☜2nd flight☞

Take Flight

 

Goeun and Sehun developed a weird friendship over the course of days since their first meeting on that fateful night. Every mornings, Goeun opened her window to let the morning air in, as well as the little bird and Sehun's spirit. They would spend the whole day talking to each other and just keeping each other in company. 

Nobody questioned it though. The nurses would sometimes wonder why Goeun would let in a little bird in her room. Or why she would rather stay inside her room than go outside. Or why they would sometimes hear voices in her room as if she was talking to herself. They didn't mind it though. They thought it was Goeun's own way of coping up with her situation. 

Sehun found out more about her. And Goeun found out more about him. As he spent time inside her hospital room, he saw all the medicines, medical tests and check-up Goeun had to go through each day. But he admired her strength and courage to endure all those. 

"I was born with this rare con disease called hypoplastic left heart syndrome," Goeun told Sehun once they were all alone again. No matter how many times Goeun repeated it, her condition still sound all too foreign for him. She laughed heartily when she saw Sehun's puzzled and blank expression.

"Basically, it means the left side of my heart has not developed fully when I was born," Goeun explained in simple terms. She tried to smile while her voice trailed off. Up to here, she thought to herself. I'll tell you the rest when time probably comes.

"Ohh, I see," Sehun answered with a nod while he hovered above her. He went near the open window. The afternoon sunlight streamed through his transparent body and lent a warm glow to his figure. "But you're getting better, right? I mean, look at all those medicines you've been taking nonstop."

Goeun froze and looked up at Sehun's smiling face. She tried to speak but no words came out of . Goeun couldn't tell him the truth about her own condition. She was afraid that when Sehun will find out, he'll leave her. It was a foolish thought, really, but Goeun couldn't find the courage to tell him. In the end, she just gave Sehun a smile while she hugged her knees closer to her chest.

"So what's the first thing you're going to do when you get released from the hospital?" Sehun asked while he looked out the window. He stole a glance back to the smiling Goeun. He thought of how pretty she looked like huddled in her bed. "Like your dreams, or what you want to do in the future?"

"My dreams?" Goeun frowned a little as she thought of her answer. Truth be told, she never thought of it before. All she knew was that she has at most 18 years to live. She never thought of her life beyond that. And Sehun wasn't someone to ask about it, really. For he, too, never had any dreams for his future when he still lived. 

"I have simple dreams," she finally said and made up her mind. She hopped off her bed and went beside Sehun. The little bird chirped in between them. "I want to fly and see the world outside."

"You want to be a bird?"

"Not literally!" Goeun exclaimed with another laugh. "I just want to feel the wind through my hair. Be out there at the center of things. Smell the flowers, taste all the delicious food." She let out a sigh before she continued on. "I just want to live my life, that's all. What about you, Sehun? Tell me about yourself."

"Well, I'm Oh Sehun," he started to say while he looked at Goeun. The afternoon rays also hit her face which made her pretty face glow radiantly with the golden sun. He cleared his throat and thought of the next thing he would say. "I'm Oh Sehun, and... and I..."

Goeun's brows furrowed and she tilted her head. She waited for Sehun's next words and watched him with a confused expression as he stammered with his words.

"...and I... I don't know anything else about myself," he finally said as the realization hit him. "I can't remember what happened to me."

"Amnesia?" Goeun asked with a frown and a look of concern. "Or maybe you're really a ghost from the past life. Are you from Joseon perhaps? Like the alien Do Minjoon from that drama I watched last night!" Goeun's imagination started to run wild as she gave a lot of childish suggestions to Sehun. He laughed at them one by one, laughing at Goeun's seeming innocence and childlike view.

"I really don't know," Sehun answered and shrugged. "I should be worried about all these stuff. I don't even know if I'm already dead or my body is lying somewhere without a soul. But instead here I am laughing with you."

"Gwenchana," Goeun patted him on the back, or more like ran her hand through his transparent body. She felt the numbing iciness again, but she didn't mind it. "Maybe through time, you'll remember what really happened. I'll wait for it."

"For how long will you wait for it?" 

"Oh?" Goeun blinked back and tilted her head again. Sehun was actually asking how long will Goeun have to stay in the hospital. Sehun thought that when the time comes that Goeun will be discharged from the hospital, he wouldn't see her anymore. But Goeun interpreted his question in another manner. She took a deep breath and faced Sehun with her whole body before she answered. "Six months. They say I only have six months left to live."

Sehun stared at her with eyes wide open. He wasn't expecting such answer from her, and his ears refused to believe what he had just heard. He wanted to say that he didn't believe her. That she was just joking him. That she was getting better. But Sehun didn't know about her incurable disease, nor how she spent her whole childhood in and out of the hospital. But no words came out of his mouth. Instead, the gloomy air between them became stuffy. Sehun's throat strained to attempt to vocalize his feelings. Should he feel sorry for her? Comfort her? 

"D-don't worry about it! I've already known about this since I was little and I'm already prepared to face my fate." Goeun noticed the awkwardness between them and tried to laugh it off. 

But her laugh seemed hollow and empty to Sehun's ears. He stood up and his voice, though cracked, was strong and echoed with his own emotions. "Then what are you doing here all holed up in your room! You said you wanted to be out there in the middle of all things."

"Eh?"

"Six months is not enough to experience the whole world. But that's your dream, right? I'll help you see the world, Goeun-ah. This is probably the least I can do for you."

"B-but how?"

And so Sehun spent the rest of the afternoon telling her of everything he knew about the outside world. Since his own memories were still hazy, Sehun used his recollections of the scenery that he knew as a bird. He talked about the different trees outside the hospital and the playground too.

"Eyyyy," Goeun mocked him and laughed. "Of course I know about that, too! The hospital is like my second home already."

"Fine," Sehun pouted and tried hard to remember whatever he could. Although his memories were still unclear, he had a sudden flashback of a ferris wheel somewhere in Cheonan. He looked at Goeun with eyes wide and said, "The ferris wheel! There's this huge ferris wheel near downtown. I remember riding it almost everyday when I was little. Have you been there?"

Goeun shook her head with a frown. When she was little, the only thing she remembered that she played with was the swings at the hospital playground. But after her fall, her father had forbidden her to play in the swings anymore. It was probably her only memory that would come close to flying.

"Then I'll tell you about it."

"You remember?"

"Well, part of it, yes." Sehun said and hovered above her. "All I remember is that the ferris wheel is really huge. And when I'm at the peak and I look down, the people below looked like ants. It's really high up and you could see the whole Cheonan."

"I want to see it!" Goeun exclaimed and stood up. Her heart raced fast and her cheeks flushed from the excitement. But Sehun just stared at her with mouth open.

"What?"

"Take me to the ferris wheel and let's ride together! You told me you'll help me, right?"