Chapter 3

Who Knew?

Key POV

            “Kibum?!” the voice called, distinctly familiar. The shock of blonde hair confirmed my suspicions as the pitter-pattering of my heart sped up.

            “Jonghyun?” I questioned. “What are you doing here?” He mussed my hair, making my bangs fall into my face.

            “I work here,” he answered as i blew hair out of my eyes in annoyance. “Sorry, sorry,” he muttered before combing my hair back to its original state. I gave him a pointed glare and he raised his hands in surrender. “I won’t do it again please don’t kill me.”

            Huffing in annoyance, I headed to my original destination, the womens section. I honestly had no idea what Miyoung would like, but decided she could benefit from any aid I gave. I gave the sweater section a once over before moving to the accessory aisle.

            “Is that for yourself, or as a gift?” said Jonghyun just as I had picked up a silken gray scarf. He had followed me here after helping out a customer. I took this chance to take in his appearance. He was wearing a simple black t-shirt that stretched across his muscles, and black jeans. The earring from last night had been replaced by a hanging silver drop, bringing out almost silver highlights in his hair that had not been visible in the dim lighting of the club. Once again, I was stunned at the fact that he was actually really good looking. But I kept my face neutral as I answered,

            “It’s a gift. I think, I’m not entirely sure. It’s terribly tempting to just grab the scarf and run out of the store, keeping it for myself.” Jonghyun chuckled.

            “If it’s a gift, you should give it away willingly.” I pouted before gesturing towards the cash register. He rang the scarf up efficiently and told me the total as I payed. “Would you like it wrapped?” he asked hesitantly at the expression on my face. I gave the scarf one more loving glance.

            “Is...Is it bad that I really, really want it?” said I, practically whispering.

            “When is your friend’s birthday?”

            “Tomorrow.”

            “Will you have the chance to buy her another gift?” I sadly checked the time before shaking my head.

            “Wrap it please.” He quickly shoved the thing in a pre-made gift box as I sunk into a world of depression. “Thanks.” It really did not sound like I meant it. I stared at the glittery box, willing myself to pick it up and shove it into a shopping bag from a previous purchase. Jonghyun looked worried.

            “Are you going to be ok?” he asked, tilting his head to the side, the motion vaguely associating itself with a puppy’s. I waved my hand at him to show him I was fine and began to drag my feet towards the entrance.


 

Jonghyun POV

            I swear to god, Taemin is one of the most adorable creations of the planet. He stuttered and blushed all the way through his confessions, cheeks painted a rosy pink for the remainder of the night. Whenever he praised Minho, dimples flashed on his cheeks and his eyes sparkled with a new light. Which was bad, very bad for me. Though I had come to terms with it several years ago when Taemin had briefly dated some guy his senior year of high school, it was difficult to accept he was no longer the little boy who watched Pixar movies while sprawled on my lap. And so when I had come into work that morning, utterly exhausted from lack of sleep and running on what seemed to be five or six cups of tea, I could do nothing more than collapse at the cash register until a customer appeared. But even when one did, it was far too difficult to lift my head and look at them properly which I regretted dearly several minutes later. There, not five meters away from me stood Key. He looked as elegant as last night, if perhaps more proper, dressed in black jeans and a gray cardigan over a white flannel shirt. His expression turned thoughtful as he turned to walk towards the back of the store, and I called out to get his attention.

            “Kibum?!” he turned, surprise written all over his face before his lips pulled back momentarily into a smile.

            “Jonghyun? What are you doing here?” The way he had tilted his head while talking was just too cute and my fluffy instincts kicked in. I reached over, messing with his hair as if he was some adorable pet. Which, in a way, he was. Not a pet, but he was adorable.

            “I work here,” I answered. His eyes crossed slightly as he puffed to blow hair out of his face, his annoyance growing. “Sorry, sorry.” I smoothed his hair back down, enjoying the feeling of his soft hair running between my fingers. As soon as it was down, he scowled at me, dark eyes glowing in displeasure and with a hint of murder. “I won’t do it again, please don’t kill me.” My hands were raised in defeat. He only huffed and began to walk away. I was about to go after him when I realized that he was not, in fact, leaving the store, but simply heading towards the women’s section. At that moment the bell at the desk rang announcing the arrival of customers at the cash register and I hurried back, sneaking glances at Key to make sure I could talk to him. He looked like he was in deep thought, facial expression serious as he browsed the women’s aisles before moving to the accessory one. I quickly helped the other customers and hurried over to Key. He was so far gone in his own world he missed my approach. Clearing my throat a little, I gestured to the gray scarf he was holding.

            “Is that for yourself, or as a gift?” I felt his eyes roam my figure momentarily before he answered.

            “It’s a gift. I think, I’m not entirely sure. It’s terribly tempting to just grab the scarf and run out of the store, keeping it for myself.” I chuckled at his tone.

            “If it’s a gift, you should give it away willingly.” That’s when it happened: the first time I saw Kibum pout. His lower lip slid out and his cheeks swelled. The watery eyes were the sinker, as he looked so utterly disappointed in the fact that he couldn’t keep the scarf himself it made me want to buy it for him. He gestured at the cash register in defeat. I felt his eyes glued to the scarf in utter adoration the entire time I rang it up. I looked up, and wished I hadn’t. I had never seen a person so desperate for anything before in his life. Hesitantly, I asked him if he wanted it wrapped. He practically drowned the cloth in his love before swallowing hard.

            “Is...Is it bad that I really, really want it?” His voice was so low I had to strain my ears to catch it.

            “When is your friend’s birthday?”

            “Tomorrow.”

            “Will you have the chance to buy her another gift?” He glanced at his watch before shaking his head. As soon as he gave the signal, I shoved the thing into a gift box hoping to avoid another fit of depression. I failed however.

            “Thanks,” he muttered, but it looked like his entire world was falling apart.

            “Are you going to be ok?” I asked, but he only waved his hand at my expression and headed towards the door at a slow, grueling pace. Which, of course, made it easy for me to catch up to him. I grabbed his wrist, simultaneously calling for my shift partner to watch the shop for me and twirled him to face me. “Come on, can’t have you this depressed all day now can we?” His lifeless eyes met mine, and he looked like he was about to reject my offer. But he had already run off once, and I wasn’t about to let him do it again. “You have no say in this matter.” I pulled him out of the shop, heading to the only place that could cheer me up on a bad day: the pastry shop.

A/N:

Third chapter is up~ Please read and subscribe; we love you guys <3

~Nel and PIka