Chapter 6

Illusions

They were married the next day. Raymond’s brother Frankie served as their only witness. When Raymond announced their upcoming nuptials Frankie had listened without a comment. He would cast glances at Charmaine every now and then trying to perceive some reaction from her. She didn’t say a word. She let Raymond do all the talking. She spent the night at Raymond’s, leaving a short voicemail on her father’s phone telling him that she’ll explain everything when she returned in a few days. Now that they are actually married, she was having concerns whether she made the right choice.

Raymond walked into his bedroom, which now served as their bedroom. Frankie had politely offered to sleep over at a friend’s house until their living arrangements were settled. With Raymond having a wife now, the apartment wouldn’t suffice with the three f them living there together. Raymond had just finished reading the for rent ad and had circled a few prospective apartments. He will call them in the morning for a viewing.

Charmaine was sitting on the edge of the bed facing the wall lost in thought. She was nervous. When they had gone over the details of their plans, it had seemed like a great idea and she honestly felt that everything was going to work out. Now, sitting on Raymond’s bed she felt the first tinge of fear creep into her. She didn’t really know anything about Raymond except for the way he made her body feel when they were in bed. If she wasn’t feeling so forlorn she would laugh at the irony of it. Two people who are now husband in wife who knew nothing about each other except for an attraction that they can’t fight against.

Raymond touched her gently on the shoulders and she jumped up at the contact. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Charmaine smiled nervously as she fidgeted with the tie to her robe, “Don’t be. I wasn’t paying attention.”

Raymond sensed the anxiety in her and squeezed her shoulders, “Everything will be fine. Trust me.”

Charmaine met his gaze and somehow just by his look she knew that everything would be fine. She was probably just having what their called bride jitters. “I know,” she said softly.

Raymond took her hand and pulled her up, “I have a surprise for you.”

“A surprise? What is it?” Charmaine asked as she followed Raymond into the living room. On the center of the coffee table was a small gift wrapped box.

He sat down and pulled her onto his lap picking up the box during the process. When she was neatly tucked in his arms, he lifted the box to her. “This is my wedding present to you. Open it,” he instructed.

Charmaine slowly undid the ribbon that held it together and lifted the lid. Inside the box was a simple silver band ring with a row of tiny diamonds crusted on top.

“This was my mother’s engagement ring. She left it to me before she passed away. I know it doesn’t cost much but I wanted you to have something that means a lot to me.”

Charmaine was touched by his words. She picked up the ring and surveyed it. She had an eye for jewelry and this piece wouldn’t have cost more than a few hundred bucks but to her it was priceless because it was a part of Raymond. She slid it onto her ring finger and splayed her hand for his admiration, “It’s beautiful,” she breathed, “and perfect. I love it.”

Raymond looked at her like a little boy waiting for approval, “Do you really like it? I know its nothing compared to your other stuff.”

Charmaine placed her fingers on his lips, “This is the most valuable jewelry I have ever owned. Thank you.”

Raymond kissed her fingers, “It is my pleasure.” He then looked at her and his eyes darkened, “Charmaine, I want you know that although things may be tough for us now but in a few years I’ll be able to support you in the way you’re accustomed to. You have my word on it. You and our baby will never lack for anything.”

Charmaine felt tightened by the solemnity of his promise. She lifted a hand to his cheek, “I believe you.”

Raymond leaned in and kissed her tenderly on the lips. “You just made me a very happy man.”

Charmaine giggled at the notion because he had just said what she had been thinking. “No, you make me a happy woman.”

Raymond stared at and said coyly, “I know of something else that we could do to make us both even more happy.”

Charmaine looked up at him shyly. Taking that as a cue, he lifted her up in his arms and kissed her while he carried her into their bedroom.