Chapter 4

Who Knew?

Key’s POV:


            The shop was a rather small corner store, with a fancy front window exhibiting what looked to be at least fifty different kinds of pastries. Soft cafe music punctuated by the tinkle of a bell spilled from inside as the door opened. Still holding my wrist, he dragged me to a near by table overlooking the small side street. I eyed Jonghyun carefully as he walked up to the counter to order something. I was too far away to be able to hear what he ordered and I had absolutely no talent in the area of lipreading. I frowned, hoping he would order something in my taste range. When it came to food, drinks, and basically anything, I was extremely picky. I enjoyed only certain flavors of coffee, and could not stand espresso. He sauntered back over to me, grabbing a chair from a nearby table and dragging it across from where I sat. A goofy grin was plastered on his face, but I frowned: why was he so happy?

            “Oh come on. Why are you so moody? Are you on your period or something?” He chuckled as  he waved his hand in front of my face to catch my attention. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms with a glare.

            “No I am not,” I snapped. Almost immediately, I began feeling the reget at raising my voice. His eyes dropped to stare at the table, lower lip jutting out as he began to pout. As he looked up at me like an abandoned puppy, I sighed before roughly running my hand through my hair. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to raise my voice. I guess i’m in a perpetually bad mood from last night.” Remembering what had happened at the club and back at Minho’s apartment, I groaned. “My ex being there, and then getting an earful from Miyoung was not how I was expecting to be cheered up.” My palm came up to support my head as I felt a headache coming on. Jonghyun nodded before gesturing that I should wait a moment. I watched him as he walked back over to the counter, body moving with a catlike grace that made me wonder what he did in his spare time. “What is he doing now?’ I muttered under my breath, but staring at him nevertheless my curiosity peaked. He gave a small smile as the girl handed him a bag and two drinks. Returning, he placed the bag and one drink in front of me and gave me the first real smile I had seen from him. His lips pulled back to reveal even teeth and slight dimples. His eyes slimmed to half-moon curves that left me slightly breathless.

            “Drink up, Key,” He said, raising his drink and bringing me back to reality. I looked at him raising my eyebrows at the unknown milky substance. He chuckled. “Relax, it’s just a vanilla latte.” Though I would never admit it, I was impressed: that was one of my favorites. Maybe he wasn’t a huge idiot after all.


 

Jonghyun’s POV

            I watched happily as I saw him drink the latte, a satisfied smile slowly spreading over his face. It was nice, being able to see him genuinely smile and look at peace. I mentally gave myself a high five.

            “So can I ask what the hell you saw in that guy?” He gave an aggravated sigh, shutting his eyes tight.

            “Believe me, I honestly don’t even remember” He scoffed taking a bite of the cinnamon roll I had bought him. “He was so sweet in the beginning, but something slowly took over him. I really know how to pick them,” Key shook his head, black hair flopping over his eyes, clearly annoyed with the way his life was at the moment. “To be honest, I’d rather just forget I ever went out with him.”

            “I hear you. I have ex’s that I just look back on and think ‘What the hell was I thinking’” A small laugh as well as a shudder escaped at the memories.

            “I know right! It’s like, was I drunk because damn!” Key laughed and I smiled. He had a nice laugh that lilted lightly, ringing through my ears like music. I would definitely made it my goal to make him laugh more.

            “So, I assume you’re out of college? How old are you?” I asked. I mean, why else would he be shopping in the middle of the day?

            “I wish. I’m just taking a few business classes here and there. You know, got to get ready to take over my father’s business,” he huffed. “I’m 22.”

            “Really? You’re very young to be taking over your father’s business!” I asked, slightly shocked. Though, with his choice of clothing, I should have known he wasn’t on the average income level. His family must be wealthy. I frowned, suddenly feeling as if I was in the prince and the pauper. “I’m 23,” The words came out with a bit of distaste, as I was suddenly feeling discouraged.

            “What about you? You still in college?” I nodded.

            “I’m a music major. I write and sing,” This was said more proudly. I had forgotten that I too was going somewhere...hopefully...maybe. I frowned again.

