My Yatterman part 2/4

My Yatterman

 

What is fame? The advantage of being known by people of whom you yourself know nothing, and for whom you care as little

-Lord Byron

 

 

Dear Sho-chan! (Shohei Asai)

 

It’s been a year since we last met. How are you now? I heard you’re managing your family shop?

I have lot of things to say like my experiences here in University. I hope to see you soon;

 

Your friend,

Yu-chan (Yu Sakamoto)

 

“Yu-chan?” Shohei wondered as he saw me. He picked me in the train station. “Is that really you, you changed a lot”

Since I left for Tokyo, I changed my hairstyle and the way how I dressed. Shohei was the only one who noticed it.

 

“Do you find me attractive now?” I .

He just smiled.

And then we headed to their home.

 

Of course his parents welcomed me. Her sister Yuri commended my new looks, I blushed as she continued.

*

 

When they left the two of us, we started our private conversation.

 

“Ne Yu-chan…” Shohei began. “How’s University?”

I let out a long breath “Exhausted!” I replied, “But I’m doing better since the last time”

“Good to hear that” Shohei smiled. “Anymore latest?”

“Latest… yes!”

“Let me guess, it’s about Yatterman, right?”

I was surprised; I didn’t know how Shohei figured it out.

“You told me, you’re going to forget him, but it seems that-“

“I already forgot him!” I answered interrupting Shohei. “I just saw him the other day… in the University”

 

“Really? He’s your schoolmate?” Shohei questioned.

“No, he’s done studying. They said he just went there to meet someone”

“His girlfriend?”

“A professor”

“Ah…”

“The odd thing is… he didn’t recognize me” I said in soft manner.

Shohei laughed “Of course he can’t recognize you!”

He stopped talking when I gave him fiery eyes.

*

“Sho-chan!” a female voice took our attention.

“Who’s that?” I asked.

Shohei stood up. “She’s Chie, my girlfriend”

“Girlfriend?”

 

Shohei introduced me his girlfriend. She was pretty, but I much prettier.

“Hello, I’m Chie. Sho-chan told me about you. Nice meeting you, Yu-chan!” she said, politely.

 

I smiled.

I was happy for Shohei. Finally he found his happiness, but how about me?

 

*

“Yu-chan let’s go!”

My classmate Kirari brought me in a live cooking show program. I thought she was a fan of its female host An, but no, she was actually the niece of the director.

 

Here was the format of the show: everyday, different non-showbiz personality would be guessed to showcase their cooking ability.

 

“Who’s the guess today?” I asked.

Kirari blinked her eyes “I heard she’s a university student, and she’ll cook pecking duck.”

“That’s easy!” I answered since I know how to cook. My parents were busy in their jobs so I used to cook my own food. Home economics was also my number 2 favorite subject since the day I met Shohei.

 

The program should begin, but the guess was still missing.

“Where is she?” the director exhausted. They were already delayed. The staffs too were turning blue.

“Direct, something happened, our guess got an emergency, and she can’t get here in time!” the researcher cried.

“What?”

*

What’s wrong?” I asked when I noticed the program was taking too long to start.

 

“The guess can’t make it!” Kirari said, worried then suddenly she looked at me”

“Why?” I questioned as I saw Kirari’s naughty smile. “What is it, Kirari?”

 

“Trust me, Yu-chan, you’ll be famous here!” Kirari bit out.

 

All of a sudden, I was forced to take charge. I was the guess for that episode.

 

“Good morning dearly viewers!”  With her pure smile, An, the pretty female host greeted the audience. “Today in Cooking Ways we’ll be joining by a university student. She is taking Literature, and now she’ll teach us how to cook a simplified pecking duck, so ladies and gentleman please welcome Ms. Yu-chan Sakamoto!”

 

 

“Peking duck, or Beijing Roast Duck is a famous item of Chinese cuisine. This duck dish has been prepared since the Yuan Dynasty, and is now considered one of China's national food

The dish is prized for the thin, crispy skin, with authentic versions of the dish serving mostly the skin and little meat, sliced in front of the diners by the cook. Ducks bred specially for the dish are slaughtered after 65 days and seasoned before being roasted in a closed or hung oven. The meat is often eaten with pancakes, spring onions, and hoisin sauce or sweet noodle sauce.

 

Ingredients      

1

large

duck

giblets removed, whole

1

teaspoon

white peper

freshly ground

1 1/2

tablespoons

cinnamon

ground

1 1/2

tablespoons

ginger

ground

3/4

cup

brown sugar

 

3/4

cup

red wine vinegar

 

1

teaspoon

sesame oil

 

2

Teaspoons

peanut oil

 

1/2

teaspoon

star anise

ground

 

Directions

Bring a pot of water, large enough to hold the duck, to a boil.

Remove from heat and plunge duck in the water for 5 minutes.

Remove and pat dry.

Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring just to the boil.

Off heat, allow mixture to cool to room temperature.

Liberally coat the duck with the mixture and let it sit at room temperature for 3 hours so that the coating dries out.

To cook: Place duck on a rack, side up in a preheated 350 degree oven for 2- 2 1/2 hours.

Roast until skin is crisp and brown. Check occasionally and regulate temperature so that the coating does not burn.

To serve: Let duck cool to room temperature.

Carefully carve pieces from the bone being sure to include the crisp skin.

Roll up in Chinese Pancakes (recipe follows) with a dab of hoisin sauce and slivered green onions.

