oo2

Behind the Scars

oo2

 

 

The boy made a grimace that somewhat looked like a pout. Red tsk'ed and turned back to the untouched books. Then, his mood completely changed and he brightly smiled again.

"So what are you doing?"

He peeked over her shoulder and she rolled her eyes.

"What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Just making casual conversation." He shrugged.

Red ignored him and continued doing her work, while at the same time, Luhan was wandering about, curiously looking at the books scattering here and there. The atmosphere was awkward, but Luhan was the one who felt it more as Red didn't really give a care. Luhan went through an alley and eyed the books one by one. His fingers lightly touched the rigid paperbacks and stopped on a particular book.

"You know why I love books so much?" His soft and quiet voice echoed on the thick walls. Again, she tried to block his voice from getting inside her ears, but how could she when it was the only noise she could hear in contrast of the silence of the shop?

She didn't want to hear what he had to say, "No, I don't really-" But he cut her off.

"It feels like I'm alive." 

She stopped doing her work for a second while her lips formed a thin line, but she quickly brushed the thoughts away and went back to placing the books.

"The stories living inside those pages, after I read them... They somehow become different parts of me."

I know.

He continued, "And each stories, they give me the chance to live things I would or could never do in real life."

Yeah, it does.

It was quiet for a moment until he laughed boyishly and it made her give him a glare from breaking in her thoughts.

"What's so funny?" she unconsciously frowned.

He shook his head, "No, it's just that-" he paused, as if deep in thought, "It sounds ridiculous. That I'm living through books while I'm alive and breathing in reality compared to those easy and breakable pages." He took a breath, "No?" 

The sun came in through the round shaped window at the front of the store. The rays of sunlight were warm against their skin and dust could be seen flying through it. Red inwardly groaned at the presence of the sun. She held the end of her sleeves and pulled them further down her arm, not liking the feeling of warmth brushing off her pale skin. Luhan had the time to glance at her wrists before she was able to cover them, and he slightly clenched his jaw.

'They're still there', he thought, sadly.

"What?" Her voice made him widen his eyes.

"Did I said that out loud?" His eyes were innocently big and Red raised a brow at him.

He added with a stutter," You can't- you c-can't read my mind... Can you?" His last question made him slightly alarmed. Red had a poker face on the whole time, but she let out a stiffled laugh. And then, snorted.

"Did you just snort? Did the ice princess just laugh?" Luhan kept indirectly provoking her and she went back to her usual self.

"And did you just ask me a stupid question to make me snort?"

She huffed and fidgeted in her crouching position.

A smile took place on the boy's face and Red wanted nothing more but to push his cheek on the dusty old ground.

 

 

The sun was now gone when the girl had finished her work. And surprise, surprise, Luhan was still there.

"I'm reading." Was his excuse for her whenever she tried to kick him out. But now she really had to get rid of him. She closed the main lights, surrounding the room and left the one in the center opened. After closing the cash register and safely putting it away, she walked to the front door and securely locked it. Luhan, aware of her usual routine, got up and dusted his pants before placing back the book he had in his hands.

"Aren't you going up?" He asked since the house was up the store. Even if he knew she wouldn't casually reply, he felt as though it was normal for him to ask her these things. Red walked out back and locked it after Luhan came out.

"Where are we going?" he trailed behind her while she shoved her hands in her jacket pockets. She sighed and decided to let him follow her for the first time. If he wanted to know what she usually did, maybe it would finally make him leave her alone.

During their walk, they passed through dark alleys and abandoned-like places. After a 20 minute walk, a building, old and rusty from the years, had music booming through the entrance door. A tall man with black glasses and a muscled built stood at the foot of it. Red halted before him and he eyed her for a few seconds before recognizing her and letting them pass.

"Are you sure this is safe?" Luhan whispered loud enough for her to hear even when the bass was deafening to any living creature with ears.

"If you're too much of a wuss, just leave." Her voice was cold and monotonous, much to his disappointment. He stopped walking and let out a heavy sigh. He shook his head and looked up again.

"Damn it." He cursed because there were too many people hanging about that he couldn't differentiate her from the others anymore. He had lost her.

 

 

"Saera!" A voice yelled out. 

The girl stood still and cursed under her breath, "." She quickly turned her back to the person, praying it wasn't the one she tried to lose on her way here.

That was until someone surprisingly hugged her shoulders tightly, "Saera? Are you trying to avoid me? I thought I was your best friend!" The boy feigned hurt and he pouted at her.

