Chapter 8

Betray Me Not

Kai believes he is nothing less than a genius.

 

       Once he calmed down, Kai realized that kissing Hana was a wonderful tactic. Not only did he succeed in degrading her, but now he has another thing to manipulate her with.

 

All Kai has to do now is forget about the taboo name that she uttered.

 

          And it is working; Hana has been avoiding Kai lately. Kai is receiving perfect scores on all his Calc assignments. Hana doesn't call him out in class anymore, or nitpick his homework. Her eyes dart away from Kai's every time they both make eye contact.

 

      Kai is not reciprocating Hana's tame behavior, however. If anything he enjoys the fear that Hana possesses for him. Therefore, Kai exploits Hana's emotions and humiliates her at every opportunity.

 


 

     Take, for instance, the day after the incident at Kai's apartment. Hana strode into the classroom, her face set in its usual stern demeanor. "Turn to page 314 in your textbook," she commanded, determinedly not looking at Kai. "We will be learning about-,"

 

   "Professor Oh, is that a hickey?" Kai drawled loudly. Hana’s body went rigid. Giggles erupted in the classroom, every student whispering to each other.

 

  "I thought she was the one who said we couldn't engage in 'lewd activity'," Kyungsoo smirked.

 

  "Who would want to give Professor Oh a hickey? She'd probably lecture them about their improper technique and point out all their flaws," Hye Mi tittered.

 

"So who's the lucky man, Professor?" Kai grinned darkly. "Did you have fun last night?"

 

Hana’s eyes darkened with a combination of fury and shame. She knows her hands are tied, Kai thought. If she tries to talk back to me I'll just tell everyone the truth. So Hana had no choice but to grit her teeth and call, "Page 314. Now. And Mr. Kim, stay after class."

 

“What are you trying to pull?” Hana hissed after the last student left. “Why did you have to say that?”

 

“I can say whatever I want,” Kai smirked, leaning against Hana’s desk. “And you can’t do a thing about it, Hana.

 


 

Come over, Kai texts Hana.

 

“What the hell?” she exclaims. It is 11:40 PM, and Hana has just finished grading her students’ homework. She was just about to climb into bed. How could Kai demand for her to come to his house at this time? Unfortunately Hana has no other choice.

 

Carefully tiptoeing to the door, Hana ensures that Sehun does not see her sneaking out of their apartment. Otherwise she will find herself in a very sticky situation.

 

When Hana reaches door of Kai’s penthouse, she braces herself against any potential attacks. She will not let Kai repeat what he did to her yesterday. However, when Kai opens the door, he merely shoots her a nasty look. “Get inside. You have a lot of work to do,” he informs her coldly. Hana lowers her fists in relief.

 

Kai’s living room is a complete mess. Loose papers are strewn all over the low black coffee table, and binders upon binders are stacked on the sofa. A laptop is haphazardly placed on the corner of a countertop in the kitchen, teetering precariously on its edge. The apartment is almost in complete darkness, save for a single lamp.

 

“You need to compile finances, write cash flow statements, and calculate expenditures with the data provided,” Kai says tiredly, tossing Hana a thick blue binder. Faint black crescents are visible under his slightly bloodshot eyes.

 

“What?” Hana narrows her eyes. “I don’t even know how to do those things! Is this your homework or something?”

 

“I thought you said you were some genius,” Kai snaps in a biting tone. “What, was that all talk? Why don’t you do something useful for once?”

 

Hana can’t help but feel hurt. Kai’s words feel like they have slapped her in the face. It seems like lately, that’s how everyone has been looking at her lately. Some child prodigy who is completely worthless. A girl who started off with so much potential, was invested in with time and money and praises, but turned out to be of no use.

 

When Kai sees Hana’s face he is a little taken aback. He didn’t realize that what he said would have so much impact on her. Wasn’t Hana supposed to be strong and unyielding? But Kai does not care. There are more important things to be taken care of right now; and besides, Hana can go rot for all he cares.

 

“Alright, I’ll figure it out,” Hana sighs. “I hope you realize that it’s almost midnight. And we have class tomorrow morning.”

 

“I don’t give a damn,” Kai replies monotonously, and settles back onto the couch, laptop in hand.

 

When Hana opens the blue binder her eyebrows shoot up.

 

Korea Oil National Company, Transactions. 1st Quarter, the first page reads. Rows and rows of fine black numbers are arranged in multiple columns across the sheet, with names of vendors and other companies on the right side of the paper.

 

“Why am I doing Korea Oil National Company’s finances? Wait, isn’t this your family’s business?” Hana stands up angrily. “Do it yourself.”

 

Kai clenches his teeth, tightening his muscles. “If you don’t do it, I will email the entire student body a picture of you sitting in my apartment with the caption ‘I love when Professor calls me oppa~~~”

 

“ you, Jongin,” Hana hisses.

 

In a second Kai has lunged towards Hana and pinned her by the arms to the sofa. Hana’s breath catches in and Kai glowers down at her with a murderous look.

 

“What did I say about calling me that?” he growls. “Tell me.”

 

“What did I say about infringing on my personal rights? And besides, it’s just a name. Why-,” Kai cuts Hana off by smashing his lips onto hers. Hana’s eyes widen as she desperately attempts to break out of his iron grasp, but to no avail; Kai merely pulls her closer. His kiss is vicious, dominating, overpowering Hana’s senses and weakening her knees. Kai forcefully shoves his tongue past Hana’s lips and deepens the kiss.

 

Just when Hana feels like she is going to collapse from lack of oxygen, Kai releases her.

 

“Don’t call me that, or I won’t hesitate to do it again. And I’ll go further next time,” Kai threatens Hana in a dangerous tone. The next moment, his eyes dart away when she looks up at him. Kai does not want to see the shock, anger, and... hurt in Hana’s expression for any longer.

 

“I- I want to leave.” Hana’s voice cracks at the end of her sentence.

 

“Not before you finish,” Kai says tonelessly, looking back down at his laptop. Regret is beginning to well up in himself. The rush of satisfaction Kai had experienced when he saw Hana trembling below him is gone, replaced by self-reproach.

 

You hate her, Kai tells himself. She’s mean and rude and everyone hates her. She was the cause of Sehun’s depression.

 

But as Kai stares at Hana, who is working morosefully at the stack of papers on the table, he is struck by how young, how innocent she looks.

 

And that’s when a small voice reminds him that she is only 19 years old.