Daehyun

One Shots

As I quickly pulled on my shoes, I checked my watch. Damn it! I'm going to miss the train! I quickly grabbed my coat and ran out the door. Almost forgetting to lock it.

As I ran down my street, the wind whipped my face. A January breeze caught my mouth, making it hard to breathe. I stopped quickly at a convenience store to buy some water. The cashier smiled as he handed me my change. I pushed the bottle into my backpack before leaving the store.

Then I started running again, checking my watch. The train station became more apparent as I tried to fix my bag on my shoulder. My breathing got heavier and my knees began to ache as I arrived to buy a ticket. I checked the time again 8.17! Good I have some time left! I pulled out my water as I began walking towards my platform, checking the electronic timetables as I passed them. 

As I got to my platform, my legs began to ache. I rubbed my hands on them, trying to rub the pain away. I looked up to see if the train was coming. Straightening myself, I drank some of my water and then put it back into my bag ah! why can't the train be here already! Just as I thought this, I saw in the distance a silver and red train approaching the platform. The train began rushing past me, sending my hair into a frenzy. I quickly tried to brush strands of my hair out of my face as I watched the train begin to slow down. I looked up and down carriage D or carriage E? I walked towards carriage D and stepped onto the train. As I pushed my hair back and looked up a tall boy rushed on. He dropped his bag as he propped himself up opposite me. A brief smile and then he looked down at his phone. 

I couldn't stop looking at him. His brown hair swept across his face as he looked down at his phone. He looked up, I looked away. He stretched his body to look past me. I couldn't move, nerves filled me up as he straightened himself again. As the train pulled up to the next stop, his body almost fell forward but he quickly held on to something to stop that from happening. I shifted a little, he looked up and smiled again.

I could tell, even without seeing my own reflection, that my cheeks were burning red. My bag began to hurt my shoulder, I let it slide down my back and hit the floor. I leaned back and put my earphones in. He kept checking his phone I wonder if he's talking to his girlfriend? I looked out of the window, trying to avert my gaze. He moved his body again to look past me before sending another text. I was about to open my mouth to tell him there were seats in the car behind him however a gust of wind rushed past me as a boy with black hair rushed up to the smiling boy. He pushed his phone into his pocket.

"Daehyun, why are you all the way down here?" 

"I thought you guys were in this car" his voice was soft as he spoke.

"No, we're in another carriage. We saved you a seat! Come on!" the boy with black hair began walking. He bent down and started rummaging through his bag. He began writing something down before standing up and pulling his bag onto his shoulder. He began following his friend. As he brushed past me, he pushed a piece of paper into my hand. He smiled. 

Not looking back, he disappeared into another carriage.

I quickly opened up the crumbled piece of paper:

Have a nice day and smile! 

I waited for the train to pull up to the final stop before I rushed off, clutching the piece of paper. I looked around but I couldn't see him. As more people poured off the train, the crowds pushed me towards the escalators. I looked around again, but yet there was no sign of him. I wanted to return his smile. As I passed through the gates, I looked around once more, he could've been right behind me. But he wasn't, he was gone. I pushed the piece of paper into my pocket before beginning the walk to my university.

Maybe I'll see him again tomorrow I thought as I smiled.