She scoffed a laugh, secretely relieved, and pushed his head, "Of course. I just didn't want to see your annoying face, brat." She joked.

"I'm older than you, you're not even supposed to call me brat, you brat."

"Baekhyun," she paused, "-just shut up." 

Byun Baekhyun. The only person who knew about her life from beginning till end. And the only one she let him call by her real name. He worked for her parents as her personal tutor and left the darn place when she did. By now, he was the only person she knew she could trust and the only one who could still make her feel like she still had purpose. 

Then, Saera realized that she had lost Luhan, for real this time.

'Let's just hope he doesn't get hurt too much', she thought.

"But what are you doing here so late? It's a school night." He stated with a menacing voice, but his eyes were shining with mischief.

"I dropped out of school."

"What? So all that tutoring for nothing?" He shrieked and she flinched. Even though it was loud, his voice could make eardrums bleed when he wanted.

"God, bro. At least my mind is not filled with stupidities. Besides your face," she smiled mockingly and he mimicked her.

"I can't believe you still call me bro. You're a girl, not a dude."

"Oh, so you want me to call you op- opp- UGH," She stopped mid sentence and made a gagging noise while he scrunched up his nose.

"God, no. That, would be plain disgusting coming from your mouth."

"No , Baek."

Baekhyun laughed and then stopped, "But hey," he threw an arm over her shoulders, "-my friends told me they saw you come in with a guy? Who is it? I didn't even know you liked guys. Period." He wriggled his eyebrows.

Red scowled and hit his arms, "You idiot. I'm still a girl for crying out loud."

Baekhyun muttered some curses because of her hit and asked again, "But who's the guy? I think I've seen him before." He frowned in thought.

She made a noise, "I don't know. He's just this guy who keeps pestering me and following me around."

"That kind of sounds like a stalker Saera." Baekhyun smirked and she pinched the bridge of her nose.

She kept silent and he continued, "What? You don't think so? Ah... well he's lucky to even be able to stand near you."

Saera blinked and looked at him. His voice was different and she didn't understand, "What do you mean by that?"

Baekhyun's blank face broke into a smirking one, "He's lucky because you didn't beat him up yet."

He broke into laughter and she gaped in disbelief, "I don't beat everyone up okay!"

"Says the one who beats everyone up."

"You're an ."

"But you love this anyway~" he said in a sing song voice. She wanted to hit him again but he easily moved away.

Suddenly, the crowd became loud and her attention went to the person walking on the stage. The microphone made a noise which made the crowd die down a little.

"Yo yo yo party people!" The host yelled to the audience and they cheered in response.

"We got some badass show for you tonight! More than 50 dancers auditioned to dance right now," he emphasized 'right now' by pointing on the stage, "-and we got you some exclusive stuff right here." He winked and squeals from the girls in the crowd could be heard.

Red shook her head disapprovingly, while Baekhyun whistled loudly to the host.

"Only the best have been chosen for you and it's gonna be the best show you've seen so far! So get ready for our first runner-up..."

A weird silence took over until he revealed the name, breaking the heavy tension he had built, "Kai!"

"WOO! Kai! My man!" Baekhyun howled and laughed hysterically, like it was the funniest thing in the world while...

Red blinked in a frozen state of shock, "What. What?" She emphasized on the second 'what' in utter disbelief.

 

 

Saera stood with agape. Did she really have to run into this guy when she already had another one following her?

This is ridiculous. She glanced at her said friend who was still howling for 'Kai' and scowled silently at him. He was completely oblivious to the girl besides him and how annoyed she felt at the moment.

"Come on!" He took her hand without looking at her when he spoke. She tried to shrug him away, but he kept a tight grip to keep her close. 

She groaned and tried to pass through the sea of people as he made way closer to the dance floor, "Baekhyun just-"

"Shush! They're about to start!" He whispered-yelled at her and she forced her fist not to collide with the side of his face.

She heaved a tired sigh and let her eyes wander around. When she saw someone she recognized at the opposite side from her, she raised her brows, impressed he actually survived till now.

Hmm. Maybe he's not that much of a dolt than I thought. She scoffed when he stepped on someone's foot, trying to see what the ruckus was about. He bowed furvently and she didn't need to look at his face to know he kept apologizing for his mistake.

"-and he's really good. Wai- Yah! Are you even listening to me?" A finger poked at her temple and she shoved the hand away from her face.

