I Will Follow You into the Dark - Deathcab for Cutie

A Story to the Lyrics

Based on the song I Will Follow You into the Dark by Deathcab for Cutie. A Kryber based story. Requested by sorabozu.

NOTE: Please understand that the storyline does not imply the true meaning of the song. It is only simply to keep the plot flowing.


Krystal's POV:

One car accident was all it took to take everything away from me. To take the one I loved, unconditionally. Amber Josephine Liu.

"Family and friends, we are all gathered here in memory of the prosperous life of Amber Josephine Liu."

I could hear the pastor's voice slowly beginning to fade out and disappear from my head. I focused on nothing, but the wood stained casket just a few feet in front of me.

The casket that held my Amber.

It had only been three days after the accident, three days without her.

We both didn't see that drunk driver coming, it all happened to fast for either one of us to process. Too fast for either one of us to avoid the impact on the driver's side of our car. Too fast for me to pull her to safety.

I remember it clearly. Amber turned her head, as if it were in slow motion, screaming my name. "KRYSTAL!" before everything changed.

My head throbbed with searing pain, but I didn't flinch. I'd been temporarily discharged from the hospital to attend Amber's funeral, and had been told that from the recorded data I have been diagnosed with a light brain hemorrhage.

"We will now have family members first and then friends of Amber bid their goodbyes, before lowering the casket." The pastor took a few steps back and bowed his head.

Amber's parents were the first to approach the casket, her father supporting the weeping mother. Her mother's knees fell to the ground as her her sorrow filled cries filled the morning air. "Darling, please get up..." I could hear the father whisper into his wife's ear. He wasn't crying, although from the color and puffiness of his eyes, it was quite obvious that a few tears had been shed the night before.

"NO! AMBER PLEASE! NO! NO!" she repeatedly yelled from the top of her lungs as hiccups and sniffles were staged in between. Her father soon pryed her release on the wodden creases off and dragged her into his arms, sheltering her from everyone's gazes.

Jackie was next to come into contact with her sister's casket, she stood silent and calm. I had never seen her without a smile plastered on her face. She placed one hand on the wooden surface, dragging it from the top to the center.

"Goodbye, baby sister." she muttered under her quivering breath. Her bottom lip began to shake from supressing her tears in public, though as her back faced me I could hear her quiet sobs unravel.

Person after person had bid their goodbyes to Amber, leaving only me to remain.

"Krys?" I was shaken out my trance and was repeated called out by a voice. I directed my glance towards the source, revealing Jessica motioning me that it was time.

The crowd was silent as I struggled to maintain my balance lifting off the folded chair. My Unnie followed close behind, ensuring I wouldn't fall backwards or forwards.

My steps shortened as the distance began to close between me and Amber's casket, I felt numb. The one I love. The girl who I dreamed of spending my whole life with was just before. Laid down into her eternal slumber.

I pressed my palms down onto the cold glossy surface and sat myself beside it on the mossy ground. I didn't care if my dress were to get dirty. I didn't care at all.

"Hey, Dork..." I could feel a small tug on the ends of my lips as I greeted her.

"So this is it, huh?"

I rested my head against the edges of her casket and traced my finger down the wooden slit. "I'm gonna miss you, you know that?"

A sudden wave of tears crashed over me, sending the waterworks down my reddened cheeks. I gripped onto the sides with more and more pressure. Jessica aided me back on my feet, "Krystal..." I waved her off and leaned over, shifting my body weight.

"I love you, Amber..." I pressed my lips firmly against the glossy surface.

I pulled myself away and trudged my feet back to the foldable chair. I sat in silence for the rest of the ceremony and watched as they lowered her down into that empty hole.

"I love you too, Krystal."

 

The Next Day. At the Hospital.

The pain in my head had worsened by almost every movement after yesterday. Taeyeon had informed me earlier that the hemorrhage had enlarged since our last CAT SCAN.

"Krystal, I need you to listen to me carefully. Okay? Due to such damage to your head, there is a possibility that you could slip into an imediate coma. You need to pay close attention to your actions, just to ensure you don't apply too much stress to your brain."

Her words resounded through my mind, but the only thing I should really be worried about are being left to my thoughts alone on this bed.

I slumped my head back, resting it back into the supportive hospital pillow.

Amber had really slipped from me. She's actually gone. Amber is gone.

A throb could be felt from the inside of my chest, but I ignored the pain. I shifted myself over to my side and closed my eyes in hope of subsiding the pain.

