8. Hot Cocoa

Pink Balloons

Baekhyun stared and  baffled by Chanyeol's sudden confession. He didn't mean this. He thought the words tumbling out of Chanyeol’s mouth were going to be ideas and plans about the party--the upcoming event held at the town square. But, he get's an I love you, a phrase that was so foreign to his ears. Love was such a strong word to Baekhyun and he isn't sure if he loves him back. Chanyeol looks back at him and there's this yearn for acceptance and Baekhyun grips on the paper cup more tighter, causing the warm chocolate to splatter on his hand. He doesn't look up, he's too afraid, too much of a coward to do so.

"I love you." Chanyeol repeats but, more sternly.

Baekhyun traces his eyes to Chanyeol  trembling and lips quivering.  It's not because of the cold. He was too overwhelmed. Does he really love him? Baekhyun thought hard and his eyes began to well up turning glassy to the moonlight. His lips quivered and was unable to speak, all the words that are at the tip of his tongue can't tumble out. Does he love Chanyeol? Does he really? Or was it just a crush or some girly puppy love experience.

He wants to believe it is.

"Baekhyun, please look at me." Chanyeol suddenly grabs Baekhyun's hands, warmth suddenly soaking his cold hand.

Baekhyun flinches. "Chanyeol..." He trails off and blinks the tears away. "I--I--I'm."

There was hurt written across Chanyeol's large eyes and his lips were forced shut forming into a straight thin line, pressing a bit too hard causing his lips to turn white. Baekhyun winced at the sudden expression but,  was soon flashed into a genuine caring smile. Though he may have took the rejection really well Baekhyun knew there was disappointment written all over his face.

The taller boy moves back and removes his hands away from Baekhyun's, letting the cold air attack his fragile hand once more. He wants to reach for the hand again but, he can't--it's not right. After rejecting Chanyeol, he wants to hold his hand? Baekhyun coughed dryly and stared darkly at the mess he’d caused by gripping on the cup too tightly.

Chanyeol finally smiled sadly and looked at him in the eye. "I understand."  He simply said. "I'll wait when you're ready."

Baekhyun nodded and grinned back; more like a grimace "Thanks." he muttered.

Chanyeol regretted saying those three words. It's like being stabbed over and over again. Baekhyun didn't love him and he can see it all in his eyes. The confusion and the shock from the sudden confession. Maybe he was just lonely and needed someone. He was stupid to ask for his love, Baekhyun might be in love with the Chinese boy he recently confessed about last month. The hand holding was all just some friendly gesture, the hug, the smiles, the long gazes they shared with each other. He shakes his head at the thought and clears his throat.

Chanyeol believes he loves him and he will do anything for Baekhyun to love him back.

Baekhyun walks beside him with his hands stuffed inside his deep coat pockets. His coat was huge and it reached all the way to his knees and his head was bundled deeply in the scarf, the eyes peering through the dark looked confused and angry. Baekhyun dug his face deeper into the scarf. Chanyeol took several secret glances behind him slowing down for him to catch up. He pushes up his glasses and waits awkwardly for the bus stop. This was the first time in five months since the quiet bothered him. Baekhyun stood a couple feet behind Chanyeol and kicked the soft and fresh snow that piled up to the side.

"Chanyeol." Baekhyun suddenly called the startled giant. His heart skipped a beat. "I'm sorry."

Chanyeol shook his head and motioned for Baekhyun to stand next to him, "It's fine. I don't want to force you. I'll be here for you no matter what. I'll be here waiting."

Baekhyun grimly looked  at Chanyeol and sighed tiredly to his response. The more Chanyeol spoke the more confused he felt. Baekhyun furrowed his brows and twisted his lips. "Why do you love me?" The question suddenly slipped from his lips.

They stood silently.

"I don't think love has reasons. I just do."

Baekhyun gapes at Chanyeol's tone, his confidence boosting higher. Is this what loves does to people? Mess with their minds and make them do the most stupidest things a person can ever think of. Chanyeol's love might have been deeper than how his family loved him-- how Zitao loved him. It scared him to the point where he wants to dwindle away from Chanyeol's touch. Now he just feels like a balloon losing it's life, it's purpose. He’s not quite deflated yet.  Sparing another glance at Chanyeol the bus stops in front of them. It was expected of Chanyeol to immediately find a seat, but he sat away from the petite boy and quickly shoved his earbuds on, drowning himself with the music that was being played on his phone. Baekhyun looked at him in despair later pulling out his phone. Fiddling with the keypad the first person he could think of on the moment was Luhan.

To Luhan: I need your help.

From Luhan: What you need help on baby?

To Luhan: Can you come over? I heard you were staying over somewhere near for the holiday.

From Luhan: Sure and yeah me and Sehun are staying at some inn around this area. I'll be there at 10 the earliest.

To Luhan: Sorry for the bother and ruining your time with Sehun.

From Luhan: Oh it's okay! What are friends for. Sehunnie can wait.

He glanced back at the sleeping Chanyeol whose head bobbled and lolled to the side, struggling with himself whether to keep himself awake or sleep for the rest of the 20 minute trip. He leaned on to the chair in front of him for support and let his head hang loosely between his arms with his eyes close. All Baekhyun can do is continue to apologize and feel the guilt eating away his conscience. Minutes passed until the bus made a sudden halt, startling the dosed Baekhyun. With a yawn he reached blindly for the empty seat, realizing Chanyeol wasn't by his side but, across from him, sleeping deeply in an uncomfortable position. With the courage he shuffled at the tired boy and gently shook him awake.

He groaned and stared blindly at Baekhyun soon shoving the glasses on his face and stood abruptly. Baekhyun went ahead with Chanyeol  trailing after the smaller boy blindly, shivering at the cold that hit his face. With an another five minute walk, they took their ways without saying a word and shut their doors. Chanyeol didn't open his window.

Baekhyun flickered his lights three times to maybe catch his attention. Still there was no response. It was fine, he thought and plopped on his bed and hesitantly looked at the time strike 10. Luhan should be coming over soon and he should get washed up so he can just go  straight to bed after having some emotion help. Three minutes in the bathroom staring at his reflection on the mirror, ten minutes to clean his teeth squeaky clean, and two minutes washing his face. He walks out with a towel over his head wearing some pj's to get him started with the night.

As he walked tiredly to the kitchen, he heard a knock coming from the front door. Feeling the relief engulfing his small structure he quickly opened the door. “Lu--”

"You forgot your things." Chanyeol grinned and walked in, slowly setting the books on the coffee table and sliding the bag off his shoulder to set it on the couch.

Baekhyun blinks and awkwardly removes the towel over his head and throws it carelessly at the side. Chanyeol quickly walks out.

"You know Baek, you shouldn't be opening the door to whoever. Look through the hole or something. Check who it is first."

Baekhyun couldn't speak and just nodded. With a wave of a hand from Chanyeol, Chanyeol continued his way out saying his Good Night and shut the door. Later opening again for Luhan to come in. In surprised Chanyeol grinned at Luhan. "Well nice to see you again Hyung."

"Hey Chan Chan."

Luhan was in his pj's as well and his hair messy and brushed lazily to the side, his golden brown hair glimmers at the light that hovered above them and there was an awkward silence before they sat down on the couch. Drinking some hot cocoa. With a twirl of a finger Luhan claps his hands. "So Baekkie, What's the problem?" He emphasized his name ‘Baekkie’.

Baekhyun shrugged. "Chanyeol said he loved me." He paused and thought for a moment and tried to recap the scene in his mind. "I'm not sure what he really meant by that."

Luhan smiled softly and leaned on the couch. "Well what did you say?"

The younger blonde boy sat quietly. "I...couldn't answer."

He was suddenly slapped by Luhan on the arm. "What are you talking about! OF course you say 'I love you too'."

"You just don't say 'I love you' to a person you only knew for five months. It has only been five months!”

Luhan frowned. "Love doesn't have time, age, or limits." The frown slowly twitched up to a smile with his eyes glimmering with spark. "All it need is mutual interest.”

Baekhyun kept his mouth shut and stared blankly at the warm cup of hot cocoa that settled on the coffee table. He took a while and observed the swirling heat coming from the cup. Luhan quirked and continued with the conversation. “The problem is. You don’t love him back.”

Without a hesitation Baekhyun answered quickly. "Of course I do.” He sounded defensive than he should have.The smell of hot cocoa lingered in the cold quiet room. "I...I don't even know." He soon admitted it.

Luhan opened his mouth to speak but was rudely interrupted  by the loud ringing coming from Baekhyun’s phone.  They both stiffened and looked over the phone. Realizing it was an unknown and unfamiliar name that popped out of the screen. Luhan trailed his eyes to the other boy who quickly took the phone to his hands, the action caused him to raise a brow judging the contact name. Baekhyun smiled widely at the contact and without thinking twice. He answered it.

"Tao!"

 

-----

 

"Oh hyung!" Jongin called out and jumped out the couch, welcoming the gloomy boy with a wide smile.

Chanyeol didn't spare a glance at the boy and just waved a hand quickly heading straight to the stairs. With his body moving sluggishly and tired he noticed the bags sitting next to the door. It was Baekhyun's things they left earlier while they were heading to the the nearest town outing. It took a while to decide whether or not to come by Baekhyun's house and return his belongings. If he didn't, Baekhyun would have came and it’d be awkward. Extremely awkward. Turning his heels again he ran to the bag and shut the front door in a flash. Leaving Jongin on the same position standing with the big smile.  Dropping back on the couch Jongin frowned. “What happened to him?” He muttered quietly to himself and peeked through the window.  

Chanyeol walked slowly to Baekhyun's door and hesitantly lifted his hand to knock on the door. He knocked quietly, but loud enough to be heard from the second floor. Breathing deeply and blinking uncontrollably, the door opens. Baekhyun stood behind the door almost startled with his sudden appearance and quite embarrassed with the towel over his head. Letting him in without a word Chanyeol let out a friendly smile and set his things on the coffee table,

“You know Baek, you shouldn’t be opening the door to whoever. Look through the hole or something...Check who it is first.”

Baekhyun nodded and didn't say a word. Awkwardly rubbing the nape of his neck Chanyeol quickly shut the door and sighed deeply, closing his eyes for a minute to keep himself together and not have a mental breakdown on the spot. While massaging his temple and walking back home with his eyes closed he bumped shoulders with another person almost tripping over.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry!" Chanyeol apologized.

"Chanyeol it's fine!" Luhan calmed the panicked Chanyeol. With an exasperated sigh, Chanyeol slumped and clutched on his chest almost laughing at his stupidity.

"I should open the door for you."

"Oh it's fine! I'm pretty sure I can do it."Luhan smiled and opened the door.

"Nice to meet you again hyung." Chanyeol said his goodbyes as he turned his back from the closing door. Within seconds. He didn’t hear the older boy say his greetings. In a matter of seconds he’s back in front of his home. He couldn’t find the strength to lift his hand to the door knob and give it a turn. He just stood in front of it, helpless and small. He couldn’t handle the amount of disappointment engulfing every part of him. “I’m so stupid…Baekhyun might want to marry Zitao instead” Chanyeol muttered and laughed dryly  at his own joke.

“You’re not stupid.” The door suddenly flung open. Chanyeol jerked his head up with eyes wide with shock. Jongin huffed and pulled him in the house, throwing him hard enough to sit him on the couch.

Chanyeol breathed deeply, chest rising up and down rapidly. “Jongin!?”

“Hyung don’t let this get to you!” Jongin said exasperated, flailing his arms in circular motions. Chanyeol watched him, bewildered with Jongin sudden change of emotion. He could see Jongin stomp his foot like a silly child having their little tantrums. He continued to listen to Jongin for a couple of minutes.

“Chanyeol you can’t--”

Realizing Jongin was misunderstanding the whole situation. Chanyeol put his hand up to silence him. “Wait a minute. Jongin. What. Are. You. Talking. About?” He said in each word. Stopping each time.

Jongin puffed his cheeks. “YOU can’t let Baekhyun marry Tao!”

Chanyeol shot his eyes open. “What are you talking about? Who’s Tao?!”

Jongin suddenly stopped and dropped his hands to his side. “Wait. So Baekhyun is not marrying Tao?”

Chanyeol shrugged and groaned. “Oh my God. No, and who’s Tao?”

Jongin laughed dryly. “No one you should know about.”

Chanyeol didn’t want the conversation to slip but, he was too exhausted to continue to stay awake. His head started to throb and all he can do is wish himself to be knocked out cold. All this happened too fast. Too fast for his liking. Everything gave him a horrible headache and all he can do is mumble to Jongin to shut up and let him sink in complete silence. Jongin smiled meekly and ruffled his own hair. Sitting on the floor, legs criss crossed and he leaned on his hand. Minutes passed and it soon turned to hours. Jongin slowly drifted off losing balance and his head slipping off from his flimsy tired hands. Yawning he accidentally jostled Chanyeol causing him to jerk awake.

Jongin raised his arm in defence. “Sorry!” He squeaked.

Chanyeol groaned and scrubbed a hand on his face. Rubbing his tired eyes with his large dry hands. Nothing went through his mind and nothing good was really going through his mind. He wanted to keep the bad thoughts at the bay, where his boat sailed and stopped peacefully at. Tripping over the stairs he quietly cursed at himself and massaged his stubbed toe he managed to do at the same time. He got back on his feet and went straight to his room. Flopping on his bed and groaning at the pain. He didn't got the chance to shed his coat off and he hadn't bothered changing his attire into something suitable for the night. He opened his eyes one last time and peeked out the window, hoping to get a glimpse of the boy. Somehow inside of him he feels like there's still a chance for him to make Baekhyun fall for him, but it's obvious enough that Baekhyun had someone else. Tao and Zitao. He thought for a moment and sat dumbly on his bed. He made strange gurgle noises until he finally slapped himself hard on the forehead.

"Tao is Zitao."

Looking frantically at the time he set the timer on. Park Chanyeol loves Baekhyun and he will find a way to make Baekhyun loved him back. He can't back down. 12:00 a.m December 20, 2012 was the day he vowed to gain acceptance.

He's not a deflated balloon. He still has his purpose.

 

 

____________________________________

A/N: HEYYY GUYSS!! OH MY GOD I'm so sorry for not updating and yeah.

I had this all drafted in a month. Sorry to disappoint. I guess you guys noticed I haven't introduced Tao in the story.

Well he's almost comming. I put him kind of late for a reason cx.