"I don't really care about the nonsense you're talking about." She gave him a look and he clicked his tongue at her attitude.

"You're such a rude woman. Did I raise you like this? I think not."

"Wha- Raise me? Really? You took most of my money to pay for your stupid dates, you ."

He smiled smugly and cooed, "And what a good kid you were back-"

Saera put a hand over his mouth and asked him rhetorically, "When will you ever shut that trap of yours."

Baekhyun made a grimace and grabbed her hand from his face, "Your hand tastes disgusting. God. Did you even wash them?" He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and made an over exaggerating gagging gesture.

She rolled her eyes, "I never told you to-"

"Oh! They're starting!" He shook her shoulder, his mood instantly changing. She was about to complain again when the music started with a slow melody, getting her attention. The song, she recognized it instantly.

It had once been hers.

Then she saw him slowly make his way to the middle of the floor. People didn't utter a single word, captivated by the strong aura he emitted. Sighs and squeals from girls could be heard when Kai stood still, waiting for the beat to pick up.

Baekhyun broke away from his daze and said near her ear, "Wasn't that also your song?" Saera ignored him, and he understood without needing her reply. He nodded with his lips formed in a thin line before looking back at his friend in the middle of the spotlight.

Kai started to move a few seconds after the music had begun. His moves were slow but went well with the soft melody of the song. Saera let out the breath she unconsciously held in and let her eyes follow his every move. The way Kai danced along the music hypnotized most of the spectators and she knew how it felt to be the one able of doing so. The strong and powerful aura he emitted made the crowd watch in awe and girls admired with much excitement.

"Hey..." She heard Baekhyun's whisper near her ear and stiffed.

"I heard that someone walked on the dance floor while a performer was still doing his routine." Saera frowned at his comment and looked at him from the corner of her eyes.

He raised her brows at her 'really?' look, "I'm serious! It's a rule. The performers get money from dancing here. So if to say that one is to just jump in on their routine well," he stared into her eyes with mischief radiating from them, "it's turned into a dance battle."

"So?" She asked unnaffected.

"So!" He whispered louder, "The person who challenges the dancer and ends up winning, gets the money and gets a shot to perform here from then on." He beamed at her.

She raised a brow and thought he was delirious, "Why are you telling me this Baek?"

He facepalmed himself and sighed, "Are you stupid or stupid Saera."

She rolled her eyes and looked at Kai who was halfway through his dance.

"Saera. You should challenge the guy to a dance battle, win and get money to have a better life." The girl snapped her head towards Baekhyun who looked at her expectantly and hissed, "Are you crazy? Don't go there again. You ing know why." She felt her cheeks get hot from anger and didn't want to burst. Not here. He didn't talk for a moment and Saera was glad he didn't say anything else. He knew her, and so he didn't need to push her buttons. Until he spoke again, much to her dread.

"Saera," he took a deep breath and she looked at him with an annoyed glare, "I'mreallysorryforwhatI'maboutotdobutthisisforyourowngood." 

Before she was able to ask what he was talking about, she felt his hands push her forward, resulting in her stumbling on the floor and making everyone gasp. With her eyes shut, she clenched her fists and jaw silently wishing Baekhyun hadn't done what she thought he did. The music had abruptly stopped and she could feel all the stares burning through her, but one specifically. Scoffs from Kai's fangirls were heard which made something boil inside her.

"Who does she think she is?", "Did she just stop Kai oppa's routine? That little-"

Their voices turned into whispers when she heard his steps get closer to her and his voice spoke up, filled with confusion, "What are you doing here?"

Saera looked up and opened to speak when the host cut her off, "Well well well... Isn't this just a turn of events!" He walked through the stage and jumped down, closer to the two on the dance floor.

"Who might this young lady be?" Saera didn't move an inch nor get up from her awkward position. Wanting no more but to crawl and hide somewhere where no one could find her. Whines of protest and anger from the girls were heard and the host hush them, "Now now ladies! No need to get jealous." He seduced them with a smile and Saera grimaced. The host crouched down, pushing Kai a bit in the process and said with a low voice only for her to hear, "You might want to introduce yourself now when you just disturbed our most costly dancer tonight, hm?" Something in his eyes showed that this man wasn't as playful as he really seemed. She glared back and he opened his mouth to ask again when someone answered for her.

"RED! Her name is Red!" Saera's nose flared at the voice and she shot up, ready to swear at him when the host spoke again.

