Chapter 3

Road of Trust

"Wake up! Wake up!"

 

Areum jolted up from her sleep and breathed in a thick scent of fire. She coughed from the dangerous fume and threw off her covers, bolting for the window once she heard the screams. The town had gone ablaze and people were running for their lives. Leaving behind their homes, taking only valuables with them. People were running recklessly around and there was no one to direct them. As she examined the town she noticed the fire was giving off a faint image of a large shadow. It got bigger as it came closer.
 
"Why are fiends even here?" It was unusually for the creatures to come out of the forest, unless something big happened.
 
She jumped out of the window and landed safely on the ground. Areum scanned the streets and tried to find any survivors. To her annoyance, lupines suddenly appeared before her and trapped her in a circle. Lupines are quick four-legged creatures that have a great resemblance to the wolf. Even though they are quite weak, they are trouble in big numbers.
 
Areum smirked, "time to bring out the fans."
 
Her weapon began to materialize in both of her hands. One was deep black and the other was pearl white. On the edges it had gold linen carefully woven in. Its handle and frame were created out of a special, ancient bark making it ideal to use for any fight.
 
The Lupines growled with ferocity, having no affect on Areum. She landed on one of their backs and slashed it with her fans. She ducked down and swung her leg around causing the monster to fall on its back. She rose and stabbed it in its heart. The rest of the monsters charged at her at once. She leaped up and attacked each monster until they vanished into the air.
 
From the corner of her eye, she could see a mother and her two children. They were running away from a monster, a chimera. Areum rushed to their side as the monster had them backed up against a corner in the alley.
 
Chimeras were ghastly beings: the tail was a snake, the body of a minotaur with its head, mutated with an griffin's fore arms and lion's head.
 
It's arm stretched back to plunge down to attack. In the nick of the moment, sparks flew as Areum guarded them from the monster's claw. With her fans, she pushed it back and kicked it down. It gave off a curling shriek as she attacked it and disappeared into the air.
 
"Quick! Follow me!" Areum ordered. To pick up the pace, Areum carried one of the children and stayed close to the family. Even though she was busy with this family she had eyes out for anyone else still lurking around aimlessly. Finding no one else, they were able to reach the safety area outside along the town with the rest of the townsfolk.
 
When they got there she noticed that the twelve of them were protecting the citizens. Then a man hollered out “Honey!,” and pushed his way through the crowd to create a path for himself, ignoring the complaints coming in his direction.
 
The woman looked up and started to sob, "I thought they got you!” She cried and they both embraced each other tightly. "Dad!" His children called out and they glomped him. After the family reunion, his wife whispered something into his ear and he averted his attention to Areum and walked up to her.
 
"Thank you young warrior, you have saved my family, I thank you." Areum just nodded in acknowledgement and bowed to the family.
 
From the corner of her eye, she could see the twelve approaching her and she bowed in respect.
 
"That was brave of you to do." Kyungsoo said. Yixing nodded in agreement "Please, stand Areum." She stood up and she quickly turned her gaze towards the city in flames. Everything--burning. There seemed to be no more signs of monsters in the area.
 
"Must've escaped." Areum was overlooking the city as the flames burned everything down. It seemed like they would have to wait till morning to be able to reenter the town. Showers of explosions fired off, the buildings and homes burning with intensity.
 
"No wonder there's fire, there's bombs everywhere." Bombs were fat, round, fiery aerial creatures that explode once you manage a few number of hits on the creature. A deadly self-destruction and the last thing you would want to tick off.
 
"Better go check it out I guess."
 
"Areum?" Kyungsoo called out to her, his eyes following her every move. Even though they got everyone out of the town, at this rate everyone would be dead if they traveled up the hill. She jumped to the front of the crowd and told the citizens in the front to not leave. She turned her heels around and ran into the fiery city. "Areum!" Kyungsoo called out. "Holy ! Is she crazy?!" Sehun exclaimed as they all chased after her.
 

They all ran after Areum, forgetting that protecting the citizens were of most importance. “Hey! You!” Sehun yelled. . What was her name again?

He snapped his fingers, trying to remember her name from the afternoon.

“Areum!” Kyungsoo called out, to the fleeting figure of the girl.

There you go! Sehun happily thought with another snap.

Now, Areum came to a stop and glared at the group, making them stop in their tracks.

“What.” Areum did not even bother sparing them a glimpse of her annoyed face.

“What? What do you think you’re doing?” Junmyeon questioned the girl, a bit distraught at her courage.

“My job,” She flatly stated, “and if I don’t get down there quick, there’s going to be nothing worth staying for.” She began to walk towards her destination until Kris made his way to the girl and yanked her arm.

“No, you’re not.” Kris led her to the other direction. “You protect the people, we’ll handle this.”

Areum rolled her eyes at this tall man. “Then what are you going to do about it? We both know that it’s some kind of monster running amok in there. Clearly your job was to stay at your post, mines is to protect Sele. You have no say in what I do.”

Areum’s smaller hand gripped on his arm, to push away his touch from hers and walked valiantly down the hill into the scorching flames, with only her silhouette to be seen, then gone.

“Kris?” Luhan slowly walked up to his friend and placed a hand on his shoulder.

Kris’ anger went through the roof; his face was contorted with astonishment that this girl had disobeyed him. He gave out a low growl and began to bark out unrecognizable orders to the group, then he followed Areum.

No one disobeys me.

“Geez Kris, we’re in an emergency and he decides to let off some steam now?” Chanyeol whispers to himself, his arms across his chest.

“Talk about it later, we have a job to do.” Baekhyun patted his friend’s back to get him focused.

“Minseok, Kris, Jongdae, Kyungsoo, Tao and I are the attack team. Luhan, Yixing, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Jongin, and Sehun are the guarding team. Luhan, I’m putting you in charge.” Junmyeon gives Luhan a stern look, who returns back a nod. “Move out!”

“How come I’m stuck in the guard team.” Chanyeol frowned.

“Think about it Chanyeol,” Luhan paused, “you want the city to burn more?”

Chanyeol opened his mouth to protest, but went over the idea in his head. Maybe it was better for Junmyeon to stick me in guarding.

“You heard Junmyeon, let’s head back up. I’m sure we made some of the citizens anxious," Luhan counts the number of heads and realizes someone is missing, "Jongin?”

“Yeah.” Jongin came and tugged on Luhan’s shirt. The rest soon latched themselves onto each other's clothing and whoosh. They were now once again with the people of Sele.

“Now everyone! Please find a spot to relax and let the others handle what’s going on in the city. If you need to do anything or need something, please, do not be afraid to ask.” Luhan finished with a bright smile, hoping that it would ease the citizens hearts a bit.

“Luhan! Come over here and look at this!” Yixing waved for Luhan to come in his direction. Luhan rushed his way over to the edge of the cliff overlooking the city.

“Does that look like what I think it is?” Yixing gave him a nervous face and Luhan squinted his eyes to make out what Yixing was suggesting.

“.”

 


 

“Kris! Kris!” Jongdae cupped his hands around his face to amplify his strong voice.

Minseok and Junmyeon slowly followed behind as they busied themselves by using their powers to get rid of the flames, while Kyungsoo used his strength to get rid of the fallen parts of the buildings that were blocking their path.

Tao stayed in the back of the traveling group, as his senses were more alert than others which came in handy just in case if debris were to fall on them.

“Seriously, Kris? And I thought I was the bad leader.” Junmyeon huffed, wiping away the sweat on his forehead. “You okay, Minseok?” He made sure that all his teammates were fine before caring for his own health.

“Yeah.” Minseok held a hand to his heart, softly telling himself to breathe properly.

“Come on Kris. You can’t be that far can you?” Jongdae had hoped, pivoting his body around to catch sight of his other leader.

“There he is!” Kyungsoo went off first and they all followed his lead.

