Chapter 4

Betray Me Not

“Sehun, I need your help,” Hana says as soon as she arrives home. Her brother lazily looks up at her from the couch. “How do I kill a man?”

 

Sehun falls off the sofa.

 

“It wouldn’t be that hard, right?” Hana speculates, heading to the kitchen. “I’d just have to get a knife, find a dark spot. But how would I lure him there?”

 

“Are you crazy?” Sehun yelps. “You’re not killing anyone on my watch. Mom and Dad are going to blame me.

 

“Maybe I can tell them first, so you won’t get in trouble.” Hana suggests, causing Sehun to face palm. “Now to practice.” She grabs a tomato from the fridge. “I’ll grab his head like this-,” Hana squeezes the tomato, causing its sides to bulge, “-then I’ll take a knife and just-,” She brings the knife down on the vegetable in rapid succession, her face scrunched in concentration.

 

By the time she’s down cutting, tomato guts are all over the countertop, and Sehun’s hiding under the table.

 

“Stop being such a psycho!” Sehun snatches the knife from his sister. “What happened today?”

 

Hana reaches into her bag and hands him a sheaf of papers. Sehun’s jaw drops as he reads the obscene words scrabbled in black pen.

 

“Did you tell the dean?” he says. “They’ll be kicked out immediately.”

 

“I tried! But the ringleader of that whole thing is the son of some rich family. So if he gets kicked out his parents will sue the school.” Hana flings herself facedown on the couch. “You can be smart, but money will still get you further,” she remarks miserably.

 

Sehun grinds his teeth. “That’s total crap. You shouldn’t have to put up with that Hana. It’s... okay.” He hesitantly pats his little sister on the back. This is awkward, he thinks. I haven’t done this in a while.

 

“I thought since I got my phD and everything, I would be a super billionaire. But I get paid as much as Mom and Dad.” Hana whines.

 

“Cheer up,” Sehun says. “Hey, I have an idea. You should come to the freestyle competition tomorrow. I’ll be dancing with my friend.”

 

“I can’t,” Hana moans, rolling over to look up at Sehun. “I have to grade dumb papers and put together a quiz. But I really wish I could.”

 

“Ah. That’s okay.”

 

“I’ll try to make a nice dinner, though.” Hana sits up. “You should bring your friend home. I’ll make something really good. Not ramen, I swear.”

 

Sehun scratches his head. “Er, are you sure?”

 

“Positive! I’ll just imagine the vegetables I’m cutting up are my students’ heads.” Hana flashes her brother a sunny smile which causes a shiver to run down his spine.

 


 

“Hey, you’re here.” Kai high-fives Sehun as he steps into the locker room. The dance competition is being held in a large auditorium downtown. This is the first time Kai’s been here.

 

The two friends stretch and warm up their muscles. The other contestants in the room are chatting with each other, bouncing up and down. A few demonstrate their moves in an attempt to scare their opponents.

 

It doesn’t work on Kai.

 

It never works on Kai.

 

“Dancer participating in the Seoul Dance-Off, please step on stage right now! Are you ready?” The announcer’s voice booms, and the audience cheers and screams.

 

“Whoa, this is more people than we’ve ever danced in front of,” Sehun breathes in Kai’s ear. Kai dips his head, surveying the rows of bystanders. There must be at least 200 people. He can spot a few girls from his college in the crowd, including Minah and Hwe Ji. They shout his name with gusto, waving their arms around. Kai flashes them a little smirk and the girls go wild.

 

“First up, we have Ahn Yanghwa and Kim Minho! Give ‘em a hand!” The 2 boys step forward and burst into an intense breakdancing routine. Their tricks are impressive, but their fancy stunts only serve to hide the fact that they don’t have rhythm. Kai can see it at first glance.

 

The crowd is going insane. Their shouting is nearly deafening. When Kai and Sehun’s names are called by the announcer, the noise increases even more. But the instant the music turns on Kai blocks it out.

 

His body is popping, locking, moving to the beat of the song. Kai loses his self to the music, his frame moving by itself. He works against Sehun’s movements, turning left when his partner turns right and vice versa, creating a breathtaking mirror effect. Kai feels like a god. His worries and burdens have flown from his body, like florets drifting off a dandelion.

 

When Kai and Sehun slide into an ending pose, the audience gives them a standing ovation. It’s the duo’s 18th 1st place trophy. Not too shabby for two self-taught college kids.

 

“Hey, Kai, if you’re not busy... do you want to come over?” Sehun coughs awkwardly. “There’s someone who promised to make us a delicious dinner.”

 

“Is it Minah?” Kai asks.

 

“No... it’s my sister.”

 

Kai blinks. “Wait... your sister? I thought you-,”

 

“It’s complicated.” Sehun bats his hand. “She’s starting to open up a little. We’re not on good terms right now, but we’re not on bad terms...,”

 

“Hm. I get you. Well, sure. I’d love to come over. The mystery of your sister has haunted my dreams for years.” Kai throws his friend a teasing grin, and Sehun playfully rolls his eyes.

 


 

Hana is playing Just Dance. An aromatic lasagna sits on the table, a basket of buttery, flaky bread rolls sitting next to it. A chocolate cake is cooling on a heating rack, its rich flavor lingering in the air.

 

“Sehun and his friend are going to be blown away by my cooking,” Hana pants, trying to follow the dance routine on the TV screen. “I don’t have to tell them I used Betty Crocker. Or Pillsbury. Or called Professor Dae and asked her to help me make lasagna.”

 

Hana’s in the middle of a hardcore dancing routine when she hears the door unlock. She doesn’t bother to look up; she’s a few points away from getting a high score. “Hi Sehun,” she huffs, moving her arms side to side. “I made pasta and stuff.”

 

When there is no reply, Hana takes her eyes off the screen.

 

And nearly faints.

 

Kim Jongin is standing in her apartment, his jaw hanging open.