Chapter 2

Time

Changmin pissy in the morning was not really news.

 

In fact, Yunho was pretty sure he might have a heart attack if his little lover ever acted truly pleasant right after waking up. So different from Jaejoong. Jae was a morning person. Eyes slitted like a cat when he opened them, playful little smirk, and always ready to be rolled over for a tumble. Changmin was considerably harder to persuade into a morning romp.

 

“. Don’t do that, Yunho,” he said, sitting up and dropping his legs over the side of the bed. Comparisons were the last thing anyone needed. Things were different. Yunho looked over at the closed door of the bathroom. The sounds of the shower audible, not a single note of singing.

 

Changmin.

 

The man really was more irritable recently. It wasn’t the schedule. They had a nearly relaxing one the last few weeks. Even had a couple nights off where they snuck out to dinner and a movie, fooled around in a park like teenagers. Changmin was even sharing more in those moments when the lights were out, his head on Yunho’s chest and his fingers gently while they talked. But a week ago, Changmin just turned off.

 

His lover wasn’t pushing him away, not exactly. He was sullen but he still let Yunho kiss him, hold him, sleep in his bed. But it felt like all the smaller intimacies were gone. He pretended to be asleep at night to avoid speaking, even when Yunho was just discussing their schedule for the next day. He looked at every offering, even something as small and simple as when Yunho gave him a drink, like it was going to be the last.

 

Betrayal.

 

That was the look in Changmin’s eyes. But Yunho hadn’t done anything to earn it.

 

The shower went off and after a few moments Changmin came out, towel over his shoulders and pulling his jeans on. “If you feel like getting one,” he said as he dried his ears, “better hurry.”

 

“Help me wash my back, sweetheart?” Yunho asked, still sitting on the bed and grabbing Changmin’s wrist when he passed near.

 

“You don’t need to call me that,” Changmin said in a low voice, his arm hanging limp. But he didn’t pull away. “Just stop.”

 

Yunho felt his heart beat once too fast and then skip as he frowned up at Changmin. “I’m not allowed to call my sweetheart, sweetheart?”

 

Changmin pursed his lips and Yunho saw the consideration in his eyes. He slid his thumb over Changmin’s wrist and he smiled open and encouragingly, pulling the man closer, one foot sliding over the carpet. If he could get his lover talking, it would be fine. He nearly had Changmin close enough to pull into his lap.

 

The knocking on the door startled them both and Changmin jerked his wrist away. “Looks like you just lost your chance for a shower.”

 

“Easier for the stylists if I don’t,” Yunho said but his smile was completely fake as Changmin went to open the door.

 

Yunho kept his smile in place as they were coached on dressing and their daily schedule gone over for the umpteenth time. He even managed a smile for fans waiting for a glimpse of them outside the hotel as they were whisked into the van.

 

Changmin put in ear buds and looked out the window to ignore him.

 

Their manager and stylist were chatting as Yunho got out his phone and sent Changmin a message: Hey. Pay attention to me.

 

He watched Changmin look down at the phone in his own hand and that press of his lips as he realized he couldn’t pretend he hadn’t notice the message come in.

 

His reply was a curt: No.

 

Why not?

 

I’m busy.

 

Yuhno smirked. It was juvenile, but at least he had Changmin’s attention. I’m sitting next to you. No, you’re not.

 

Maybe I’m thinking.

 

About us?

 

About how you should just text Jae.

 

Both their phones clattered to the floor of the van as Yunho’s hand grabbed Changmin’s arm and he jerked his lover to look at him.

 

“Where the hell did that come from?”