Chapter Six

Gang Han Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Minhyuk was walking around the city, head down and a mask over his mouth that found a usual aspect in the streets. His eyes were alert though full of shame, as if he was bound to do something forbidden. He must be quick; he didn’t tell anyone about his little expedition and his leader might come back to the apartment any time now.

He trusted him. Seonwoong.

Maybe he shouldn’t. Though, Minhyuk had the faith to believe the older man wouldn’t set a plan to catch him (any sane cop would have done that). He was probably a fool to think that, considering how many years the two man didn’t spoke to each other.

His feet dragged him in a park called Seonyudo, right outside Gangnam. The moon was silently reflecting on his face, the light bringing a comfort that the streetlamps couldn’t. When he looked at his watch, the small hands indicated that it was exactly three minutes to eleven. There was a pavilion near the river crossing the park, green trees surrounding by a beautiful field of flowers. The colors dancing under the moonlight brought a smile to Minhyuk’s face.

He waited then. A minute, then two that quickly turned into fifteen. He exhaled loudly, though he couldn’t bring himself to think that it was over. He still believed Seonwoong would come, though the silence surrounding him should make him be on his guard. But after some more time, Minhyuk could finally make out the silhouette of man taking shame afar under the bungalow. It’s been three long years since they last saw each other, but when Minhyuk saw the police officer come to him, it’s as if not a single day had pass.  

“You came.” Minhyuk was startle by the sound of his own voice, weaker than it has ever been. Maybe it was the surprise to actually see the other man show up – because no matter how much he wanted the cop to show up, there was no promise that he really would be here.

When Seonwoong came neared, Minhyuk could see bags under his eyes – heavy suitcases bored into his flesh that made him older than he really was. He wasn’t wearing his uniform, just a grey plain shirt under a leather jacket and dark jeans adored by grey baskets that used to be white at some point. He said nothing when he stopped his track three feet from the younger man, hands stuck in the pockets of his jeans. He was looking at Minhyuk as if he didn’t quite believe he was there himself, lips pinched and wide brown eyes full of guilt.

“Give me one reason why I shouldn’t arrest you right here and now.” The cop’s voice was firm, almost angry – and it was something to say that it even sent a chill to run down Minhyuk’s spine for a moment that lasted longer than he would like to admit.

There was a lot of things going on his mind when he noticed the golden badge well-tightened at the cop’s belt; and he was sure that even without the outfit, Seonwoong had a gun hidden somewhere under his jacket. The silence was starting to be a tad too long, and the cop shifted on his two feet, crossing his arms over his chest to point out his impatience. Minhyuk cleared his throat, eyes levelling up to meet the elder’s. “I don’t have any.” He finally replied, his voice firmer than before.

When Minhyuk expected the cop to pull out handcuffs from somewhere and cuff him without even blinking, he didn’t expect the older man to exhale a long sigh, leaning himself on the wooden pylon as he rubbed his eyes tiredly. Minhyuk bite so hard on his bottom lips he could feel the iron taste of blood dripping in his mouth. “Why am I here, Minhyuk?”

A sharp breath caught in the younger’s throat, gathering his thoughts to try and find an explanation. No matter the real reason of their meeting, Minhyuk couldn’t bring himself to say it out loud. Lying was always the easiest way for him, though with the older man looking at him expectantly right now, he found it as difficult to lie as telling the truth. “I needed to see you.” He spilled, not quite confessing but not exactly lying either.

Seonwoong’s chuckle resounded against the wooden pavilion, a bitter smile ghosting over his lips. The cop nodded silently, sniffling away the cold wind freezing his nose. “Alright. Well, I’m here now, aren’t I?” Minhyuk scratched the back of his head, not sure if he should laugh with the other or stay put, not daring to say or do anything. The sparks of the river were reflecting against the cop’s eyes, giving an angelic stare that Minhyuk couldn’t buy for anything in the world. He knew the elder was deadly mad, if the way his jaw kept tightening every time his eyes landed on the younger was anything to come by.

“How are you?” The question was as innocent as it could be, but it only made Seonwoong straighten up, uncrossing his arms from his chest as he aimed his eyes at the younger, as menacing as his gun.

“I don’t have time for your chitchat, Minhyuk, tell me the why I’m here or God help me, I will cuff you right now.” The gnarl of his voice hurt like a bullet transpiercing his flesh. Minhyuk was out of words, eyes wide open and lips parted that let the most even of breath to come in and out.

There was no point in avoiding the main topic here, and as much as Minhyuk would like to think otherwise, he was losing this. With a defeated sigh, his shoulders slumped as he closed his eyes slowly. “I need your help.”

If Seonwoong expected anything, this surely wasn’t this. His gaze was fixed on the younger’s who still had his own eyes closed, and the cop suspected that the younger man was fearing the look on his own face. “Since when does gangs need cop’s help?” When Minhyuk opened his eyes again, he didn’t think he’d face a smile. Though there was no mistake, the way the edges of the cop’s lips quirked high on his cheeks surely made the young man’s stomach twirl on itself.

All Minhyuk could do was shyly smile in return, swallowing hard the knot that formed in his throat. Though, he was not laughing with the man. When there used to be a time the two men found themselves laughing over stories and anecdotes in a bar, drinking until they couldn’t remember their own name – now, the laughter in Minhyuk’s throat was bitter. “Hyung, we’re in trouble.”

This time, it was a heartfelt laugh coming from the deep of Seonwoong’s stomach that reach the younger’s ears. “Is that news to you?” he asked once the laughter died down, a hand on his hip as he tried to regain his breath.

The young gang member was not amused, not a single bit. If it was anyone but the cop right in front of him, anyone that dared laugh at his face like that, they would f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter