Chapter 8

Road of Trust

"The sea! The glistening, clear blue sea!" Chanyeol clasps his hands together and dreamily looks up to the sky as he walks alongside the group through the forest. "I can almost see it now!" He sighs happily.

"Chanyeol," Yixing calls his name, "doing that won't bring us to the sea any faster you know that right?" Yixing raises his eyebrow in the plain sight stupidity his friend is displaying, but he laughs it off, thinking of this time as a vacation of sorts.

Chanyeol pouts and playfully brings his arm over Baekhyun's shoulder. "Hey, you're excited too, so that must mean that I ain't alone!"

Baekhyun snorts, "of course I am, I'm gonna be home." Baekhyun pushes Chanyeol away gently with his elbow. He stopped holding hands with Areum since both of their hands were becoming sweaty from the generated heat. They both laughed, which was a refreshing sight to behold, especially coming from Areum.

Every little moment of this girl changing her expressions meant that the chances of seeing her smiles became bigger. So, Areum being her stoic self, resorted to stride behind Kyungsoo; like a baby duckling following her mother or in this case, her father. The boy constantly looked behind his shoulder, as he watched her skip every so often and sometimes stare at the animals roaming around.

"She's not a bad kid. I can see why Lan takes a liking to her." Kris comments to Kyungsoo, glancing at Areum once, then back to the dirt road ahead.

"Well it's mostly because the only people she interacted with was Lan and Daena all the time, but surprisingly, she's weak at heart."

"And by that you mean?"

"She's easily hurt, easy to throw a tantrum — all in all, she's like any other; just a kid."

“Being perceptive on me aren’t you?” Kris raises his eyebrow in interest.

Kyungsoo smiles with a playful scoff.

"Hey the sign says that the sea is just up ahead!" Sehun waves to everyone trailing in the back and marches onward once the distance closes in. Junmyeon focuses straight ahead," yup, the sea's there. I sense the water."

“How do you sense water?” Jongin is unconvinced.

“I don’t know how to explain it, but maybe I’m more in synchronization with nature? After what happened earlier, with the guardians and all; it’s like I’m more aware of my surroundings. It's weird and cool at the same time.”

"Who cares about that? Let's run over there!" Chanyeol excitedly jumps up and down and runs first.

Some join him in the race, while some are left behind to enjoy the rest of their stroll. "It's such a nice day too, why spend all their energy now?" Minseok pulls down on his tunic.

"But it's been forever since we last saw the sea." Junmyeon adds in, putting his hood over his head to protect his face from the sun's harsh rays. "Man, they ran far." Junmyeon uses his hand to shield his eyes.

"Areum, we'll be able to rest ahead soon—," Kris turns around to see the young girl gone. Panicking slightly, he puts his hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder, "wasn't she just right behind you?"

"Kris relax, I bet she's looking at the trees over there or something," he also looks behind him. "Oh ! Where'd she go?!" Kyungsoo runs a hand through his messy hair.

"Guys." Luhan calls.

"Is she looking for a specific tree or something?!" Kris scans the trees.

"Guys." Luhan says once more.

"They all look the friggin' same!" Kyungsoo exclaims.

"Sele to idiots!" Luhan bellows but they still don't listen. Luhan grumbles and angrily marches his way to his two idiotic friends. He arches his fist back and swings forward to hit both of their heads in one swift, clean motion.

"Ow! What was that for?!" Kris rubs his head.

"I was going to tell you idiots that Areum is right there!" He points behind him, but once he looks, she isn't there. The dread of realization falls upon him. "B-but she was there!"

"Luhan..." They both growl with glowing diamond eyes.

 


 

"How pretty." Areum picks up a seashell from the sand and dusts away the remaining grain. A seagull flies past above her and cries as the wind blows away her hair. She curls her hair to rest behind her ear and watches the sea shine like jewels in the sky.

She gazes down to see a small tiny crab, crawling by and crouches to get a closer look. Its rusty, orange shell erodes into a yellow center with its legs that are tinier than Areum's pinky. She watches it struggle as it burrows itself underneath the wet sand to seek shelter. She digs deep within the mud, with her hands, creating a burrow big enough for the crab to fit in comfortably. Areum leaves to find something new to look upon.

"Hey!" She hears and looks to the boys playing joyfully in the clear, blue waters. Their damp hair collects together as bundles. She realizes that they've taken off their tunics, wearing their loose clothing.

From the corner of her eyes, she sees another crowd enter the beach.

“Is the village close to here?”

Some girls around their age gather in hordes and gaze at the dream-like scene. They squeal in excitement at the gorgeous boys. Areum couldn't care less about the young females, as long as they weren't capable of causing harm. She shrugs her shoulders and takes off her flats. She raises the hood on her cloak and lets her shoes dangle on her dainty fingers, walking away from the unneeded clamor.

"Can we join too?" Some girls ask the good-looking crew, Jongin spares them a glance and smiles,"why not? The more, the merrier!" He wobbles his way through the incoming small waves to tell the other boys. A female brings along an inflated beach ball and tosses it around in the circle they have created, making a fun atmosphere.

Not far from where they are, the other remaining group finally reaches the shores. With three rambunctious individuals showing up first, Luhan is spent and lands on his bottom, "we're here," he hoarsely says.

Kris bends over with his hands resting on his knees while Kyungsoo has Kris' side to lean against. Minseok and Junmyeon appear shortly and simultaneously breathe in the sea air. "I can see they gained quite the company." Junmyeon comments and Minseok joins in the laughter.

"So, where's Areum at?" Kyungsoo breathes out.

"Areum?" Sehun pops out of nowhere," she went that way." He points in the direction. But as he points, he sees her run back in a hurry.

"Areum come over here!" Minseok calls. Areum shakes her head vigorously and sprints past the group of people playing in the sea.

On the opposite side, Chanyeol watches her whiz by," what is she —," he brushes away the hair covering his face and looks in the direction she came from," AHHH!" Chanyeol runs up the shore and grabs his clothes and puts it on in a rush as he screams and some of them become muffled in the process. Everyone turns their heads around at the noise of Chanyeol's outcry to see a sand cloud with glinting red eyes and they run for their lives.

The screen splits into three triangles, the boys on the sides, the girls in the middle, and everyone wails.

The girls escaped as a flock near the forest while the drenched boys follow Areum. The group that had arrived moments ago chased after the unknown monster.

Areum turns around and sees that they're all running for the lives and decides it's time to fight back. She drags her feet in the sand to make an abrupt stop, indenting an arch as her feet dig in the warm sand. Areum whips out her twin fans and springs forward, towards the monster. She swishes the fans to get of the flying debris to collect itself as a tornado and fly itself away.

With the dust gone, the outline of the monster can be seen and Areum lands a quick slash on it. The monster cries and it makes her ears ring. The sand cloud settles to the ground and it's an enormous blue crab with a giant left pincer. Areum concentrates and creates a force field big enough to trap her and the sea creature. The boys slam their fists on the translucent blue layer in offer of help but they get deflected back.

"Areum! You bring down this barrier this instant!" Minseok commands go unheard.

Areum dashes and zigzags between the crab's legs and cuts off some of its limbs to hinder its movement. And the crab falls flat on the ground on its sides, unable to bring itself up again. Areum sprints and lands multiple hints but nothing seems to work, its iron defense makes up for its sluggish movements. As she thinks, she gets slammed by the pincer and her impact breaks the force field. She coughs as Kris catches her fall. She wobbles to gain balance on her own two feet and thinks. She searches for a weak point, until she spots the line in between the crabs' eyes.

"That's it!" Her strong legs bring her up to the crab's line of vision. She puts her two fans together and shoves it in the cracks between its eyes and with her strength, it starts to open up like a clam. Her rage flows through her body and with one last howl, a spurt of energy surges through her and the top of the shell comes flying off and some of its insides land on the beach.

"Chanyeol! Shoot inside and get the heart!" Areum settles away as Chanyeol readies his flame. He throws in the fire and the flames burst on impact. The working nerves in the crab makes the shell shake and fumble to the ground. The smoke rises to the sky and Areum's body roughly slams into the sand out of breath.

Baekhyun helps her up on her feet, but Areum gently pushes him away.

"Areum let me see your sides." Yixing asks, holding on her arm.

Areum denies and emphasizes that it's just a scratch.

"Areum." He demands.

Her eyes look elsewhere until she sighs. There was something about Yixing, she couldn't brush away his welcoming demeanor. She lifts up her tunic to reveal her black shorts and the big purple bruise on her right ribs. Yixing sighs and places his hand over her injury. He removes his hand after a few seconds and pats away the sticking sand on her clothes.

"Where'd you find that thing?" Sehun asks.

"I was walking." She answers. "Some children, I'm assuming from the village, were throwing rocks on it while it was asleep and I happened to be the first thing it saw."

"Why pick on a crab that's like ten times your size?" Tao comments," I would be cranky too if I was pelted with rocks while napping."

"There was nothing out of the ordinary." Areum quickly responds.

"Poor crab, there really are mischievous humans that still exist today." Minseok crosses his arms.

"Tell me when you all are ready to leave, the village is down that way." She points back to where she explored earlier. "Enjoy the time to rest." Areum bows and walks a little bit with a limp, away from the water.

With some peace and quiet, Areum sits down on the sand and grabs the canteen of water from her waist and drinks from it. Areum lazily throws it down onto the sand and lays down on the temperate sand and curls, getting some z's as she waits for the warriors to resume their play time.

 


 

Areum wakes up, but her view should be facing upward, not to her side. All she sees are the growing shadows from what seems to be small houses and the stone road in front of her. She wonders if she’s dreaming because she keeps on moving forward and can’t seem to recall if she ever woke up from the beach. Her tired eyes puts her into a daze, captured by the sunset’s breathtaking beauty. The orange and red hues blend so perfectly together, that it makes one think: how is it possible for nature to be so naturally perfect?

“Good afternoon,” she tilts her head up to see her carrier but he laughs before continuing, “more like good night though.”

Shocked, Areum springs out of his arms in embarrassment and pats down her tunic, “I apologize for my carelessness,” she genuflects before him.

“It’s alright Areum,” Jongdae catches her off guard and hoists her up, “relax a bit.” He ruffles her hair.

“Did the wittle sleeping baby dragon decide to get up?” Baekhyun walks back and crouches down to her level. Areum holds back a scowl as she can’t help but to feel a division of belittlement; or maybe Areum has been over thinking too much and he’s just toying with her. Areum’s smile twitches as she faces him. Baekhyun and Jongdae leave upon hearing their names being called and Areum heaves a heavy sigh.

"I'm assuming we're in Langley right now." And she proves her guess with a town sign. She continues behind, looking at Baekhyun's back figure. "He must be happy."

Another sigh, " happy..."

Areum isn't looking where she's going and bumps into someone. "Oomph!"

"Hey! Watch where you're going kid!" The villager drops her bag of apples and Areum gets hit on her head by the burly woman. Some of the townspeople watch in amusement or continue to ignore the scene. Areum clenches down on her teeth, her body was still recovering from earlier. The woman gets ready to slap Areum once more, she closes her eyes waiting for the impact to happen, but the woman's arm gets caught.

“Miss,” Tao smiles, “I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but we’ll be taking her away from your sight now.” Tao protectively stands in front of Areum.

Jongin helps the woman collect her apples from the floor and purchases some more from the vendor closest to them. “I hope there isn’t a misunderstanding anymore.” He leads the woman away.

“What nice boys,” she beams, "but make sure you teach her some manners.” She glares at Areum and walks away pompously.

Areum peeks a look and grits her teeth, all of this burning anger kept on building inside. She begins to sprint to the villager, maybe teach the woman a lesson or two, but she gets pulled back into a hug before she can go any further and looks up.

“I think that’s enough for one day don’t you think?” Kyungsoo shakes her shoulders to loosen her up. “We’re staying here for tonight.” He points at the huge tavern. Kyungsoo still holds her like a papa bear and drags her inside, with her feet on his, as they step together.

“Ah, there you are. I was wondering where you went.” Junmyeon puts his hands on his hips and snorts. “What are you two doing?”

“Playing.” Kyungsoo says as like they’ve been doing this daily. Areum isn't having it though, with her cheeks puffed up, clearly upset.

“Hey guys we’re going to be sharing three rooms since that’s all we could get.” Kris announces and allows everyone to split themselves up however they want.

“It will be upstairs and the last three doors to your left.” A blonde male hands Baekhyun the key.