"Great! Everyone, Little Red here," he gestured her and Saera shook her head at his lame play on words with her name, "-is challenging our own Kai to a dance battle! Let's welcome her warmly!" She noticed the sarcasm in his voice and made a mental note to bring Baekhyun to hell with her.

"But I never-" A hand clasped shut and she widened her eyes, flabbergasted.

Kai smirked with no emotion, "You should stop talking when you've already done so much. Alright?" He cocked his head and turned his back at her, walking near the stage.

She felt something in , not allowing her to speak properly and stuttered out, "I-I... This is-isn't wha..." Frustrated, she groaned in her palms and took long deep breaths to try and calm herself down. The microphone made a noise and everyone whined at the screech.

"Sorry guys. My bad!" The host chuckled and sighed, "Now." He looked over to Saera and explained, "Most people here know the rules, but I take it for granted that some don't." He directed his last comment to her. People shook their heads at the girl standing in the center stage and Kai laughed without any humour in his voice. Saera opened her eyes and let herself watch the audience all around her. Many guys filled the room but tonight, the girls were too much. Turning her head a bit to capture their expressions, her eyes landed on a boy she had almost forgot about.

For the first time, his child-like face looked hard and she couldn't see the emotion in his eyes. They seemed distant and cold, much the opposite from the usual look he gives her. Then, Luhan looked down at his feet, while his lip quickly and up again at her again. He slightly shook his head with a sigh and turned around to leave.

'What's up with him?' Saera thought and wondered if she did something wrong. But nothing came to mind. 'It's better if he leaves, anyway.'

"-I hope you'll do well Miss Red. Right guys?"

. She hadn't listened to any word he said and felt nervous all of a sudden.

"Wait, but I didn't understand!" She yelled over the loud audience. But unfortunately. Her voice was mixed with their nonstopping screams.

"-SAERA! SAERA!" She heard and franctically looked for the owner of the voice. When she found him, she ran and let him explain to her quickly

"God woman! Why weren't you listening?" Baekhyun scolded.

"I had my mind elsewhere okay?" She hissed back.

"Whatever," he shrugged her off, "Look. Just dance to the beat and take note that Kai can cut in your routine whenever he wants. But you can too! The point of the game is to try and gain the most attention possible, from the audience, with killing moves because they're the judges in the end."

Saera nodded to show she understood, "Okay. So I just dance like no tomorrow?"

Baekhyun smiled a toothy grin and messed her hair a bit, "Exactly. Thank god you're not stupid- OW DANG IT." He cursed.

"Don't you call me stupid you idiot!" When she felt like she could finally face everyone and do something she had long forgotten, nausea spread through her in an instant. She faced Baekhyun, "Baek. I can't. I have to go-" she wanted to run in the crowd to leave but he blocked her by grabbing her arms.

"Saera, no. Stop. Stop!" He yelled when she pried her hands away and she froze. "Please don't runaway. I know it's been a hurtful memory in your past, but I know you've longed for it just the same." Softness dripping in his voice. Her hands were shaking from all the memories that flooded her mind and she was afraid she'd start hyperventilating, showing how vulnerable she actually was.

Baekhyun knew how much it affected her and quickly enfulged her in a reassuring hug, "Breathe. Saera., breathe." When he realised his gentle tactic wasn't working, he roughly grabbe her shoulders and looked into her eyes with frustration. "If you don't pick up your ing pride and confidence right now, I'll seriously think you're just another ing sissy," he nodded his head at the crowd, "-like these people watching others live their dreams instead of making theirs come true." He saw the flicker in her eyes and knew his words had reached her exactly where he wanted to.

The host raised his obnoxious voice, "Miss Red please get on the dance floor or," and he looked at the crowd, "-have you decided to back out?" Everyone roared in laughter and Saera wanted nothing but to punch that filthy ' face.

She still faced Baekhyun, "I'll show them moda ers." Her voice was incredibly low and he knew she was going to give her all.

He laughed and patted her head, "Show 'em why you're called Red." He winked playfully and she gave him a small smile.

In a second, Saera confidently walked to the center stage and looked into the eyes of the host with determination in her face, "Bring it on." And her gaze went to the boy leaning in the stage by the right. Kai leaned back and crossed his arms with a cocky smirk.

The host raised a brow as well, acting as if he was impressed, "Well then. Let's get on with the show! Music, cue." He nodded his head at the dj and everyone anticipated to see who would win.

But mostly, who would lose.

 


word count: 3800 

January 24th 2014