Bitter (Key)

50 Key one shots

Title: Bitter
Characters: Key
Wordcount: 594
Summary: Many years had passed since the last time he heard that voice.


“Pff, these young kids, who do they think they are? We were much better in our days.” He muttered as he stared at the tv with disapproving look gracing his features. There was no doubt that the group of boys on the screen was doing their best to perform with upmost perfection, but all he could see were flaws.

He noticed how the blonde haired guy was a moment too late with getting into position. He noticed how the tall one failed to pass his group mate the mic, leaving the other to lip sync into an empty fist with a flustered expression. He noticed the stocky one lacked the sharpness in his dance moves making him stick out like a sore thumb. He snorted at what he saw. Some might say that people didn’t have a right to judge, but he did. After all, he’d been in that exact spot 60 years ago. He has lived through it all so he now has every right to point out any mistake.

He is about to snarl at how the blonde guy once again manages to mess up when an unexpected sound interrupts him from his current occupation. It was the sound of his phone. All he could do at first was to turn around and glare at it. Who the hell had the guts to call him? Hadn’t he made it clear to every call center that it was a grand waste of time to try to bother him with any of their products? He had enough money to last him several lifetimes and he wasn’t planning to pay a cent of it to anything that wasn’t strictly necessary. Either way though, he groaned as he got out of his chair and hobbled over to where his phone lay. Constantly on its charger so he would never forget. It wasn’t like he left his home anyways.

He glanced at the screen noticing a series of digits that popped up on his screen. The only numbers he still had stored in his contacts were those of the delivery services he made use of. Therefore his finger directly went for the green button before he pressed the device against his ear.
“What do you want?!” He roared, quite impressed with how much impact his voice still managed to have after all these years of only talking to himself and the television. He stayed quiet after that though, as the words that were spoken to him slowly registered.

It was only because of the thudding sound that he realized his phone had left his hand, now dangling from his cupboard by its charger. It was only seconds later that his body followed in a downwards motion, his face the perfect visualization of shock. A tear welled up in the corner of one of his eyes and was soon on its way down, joined by others. Time had him shaking, sobbing into his wrinkled hands.

All those years he had held on to that phone, waiting for the day that he would hear that one specific voice. The few words that would have had him running into a set of arms. Instead time had turned him into the bitter old man he was now, as he sat there on the floor sobbing his heart out. But after all these years, his waiting had finally come to an end. Though, not in the way he had wished. The voice he had heard hadn’t been the one he had hoped for. It had been the other’s wife, declaring him dead.


A/N: So I origanally wrote this as a Taekey, but I soon realized that there was no indication as to who the other was... So I left it open to interpretation~
Also, this was supposed to be the 12th prompt, but I switched them since I finished this one first. Might do that in the future with some prompts also.
Btw, I edited the picture, Sarah-in-Kpopland is my tumblr