It didn't take too long before I drifted off to sleep. A very deep sleep.

FLASHBACK

"Krys, I never knew you went to a Catholic school when you were younger." Amber's voice called out from the living room.

I popped my head out from our bedroom door frame, I scrunched my eyebrows when the view of her holding up an old photograph.

"Where did you get that?!" I raced out from our room and attempted to snatch the photograph from her hands. Unfortunately, her reflexes were too great for me as she quickly avoided my grab.

She smirked and waved the photograph in front of her face, "Tell me all about it, Krys." I pouted and setteled myself down beside her, snuggling my head into the crook of her neck.

"My parent's put both Jessica Unnie and I in Catholic school when we were both young, okay?"

"Wow, Hellsica in Catholic school? I wonder how they tamed her wild self." she let out a small chuckle.

I slapped her arm and flashed her my ice glare, "Do you wanna know or not?"

She nodded her head and waited for me to continue on with my past story.

"Well, we weren't the best students there. Punishment was just another word for hand beatings with a ruler."

"Ouch. That doesn't sound too pleasant." she began to rub and massage my hands, bringing it up to her lips and landed small pecks onto them.

I blushed and pressed my lips against her round cheeks, "The nuns would always tell us the to fear God, is to be loved by God."

"That doesn't make any--"

"Exactly, but I held my tongue to prevent me from getting another lashing."  I cut her off.

"Well, it doesn't matter now. God loves you. God loves me. God loves us all, just the way we are." she smiled and leaned her face closer to mine. Her hot lips soon met mine, not too long after I followed her rythmic movements and kissed her back.

Aish, I love this girl.

I'm told that before you experience death, your life would flash before your eyes. I didn't believe it at first, only because death hadn't come my way just yet.

If it did, would I be reminded of my life with Amber?

FLASHBACK

"Come on, Princess! I've always wanted to see the Calgary Tower!." I watched as Amber waddled her way down the streets of Canada.

What a dork!

"Yah! I'm coming!" I shouted back at her as I readjusted the shoulder strap of my bag.

We waltzed into the tower's elevator and anticipated the stupendous view of Canada from the very spot to the circular room. It was beautiful.

"Krystal, look." Amber pointed out to the water and began to smile.

I've lost count to how many places we'd visited in the past four years. Our last destination was Bangkok, the place Amber had decided to propose to me. We wanted to make every second together count, so that in the future we could amaze our kids with all the places we had traveled to.

"It's beautiful, Am." the words slipped from my mouth without my eyes waiver from her face.

She looked at me confused and started to laugh, "Me or the city, babe?"

I pushed her and stuck out my tongure, "You, pabo!"

Amber closed the gap between us and pressed her lips firmly against mine, it was filled with passion and pure feeling.

"You're beautiful, Krys." Her words sounded so intent and heart warming that a tear came unnoticed.

"Ah! I didn't mean to make you cry!" She frantically paniced and wiped the tear from my face, causing me to laugh.

"You didn't! I just..." I lost my words for a moment as a smile creased onto my face, "I love you, Amber."

What's that sound? It's faint, but I can hear it.

It sound like a machine. A beeping sound. The intervals of the beeps became more and more spread apart. As if it was slowing down.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...

Huh? Where am I?

Everything had went dark after that final beep. I couldn't see anything for a while, until some figure came into view. The figure emerged from the darkness and was slowly approaching me.

"Who are you?" I called out in hope of an answer.

"Forget me already?"

That voice. I know that voice.

"Come on, really?" the voice sounded so heavenly.

It can't be.

"A-Amber?" I waited for a response, having me standing on my toes.

The figure suddenly took my hand pulled me along with it.

"Come on, follow me."

There wasn't a dount in my mind that the figure in front of me was Amber. It sounded like her, looked like her, and even smiled like her.

"W-Where are we going, Amber?"

She stopped in her tracks and turned herself to face me. Her face became clear, with that usual dorky smile creased onto that llama face of hers. She pulled me in, unexpectedly, and kissed my lips without hesitation. After pulling away, her eyes met mine.

"We're going to our paradise."

I stood speechless before she motioned me to follow her. I retook her hand and clasped them into the warmth of mine. Her hand in mine. My hand in hers.

And walked forward into our own paradise of darkness. Together.


Bleh. Okay. I cried when I wrote this okay.

It didn't turn out as well as I wanted it to be, but here it is!

Sora.