The Psychology of Me (JeTi)

Figments of My Imagination

I’ve always been a fan of Psychology. The mystery of the mind baffles me, the way people think, feel and say is…a beauty.

 

So, it wouldn’t be shocking if I took a class about it, right?

 

Well, my best friend, Tiffany Hwang, decided to take the class too, just for the fun of it.

 

“Jessi! Can you answer these questions for me?” she asked. We were situated inside the noisy cafeteria, surrounded by our friends.

 

She handed them to me. The questions were those of a normal “psychology test.”

 

I breezed through them, trying to as honest as possible. Fany’s grades depended on this.

 

Do you often feel like you’re alone?      YES

 

Do you make friends easily?      NO

 

Do you feel as if nobody understands you? YES

 

Are you and extrovert?                 NO

 

Are you an introvert?                    YES

 

I saw Tiffany peeking through my answers, excited to psychoanalyze me.

 

“Here,” I said, passing her my paper. She took it happily and read over them, flipping through her notes to find answers.

 

I grabbed some of Sooyoung’s fries and ate them quickly before she could see. Sunny gave me a thumbs up in successfully stealing a Shikshin’s food.

 

The lunch bell rang and Tiffany still hasn’t said anything about my test. She stood up and I grabbed her bag, to help her.

 

We walked through the full hallway before I finally asked her. “What’s up?”

 

She pouted and smacked my arms.

 

“OW! WHAT THE HECK?!” I screamed, rubbing my arms.

 

She crossed her arms and began walking to her psychology class, to the left of the hall.

 

“HEY!” I wanted to run after her, ask her why she brutally bruised my arm, but when the 2nd bell rang—signaling the start of 3rd period—I made a dash to my English class, which was on the next building.

 

#

 

“Well, I’m glad you can join us Ms. Jung,” my teacher commented.

 

I gave her my fakest guilty smile and proceeded inside the class. The students snickered, as I sat down. Murmuring about how lucky I am to be the favorite.

 

“You okay?” Sunny asked. I nodded and pointed to the front of the class, I was in enough trouble as it is.

 

During the lesson, I can’t help but feel weird. Why was Tiffany so upset about the test?

 

“Ms. Jung,” my teacher called out.

 

“Yes, Ms. Shin?”

 

“Do you mind telling us again what a paradox means?”

 

I nodded and stood up. “It’s a statement that contradicts your belief on the outcome, but might be true in some cases.”

 

The class scoffed loudly, hating the fact that I knew the answer. It wasn’t my fault. If they started reading books rather than partying all the time, it would help their underdeveloped brain quite much.

 

“Thank you. Now please, at least pretend to listen to me.” She gave a little laugh and I smiled just a tiny bit.

 

After a few more lessons, she gave us free time. I turned to Sunny and pouted.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Fany’s ignoring meee,” I don’t usually whine. But, Sunny knows my feelings for Tiffany, and I know about hers for Taeyeon. We understood each other in this situation.

 

“Why?”

 

“After I gave her the test paper, she just started ignoring me.”

 

“Maybe it’s what the paper contains,” Sunny reasoned out.

 

“What? She’s mad about the fact that I feel lonely?”

 

#

 

“I’M MAD ABOUT THE FACT THAT YOU FEEL LONELY!!!”

 

Okay, maybe Sunny was right.

 

I rubbed my ears gently, watching Tiffany pace around my room. I forced her to come home with me and explain her attitude. Now here we are, in this situation.

 

“Why?!?! What is it to you?”

 

She stopped shuffling and stared at me. “Why? Am I not your friend?”

 

I shook my head. “Tiffany, don’t twist my words.”

 

“Twist? You just said ‘What is it to you?’ what’s that supposed to mean then? THAT YOU DON’T THINK I CARE FOR YOU!”

 

I jumped and covered . She was being too loud.

 

“I’m sorry! It’s not my fault I have no prior experience of how to interact and how to read my friends!”

 

Tiffany stopped struggling after I said that. She looked at me with twinkling eyes. She had an idea.

 

She pried my hands off and squealed. “I’LL TEACH YOU HOW!”

 

“W-what?”

 

“We’re going out tomorrow! I’ll teach you how to interact with people and read their signs.”

 

“Signs?”

 

“I’ll pick you up at 10! Bye, Jess.” She kissed my cheek and ran out.

 

I was too dazed to even acknowledge the fact that I was forced to wake up early to go on a date with my best friend.

 

#

 

“Come on, don’t sulk.” I crossed my arms and looked out of the window.

 

Tiffany nudged me, ignoring the fact that she was driving.

 

“I still don’t see why you need to ‘teach’ me how to read people,” I said.

 

Tiffany parked her car near the entrance of the mall. She stopped and turned to me. “For someone who’s so interested in Psychology, you don’t really read people as well.”

 

I looked at her uninterestingly. “Your smile varies on the situation or the people you’re giving it to. Your eye-smiles now are more of a show than of truth. You give it to people who need it, or to people who you need to deceive. You have this…weird way of fidgeting when you’re nervous or excited. You cling on to people who you feel attached to. You’re not afraid of telling people how you feel, but not about them. You blabber when a person is cute, or handsome. And finally,” I said and turned to her, “Your eyes twinkle when you get an idea.”

 

I smirked when she was stupefied. I opened the door and flicked her forehead. “I’ll be in Barnes ‘N Noble if you need me.”

 

#

 

I scrolled over the best sellers’ area in the book store. Nothing I haven’t read yet, really.

 

I sighed, might as well check some classic books.

 

“JESSI!”

 

“SHHHH!!!” the crowd hissed.

 

I hid behind a shelf of “self-improvement” books to avoid being caught. Seriously, why does Tiffany have to be so loud?

 

“JESSSSSIIIIII!!!” she screamed again, louder this time.

 

“HEY, MISS! CAN YOU STOP?” an ahjussi said.

 

I peeked through the cracks and saw Tiffany huff and pout. “Welll, ahjussi, have you seen my blonde friend? It’s not that hard since she’s really pretty. Might even be the prettiest girl you’ve ever seen.”

 

I blushed with Tiffany’s description of me. Seriously, this girl will be the death of me.

 

The old man simply shook his head and told her to keep looking, only quieter this time.

 

She kept on pouting and walked to the direction of the Psychology books. I smiled secretly and followed her silently. When she stopped walking and crossed her arms, I slipped my arms around her waist and rested my chin on her shoulder.

 

“What’s up, Tiff?”

 

She turned and pointed accusingly at me. “YOU!”

 

I raised a brow, “What about me?”

 

“Why are you ditching me on our date??”

 

I was taken aback, “This is a date?”

 

She gaped and shook her head. “You honestly have no idea about the people around you, huh?”

 

“Well,” I started, “if I’ll ever be somewhere in Psychology, I’ll probably in research.”

 

She held my hands and dragged me out. “That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t know the basic stuff about people.”

 

I was confused. Why was this so important to her?

 

“Okay.”

 

#

 

“That,” Tiffany said, pointing to a quarrelling couple. I noticed the tears around the girl’s eyes also a red palm mark on the guys face.

 

“She realized that her boyfriend’s cheating on her, since we’re near the food court, it’s safe to say that she saw him with a girl.”

 

Tiffany grinned proudly at me. “Then why do you think he followed after her?”

 

I hummed and looked for more clues. The body language, the moving lips, what could it be?

 

“I don’t know,” I said. If he cheated on her, then why on earth would he follow her when he got caught? Explaining won’t do anything.

 

Tiffany frowned. “Don’t you believe in second chances?”

 

I shook my head. “He had his chance. He blew it. What more would they accomplish?”

 

I watched the couple again. The girl shook her head, pushing the guy away. The guy seemed helpless, trying to persuade his ex-girlfriend on something.

 

“What is he had to do it? What if he was forced?”

 

“Honestly? He should have told her. I don’t believe in those ‘I had to’ reasons.”

 

Tiffany laughed at this.

 

“What?”

 

“You can’t judge them, Jessi. You don’t know what happened.”

 

“And I probably will never. As a psychologist, if I ever be one, I can only judge my clients—and their stories—on their tales. I may never meet the people they tell me about, I may never understand what goes on in their heads, but I can tell through outer appearance, outer attitude what could have happened. An educated guess; a hypothesis, I can only make those.”

 

Tiffany kept mum while we kept watching the ex-lovers. The girl finally left, while the guy stood there, dumbfounded.

 

“You know what, Jessi?”

 

I turned to her. “What?”

 

“You…you’re like a machine.”

 

I was confused. “How?”

 

“You let facts control your life. You don’t even think of how people may feel, or how you should feel,” she paused and turned to me. “Will you ever let your feelings decide and not think of anything else?”

 

I observed her and saw another trait she had. Her face sad and hopeless, as if she knew my answer already.

 

“Have you forgotten? Feelings? I have none.”

 

#

 

The ride home was silent; Tiffany refused to even look at me. I screwed up bad. But, I had no choice. She wanted me to be honest, right? And I was.

 

“Steph—“

 

“Don’t,” she cut me off, stopping the car in front of my house.

 

“Fany,” I sighed. “Let me explain.”

 

“I get it, Jess. You’re like a robot, tch, I can’t believe I fell in love with a robot,” she said.

 

I went mum. Love? Me?

 

“You can leave now, Jess.”

 

I didn’t even move. Love? Me? How can she love me?

 

“Jessica. I’m serious. Out.”

 

I only moved my face so that I can look at her.

 

“Jess—“ I moved my lips on to hers. Trying to fight the feeling of millions of butterflies on my stomach.

 

I sat back down on my seat, still looking at her.

 

Tiffany looked like a gaping fish. “What…was—“ I kissed her again, longer this time. I started moving my lips against hers, passionately kissing the daylights out of her.

 

She pushed me off, touching her lips. “WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?!”

 

“I—I thought you felt the same way,” I mumbled.

 

“Kissing me out of the blue and—wait, felt the same way?”

 

I nodded and went out of the car, moving to her side and pulling her out. I hugged her and caressed her back. “I love you, Hwang Miyoung.”

 

She sobbed and pulled me closer. “I-I thought you were a robot. I could never read you.”

 

“Well, I guess you’re the Psychology of Me.”

 

She giggled and kissed me. “Did you read my signs?”

 

I nuzzled my nose on to hers before responding, “What signs?”

 


--inspired by my psychology test--

HELLO EVERYONE!!! *bows* Thank you sooo much for the people who are anticipating this. I appreciate it sooo much.

This story...is..well..something I wish that could happen to me, ya know? I mean, I guess THERE ARE people that are there for me, but you don't want to annoy them, right? I don't know. I may be over thinking again.

But, enjoy this shot!!! I have soooo many more on the go. Lol. I have like, easy classes. Just, reading old books (books from the 19th century old) is such a hassle.

PLEASE DO TELL ME OF WHAT YOU THINK, THANKS! I LOVE YOU GUYS! SHOUT OUT'S TO SUBSCRIBERS AND UPVOTERS :D

*too lazy to edit today*