Chapter 5

Time

Changmin did remember.

 

You and me were just words uttered in a moment of ease. Both of them exhausted from the slam-packed schedule, yet too much adrenaline kept them awake. Changmin couldn’t even remember if they had been in Japan, Korea, or somewhere else entirely, just it was a hotel. They were sitting on a red couch, he remembered that detail, and he started playing with Yunho’s fingers, holding his bandmate’s hand while they waited for an interview recorded earlier in the day to air.

 

It’s going to be you and me now, was simply something that came out of his mouth as he stared at their intertwined hands.

 

Yunho looked at him and Changmin remembered how he’d been too tired for nervousness or his normal standoffish behavior as he met Yunho’s eyes and repeated himself: You and me, forever.

 

They never even kissed before that night. But when Yunho’s lips touched his, it felt just like Changmin always hoped it would. It felt right. He didn’t think twice about Yunho pulling him up from the red couch and drawing him into the bedroom or the way Yunho knowingly shoved a chair in front of the door to ensure they weren’t disturbed.

 

The interview aired and the managers said it was one of their best since the split, but him and Yunho missed it.

 

Changmin remembered how good it felt to be in Yunho’s arms, how satisfying it was when he pinned Yunho down and proved he wasn’t as innocent as the older man assumed.

 

He also remembered that awkward moment the morning after, when his better sense kicked in, and he tried to sneak out of bed and into his own room. Yunho didn’t let him. He dragged him back down and whispered into Changmin’s ear with a smile: Me and you, huh? I like the sound of that.

 

That was how it all started.

 

Him and Yunho.

 

Changmin promised himself he wouldn’t get attached, promised himself he could keep it a friendship, keep it TVXQ, with physical benefits. Then Yunho had to start calling him pet names, calling him sweetheart, and treating him as a real lover, making him think there was something more. Making him think, maybe, he could be more important than Jaejoong.

 

But he was wrong.

 

There would forever be Jae on Yunho’s mind.

 

Changmin and Yunho were never going to fit together so well. No matter what pretty lies Yunho concocted. Yunho said he didn’t lie; Changmin knew better.

 

“I don’t want to hear it,” Changmin said, his lips feeling numb as he pushed at Yunho’s chest. He was too tired to be angry. “Go enjoy your pictures. I’m going to sleep.”

 

Yunho refused to move, holding him firmly against the wall. He frowned at Changmin. “What do you want from me, sweetheart? Do you want me to delete Jae’s pictures? Fine. Do you want me to beg forgiveness? Sure. I can do that. You have to tell me what you want.”

 

“I want you to let go,” Changmin snapped and Yunho’s hands left him.

 

“See, not hard,” Yunho said as he took a step back. His jaw was stiff and Changmin realized he managed to piss his lover off. “Now what else do you need to get this out of your system so we can go back to you and me?”

 

“Maybe there never was a you and me.”

 

Changmin knew it was a mistake, one he didn’t mean. Yunho slammed him back against the wall. He let out a startled yelp as his head smacked against the drywall and he met Yunho’s furious eyes.

 

“If there’s no you and me,” Yunho said, his voice holding an underlying growl even as it sound sweet. “Then just who did I make love to the other night? Who was calling my name? Whose long legs were wrapped around my waist? Who left that kiss mark on my hip?” His hands flexed where they held Changmin’s arms. “Tell me that, sweetheart.”

 

The graphic description caused Changmin to flush with embarrassment as he reflexively glanced around for witnesses, expecting a manager or someone to have appeared.

 

They were alone.

 

“I’ll never be able to give you what you really want,” he said as his gaze fell from Yunho’s eyes to his lover’s chin. “I’m n...”

 

“After three weeks of in living hotels,” Yunho snapped, interrupting as one of his hands moved to tenderly caress Changmin’s neck, “what I want is to sleep in my room, in my bed, with my lover.” He crinkled his nose, frowning. The flash of anger was slowly fading. “And just in case you’re having anymore strange thoughts, I mean you, not Jae. You’re my lover.”

 

A shiver ran up Changmin’s spine.

 

Yunho’s thumb over his lips and he sighed. “What do you want, sweetheart? How can I make this all better?”

 

Changmin didn’t know the answer until he heard it tumbling from his mouth: “Say you love me.”

 

“Min…”

 

“Say it.”

 

“Of course I love you.”

 

“Say it!”

 

“I love you! I love Shim Changmin,” Yunho shouted.

 

Changmin’s knees buckled and he was glad for the wall holding up his weight as he slumped. A sigh escaped as the words rang in his ears.

 

Yunho’s hands held his face and their eyes met. “How can you not know that?”