“Ah thanks!” Baekhyun drops his jaws once he gets a good look at the employee. “R-Robin?”

The worker responds to his name and he curiously stares back, “Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun vigorously nods his head and Robin’s expression immediately brightens. “How have you been? I haven’t seen you since we were little!” They laugh.

"Same here! Let me introduce you to my friends I'm traveling with!" Baekhyun pats him on the back. "Hey guys! I want to introduce someone to ya! Robin, these are all my friends. Guys, this is Robin."

"Hey!" Robin grins. Everyone went through their introductions but lied to Robin on the reason why they were traveling all over Ascernia. Robin's personality is like Baekhyun's, easily conversing and getting along with the others.

"Hey, who's little sister is that?" Robin points to the youngster behind Tao.

"Oh, that's Areum, she's uh...," Baekhyun stumbles on his words, "she's my cousin from my mom's side."

Robin strides over to her and kneels, "are you sure she's related to you?" Areum pulls away her face from the male. "She doesn't look a thing like you."

As Baekhyun tries to come up with an excuse he gets interrupted. "Robin do you know these folk?" A pair of elderly men enter from one of the halls, while Areum jolts from the unexpected aura.

"I only know one of them," Robin laughs,"my friend Baekhyun, came back to Langley today."

"And where ya lads from?" The other aged man asks.

"Sele." Baekhyun answers.

"I see...Sele...huh..." He snickers under his breath.

"Did you say something boss?" Robin innocently bats his eyes.

"Ah, nothing. Well, we're going to retire to our rooms, see you tomorrow lads." The duo exits.

As the pair exits, they simultaneously gaze at Areum, she gives back a sneer, but one of the men returns a smile. Her expression softens, until an evil grin shows upon his face with a slithery tongue, temporarily shocking her.

"You guys should rest, betcha had a long day." Robin puts a hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder.

"Ya bet we did." Baekhyun recalls the whole day as being an awkward mess.

"Well I'll be going now, have a good night!" Robin waves as the crew leaves to their rooms.

 


 

Everyone has split up into their rooms and settled in nicely. Areum is rooming with Luhan, Kris, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. The three of them are lounging around while Kris emerges out the restroom finished with his shower. He has a towel hanging on his shoulders as he uses one of the ends to lightly dry off his hair. Areum stands in front of the room, fumbling with her shirt. She bites down on her bottom lip, she doesn't know where to start.

"Do you have something you want to say Areum?" Luhan smiles at her. She breaks free from her rambling thoughts and nods.

"Ah, I...yeah..."

"Well?" Luhan patiently waits.

"Sir, I have something important to tell you." Areum tries to stand tall, "the two identical males are suspicious.”

Without a sound, they watch her fidget in her place.

"How to explain this?" She crosses her arms and closes her eyes. "This isn't coming into a full circle. Okay, we got sent to the forest, where we got separated. We even ended up at the beach and had the crab, uhm, annihilated? That sounds wrong.”

She sighs, “And after all that, I ended up falling asleep on the beach and now we're here.” Areum surveys the room, it is comfy, but not to the point where Areum’s mind is free of worries for the day.

"My head hurts." She groans. "But there's something about those two that won't leave my mind."

"Hello~, Sele to Areum." Luhan calls.

Areum jolts, "I-I apologize." She stutters.

"You decide to properly respond to us now? How intriguing." Kyungsoo comments, earning a chuckle from Baekhyun.

Areum avoids their gazes and chooses to retire for the night, she heads to her sleeping bag that she prepared on the floor.

"Oh no you don't," Kris picks Areum up and puts her on the bed, "whenever there's a bed, you'll be taking it always."

"And your reason is because?"

"You want me to repeat the letter?" That shuts her up as she is reminded of the memory that Faela had given Lan's memo to Kris before they departed to the Junas Library.

Suddenly, the Spirit Core begins to flicker between cobalt, amber, and arsenic like an pulsing heartbeat. "It's here." She breathes deeply with frightened eyes.

"What's here?" Kris questions.

"In the city, there's..."

Areum covers her gasp as she smells a nasty stench. She stands in the middle of the forest surrounded by a circle of trees, she starts to hear ghouly voices.

She fast forwards to the beach, with her feet in the calm water. She gazes down and blinks. It's her reflection, another blink, a stream of red. With one last blink, that stream grows into the maroon waves that crash against her buried feet.

