As Much As I Do

I'd Cross The Ocean
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s note: This is it. The finale. Finally. (By the way, I suggest you to re-read the prior chapters to get in the mood of the universe again teehee. And this is unbetaed as per usual)

Warning: Lots of cursing.

Disclaimer: In no way, representing real Korean society, that I know nothing about except for some things I got from netizen buzzing and handsome foreigners discussion on jtbc

Anyway, here, have your hormonal teenager Jun!

 

Teenage Jun, Ten Years Later­

 

 

Have you ever despise something? Like so strongly, so suddenly, you never expected you would feel that way?

 

My name's Jun, I was 15, and I totally, absolutely hated my ing life.

*

 

I was considering my option:

1. Walk past Papa as fast as I could when I arrived at home, straight to my room, change into a sweater in this summer (which would raise suspicion.)

2. Never come out from my room until it faded (which would only make him barge into my room.)

3. Snatch some of Papa's make-up cream—whichever it was, to cover it—like what Papa used for his face to keep it flawless.

 

In the end, I decided as I pulled the collar of my uniform back to it's place, that the bruise on my collarbones wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. So If Papa would ever find and flip out, I'd just have to tell him another lie. (Even that this time I had no tournament around to back up my excuse.)

I shrugged to myself before I realized that the barber which window glass I used to assess my bruise was staring at me from his shop like there's something stinky under his nose, like I was an ill-mannered kid he's about to adopt as his kid, so I just made a face to him (which made him looked pretty shook) before I kicked the curb, back to the road, wasting my time by walking only on the red brick tiles and avoiding the greys.

 

There's no one in the living room and kitchen when I came in, so I breathed out a sigh of relief.

But then I found Papa was putting laundry in my closet when I got to my room.

(Papa was really, I supposed you could say, beautiful. He was tall and lean—I got that from him biologically—, with tiny face, pale white skin, cat-like eyes and button nose. I was considering, plenty of times, to call him Momma because of it. Tho mostly it's because of his nagging.)


"Hey, big guy." He said briefly when he noticed my presence, flashing a smile before turning back to the stack of my clothes.
I answered with a lazy grunt and a roll of eyes at the pet name.


"How's school?" He asked. Same old, same old.


"?" I offered.


He sent me a disapproving glare. But I was already immune to it.


"Pa, can you go out?" I asked, I felt like he loitered in my room longer than necessary "I want to change."


"Aww, why are you being all embarassed?" He made a face "I used to clean your poop and wipe your all the time."


"Pa, please."

"Alright." Papa laughed "I make beef casserole for lunch. Don't pick at the carrot on the rolls I'm gonna find out."

I rolled my eyes again. Definitely a Momma.

*

 

You might be wondering why I compared my father to a mother.

Is it because you don't have one? Well, I guess that's true to a certain extent.

Then is it because you only have a single parent like most of your classmates do? The answer's no.

I had a set of parents. Although both of which, were gentlemen.

Which felt just normal, really—I mean, I didn't even understand why they had to make me sit and listen to them explaining why I got two daddies instead of one daddy and one mommy like everyone else when I was eleven, because I thought there's nothing wrong with it—.

I just realized the gravity of this when grade nine and Shin Jae Kyung happened.

*

 

We had no teacher for two hours chemistry class and left to our own devices, and look at what happened.

Shoes off, playing cards out, blazers off, cellphones out, make-up equipment out, bullies out.

 

I was talking to Ah Rin, the prettiest girl in class—heck, maybe in whole grade—when the ball of crumpled paper hit the back of my head before it rolled down to the side of my hand and fell on the floor.

I automatically turned around to look for the culprit. And found the big bloke from baseball team, Shin Jae Kyung, flipped me off then laughed with his crowd in the back of the class.

"Ignore it," Ah Rin, which was the prettiest girl in whole grade, and also my childhood friend and my neighbor, tried to calm me down by holding my hand (this thing kept giving me electricity lately, I didn't know if Ah Rin ate light switch for breakfast or something.)

"I'm not going to come over to him to challenge him or something." I said to her.

She gave me a frown and a smile which looked kinda funny, but made two little dimples at both sides of her lips appear anyway.

I picked up the paper.

"Don't read it, Jun-ie."

"It's alright." It's not, but this kind of thing confronted me later, in the back of my mind at night.

You one of your daddies off too, this morning?

My blood pressure automatically rushed to my head at those words.

I knew this was just my dose of daily verbal bullying ever since Shin Jae Kyung found out about my parents and their ual orientation and had to insist that I was an abomination by terrorizing me ever since.

But things never got any easier.

 

Two trembling fists "I'm going to kill him." Said a voice who wasn't me.

"Ah Rin-ah." I held her wrist when she already stood up. Apparently, she read the notes, too. (And sometimes, she did get more worked up about it than I did.)

She looked down at me with deep frowns, eyes blazing "You can't let him keep doing this to you."

"Aren't you the one that tell me to ignore it?" I asked her back "It's okay."

It'd never be, but what could I do?

*

 

"I think maybe he likes you."

"Who?" Ah Rin furrowed her eyebrows.

"Shin Jae Kyung." I answered.

"Don't make me barf." She pretended to throw up.

We were walking back together, at some rare opportunity when I didn't have sparring after school and Ah Rin wasn't practicing. She's a dancer, like her mother.

"That's why he's torturing me." I explained "Because I'm close to you."

Ah Rin rolled her eyes. I just realized from where I picked up my recent habit.

"Is your Daddy home yet?" She asked then.

I shrugged. Ah Rin really liked my Dad (I'm not going to call him Daddy anymore, it sounded so kiddish.) Or more likely, Ah Rin liked my Dad's punny jokes I was never going to find funny.

"He should have finished his conference yesterday though." I told her.

 

I walked Ah Rin to his house and met his appa, who was working for my grandpa and a long time friend of my fathers.

"See you later, Minho samchun." I bowed to him from outside the door.

"Let's do some basketball later, Jun-ie." He yelled, waving at me, but not moving from in front of the tv that was airing some soccer match re-run.

(Ah Rin rolled her eyes again from where she was holding the front door open. Her appa was too passionate about sport for her liking.)

"And send my utmost caring hate for Kibum!" Minho samchun added, as an afterthought.

 

Minho samchun really liked to quarrel with my Papa. I would think they had bad blood between them if I didn't know better (because most of their fights were good-naturedly, like the best of frenemies.)

 

"Sure," I snort-laughed a little, ready to turn back.

"Jun," Ah Rin suddenly called, concern showing on her eyes. I raised my eyebrows.

"Don't think about it, alright?" She said "About Shin Jae Kyung."

I just shrugged "I'm not going too."

*

 

But that wasn't what happened.

When I got home, I wasn't in the mood to announce my arrival like usual (as I was lately), so I just came in without any sound.

And what welcomed me, as I passed by the kitchen, was a sight that made me feel like I was intruding something absolutely private.

 

"Jinki! Stop it! You're gonna burn your hands!"

My Dad had gotten home, alright. And he seemed like a happy, bubbly kid as per usual as everytime he was around Papa.

(Dad was really, I supposed you could say, handsome. He had well-defined, clean looking feature. Prominent adam apple, small eyes. He was smart, he was kind, he was gentle and he got your typical dad, bad jokes.)

 

This time, Dad had his arms around Papa's waist, and just clinging around to him while Papa was busy walking around the kitchen, nuzzling at his neck.

When Papa finally shrieked as Dad slid his hand under his shirt and tickled his side, I couldn't help but to feel a frown making it's way to my forehead.

I guessed I should be happy knowing my parents were still so in love with each other (many of my friends' were divorced.) 

But—I was quite sure this happened to every kid—seeing your parents being affectionate to each other sometimes felt kind of too much for the stomach.

You one of your daddies off too, this morning?

I felt something churn in my gut and finally decided to slip in quietly to my room and put my headphones on.

*

 

"Look what we have here."

Here we are again, I sighed quietly as the corridor of hell, where Shin Jae Kyung was the king of the castle, came upon me.

I was, by no means, a weakling. Maybe it had something to do with my biological features, but I held blue belt in taekwondo. And I found it irrational to pick a fight just because I could.

I wasn't the type of kid that got into trouble and my grades were alright. So I wasn't going to let him got into me.


I'd let him call me names and shove me around as long as I still could defend myself and it didn't hurt anyone else.

The last bruise on my collarbones was from Shin Jae Kyung tripped me down the one of the school's neighborhood stairs and stepped on my shoulder blades.

Papa never actually found out about that so I just treated it myself as I had experiences from sport bruises.

