Prologue: Oh Sehun

Take Flight

 

Oh Sehun has always had it easy. Born as an only son to one of the most influential families in Cheonan, he had his future ready and waiting for him. The only problem was, he never wanted it.

He grew up as a spoiled child. His parents bought everything, anything for him.

"Look, eomma," little Sehun pointed at a big train set. "I want that!"

His eyes widened in awe at everything that the toy store offered him. Train set, robot, remote-controlled cars, airplane models. He wanted everything. And he got everything. At home, he played with his toys but the excitement he got from those toys were fleeting. He grew tired of them almost immediately. Besides, he could get new ones easily, right?

"This is the latest model!" he exclaimed holding a big box of robot above his head.

And so, that was how little Sehun grew up. He never saw the value in little things, especially if it could easily be replaced. And as he grew older, this attitude started to apply to his own life as well. He wanted the thrill. But all these are momentary and temporal. So he seeked newer thrills in a flash.

On his first year at Dankook University, he had the realization: "This is not what I want to do with my life." He didn't want the confines of a university education. He didn't want the high expectations and standards he had to live by. All that Sehun wanted was the thrill and uncertainty of life. 

He dropped out of college and he moved out of his parent's house. He lived the life of party -- drugs, alcohol, . Everything. Nothing. He wasted his youth away. He lived each day knowing he'd wake up and repeat it all over again. And each precious day was wasted.

Until one day, he woke up and found himself on a tree branch, up high. How did I end up here? he asked himself. He looked around and it was only then when he realized he was perched on a tree branch 45 feet above ground. His eyes widened. He was afraid of falling. But his claws tightly gripped the dry branch he was perched on.

Wait, what? Claws? Sehun did a double take. Indeed, he had claws. He tried to talk but his lips were replaced with the hard waxy beak. No sound came out of his mouth. He has been transformed into a bird, for reasons unknown. I'm high or drunk, or maybe both, he dismissed the absurd situation and waited for the time when he will wake up from this drunken stupor.

He waited for days and days. But it never came. He was still a bird perched on top of the willow tree 45 feet above ground. He gradually accepted the absurd. Littly by little, he learned how to use his wings which took him to higher places. Until he came across the cold glass window of a hospital room.

Sehun would watch this girl across the window. She was probably around his age, and he thought she was pretty too. But she had a childish air around her, as if she did not know the outside world. It was as if her life would only revolve around her little hospital room.

Pretty girls like her should not be locked in a hospital room, he thought. She should go out and enjoy her life.

But through the glass window, it wasn't the image of desolate helplessness that he saw from her. Even if she was all by herself, she had the aura of optimism. He watched her and her genuine laugh as she tells jokes to the nurses. He watched her run towards a man, who was probably her father, with a hug whenever he would visit occasionally. And, everyday, the girl would wake up with a big smile ready to face whatever is in store for her.

Sehun would often wonder why a girl like her would stay in the hospital. But he figured there was something wrong with her body. Nurses would come in at regular intervals to administer her medicine. And her body would give out sometime in the middle of a light workout or Tai Chi. Why is someone so young suffering like this?

The girl liked to stare out of the window to watch the little kids below. Sometimes she would stare at him too, at the birds, and would smile a pretty smile. A smile full of hope and optimism.

Sehun liked watching the girl everyday. He memorized her day-to-day routine. Wake up, take medicine, fix her bed, stretch her body, read a book, eat, rest, look out the window, medicine, eat, rest. It was a boring and mundane routine. But the girl would do each step full of anticipation and excitement. She always looked forward to seeing the nurse and exchange stories with them. She felt excitement with every turn of the pages from her books, with every verse from Shelley or Byron's poetry. And she always looked forward to the different scenarios that would unfold right before her eyes outside the cold, glass window of her hospital room.

He wished that whenever the girl would look at him, she would see him as someone like her, and not just a bird.

In this particular night, with the moon full and loomed above, the window was left open. The cool breeze swept the white curtains and in came Sehun with his little flapping wings. He was disappointed, however, when he saw the empty room. She's not here anymore? he asked himself and perched himself at the empty white bed, the white sheets still outlined with the curves of her body.

After a while, the door pushed open. A nurse came in who pushed the girl on a wheelchair. The night breeze shuffled her long brown hair that framed her pale face.

"Omo, Goeun-ah, did you leave the window open?" the nurse asked.

"Nope," the girl answered with a frown. "But don't worry, unnie, I'll close it myself." The nurse nodded and left her all alone again in the confines of the dreary white walls. The girl slowly walked towards the open window and stared at the moon for a while before shutting it close.

Sehun finally learned her name. Goeun. Goeun. But no matter how hard he tried to speak her name, no words came out. Goeun. Goeun. Goeun. Goeun. Goeun. And her voice that he heard for the first time. It sounded sweet yet strong at the same time.

"Goeun..." he finally managed to say. What, I can talk? 

The girl was startled by the voice. This kind of shock was not good for her. She jumped back with her hands clenched to her chest. Her eyes went to her bed where she saw a chirping bird. She sighed and thought that she was just hearing things. She opened her window once more to let the bird fly out of her room.

But then she saw something else. Just behind the bird, a boy about the same age as her was smiling. But he looked like no ordinary human. He was blue, transparent, and almost glowing under the moonlight. 

A g-ghost!? she thought. It was the first time in her life that she saw something of supernatural origins. She opened to scream but no words came out. Her legs gave away and she slumped to the ground with eyes wide open.

"Annyeong," Sehun greeted her when he finally realized he was sort of human again, except that he was a spirit with no body. "I've been watching you from outside for quite sometime. Let's be friends..."

And this is how the unlikely friendship between a girl who wanted to live and a boy who wanted to die started, at room 505 of Dankook University Hospital, in the city of Cheonan just south of Seoul.