Areum shakes as she follows where the red came from and begins to see dismembered body parts floating in the sea. Everywhere she looks, the colors get away into a monochrome gray.

Her heart pumps and inhales a sharp breath as she feels something bump into her leg. Areum cautiously looks down and see's that it's an alive, bawling human; it's asking for help by reaching out its hand to hers. She shakily extends her hand to hold the human. The human cries out of happiness,"thank you," the human manages to say.

Before Areum can make physical contact, the human gets pulled back with a scream. "No! It's going to eat me!" It drags the person into the ocean. The human claws at the water, trying to hold on to something—anything. Something throws the human up into the air and springs up from the ocean and chomps down on the human, where blood is spilled and letting the remaining parts plop into the ocean.

The blood splatters on Areum's clothes and skin. With trembling hands, she grasps onto her shirt, staring forward. And ever so softly and slowly, she raises her clenched hands to her sight and unfolds her fist, turning her palms to face her.

The dark hue of blood throws her into a state of shock.

She hears a noise and looks up. Areum's eyes shake in fear as she sees the creature clearly. With eyes glowing a monstrous red, "you look delicious," the 's' is slurred. “Won’t you be my next meal?” The overflow of gory images clouds her mind and she starts to have an acute panic attack.

"Areum!" She hears. Kris shakes her, constantly calling the young girl’s name. "Areum! Damn it! Do you hear me?! Areum?!"

Her heart palpitates, she's a sobbing mess as her tears fall and her nose runs. Areum clenches into her hair and screams. Areum kicks at the bed covers, making the fabric roll up.

"Areum! Wake up!" Kyungsoo pried her hands off her hair. Areum looks up and all she sees are the boys, but her vision distorts and now there are snakes surrounding her. Baring their fangs, with a drip of green venom hanging from it.  She shrieks at the living nightmare.

"I wanna go home! I wanna go home!" She cries as she claws at her arms, her nails pierce through her skin and start to redden from the scratching.

Baekhyun breaks through Kris and Kyungsoo and embraces the crying girl. She wails even louder and struggles to leave. Baekhyun is taking all the hits and his shirt is getting damp, but he doesn't mind and takes a deep breath.

"I will trust you, protect you and comfort you. I will be on your side. I will never leave your side." He softly sings to her.

Areum can feel the vibrations of Baekhyun's voice and closes her eyes to listen to the sweet tune. It's dark now, but at the end of the darkness a shade of amber appears.

"Home..." Areum knocks out.

The door to their room bursts open, with the others rushing in. "I heard yelling." Sehun pants.

"You heard right. It came from Areum." Kris dries away the sweat, so much for a shower. "She had a panic attack, but Baekhyun lulled her to sleep." Kyungsoo sees Baekhyun resting beside a sleeping, tear-stained Areum.

"Let me check her pulse real quick," Yixing squishes through.

"Tell us more tomorrow." Junmyeon says, "too many people woke up." His eyes are alert at the stares of the curious guests.

"Got it." Luhan tucks Areum into bed with Baekhyun holding onto her hand, both fast asleep.

 


 

Areum wakes up more tired than ever and alone. She stares off into space with droopy eyes. She breathes in with difficulty, her dainty brown eyes flutter. She hugs her legs close to her chest, “I wanna go home…”

She hears a knock on the door and looks up, “Breakfast is ready.” Sehun comments.

Areum nods, distracted by her own thoughts and Sehun begins to feel horrible. “I’m sorry about the other day,” he starts,” I didn’t mean to call you that.”

Areum looks at Sehun, slightly surprised at his change of character. “It’s fine.” She gets off the bed and leaves the room with Sehun silently following her.

Breakfast goes by with a breeze and everyone is out exploring Langley and what the small village has to offer. Areum trails behind, helping carry items that the boys have purchased.

“I’m telling you this village is cursed!” A young man grabs at his hair.

An elderly man slams down his cane. “Nonsense I’ve been living here my whole life!”

Areum overhears the townsfolk. “Hey guys look at this.” Jongin shows them a flyer, “there’s been incidents lately where the villagers have found dead people to the point where their faces are unrecognizable. And look! There's one about the forest being destroyed by something mysterious too."  Areum squirms uncontrollably, listening to Jongin’s findings.