 

draft_lens2253826module12259121photo_122

 

*****
 

“Kawaii!!!” Kirari commented after the taping. “Yu-chan, you look great in TV.

I responded a half smile. I didn’t know if I should be glad to hear her complement.

 

“Miss Yu-chan, thank you very much, you save our show!” said the researcher.

Even the director and other staff told that.

Even Miss An,

“You did well. Thank you very much!”

 

After that cameo, I received non-stop calls from my relatives, old friends, school mates and professors. Even from Shohei and her family.

 

****

“Hello Miss Yu-chan?” The researcher of Cooking Ways phoned me.

“Yes sir?” I asked back.

“I just want to invite you, if you can guess in our cooking show again?”

 

I supposed to say no, but he was very convincing. He made me guess again. This time I showed how to cook Crème Brulee, a French recipe

[recipe of creme brulee]

***

I gained positive feedbacks right after my two guesting in the program Cooking Ways.

 After five months, another thing occurred. An, the host of Cooking Ways got pregnant, so the management needed a new host

 

Never in my life had I dreamed to have this kind of opportunity. They wanted me to be the new host of the reformat version of Cooking Ways. [This time, the host would be the one who’ll teach the guess how to cook defending on his/her request.]

 

“Should I grab it?”I asked myself. “What if I fail them?” I doubted, I didn’t know what to chose.

 

“Go for it!” said Shohei and her family.

 

“You can make it, my dear!” my parents said.

 

“Go, go, go!!!” Kirari insisted.

 

If I didn’t listen to them, I wasn’t here, to the fame I was experiencing. [Soon after the lunched of my own program, I received good feedbacks. There were still negative comments, but only few]

 

Sample feedbacks

 

“Yu Sakamoto is a good host.”

 

“I love her recipes because they are simple and achievable for the ordinary cook at home. Yet they are also very different and innovative, and always full of flavor.”

 

“She has sense of humor, and yet so much pretty, I want to be like her when I grow up”

 

“Yu is great because she presents practical advice in an entertaining way. She’s not too serious about cooking and her enthusiasm is infectious. Sometimess he even sings”

 

This kind of achievement was an example of success, but I wondered why I wasn’t happy. There was something missing. I figure it out when I read an article in a magazine.

 

“The real joy of being in love is the “enjoyable time where you feel all airy thinking of the person you like”!

 

I froze, rereading the lines again. It was really true.

When I was in love with Yatterman, I was bloomed in happiness. I missed those times, when I was still his fan.

 

As I continued reading, I found out that the line I was reading was actually come from Sho Sakurai.

 

“Eh?!” My reaction.

****

 

First time in a commercial,

Yes, they asked me to do a commercial for Pino chocolate. I was excited since this would be my first commercial. Actually, the smiles on my face were seemed permanent, till I saw him: Sho Sakurai.

“What is he doing here?” I asked.

Kirari who stood as my manger answered “He’ll be with you in the commercial!”

“What?”  I almost burst from shocked.

 

****

“Sakurai-san, meet Yu-chan!’ the director introduced.

To show politeness, I bowed. I expected him to smile but he didn’t he just stared at me with forced smile.

 

“Grrrr…”I thought. This Sho Sakurai was so blunt. Maybe till now he could see me as a caterpillar in cocoon.

 

*

When the film rolled, I saw Sakurai’s smile. He was really energetic and a good actor indeed. Shortly, I remembered Yatterman. He and Sho Sakurai had the same face, of course because they were the same person.

*

 

Done with the shoot,

 

“Yatta!!!” Kirari bit out. “I’m so proud of you, Yu-chan! You’re really cute, and you’re so lucky to be with Sho Sakurai!”

I frowned with my eyebrows “Really?”

“Definitely! Sakurai-san is one of our top idols” Kirari uttered.

I just nodded, fixing my things.

 

We were about to leave when Sakurai approached us.

“Hi!” He greeted Kirari.

“Ah, hello!” Kirari turned red as he offered her hand to Sakurai.

Sakurai shook hands with her.

“You’re Kirari, right?” asked Sakurai.

“Ah, yes, I’m Yu-chan’s manager.” Kirari glanced at me.

“I see” replied Sakurai. He then looked at me “My mother is a fan of your show”

I smiled (note: this was a fake smile)”Oh, really, send my gratitude to your mother. I hope she’ll continue supporting our show”

Sakurai smiled. “You can assure that. By the way, can I get you number?”

My eyes got wider when he offered his phone. “Y-You want my number?” I confirmed.

He nodded. “I want to learn more about you, in your recipe, I mean”

“Oh, yes, about my recipes…” I grinned taking his phone. I typed in my number and returned him the phone.

 

“Thank You!” Sakurai responded.

 

I smiled again (FAKE SMILE)

Then, Sakurai left.

 

“Sugoi!!!” Kirari bit out. “Yu-chan, I think he likes you!”

“Are you out of your mind?” I responded raising an eyebrow “He only took my number because of my recipes, and besides this is our first meeting”

“Yu-chan, you’re already popular, so for sure Sakurai-san knows you before” Kirari insisted, starting to make her own thought balloons.

“Sorry to pop your bubbles, but what you are thinking is really impossible!” I pouted, as I my heels.

“Chotto!” Kirari tailed.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last 2 Parts Coming Up!

I hope I didn’t disappoint you!

To be honest, I’ve only seen Yatterman anime through local TV,

Sakurai’s Yatterman is still on my list