If possible, get a boyfriend.”

Murdiyah sniggered and lectured.

 

“You know how much I am against it…I don’t really like anyone.”

 

“You will once you start going to school. You’re 20 already…who wont ask you out? You’re beautiful.”

 

“That’s nice of you Mushi…but you’re too young to even talk of it.”

 

“I’m 18…”    Mushreka pursed her lips and muttered. 18 was considered as a child’s age to her sister.      “Well I’m off to bed; could you spare me an extra pillow?”

 

“Sure.”   Murdiyah let her sister take a pillow and left to her room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 A sudden heaviness in the bladder woke Mushrekah up. She dragged herself up and walked out of her room noticing the time which was 2 in the morning; climbing down and walking all the way to the bathroom at the corner. After finishing she came out and realized how dark the corridor was and the moonlight entered from the glass door. It looked beautiful but creepy at the same time. She walked to the stairs and climbed up; glancing slightly at her sister’s opened room with a figure beside the bed.

 

She stopped and looked again…no one besides Murdiyah was in the room and she was sleeping.

Besides Murdiyah’s sleeping figure; she had seen a standing one…a shadow perhaps.

 

“I must be imagining things…”

She walked back to her room and didn’t wake up till morning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

While breakfast on the table, the father sighed, noticing the scarf yet again on Murdiyah’s head. She was not going to listen. Meanwhile Mushrekah was quiet not because of table manners but because what she thought she saw last night. She wanted to talk about it before it turned serious.

 

“Dad?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Do you think there is a chance of burglars coming in?”

 

“What an inauspicious topic for table?”    her father remarked.    “Why ask?”

 

“Just to make sure. You have attached the alarms right?”

Both of her siblings looked at their father having the same question in mind; her father gulped seeing such a face.

 

“I will call someone for this today. Ayesha will you be able to handle them?”

 

“Of course; but after one of the kids come home. Someone needs to care for Munif.”   She responded and he agreed. The kids soon finished and left for class.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mushrekah, being new to the class, sat there bored on her desk as the lectures went on. No one was interested in her and neither was she but the boredom was killing her.

Her thoughts drifted off and the sudden image of the figure appeared.

She gasped.

 

The figure was of a man…and he was just standing there beside Murdiyah.

 

“Ajib chiz thi…”

She muttered in Urdu meaning ‘strange thing…’ catching the attention of the boy beside her.

 

“What was that?”   he asked in korean.

 

“Nothing.”   She answered in korean.

Her entire day just passed like that.

After coming home all shared of their days at school which was a common thing in their family. Mustafa’s day was quite the unusual as he managed to make friends already and due to his good looking face, he attracted quite an amount of girls.

Murdiyah however on the other hand had a troubled day. She already became the new target for bullying due to her exceptionally beautiful face and her nationality.

The bullies were somehow worried that she would get all the popularity in the class but she didn’t care much on that. Their father only encouraged her not to stand back.

The alarm was set that day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 After dinner they went off to bed early as they each had school and father had work.

However at 2 am exactly Mushrekah’s bladder gave a call.

She woke up and proceeded to the toilet walking through the dim corridor which was lit by moonlight. While going back to her room, she heard footsteps from upstairs…she looked up at the ceiling and heard.

 

‘Dik-dik, dik-dik’

As if slowly walking to something.

She rushed upstairs and glanced through Murdiya’s room but saw nothing.

No one was there besides her sister.

The window was closed.

She entered the room anyway thinking her sister might have been awake.

 

“Apu?”   she whispered to see whether she was awake.

 

“Apu are you awake?”

It didn’t seem like it.

Not thinking much she went to her room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quiet breakfast time and yet happy. Munif was eating healthy and smiles were exchanged except Mushrekah. She had questions in her mind.

 

“Apu?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Were you awake late?”

 

“Late as in?”

 

“Like 1 or 2?”

 

“No…why? I fell asleep very quickly…I didn’t even wake up for restroom.”   Murdiyah responded.

 

“Well…I heard footsteps coming when I was coming through the corridor.”

 

“It must be your imagination. Maybe it was your footsteps.”   Her father answered instead. They just moved here and they didn’t want any sort of fear working in their hearts.

 

“Maybe…”   she murmured. Even she hoped it was true.

 

At college she was alone again and no one spoke with her. She was eating tiffin alone when a boy approached her.

 

“Mushrekah right?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I’m Yoochun, your classmate.”

 

“Oh. Nice to meet you.”   Her broken accent made the boy chuckle and she didn’t seem to be offended.  It was natural.

 

“Sorry. So how do you like college?”

 

“So far so good.”

 

“And living?”

 

“Comfortable. We got this house at a cheap rate. Its near the lake around here.”

 

“Do you mean the lone house near the lake?”   he asked cautiously.

 

“That is the only house there. Why?”

 

“Uh…no wonder you got it cheap. Many things had happened there.”

 

“Oh like what?”   this seemed to be like the old movies where a murder happened and since then no one could live there or died by the ghost.

 

“Like hearing and seeing things.”

That got her tongue.

 

“What kinds of things?”

 

“My mother’s friend used to live there before moving away. She said she heard footsteps and would often see someone in her room…”

 

“Tell me…”   she gulped.    “Did anyone die or get hurt?”

 

“Not that I know of but…”   his face turned grim.   “She went insane on the 7th day.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------