Finally out of the wretched, crowded marketplace, they take rest at a clearing with farms to the left and a temple to the right. And in front of the temple, seems to be a damaged relic with carved in drawings and hieroglyphics. Seeing that no one is watching her, Areum takes a closer look at it and touches the grooves in the stone.

“Whatcha looking at Areum?” Baekhyun rests his hands on his knees.

“Alta...Fenrir...and Odin.” She automatically responds.

“Ha, she’s ignoring me.”

“Well, if you need us we’ll be over there okay Areum?” Baekhyun awkwardly turns around, but Areum catches his arm. “Hello Baekhyun, it’s nice to see you again.” Areum’s eyes glow amber and her face softens.

“What…,”

Areum giggles, “It’s Odin, don’t worry.”

“What…” He repeats.

“Uhm, let’s forget about that, wait here okay?” With her head tilted, she winks at him. Areum runs away from an astonished Baekhyun to the group of men, sitting amongst the field of vivid flowers in the meadow.

“La, la, la,” the female-voiced Odin sings, “there you two are!” She enthusiastically appears in front of Junmyeon and Kyungsoo.

With uncertainty, Junmyeon starts, “hi Areum, you’re pretty energetic today.” Kyungsoo is unconvinced at her behavior, earlier she was moping around, like she made a complete 180 on them.

“I would like to borrow your time, no problem right?” She doesn’t let them answer as she waves them over in her direction.

Kyungsoo sighs and reluctantly gets up, “what a weird child.” Kyungsoo strolls down the grassy hill, careful of each step as he descends. Junmyeon soon comes, as soon as he is finished telling a tired Sehun where he is going to be at. Sehun mumbles and lazily swats him away to enjoy his peace.

Baekhyun waits on a flat rock, legs crossed, with his hand under his chin and lightly taps on his cheek. Baekhyun starts to get sulky. “Sorry, I had you waiting.” Areum pops up in back of Baekhyun and she holds him close, cheek to cheek. “I brought the ones I needed.”

Baekhyun sees Kyungsoo and Junmyeon react strangely. “Okay, who are you and what have you done with Areum.” Junmyeon gives up.

“Remember Odin?” Baekhyun answers.

“Your spirit?” Kyungsoo speaks. Baekhyun silently nods, as he points to a beaming Areum.

“No way…”

“Yes way.” Odin adds on, “now, can each of you tell me who your spirit is? Junmyeon?”

Junmyeon nods, “mines is Alta, he overlooks the sea and waters.”

Odin laughs, “better than how I described Alta to others! Continue please.”

“Fenrir is my spirit, protector of the forests but his home is the forest near Langley. He switches off between his human and wolf form...that’s all I got,” Kyungsoo honestly finishes.

“Good. Now, describe my awesomeness Baekhyun.” Areum latches off of Baekhyun and stands tall, with her chin high up in the air as Odin patiently waits for the best depiction to come from him.

“Ah, uhm…,” Baekhyun scratches the back of his head, “guy dressed in shiny armor I guess.”

Odin eyes enlarge, as the glass background breaks into pieces behind him. “Guy dressed in shiny armor!? I guess!?” You’re supposed to make my entrance magnificent! Fantastic! Work with me here!” Odin poses as he complains in Areum's body.

“Sorry!” Baekhyun panics and has hands faced out, fanning them to calm down his spirit.

Odin mumbles his disappointment to himself, but composes himself, by breathing in and out. “Don’t worry my young grasshopper, you shall know the ways of admiration soon.”  Areum pats his back, with eyes closed and a grin. Odin, still in Areum’s body, imagines both him and Baekhyun on a chariot as they stroll in a parade. They wave to the audience and they both bathe in compliments.

Areum lowly chuckles with slightly open, as Odin daydreams, the sight is startling as Areum starts to drool.

“Odin, sir, you have saliva.” Kyungsoo wipes it off of Areum’s face with a tissue. Odin is now alert and looks left to right. Odin coughs with a fist covering Areum’s mouth and composes himself. “Now, I shall start the reason why I am using Areum’s body to communicate with you all.”

"Like Kris, you shall receive your spirits." Areum smiles.