“Kris!” Kris had stopped his in tracks and turned his head in every direction possible until he saw his friends. “What the heck are you doing running off like that and leaving me alone with these ten guys?!” Junmyeon rubbed his temples as he yelled at Kris.

“I did give you orders though.”

“Yeah, more like you were talking to aliens.” Jongdae joked.

Kris sneered at his friend. “Ah, that’s right. I have to find that girl and teach her some manners.”

“Are you really worrying about that now? We do have a city to stop from burning. Like does anything of this mean nothing to you?” Tao motioned his arms around himself, highlighting the point that they needed to get to work. “Deal with this first, then we find the girl.”

With his hawk-like sight, Kyungsoo was able to find a small shadow walking its way across town. “Hey you!” Kyungsoo called.

 


 

“Hey you!” Areum hears, “I do have a name for a reason--what’s up with the ‘hey you's” anyways." She scowled, scanning the grounds. She began to speed up her pace once she heard footsteps coming closer. She felt a firm grip on her skinny arms.

“Come back and stay with the citizens.” Kyungsoo repeated what his leader had said in shortened breaths from the sprint.

“No. I found what I needed to find anyways.” She stated as a matter of fact, pointing in the direction of a nearby roar. “Nevermind, we should move too.”

Unlike Kris, Areum gently pried off the Kyungsoo's hand and tugged on his shirt, making the two run off in the other direction.

“Where we going?!”

“Somewhere else!” The duo ran into the other group, surprising them.

“Hey!” Kris exclaimed.

“No time for that now! Run!” Areum tried, yelling at the top of her lungs.

“Listen to her!” Kyungsoo added in, seeing that he had to put his trust into a stranger for once.

The five of them stood there for a moment, exchanging glances with one another.

“What are they doing not running!?” Areum gritted her teeth and pulled a u-turn going back to the loiters, not letting anyone else go to their death yet. “Woah! A heads up would have been appreciated!” Kyungsoo complained, when he felt a his arm stretch in pain.

“Well it would have not happened if your friends listened to me. But, no! They’re acting like sitting ducks!” Areum retorted, not wanting to argue anymore. “Hey! You guys --- Watch out!”

A large shadow was looming over the unsuspecting five and they were pelted by thunderbolts, thankfully with Areum’s warning they evacuated away in a split second. Her hold loosened on Kyungsoo’s sleeve and she jumped upwards to the shadow hiding behind the clouds of smoke and ash. She plunged down at an alarming rate and clashed with the monster’s arm, causing her to ricochet backwards and land on something lanky, turned out to be Kris.

“Sorry.” Areum got herself off and dragged a confused Kris away before they were electrocuted to nothing. Areum led Kris to where the others were and left the tired leader in their care.

“Now, what the hell are we dealing with?” Areum turned around, trying to pinpoint the monster’s location.

A bigger Chimera huh?

Chimeras were powerful beasts that were masters in elemental attacks and their body is covered in dark brown fur and a defying roar that pierced the ear drums. It’s tail is a snake, which is the reason why everyone was close to becoming dirt. Chimeras were creations of monsters that were either forced to breed or maybe that’s how nature wanted them to be.

Judging by the size of the silhouette it didn’t seem that large from the others that she had encountered, so Areum decided to hit it once more and if successful, she would knock it down to the ground and finish it off. Well, that was what she was going to do, after the pollution subsided it revealed the monsters’ built.

Areum craned her head upwards, a small pain came up from extending her neck far too back.

“Man,” she sighed, “Where can I find something big enough to tackle this thing?” Areum thought as she dodged a fireball circulating in the hands of the beast.

Suddenly, her eyes grew to the memory of what happened earlier in the afternoon.

“That’s it!” She said with a smile that disappeared as soon as it came, when a building was close to crashing down on her.

“Kris!” Her voice cracked. She zoomed through the ruins of the city and covered . Inhaling the fumes would ruin their chances of surviving.

