Broken Wings (Onkey)

50 Key one shots

Title: Broken Wings
Characters: Onew, Key
Pairing: Onkey... sorta?
Summary: The storm brings Jinki an unexpected surprise.


When Jinki initially heard the loud bang he had thought it was thunder, since it had been storming all day so some thunder and lightning wouldn’t be much of a surprise. When he thought on it though, the sound seemed to be a bit off. It hadn’t been as earth shuddering and seemed to be a lot closer. He then figured that maybe a bird had crashed against his window. It made some sense since he figured that even those creatures would eventually have to give in if the wind was too strong. Hoping that the creature wouldn’t be wounded Jinki reluctantly got off his bed, where he had been reading, and headed over to his window. After opening the curtains he looked down, expecting to either see the empty floor, or a startled bird. What he did see was quite something different though. Below him lay a small person, no taller than his under arm, and seemingly unconscious.

At first he wanted to just discard the thought, assume he was seeing things. But no matter how long he stared, there didn’t seem to be any change in what he saw. So eventually he rushed downstairs and into the garden, carefully avoiding the flowers as he made himself a way through the flower beds. And there it was, the small human-like creature lying amongst the flowers. With all the care he could muster, he picked it up and carried inside, laying it down on his bed. He then sat back on his haunches and stared, not entirely sure what he should do next.

The creature that lay on his bed seemed very small and frail, but he figured that if he were to scale it to his own size, it would only just be a bit on the skinny sight. Its features seemed a bit ethereal, with high cheekbones and pale skin. It made it quite hard to deduce the creature’s gender, though Jinki’s first guess would be that it is male. The most worrying part though, was that the creature had wings, and they didn’t seem to be in a good condition. The thin membranes were bent in ways that didn’t seem right. He wanted to help, but he wasn’t really an expert when it came to wings. He guessed that it would be a similar concept as other body parts so he carefully tried to straighten the broken wings. At least now it wouldn’t hurt as much since the creature was still unconscious.

Once the wings appeared to be completely straight he carefully covered the creature with a blanket, before returning to his desk. For now he didn’t know how else he could help, so he might as well do some homework until the creature awakes.

Several hours had passed and the storm had settled when Jinki was broken out of his concentration by soft groaning coming from beside him. He quietly set down his pen and turned around just in time to see the creature open its eyes and blink at the ceiling. After a few seconds of apparent confusion it suddenly sat up, panic across his face, only to sink back as pain overtook him. For a second Jinki wondered if it had seen him, but he soon got an answer as it spoke up.

“Who are you, and how did you catch me? You don’t seem to be one of the usual hunters…”

Slightly taken aback Jinki stared at the creature a few seconds, noticing how it appeared to be shaking. It probably wasn’t as confident as it sounded.

“I’m Jinki, and I didn’t catch you. You crashed into my bedroom window, and when I went to see what happened, I found you in our garden. I’m not a hunter, I’m a student.”

It didn’t surprise him that the other didn’t seem very convinced. He just hope the creature would be able to calm down a bit, the stress probably made his injuries hurt even more.

“When I found you, your wings were kinda crooked so I tried to straighten them out a bit. I wasn’t sure if that was the right thing to do, but I figured it would be best to treat them like broken limbs. If there is anything you need just let me know, maybe some ice for that bruise?”

Jinki gestured towards the bruised arm.

“Oh, and I could also get some disinfectant for those cuts you got from the plants. I wanted to do so sooner, but I didn’t want you to get hypothermia because of the ice, or have an overdose of something since the disinfectant is made for larger people.”

The creature seemed to be contemplating as it stared at Jinki, probably weighing his options. It didn’t take too long though, since it didn’t have much of a choice. It soon lay its head down in defeat.

“I guess I can’t go anywhere with my wings like this, so I might as well hope for the best. Could you maybe bring me an ice cube and some cloth to wrap it in? And some disinfectant would be great if you could also give me some water to dilute it with.”

Jinki nodded and immediately left the room to fetch the things that had been requested. When he returned he handed them over to the smaller creature, and watched as it gingerly tended to itself. He couldn’t help being curious, but he didn’t want to scare it off even further. Eventually curiosity won him over though, as the creature went through its final movements.

“I really hope you don’t mind me asking… but who and what are you? I haven’t seen anyone like you before…”

It glanced at Jinki wearily before settling itself down, using Jinki’s pillow as a back rest.

“I’m Key, a fairy.”


A/N: Ok, usually when I start on a fic without an idea of where it's supposed to go, I end up going somewhere eventually. But this time that was not the case. Even no I don't really know what was supposed to happen or where this was supposed to go... oh well, sorry?