Once Upon Another Time

skip to the good parts

Kyungsoo stares wide-eyed at the two pink lines in front of the kit she’s holding. Her head is buzzing with thoughts on how to convey the message to her husband, heart swelling at the discovery.


She has locked herself up the bathroom immediately after waking up, sneaking in the pregnancy kit she’s bought on her way home last night. She’s been thinking of telling Chanyeol about her missed period but held back after realizing that she should check first. She doesn’t want to disappoint Chanyeol and herself, after all.


But now that it’s been confirmed, she cannot contain the happiness that she’s feeling. There’s a whole different wave of emotions creeping up her chest and to be honest, she’s wondering if Chanyeol will feel the same. It’s their first child after all. She and Chanyeol’s own child.


"Babe! Aren’t you done yet?" Soft knocks can be heard.


"I-I’ll be out in a minute," Kyungsoo replies. Trembling hands, she quickly slips the pregnancy kit on her pants.

"Finally," Chanyeol says when the door creaks open, revealing a nervous Kyungsoo, hair mussed up from sleep and body clad in Chanyeol’s sweats. Chanyeol senses that something must’ve happened because he’s never seen Kyungsoo this nervous. She’s a pretty confident girl. In seconds, Chanyeol leans in and touches Kyungsoo’s narrow shoulders with his big hands.


"Babe, what’s wrong?" Chanyeol asks, worry evident in his voice. It doesn’t help that Kyungsoo started tearing up and he just can’t help but envelop the smaller in a hug.


"Come on, don’t cry, now, babe," He softly kisses the top of Kyungsoo’s head and her back.


"I-I’m just so happy," Kyungsoo starts. "and jealous because now there’s gonna be the two of us whom you’ll pamper," Kyungsoo entangles herself from the hug and looks at Chanyeol expectantly, waiting for the taller’s reaction. But instead, she’s rewarded with a confused-looking Chanyeol who looks at her like she’s on drugs.


"W-what are you talking about?" Chanyeol asks.


"I never thought you’d be this slow," She chuckles, as she tiptoes and whisper into Chanyeol’s ear. You’re going to be a father.


Suddenly, strong arms envelop Kyungsoo’s small frame, Chanyeol resting his face on the crook of Kyungsoo’s neck. And Kyungsoo thinks this is the best. Almost like an automatic thing, she encircles her short arms on Chanyeol’s waist.


She feels something damp on her shoulder and it didn’t take her long to realize that those are tears. Chanyeol’s crying.


"Are you just gonna cry all day?" She jokes, even though she’s in tears too. She entangles herself from the hug and holds Chanyeol’s face and wipes those tears away with her thumb. Chanyeol finally looks at her and there’s a twinkle in his eyes. There’s happiness.


"Kyungsoo, I- I’m going to be the best dad and husband," He says. 
"I know you will," She beams at him. "I love you,"


"I love you too," He places his palm on Kyungsoo’s abdomen, whispering a  And, also you, baby, daddy loves you. Kyungsoo stares lovingly at Chanyeol’s face and she thinks, this is a good start as a family.