“Kris! Kris! Kris! Kris!” Areum said his name in a rushed tone and almost missed the group, doing her best maneuvering away from the Chimera. Kris turned around and saw her little figure running towards him. A bit shocked that she returned back to them.

“Kris!” She called.

“Whoa!” Tao said as he felt a push to his sides. Areum plowed her way through the men’s huddle. “Bracelet! Now!” She yelled, trying to extend her hand to Kris’ clothes. The tall man caught hold of her smaller hand and pulled her out of the jungle of boys.

“Hey what’s wrong---” Before Kris could finish his sentence, Areum pulled his right sleeve upwards and touched his bracelet. Not even saying a word of thanks, she dashed right off in the Chimera’s way. The six of them pivoted their bodies quickly and froze in the presence of the huge Chimera.

"Areum!" Junmyeon feared for the girl's safety, until his eyes were mesmerized by the shining light that Areum emitted.

Areum’s body shook, giving her sharp pains as her body convulsed, making her bite down on her teeth to fight it back. Her pain meant nothing compared to the losses of the citizens living in Sele. Nothing compared to losing valuables, a home or a family. Her skin began to evolve into dark purple scales, wide wings sprouted out from her back and it’s membranes were a pearlescent silver, and her body turned into the great dragon, Bahamut.

She roared to the skies and barred her teeth at the Chimera. The Chimera responded back with a fireball, but Areum protected herself with her own, making the impact go off like fireworks. Areum sprawled out her wings and took flight into the ashy air. Her crystalline eyes glowed as she charged straight at the monster and dug into the Chimera’s back with her claws, making it shriek in agony. The snake sneaked in a thunderbolt and Areum screamed at the pain and decided to slash the monster’s face as payback.

Time to finish this.

Areum flew back and readied herself by planting her legs firmly onto the ground. Her chest rose as she took in a deep breath, her eyes glowing a neon yellow and fired an enormous blue colored blast at the Chimera, it’s screech fading away along with its existence.

The boys looked at the great dragon with their jaws open. It was unbelieveable, not once had they heard of anyone taking a Chimera head on in Sele. It was impossible, it was calling for your death. Yet, this small girl at the age of seven was able to do it.

Areum soon reverted back to her human self, a dirt cloud appeared once she fell to the floor.

The boys rushed to her aid and Kyungsoo was the first one to approach her. He carefully picked her up into his strong arms and moved her head so that she was resting against his chest.

“Come on. Let’s report back.”

 


 

“There you guys are!” Chanyeol happily exclaimed with open arms towards s. He retracted back his arms once he caught sight of how dirty they were. “Actually nevermind.”

Behind Chanyeol, were the others. “Is everything fine now?” Luhan made his way to Junmyeon.

“Yes. All we need to do is wait for the fire to die down a bit. Minseok and I are a bit tired from stopping it.” Junmyeon relayed the information.

“So what was it?” Jongin questioned.

“A chimera.” Tao answered.

“A chimera?!” Jongin said with a shocked voice. “How’d you managed to defeat that?!”

“With her.” Kris motioned towards Kyungsoo, holding the asleep child.

“You’re kidding me right?” Sehun raised an eyebrow.

“No, I’m not.” Kris replied, averting his attention away from Sehun to Areum.

“How’s everyone else?” Kris inquired.

“They’re all fine, but mentally; I think we have a problem there.” Baekhyun frowned at the sight of a mother trying to soothe her crying baby.

“No one injured? Any losses?”

“Nope. I checked them all. I went around to see if they needed me to check something, then I would. So far, nothing came up, except for the ones that were injured in the beginning.” Yixing reported.

“Take a look at her for me yeah?”

“Sure Kris.” Yixing approached Kyungsoo and the two started to chat.

"When should we go back into the city?" Luhan asks.

“Wait till daybreak, or least until the fire is in a single area.” Junmyeon advised, watching the fire losing its power. “Yeah. Till daybreak.” He confirms.