            “Wow! Really? I’d love to hear you sing sometime,” he cooed and I blushed. It had been quite awhile since I had sung for anybody. His eyes darted to his watch and his pupils enlarged. “Shoot! Is that the time? I should be going, I need to go talk to Minho,” I saw him stand up, and I stood up as well. He rummaged through his bag in a panicky manner before pulling out a piece of paper and handing it to me. I looked down grinning to myself. There, written on bright pink stationery was his name as well as him number. I looked back up at him to see that he was smiling. “I’ll see you later. Thanks for the latte,” He winked before walking out of the door. I sunk down into my chair holding the paper to my face as I felt my ears tint red. Did that really happen? I was practically squealing, ignoring the funny looks I was getting from other customers. Oh my god~


 

Minho POV

            When I entered the music theory class the next morning, the first thing that caught my attention was a head of tousled brown hair, flattened by a woven black beanie. I poked Taemin’s shoulder, enjoying the way his mouth parted slightly in surprise as he saw me. Yeah, I kind of lied about not really knowing him yesterday. But I couldn’t exactly let him know that for the last semester instead of the music theory book, the majority of the time my eyes were looking at him. A happy glint appeared in his eyes.

            “Hey,” I said, sliding into the chair next to him. I watched his adam’s apple bob as he swallowed.

            “H-Hey Minho,” he managed to make out, stuttering slightly in an adorable manner. I gave him a smile before turning away to pull out the textbooks for this class. What I had expected when I looked back, was a Taemin staring intently at his textbook in an attempt to ignore me. What I had not expected, was a bag of sweet potato chips and a several cartons of banana milk.

            “Hungry, are we?” I asked. He shrugged before offering the bag of chips to me. I took a couple, trying not to react when our fingers brushed. A loud crunching sound came from Taemin as he chewed the chips, cheeks puffed out not unlike a chipmunks. He noticed me watching, and swallowed clearly embarrassed. He tugged the tassels of his beanie, as if it could hide the blush spreading across his cheeks. I tugged at the hat. “What’s up with the hat, by the way?’

            “Ah,” he muttered before pulling it off. His hair stuck out in every direction, the amount of cowlicks immeasurable. “I, uh, was to tired to dry my hair after my shower yesterday, and just went straight to bed. And, well....” he trailed off, pulling the hat back on. I gave him an assertive glance.

            “I have some styling cream in my locker for after soccer practice, do you want to borrow it?” His face lit up at the thought of removing the hat, eyes turning hopeful. I had to look away briefly, terrified that he would start spewing sparkles or something. It was even worse when I looked back, Taemin’s entire visage practically glowing with happiness.

            “Thank you, Hyung!” he caught himself, but it was too late.

            “Hyung?’

            “Eh, that is, if you don’t mind, I could-”

            “Please, don’t worry about it, it’s fine,” I interrupted him. He turned to stare at the snacks on the desk in silence. Several minutes passed before I gained the courage to ask him what was wrong. “What’s wrong?” His brow was furrowed in concentration, but he seemed to snap back to reality with the nudge of my elbow. Once again, a pink tinge spread across his cheeks. I gave him a questioning glance.

            “I was, uh,”

            “Go on,” I said. He stayed silent for several seconds, but it seemed like an eternity. Finally he looked up, the pink tinge slowly turning a more red color.

            “Promise you won’t laugh at me!” he whispered furiously. I held out my pinky. “I was, uh, I was wondering whether you gave me permission to call you hyung, cause I’m confused, was it fine that I called you Hyung or was it ok if I continued calling you Hyung?” the outburst came out as a single breath, with Taemin tripping over words so fast I had difficulty understanding what he said. But when I did, I felt a smirk pulling at the corners of my mouth. Taemin hadn’t moved, preferring to stare at the wood of the desk.

            “Taemin?” I called.

            “Yeah?” he answered, face flushed.

            “Call me hyung.” Taemin blushed even harder, but a smile appeared on his face.

A/N

Aaand 2min is here! There will be more of them now, we promise (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

~Nel and Pika