"Like right now, right now?" Baekhyun feels a bit giddy.

"Yes right now, right now." Odin pauses. "Simply place your hand on this stone here and have your stone amulet in your other hand. The rest should come to you slowly."

The three of them look at each other, probably scared for their wits while the possessed Areum takes Baekhyun's seat and kicks her legs, while rocking her head side to side.

They line up in front of the rock,"ready?" Junmyeon looks at the others for confirmation. "On the count of three. One, two, three!" Junmyeon shouts as the three of the touch the relic at the same time. A surge of electricity goes through their bodies and they fall flat on the ground. Odin, still in Areum's body, just stares, "they'll wake up eventually," she hums.

"Woah!" Kyungsoo screams as his feet land on the floor. He shakily regains balance, slowing arching out his back.

Above him are a pair of screaming brothers, who flap their limbs everywhere and anywhere. They land on their friend, effectively hurting him in the process. “What the hell!?” He growls.

“Heh...sorry buddy.” Junmyeon starts to pick himself up.

“Sorry my .” Kyungsoo glares.

“How come we keep on end up being in different places all the time?!” Baekhyun whines.

“Well, you’re not really in a random location,” a voice speaks and in front of the three, a gold wind of materializes, “it’s just another world between two dimensions.” Odin is before their eyes.

And simultaneously, two figures separate behind Odin; Alta takes the left while Fenrir takes the right. “Hey fellas, how’s it going on the other side? Oh, and don’t worry about Bruce, he’s easy to anger.” Alta speaks while Fenrir is quiet.

“Fine, I suppose? We just finished restocking on our supplies,” Junmyeon pauses, “sorry, but who’s Bruce?”

“My crustacean friend.” Alta answers, “he shouldn’t be that difficult to miss.”

“Crustacean? Oh, you mean that crab," Kyungsoo pauses, "to be honest sir, Areum —," Kyungsoo's mouth is slapped sealed by a frightened Junmyeon.

"What about Areum?" Alta hums.

"N-nothing! Ignore what he said!" Baekhyun's arms flail everywhere.

All of a sudden, Fenrir firmly places his hand on Alta's shoulder.

"Yeah Fenrir?" Alta slightly twists his neck to catch a little bit of Fenrir's calm expression.

By this point Junmyeon and Baekhyun are sweating bullets, while Kyungsoo is forced to be silent.

"Areum."

“We’re done for!”

"She got rid of Bruce."

"Nooooo!"

Junmyeon and Baekhyun shake in fear, while Kyungsoo forces them away.

"Really?" Alta gives a curious look, taking a moment to absorb it in," ah, don't worry about him, he'll just be born again anyways."

Junmyeon and Baekhyun deflate, deluging themselves in thankfulness.

"So boys, tell us what you think we three have in common." Atla starts.

"You're all male." Baekhyun flat out says and Odin face palms at his partner's response.

"Yes, that too,” Alta laughs, “but, what do we do exactly?" The three think in silence.

Junmyeon snaps his fingers, "you protect."

"What do each of protect exactly?" Alta smiles.

"The animals in the forest, the creatures in the sea, and the town people." He anwers.

"Yes, but there is darkness that is getting rid of our residents and we might have an idea of who it is," Alta breathes," centuries ago, Langley was well-known for its nearby serpentine dwellers especially the Snake Kings, you see; these royalties were twins born on different landscapes. The first brother was born from a bubble in the sea, while the second one was deep underneath the ground. Two mischievous kings they were, until they got tired of roaming their lands and messing around with their slithery subjects. So all of a sudden, they sighted a human village—"

"Langley," Baekhyun chips in.

"Correct Baekhyun," Alta pauses, "and they decided that this town would be their new game of capturing prey. The townspeople cried for help; many days have passed, their prayers unheard at the very stone Areum had lead you three to. Until, one day; the three guardians arrived. Sweeping away the two horrible serpents, never to see them again.”

“Twins?” Junmyeon looks at Alta.

“Yes twins.”

“Twins…” Kyungsoo reflects on that single word. Where, when and whom was it from?

“Two identical males are suspicious…”

“The innkeepers!” Kyungsoo exclaims. “Yesterday, Areum was trying to tell us something about the innkeepers but she broke out into frenzy. And Jongin, he got that flyer! It all makes sense!”