I knew I could've won against Shin Jae Kyung in a duel, if only he didn't have those ers following him around to incapacitate his every rival. Coward.

"What do you call him in english? Fatgot?"

Your english as bad as they come, I remarked. But there's really no point in insulting the linguistic skill of a mountain troll, so I just stood my ground when one of his minions tried to shove me aside.

*

 

"Jun-ie?"

I pried one of the ear of my headphone off and turned my head back to see Dad was standing behind me with the smile that supposedly could blind the world.

"Dad," I frowned as my fingers moved quickly to close the browser tab I was reading on my phone "Can't you like, you know, knock first?"

"I've knocked a thousand times already." He seemed sort of wounded "You won't hear me with that thing blasting to rupture your ear drums."

"Still..." I said as I was turning my head back again, fumbling with my phone to open random application I wasn't going to use.

Then Dad was ruffling my hair "How is my big guy doing? You like to keep to yourself lately."

I shrugged "Fine."

"Does this puberty that hit you?" Dad asked, frowning sadly "It's been too long for me. I'm an old man, as your Papa might add."

"Yeah, maybe."

Then Dad had this smile, that got some kind of longing on it "Sometimes I miss when you were still this small." He made a gesture with his thumb and point finger "You always liked to sleep in my arms."

"Dad.." Seriously, what's with the melancholy of my dads lately "Cut it out."

He laughed "Sometimes, you really really resemble Kibum, with both of your no-nonsense. Well, I'll leave you now. Talk to me and your Papa occasionally about anything, okay? I'm sorry if I've been so busy lately."

"Nah," I just really wanted to be left alone now "I know you're the university rector now."

"Yeah. But your Papa and I will always be here for you, you know?"

"Of course."

I wouldn't say, wouldn't even try to consciously think that it's you both that'd been the reason of the hurdles in my life these days.

*

 

There's some unusual crowd in the corridor that noon. I had no qualms about that at all, so that I didn't realize it was my locker that had become the center of attention.

'Wants a homo good time? Call 010-xxx-xxx! You can either pick me or my dad!'

. So that's why my phone had been ringing nonstop with unknown numbers.

"This is going overboard."

I didn't know when Ah Rin arrived, but she had already charged forward to rip the paper off my locker and shooed everyone while I was still frozen.

"I know." I somehow found my voice "I'm going to confront him."

"No, Jun." Ah Rin shook her head "Just report it to the teacher."

"And what? Make Shin Jae Kyung get anymore reason to think I'm a pushover?"

"Jun." She warned me.

"Ah Rin," I called her back and just frowned at her, begging, then I turned around.

"Jun.."

I already walked away from her.

*

 

Shin Jae Kyung was smoking in the unused toilet in the back of school building when I found him, because apparently, with the void of his brain, that's the only thing that could make him feel more manly.

"Look who's here." He sing-songed.

"Cut it out." I didn't waste time to respond to him.

"What do you say?"

"Cut it out. Stop bothering me when I don't even bother you."

"Geez. Here I was hoping I've knocked some sense into you by punching you like in every chance I got. So let me phrase it for you: even your existence is a bother."

Shin Jae Kyung walked toward me, but then when he grabbed my collar, I did the same with his since we're actually the same height and he seemed almost automaticaly shook.

We stared each other like wild animals, assessing, and I could visibly see him getting the tiny bit terrified, somewhere in between his wave of emotions.

I got some more drop of courage because of it that I tightened the grip on his collar "Leave me the alone."

Then Shin Jae Kyung screeched like a tortured animal as he pushed me back by the force of his huge body, but I did my footwork to trip him down to the ground.

I regained my standing as he fell, face first, like a big tree being cut off and I felt some kind of triumph.

Before, of course, Shin Jae Kyung screamed at his minions to get me and I was down within a second, held by two guys in a size of elephant.

I knew what's coming but at least I'd made my point.

Loser.

*

 

I was feeling rather resigned, detached as I got home. I felt like a sack of crushed potatoes and I knew that there's no way I'd get away with it this time.

"Jun-ie?!"

Papa, as expected, flipped out as soon as he saw me "What the hell happened to you?!"

He was going to hold my face but I turned away because I knew it's going to hurt. "Nothing."

"What nothing?!" He's mad already "I'm going to call your daddy."

"Whatever." I said, ready to go to my room. I just really wanted to sleep it off

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter