Melody (Key)

50 Key one shots

Title: Melody
Characters: Key
Wordcount: 485
Summary: It was a melody that reminded him of home.


Kibum shivered as he tried to make himself a way through the snow, the cold seeping through his tattered coat. Today had been a bad day. It had been very quiet at his usual spot, and the police had chased him away before he had even managed to gather the money required for a night at the shelter. So now he was doomed to spend the night on the streets, hoping that he wouldn’t be dead by morrow. He had long passed the point where he felt like that would matter much though. It would be a nice end to his suffering.

When he was young Kibum had lived a peaceful life. It had been just him and his mother, but she had loved him and done her best to have them survive with the small amount of money she had. Not too long after his thirteenth birthday, everything had gone wrong though. He had arrived at home to hear the phone ringing, only to hear the worst possible news when he picked up. His mother had had an accident at work, leaving him an orphan. The social services would be there to pick him up within the hour.

Things had been far from pleasant at the orphanage. He spent most of his time either being ignored or made to work until he collapsed. And unlike the younger ones he had not the chance of ever being adopted. After all, who wanted to take in a temperamental teenager? When he finally reached the age of 18 he was thrown out, and that is when his life on the streets began.

Since then he had managed to miraculously survive for four years, not thanks to his looks. Apparently he was too pretty to be homeless. He would rather die than sell himself though; it would have been a torture he would not be able to take.

And that is what left him here, looking for a somewhat sheltered place to sleep. He had been about to continue on his way, after stumbling over a snow covered stone, when something held him back. It was very faint, but he was sure he was there. A new burst of energy took control of him as he scampered over to wherever it came from, his eyes widening with desire, until finally his ear was pressed against the very window that separated him from the source.

It was then that the energy left him again and he sank onto the floor, his back resting against the wall. His eyes drifted closed as a small smile spread upon his lips. His mind was now filled with a melody. The simple melody that his mother had sang to him whenever he was scared or lonely, whenever he was hurt or sad. It was a melody that reminded him of the past. It was the melody that made him feel like at home.


A/N: This was totally supposed to be a Jongkey fic where Jonghyun would be the one playing the piano and then find Key outside... but it didn't feel right to continue beyond this point XD