“Whoa, Kyungsoo slow down, I’m not up to par with your thinking.” Baekhyun stands up.

“The snakes are the two hosts.” Kyungsoo spouts without hesitation.

“Then we need to head back and tell the others.” Junmyeon quickly gets moving.

“Wait, before we dismiss you three, we have to give you your aeons no?” Alta grins. The trio faces their respective spiritual partner, totally forgetting why they were here in the first place.

“Have your amulets out.” Alta instructs, “close your eyes and just breathe.”

“Please bring peace back to our furry and oceanic residents once more.” Alta whispers.

“Do what you must young grasshopper.” Odin raises out his hand in front of the amulet and it glows a bright amber.

Fenrir nods to Kyungsoo, who nods back. Kyungsoo understands what must be done.

“Goodbye you three, tell the others we said hi!” The three of them wave as a white illuminates the room.

 


 

“Hey...hey...wake up...please?”

Kyungsoo hears a small, fragile voice. His eyes flutter open and he sees Areum with her hair draped nicely around her face. The sunset peeks through her wavy hair and makes her looks like an angel sent from above. He groans as he tries to get himself back on his feet. Areum notices what he is trying to do and quickly walks to his back, and with one push, she supports Kyungsoo’s shoulders; which fails because she’s so tiny. Once she confirms Kyungsoo is alright, she jumps to the next person and gently helps them wake up from their slumber.

“Why are you all sleeping here?” Jongin and the others happen to appear in front of them.

“Jongin! That flyer! I need it.” Kyungsoo starts to remember what he needs to do.

“Calm down, it’s right here.” Jongin takes out the crumpled paper from his pocket and Kyungsoo snatches it away. He smoothes out the paper as he begins to unravel it. Kyungsoo studies it like a hawk and happens to stumble upon the few sentences at the bottom of the page.

“Avoid areas where snakes are heavily populated, snake skins are found, or anything related to these reptiles.”

“Areum!” Kyungsoo angrily calls.

Areum is shocked at the tone of the usually calm person, but complies and genuflects before him.

“Continue what you wanted to say yesterday.”

“Yes sir, the two males that own the inn that we are currently resting in, I suspect that they are the ones repsonsible for the rising counts of deaths in Langley.”

“Now," Kyungsoo pauses, "explain what happened to you.”

Areum freezes, but breathes, “I was put into another dimension, bodies were lying everywhere on the trees, in the sea.” She shakes as she relays what she knows. “Something ate them, like a snake, a-and t-then—” Areum is pulled into a comforting hug.

Kyungsoo pets her hair, “thank you.” Kyungsoo pulls away and wipes the tears that are slowly descending on the little girl’s face.

“We have intel, there’s not much time so I hope there are not so many questions.” Junmyeon aids Areum in recollecting herself, "so many breakdowns already."

“Now, I’m worried about Robin.” Baekhyun rubs his temples. He feels a tug on his shirt, “I promise, as your guardian, that you all and  your friend will come to no harm.” Areum stares at him with reassurance, as she tries to hold back her tears.

“Thank you.” Baekhyun ruffles her hair.

Suddenly, a boom explodes from behind the relic, pelting everyone with chunks of condensed sediments. The flying objects are enlarged in Areum’s eyesight, as they enter a slow motion effect. She charges in with a triumphant roar and radiates a burning amber.

The sound of a squeal rings through the group’s ears, with the appearance of white horse with gold and black armor. In the nick of time; Odin, the great horned knight, and with his mighty, gold sword slashes the rocks into dust. Finally seeing the great hero in the flesh, the group awes.

“I said it before didn’t I?” Areum takes Odin’s shape and gazes upon Baekhyun especially. “I will protect you, an oath I will never break.”

“Yeah.” Baekhyun breathes, with a smile.

“We need to make haste, it’s already night.” Tao worries, getting the group back on track with their mission.

“Understood.” Areum jumps off Odin’s trusty stead and transforms into a horse too with her own protective covering. Her protective covering is gold and white, while the reins are decorated with the twelve stones of lights. They divide into teams of six, with Baekhyun taking control and Junmyeon leads the other.

"Ready?" Areum asks.

"Ready." Baekhyun answers confidently.

"Alright! Move out!"